geekhack Community > Keyboards

Looking for a low profile tactile switch

<< < (2/2)

zmaster:

--- Quote from: Maledicted on Mon, 20 June 2022, 14:34:38 ---
--- Quote from: zmaster on Tue, 14 June 2022, 02:03:01 ---Yes, I was talking about key travel. I noticed that when I needed to type the same letter twice it was much easier on my old keyboard due to the shorter key travel.

--- End quote ---

How long did you use the Bobas before you decided you needed something with less travel? It is always a jarring experience if you switch between something like a chiclet keyboard and a more traditional iteration of a mechanical board. I literally could not type properly whenever I had to use other people's Macbooks just momentarily. This happens for me even if I switch between vastly different weightings and/or tactile events with similar travel.

I would give it a week and see if you acclimatize.

--- End quote ---

I used it for about a month, I figured that was enough to judge. In retrospect, I guess the binding was more annoying that the key travel.

controller-works:
I would recommend the Kailh Chocolate v1 switches. There are Browns with a medium force of 50g and Burnt Orange (corrected) with a heavy force of 70g. The travel is only 3mm. However, you must use these with a keyboard specifically designed for them.
Here is a video over of the v1 switches.

Findecanor:
The Kailh V1 Brown is not very tactile. This actual measured force graph shows only a small difference. Even full-size Cherry MX and Kailh Brown have a larger dip after the bump.

Kailh Choc Dark Yellow is a linear switch. Maybe you were thinking of the Kailh Choc Dark Orange - which has the same slider shape as the Brown but a stiffer spring. However,  same slider + stiffer spring ⇒ less tactile feel, as the force to overcome the tactile bump is smaller relative to the total force needed to press it.

controller-works:
Yes. You are right. We call the heavy tactile switches "Burnt Orange". I have corrected my post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version