Author Topic: [CLOSED]EPDM 40a O-ring group buy. [FINI]  (Read 38882 times)

Offline piken

[CLOSED]EPDM 40a O-ring group buy. [FINI]
« on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 08:42:21 »
THIS GB HAS BEEN CLOSED DUE TO INACTIVITY AND THE DISAPPEARANCE OF THE OP. piken, if you come back and still want to still finish up this GB, then PM one of the mods to open it again, or a better option would be to just start a fresh thread again. This one is a bit of a mess.

Hi all,

I am looking to organize a group buy for 40a O-rings. I have been working with a US based o-ring supplier and have worked out a supply price of $0.03 per oring at a supply count of 10k.

They are 5mm+-0.13 x 1.5mm+-0.08 EPDM 40a o-rings.

In order to do this group buy, I need to see the interest of at least 60 people with the rest of the price and o-ring absorbed by me to hopefully be sold on this board later.

In order to get in on this group buy, you will be required to purchase 1 set of 125 o-rings + a portion of the shipping of the o-rings, plus shipping to your location.

The price for the 125 o-rings is $4.25 us.
The shipping portion for each 125 o-ring package will be $0.25 us.
The CONUS shipping (via standard mail as the weight allows it) will be $0.45  (Due to the low price of the item, unless you are purchasing 10+ sets, I will not even discuss priority mail in the CONUS).

If outside the CONUS, the shipping will be at the rate of 1 oz per set to your location from Fort Lauderdale, Fl.

All money for this group buy will be handled via paypal. Upon obtaining the needed volume for the group buy I will submit requests for payment for each persons agreed upon amount. Once all money has been collected, the order will be placed and upon receipt of the order, I will with in 5 days package and send all orders out. (An extra day will be needed for international orders if they cannot be sent via the USPS).

I have decided that for Intl if you do not mind a chance that mail can get lost, I will ship through standard intl mail instead of priority. I will give photo verification of packaging and shipping for all shipments, but will not be held responsible for losses of mail due to postal services.

Please PM me with the following info to get in on the group buy.

Name:
Email (paypal billable):
Quantity (sets):
City to Ship to:
Priority mail (10+ sets): yes/no

Please make sure you have a verified shipping address associated with the paypal email sent in the PM's to me.

Current interest:
73-81 of 60 minimum for purchase.

If we can't get the 60, I will discuss pricing for less with the company, but looks to be the following currently:

1000   $0.08
2000   $0.06
5000   $0.041
10000 $0.034

(If we get enough orders to reach the next price point which is at 15000 o-rings, the price will be reduced slightly.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 April 2012, 23:19:11 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 08:46:53 »
infor1set
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Tarkoon

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 08:48:37 »
If these are EPDM O-rings, could you please tell me the shipping costs of 5 Sets to Germany?

Offline vax

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 08:50:01 »
You HAD to post this after I literally just ordered 1 set from WASD, didn't you?

Offline piken

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 08:59:58 »
Quote from: Tarkoon;521765
If these are EPDM O-rings, could you please tell me the shipping costs of 5 Sets to Germany?

These o-rings are HNBR which is a higher tensile strength material then EPDM with the same reboud, flex, and motion. These have a better heat variance then the EPDM o-rings and are more resistant to tears while maintaining the exact same properties and hardness as the EPDM.

The normal price of these o-rings in a lot of 10k is $0.05 per o-ring. A large medical device manufacturer recently order a large amount and there was a surplus left which is leading to a price of $0.02 less then the normal price.

If these are not purchased, EPDM o-rings would be purchased from the same company at $0.04 for quantities of 10k.

If interested where in Germany so I can give you ball park shipping?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 09:09:28 »
I'm interested in at LEAST one set, probably two.

What a good deal!

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 09:18:59 »
I'd like two sets if shipping to Germany isn't too expensive.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Tarkoon

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 09:20:07 »
Quote from: piken;521777
If interested where in Germany so I can give you ball park shipping?
"ball park shipping" ... even google gives no hint to a proper translation to German! ^^
I live near Cologne. Perhaps it could be interesting to proxy for some other Germans...

Offline shawn o

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 09:22:04 »
Good price, I get all mine directly from McMaster Carr. 125 for $8 or so I think I paid last time?

Offline piken

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 09:36:43 »
Quote from: Tarkoon;521796
"ball park shipping" ... even google gives no hint to a proper translation to German! ^^
I live near Cologne. Perhaps it could be interesting to proxy for some other Germans...

I will stop by the post office on lunch today to see if I can find out USPS priority shipping INTL as that is what I would most likely use as it is cheaper then all others. Will let you know ball park shipping this afternoon.

Offline CaiSter21

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 09:41:25 »
PM sent
Ducky Shine DK 9008S Red LED |Rosewill RK-9000BR

Offline piken

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 09:50:14 »
I have called a few different shipping companies and DHL, Fedex, and UPS are out. The Intl shipping will be done via the flat rate 10x5 envelope.

The shipping of it to Germany is $16.95 which is steep. If we can work out for a few people the best way to ship in bulk out there and have one person distribute it would be helpful. If not, if you pay the shipping I will ship where ever.

So for 5 sets to Germany if paid directly it would be:

3.75 x 5 = $18.75
.75 x 5 = $3.75
shipping = $16.95

Total: $39.45 for 5 sets (625 o-rings)

Offline dirge

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 10:03:09 »
2 sets to the uk please.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline fstop

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 12:00:29 »
In for two sets :)
CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds
CM Storm Quickfire MX Blues
Filco Majestouch-2  MX Browns
RealForce 87uw uniform 45g

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 12:20:19 »
in for 3 sets

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline snowboarder3

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 12:35:03 »
count me in for two sets

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 12:35:25 »
pm'd for 2 sets.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Kisakuku

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:12:37 »
Pm'ed.

Offline piken

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:31:57 »
Updated interest in GB.

If you made mention of wanting into the group buy, please send the requested information in a PM. Questions as always are welcome in the thread here.

Offline sordna

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 14:20:24 »
Quote from: piken;521759

They are 5mm x 1.5mm NB40 o-rings. These are the pink color o-rings sold at WASD for $17.99 us + shipping.

I think what you wrote is misleading, these are not the same o-rings sold at WASD. The WASD ones are a different material, and they are closer to 1.6mm instead of 1.5mm. Can you please update the OP?  I don't think you should even mention the WASD ones, since this is an o-ring that is different in at least 2 respects.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 14:39:26 »
Two sets for me!

May order more if friends want in. :)
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 14:49:38 »
Oh another O-ring group buy? I'm organizing one too, and I'm suppose to get the last shipment in today. Do you want to merge ours together and you take over my group buy also? I didn't realize being an organizer of a GB takes so long. And besides, it looks like you can source them for cheaper than my source here in the US.

And btw, sordna is right, these are not identical to the ones on WASDkeyboard, although they're similar. The ones on WASDkeyboard size is in US inches, so they're a little thicker than the metric sizes on here. And also NB40 is made of nitrile rubber, a little cheaper in cost than WASD's EPDM. Although material shouldn't matter in keyboard application.

Offline piken

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 15:09:11 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;522099
Oh another O-ring group buy? I'm organizing one too, and I'm suppose to get the last shipment in today. Do you want to merge ours together and you take over my group buy also? I didn't realize being an organizer of a GB takes so long. And besides, it looks like you can source them for cheaper than my source here in the US.

And btw, sordna is right, these are not identical to the ones on WASDkeyboard, although they're similar. The ones on WASDkeyboard size is in US inches, so they're a little thicker than the metric sizes on here. And also NB40 is made of nitrile rubber, a little cheaper in cost than WASD's EPDM. Although material shouldn't matter in keyboard application.

I will PM you about your buy.

NB40 is for all 40a nitrile based o-rings. These are the HNBR based version which is of a higher quality then EPDM. If I can get the order in before they run out of stock of them as they are normally a lot more in price they will be at that. If not, they have sourced for me the EPDM version for 4/100 of a cent more.

Sordna, the o-rings from WASD are not actually 1.6mm they are a -009 o-ring which is 1.53mm +-.08. They can be anywhere from 1.45mm to 1.61mm. This is a normal thing for rubber o-rings.

I will be talking with their office further today to determine the dating of the purchase to determine if I will be able to get the higher quality HNBR material (its wear rating is beyond that of EPDM so they will last longer), if I can't get the order together before then, they will be the EPDM variety as NBR (missing the H), will wear too fast to make it through the life of a keyboard.

Offline piken

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 15:26:20 »
Just finished talking with the supplier. The company that they over produced for decided to purchase the rest of the HNBR o-rings so we will be doing the EPDM. Good news is, I have gotten them to eat most of the extra and provide the EPDM at the same at $0.034 per o-ring along with reducing the order charge allowing them to still come out to the same $4.50 ($4.25 + $0.25 per set shipping from company instead of $3.75 + $0.75 per set).

Updating OP now.

Offline sordna

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 15:27:55 »
Quote from: piken;522114
Sordna, the o-rings from WASD are not actually 1.6mm they are a -009 o-ring which is 1.53mm +-.08. They can be anywhere from 1.45mm to 1.61mm. This is a normal thing for rubber o-rings.

No. WASD's o-rings are 008 (4.75mm in diameter, 1.6mm in thickness). You got it wrong about the 009 too, that one is 1.8mm thickness and have way too large diameter to stick on a keycap so they would be completely unsuitable.

In any case, please update your OP, you should not say "these are the WASD o-rings" when yours are different material, different diameter, and different thickness.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline silat

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 15:31:40 »
So are these the WASD rings or not? That makes a difference to me.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline piken

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 15:36:12 »
Quote from: sordna;522132
No. WASD's o-rings are 008 (4.75mm in diameter, 1.6mm in thickness). You got it wrong about the 009 too, that one is 1.8mm thickness and have way too large diameter to stick on a keycap so they would be completely unsuitable.

In any case, please update your OP, you should not say "these are the WASD o-rings" when yours are different material, different diameter, and different thickness.

I have updated the post, but you need to look over the sizing a bit more. 008 and 009 are the same cs material size based on the ASE standard 1.53+-.08 while the ID is different. 4.73+-.13 for 009 vs 4.47+-.13 for 008.

The size of the WASD o-rings are 009 as I sent off one of my o-rings the to company in order to work out the order. They are the ones that correctly sized the o-rings based off of a sample o-ring from my previous order from WASD.

Offline piken

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 15:37:34 »
Quote from: silat;522134
So are these the WASD rings or not? That makes a difference to me.

The o-rings will be the same size and material as the WASD o-rings as they have already received a contract on the remaining of the higher quality material.

Info in OP was updated.

Offline sordna

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 15:44:26 »
I think you are right about 008 and 009 having the same thickness, however both of these are visibly thicker than 1.5mm. Also, WASD's o-rings are 008 for sure. Look at a pic I took comparing WASD, mcmaster carr 008's, and oringsusa.com 008's:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41371[/ATTACH]

In any case, the o-rings you are getting for this group buy seem great, I'm thinking of actually participating (not sure yet), but in any case I just thought it will be better to avoid unnecessary confusion between yours and WASD's.

Offline sordna

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 15:47:08 »
Quote from: piken;522144
The o-rings will be the same size and material as the WASD o-rings as they have already received a contract on the remaining of the higher quality material.

Info in OP was updated.

Hold on, same size you said? So you are you getting 1.5mm metric like the OP says, or AS568 008 o-rings after all? They are close but not quite the same dimensions. I would be interested in trying 1.5mm ones, but not 008 since I have tons of those :-)

EDIT: Here are snippets from sizing charts on 2 different websites, you can see that 009 is 5.3mm diameter, so it wouldn't stick to the keycap stem very well. Not sure what chart you are getting your numbers from.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41376[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 16:18:59 by sordna »

Offline Ovoxo

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 17:20:52 »
In for 3 sets.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 18:23:52 »
In for 2 sets, PM sent

Offline Bertross

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 20:11:54 »
Put me down for 10 sets, postage to australia.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 21:20:20 by Bertross »
REALFORCE 86UB / FILCO MJ2 87 BROWN PBT WHITE/BLUE

Offline h2oxide

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 20:17:22 »
Quote from: Bertross;522415
i might be interested in over 10 maybe 20 sets. location Australia.

Desperate for Bert to get these

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 20:21:45 »
didn't send a pm. should i send a pm now or wait until you're accepting orders?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline KylJoy

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 20:23:09 »
PM sent!  In for 2 sets!

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 21:04:15 »
I'm in for two sets.

Offline Moistened

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 21:21:00 »
PM sent for 2 sets
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 February 2012, 21:04:48 by Moistened »

Offline Bertross

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 21:21:18 »
Quote from: h2oxide;522423
Desperate for Bert to get these

ill go 10 or else it gets crazy, PM me op when your ready for payment.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 22:39:34 by Bertross »
REALFORCE 86UB / FILCO MJ2 87 BROWN PBT WHITE/BLUE

Offline sordna

1.5mm metric vs 008 o-rings
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 23:53:19 »
WhiteFireDragon posted some really great photos in his thread that can illlustrate the difference between 1.5mm metric and the more common 008 o-rings.
What I don't know is why the sizing charts say the 008 (1/16" thick) are 1.78mm thick, but doing the conversion 1/16 * 2.54 gives 1.5875mm.
Any ideas?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41447[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 February 2012, 00:27:30 by sordna »

Offline dingo

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 00:32:32 »
PM sent for 10 sets

Offline piken

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 06:29:34 »
The sizing they had listed in the initial quote based on the o-ring I sent them is 5mm x 1.5mm. I have begun the paperwork of finalizing the order based on the 40a o-ring from WASD I provided. The final sizing will be as follows, 4.5mm +- 0.13 x 1.5mm +- 0.08.

This is based on the measurements they took from a sample o-ring I provided. This might not be the official size reported of the WASD o-rings, but they are identical to what I have from them currently and enjoy.

I will hold the order open till March 1st to see how many orders we get, but the current out look is good.

Offline piken

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 06:37:29 »
The minimum for the purchase has been reached. I will close out the order and send payment requests on 03/01/12. This will include the final payment amount along with intl shipping if you are not in the US.

Please make sure you have a verified shipping address associated with the paypal email sent in the PM's to me.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 07:28:26 »
Okay, if any other Germans are interested, I will take two sets. Tarkoon?
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline piken

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 08:45:37 »
Updated OP, Will ship intl priority(prefered) or standard. The condition of this is I will provide photo verification of packaging and shipping, but will not be held responsible for lost mail due to the postal service.

Offline piken

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 08:46:14 »
I will compile a list of participants and set count later today.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 14:11:24 »
I'm sorry for the question. I'm confuse about the size. Is it the same thickness as WASD?
Because I just brought the pink 40A from them lately.
Thanks.

Offline piken

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 14:27:33 »
Quote from: quake4mhg;523363
I'm sorry for the question. I'm confuse about the size. Is it the same thickness as WASD?
Because I just brought the pink 40A from them lately.
Thanks.

Sizes can vary by batch. This order is lining up with my previous set from WASD (sent one of for sizing to the manufacturer making these). It appears mine were a little thinner then what others have gotten.

These will be 4.5mm+-0.13 x 1.5mm+-.08

Offline sordna

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 14:34:15 »
I suspect the company measured it a bit off... it's very easy to squeeze a soft o-ring while measuring it and throw the measurement off. Anyway, looks like they are giving you metric 4.5 x 1.5mm o-rings. If you are going metric, 5mm x 1.5mm would be slightly better (easier to put on the keycaps) but functionally the same.

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 15:00:12 »
PM sent for 5 sets.
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali