Author Topic: [Ordered] Laser cut titanium 60% plates  (Read 50571 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: [Ordered] Laser cut titanium 60% plates
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:44:52 »
You are most likely using the wrong media for titanium in your tumbler. That or you need to go to a multi step process for finishing. The media that is in there now is for finishing. You need a more aggressive media more then likely. If you want a shinier finish then you would use the media you have now after you use the initial more aggressive media. I have no suggestions for media for titanium since I mostly deal with tumbling aluminum and some steel, mostly 1018.

Yup, I finally got the tools out of the shaker, it didn't really do much other than breaking the edge a bit. Sand paper worked a lot better to actually "polish" the faces and take away the laser cut edge.

I doubt there is any other media to use, and it took long enough as is.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline OverKill

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:52:08 »
You are most likely using the wrong media for titanium in your tumbler. That or you need to go to a multi step process for finishing. The media that is in there now is for finishing. You need a more aggressive media more then likely. If you want a shinier finish then you would use the media you have now after you use the initial more aggressive media. I have no suggestions for media for titanium since I mostly deal with tumbling aluminum and some steel, mostly 1018.

Yup, I finally got the tools out of the shaker, it didn't really do much other than breaking the edge a bit. Sand paper worked a lot better to actually "polish" the faces and take away the laser cut edge.

Oh i am sure there is media out there for it. It may be that even an aggressive media for steel would work ok for what you want. The problem is those stones are for sek finishing or finishing. They are used a lot in reloading. Throw all your brass in to clean it up for 8 hours or so and it comes out good as new. There are also compounds you can put in the water to help polish better.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 13:43:38 »
unworked steel doesn't quite have the surface hardness of titanium. surface hardness of cp4 is similar to precipitation hardened stainless (17, 18 series), or heat treated cold worked mild steel. it's also very similar to precipitation hardened aluminum alloys, but quite a bit less than anodized aluminum. for reference, it's in the C20s on the rockwell scale.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 13:48:17 »

Oh i am sure there is media out there for it. It may be that even an aggressive media for steel would work ok for what you want. The problem is those stones are for sek finishing or finishing. They are used a lot in reloading. Throw all your brass in to clean it up for 8 hours or so and it comes out good as new. There are also compounds you can put in the water to help polish better.

Oh I'm sure there is a media out there too. However, I doubt the metals department has it since they almost never use ti. Plus, I wasn't picky since most of the time they don't like doing personal projects, even as simple as media tumbling.

I'll have pictures up of the hand sanded one up once I find a camera.

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 21:04:09 »
i am picking up the second plate of raw (finished but uncut) material tomorrow.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 07:39:40 »
Any news on shipping out the first round? They were cut a while ago :/. Are we maybe waiting for second round or something? or switch tools...seems like they're done/almost done?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 08:06:37 »
Any news on shipping out the first round? They were cut a while ago :/. Are we maybe waiting for second round or something? or switch tools...seems like they're done/almost done?

I'm waiting on getting tools done. They need to be hand sanded, ground, checked and bent before I can ship them. The people who got plates get priority as a bonus but I have to get done with them first...

Offline geniekid

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 14:27:40 »

Pics of *raw* plates please!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 17:53:49 »

I'm waiting on getting tools done. They need to be hand sanded, ground, checked and bent before I can ship them. The people who got plates get priority as a bonus but I have to get done with them first...

Cool, thanks!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 23:24:23 »

Pics of *raw* plates please!

the uncut sheet looks pretty much like the ground plate in the picture above (although it was a potato-pic, i can't fit the whole sheet and skid into my apartment at the moment)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 22:19:25 »
I got 7 sets ground tonight. I'm hoping to get those 7 sanded and bent tomorrow so I can sent out a PM for shipping info.

Hoping..... no promises :|

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 07:14:58 »
Fingers crossed xD

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 17:51:14 »
Alright, I don't see myself getting switch tools done. So I'll be sending PMs for shipping info/payment for all GB members. You'll still get first dibs at switch tools, but I feel bad about hanging onto these plates this long, I know you guys want them.

Only thing that sucks will  be shipping for switch tools if you want them....

Expect PMs later tonight or tomorrow.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:39:49 »
i think this is the right plan. shipping switch tools is only a couple dollars.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #214 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 13:02:41 »
My plate showed up. The laser work seems pretty good, but unfortunately the plate arrived pretty warped:

(Sorry for the ****ty pic)

Anyways, hopefully it can be straightened out somehow to make it useable. The middle of the plate is about 5mm raised.

Did all of the plates come out like this? Is there a chance it happened in shipping?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #215 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 13:18:33 »
My plate showed up. The laser work seems pretty good, but unfortunately the plate arrived pretty warped:

Show Image

Anyways, hopefully it can be straightened out somehow to make it useable. The middle of the plate is about 5mm raised.

Did all of the plates come out like this? Is there a chance it happened in shipping?

That is very common with plates from The_Beast. It's from when he runs one side of the plate through the sander to remove the burrs, etc. You can just bend it straight by hand.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #216 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 13:38:14 »

Show Image

That is very common with plates from The_Beast. It's from when he runs one side of the plate through the sander to remove the burrs, etc. You can just bend it straight by hand.

Thanks for the advice, JD.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #217 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 18:03:57 »

Show Image

Thanks for the advice, JD.

I place the smallest end on a table, and the other edge in my hand. Using my other hand, I just push down until the plate lays flat. You can fine tune the bending my moving your hand until it's flat.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #218 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 18:07:21 »
gentle pressure on this material flattens it out quite nicely. remember that to make a slightly winged material flat, you can't just flatten it and hope it stays that way. you have to bend it very slightly against the bend so that it is, under pressure, bent slightly in the exact opposite arc, and then release the pressure slowly. the_beast's method is quite nice, not to gain extra leverage, but to keep careful control over the process.

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #219 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 04:46:25 »
Received in the UK, thanks beast. Mine was also warped. I was an idiot and tried to fix it to my PCB anyway....didn't work,  typing surface remained warped and PCB just bent with the plate. Keyboard was 100% functional just not flat. I'm going to get a new poker2 and try and straighten out the plate this time.
With Beast's method do i pout a small section of the plate on the table and then press into it , then shift along so more plate is on the table and bend it flat piece by piece? Is there a risk I can snap it by hand? I know titanium is strong but I don't want to be over confident with my hulk hands :)

Thanks

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 02:34:47 »
snapping it in half requires about a 2 ton press. you're safe there.

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 13:24:13 »
snapping it in half requires about a 2 ton press. you're safe there.

Yeh im 95% there to having it flat. Just bending it on the table worked like a charm.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 13:11:20 »
Nevermind, it went to the correct address and was waiting for me when I got in last night.  Sorry for the false alarm.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 08:45:26 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #223 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 16:02:18 »
I don't mean to hijack the post, but I figured since you're doing this for 60% plates... I'm curious if it would be possible to do the same for 75% plates. (A QFR / Filco plate for example). There are a lot of people that would be interested in acquiring them from you (including myself) if you were able to do that.

EDIT: nvm didn't see it was a group buy  :'(

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 17:21:17 by IonutZ »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 21:35:03 »
i may do a few 80% (TKL) plates in round 3 (round 2 is in the geekhackers vendor forum). i would have to get them to nest nicely with the 60% GH60 plates i'll be running though, which is tough because of the dimensions (4.something by 13.something inches -- just a little too big to use the space efficiently...)

Offline nukec

• that rug really tied the room together
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 18:05:35 »
Hi are you going to do new round for 60% poker II ?
HHKB Pro2, Poker2 Blue, KBPV60 Brown, DuckyShine3 Brown

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #226 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 00:18:24 »
Is this still active?

If so, does the plate fit onto GON's NS38?

Thanks.

Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline limitz

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 16:57:32 »
Bump for question:

Is this buy associated at all with this?:

http://www.geekhackers.org/collections/keyboard-accessories/products/60-keyboard-titanium-switch-plates-with-notches-for-switch-disassembly

Because it doesn't seem like this buy is active anymore, and I just put in an order for that titanium plate. I don't want to be throwing money down a well if it's not going to get made.

If it is, and it's not being made anymore, I'm going to go ahead and cancel my order.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 05:47:26 »
Bump for question:

http://www.geekhackers.org/collections/keyboard-accessories/products/60-keyboard-titanium-switch-plates-with-notches-for-switch-disassembly

Because it doesn't seem like this buy is active anymore, and I just put in an order for that titanium plate. I don't want to be throwing money down a well if it's not going to get made.

If it is, and it's not being made anymore, I'm going to go ahead and cancel my order.

I was in on Round 1 of the 60% plates and they are well worth the money. That being said if it is on geekhackers.org it is going to happen. The site is along the lines of ctrlalt.io, techkeys.net, and many of the other reliable vendor pages.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 09:17:50 »
ISO Plate installed

http://imgur.com/a/gBROA

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #230 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 10:26:00 »
Bump for question:

yah, i just have to collect enough orders to run a full sheet

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 06:27:27 »
Are these plates still available?

Offline limitz

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:16:17 »
Yes, geekhackers.org

Gogogo so we can get a full sheet faster.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 17:06:42 »
Yes, geekhackers.org

Gogogo so we can get a full sheet faster.
How many till a full sheet? ;p may order more than one.

Offline limitz

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:15:47 »
You'll have to message Mkawa.

I was considering adding a TKL plate as well, to fill up the sheet faster. Let me know what you find.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #235 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 21:07:20 »
You'll have to message Mkawa.

I was considering adding a TKL plate as well, to fill up the sheet faster. Let me know what you find.
Ok cheers for the help :))

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 13:32:42 »
ISO Plate installed

Show Image

http://imgur.com/a/gBROA

I just bought a board with this plate in it and I noticed something I also notice in this picture. It doesn't seem like the switches snap into the plate. I believe they need 1.5mm plate to be able to snap in but this is just about 2mm thick. I notice the plate bending in some places and the switches not sitting flush with the plate. You can see it on the right most switch in the picture above. Is this just something we have to live with? I'm guessing so. Just seems to defeat the point of a plate if you cant snap anything to it, including costar stabs.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 13:47:49 »
I don't think those plates were 2mm thick. mkawa supplied the sanded titanium material to The_Beast to be lasered, so he would know. But they were suppose to be 1.5mm thick.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #238 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:01:16 »
I don't think those plates were 2mm thick. mkawa supplied the sanded titanium material to The_Beast to be lasered, so he would know. But they were suppose to be 1.5mm thick.

Hmm, I just pulled mine back out of it's case and it measures 2.0mm. OP says it's .078" which is 1.98mm. Kinda bummed I bought this now. Seems silly to make a plate that can't correctly act as a plate.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #239 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:11:23 »

Hmm, I just pulled mine back out of it's case and it measures 2.0mm. OP says it's .078" which is 1.98mm. Kinda bummed I bought this now. Seems silly to make a plate that can't correctly act as a plate.
Huh, that's very strange.

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 18:13:41 »

Nope, kawa supplied 14 gauge ti

- Material
- 14 gauge/.078" CP4 grade (aerospace grade) titanium provided by mkawa

The plate I have installed seems to work fine with the thicker plate

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 13:14:34 »

Nope, kawa supplied 14 gauge ti

- Material
- 14 gauge/.078" CP4 grade (aerospace grade) titanium provided by mkawa

The plate I have installed seems to work fine with the thicker plate

It "works" in the sense that it seems to stay put. But it's just held in place with friction. Switches wont snap in, nor will Costar stabilizers. The plate is too thick and the clips can't seat correctly causing the stabilizers to bind. I can work my way around the plate pushing it down and it will fall off of the switches and hit the PCB.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2015, 13:21:14 by MrRooks »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 13:38:30 »
It "works" in the sense that it seems to stay put. But it's just held in place with friction. Switches wont snap in, nor will Costar stabilizers. The plate is too thick and the clips can't seat correctly causing the stabilizers to bind. I can work my way around the plate pushing it down and it will fall off of the switches and hit the PCB.

You just need a 3mm thick spacer with oversized switch holes under that plate, and you're golden. :)

in memoriam