Author Topic: KeyKollectiv's Artisan Keycap Project Thread  (Read 54876 times)

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
KeyKollectiv's Artisan Keycap Project Thread
« on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 14:31:01 »
Paying Dues before Paying the Rent

I thought it was appropriate to finally show my face around here. I wanted to introduce myself to the GeekHack community. I’ve been a lurker here for quite some time and frankly, my apprehension to do so comes from the fact that I’ve felt pretty intimidated by the community. That’s not to say I haven’t had some great interactions with some members of GeekHack because I certainly have. Overall, I’ve found the community has been incredibly knowledgeable and receptive thus far.

I’m currently in my third week of resin casting. So far, I’ve dumped quite a bit of money and time into the learning process. The resources and specifics available for doing so is fairly limited on the internet if you’re not absolutely sure what you’re looking for. With that said, I can say with absolute certainty that the process would’ve been much more difficult without the hard work of the artisan community here at GeekHack. You can say that I am standing on the shoulders of giants so with humility and reverence, I wanted to thank those who paved the way to make the world of artisan keycap a respected and established craft.

Clack: You’ve set the bar. A high one at that. A true pioneer.
Brocaps: The level of precision and quality is truly unparalleled. If I could put something out at a fraction of skill you do, I would be so lucky.
Martinyeah/Hotkeys: You’ve elevated the craft with the level of detail and complexity. A true innovator who will take this field to it’s pinnacle.
Hipsterpunks/KWK: When form meets function. Unique and stylistic. Bringing aesthetic and artistic expression to the forefront.
Binge/Nubbinator: The tutorials written by you guys have open doors for many aspiring artisans. Watching the progression in terms of skills and technique has been incredible and inspiring. Without the likes of you, I wouldn’t be where I am today. My gratitude goes out to you guys.
Booper: Your write-up has been a case study on what to do right in the learning process. The refinement in your work as well as the updates gives way for accessibility and inspiration to beginners. Kudos.
Katzenkinder/Krytone: Anyone looking to learn and develop needs to look no further than your posts. Through experimentation, you guys have given me a lot of insight on how to hone my skills.

The list I just provided is, by no means, a definitive list of those who I respect and want to show appreciation to. There are countless artisans in this community that have contributed greatly to this craft and without you, the field wouldn’t be where it is today. My apologies if you were not mentioned directly.

So where am I today? My background is in toy design but I am currently working as a director of international sales at a small design company as my day job. Since picking up resin casting, I’ve passed down everything I’ve learned to my GF. Since I own mainly Topre keyboards, that has been my primary focus. My GF on the other hand prefers here ergo clears so she has been making her own artisan keycaps. In fact, as we speak, she is working tirelessly on a project to fulfill orders for her new keycap. For me, I am simply not at a point where I feel confident enough to put anything out. Topre has been a bit of a challenge for me. Until I can come up with a blank template that is satisfactory in quality and precision, I refuse to put anything out there. Besides, given the number of skilled artisans in the community, I have big shoes to fill.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for GeekHack. I’d be happy to share my findings with anyone interested in my learning process. I look forward to contributing to the community and being a part of it. Expect any major updates on this thread. Thanks for reading :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 19:28:20 by kudosgodspeed »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Paying dues before paying the rent
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 14:35:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack :). Always nice to see people getting their hands dirty and making cool stuff. Maybe you can keep us updated with your progress. Build logs are a lot of fun! Looking forward to seeing how your work turns out.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 14:37:03 »
 :thumb: this is why the community existst. So we can spread the love of keyboard magic. I hope to see many more updates from you.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 14:38:33 »
You had me at the thread title. That attitude will earn you much respect here.

Welcome to Geekhack!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 14:54:08 »
Wow!  Exciting!  Welcome!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline scubaste

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 14:59:02 »
Nice write up. You seem to have a good outlook on the current state of artisan caps and how to approach the hobby in general. I felt like your compliments to the various creators were accurate and sincere. I am interested to see what you and your GF are making. Welcome and good look on your cap making pursuits.

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:03:07 »
Week 1

After the initial two weeks of acquiring equipment and materials, I decided that the research I've compiled from the internet was enough to do a test run. After extensively studying Binge's and Booper's tutorials as well as spending time with a friend who works at Reynold's Advanced Materials, I decided that ****footing was no longer an option. I spent some time putting together some sketches before sculpting.

For this project, I wanted to have a specific theme. I decided it would be best to pay tribute to Matt30's Skull Squadron keyset. I attributed that set as what had brought me back to my love for mechanical keyboards. Before seeing it, I had given up on collecting keyboards. My Ducky Shine sat at my computer desk collecting dust. Work was ramping up and I had decided to go back to school for concept design.

Seeing that set brought back what I loved about the mech community in the first place. Although I never did get around to acquiring this set, I wanted to pay tribute to this masterpiece. At first, the goal was to make a complimentary cap with a Macross theme. I scrapped that idea and went with a more literal approach:

Initial sketches

First Master when I realized I hated Super Sculpey for masters (Bottom Jaw came off in mould). Great for other resin casting applications though:

Test Cast:

First Run experimenting with dyes and ratios:

Eventually, I decided that the master was not up to standards. The surface was too rough and overall composition felt very generic. I ended up scrapping the design in hopes of returning one day when I was much more practiced. I did, however, learn a few things along the way:

Patience is a virtue in resin casting. ****ty masters make ****ty casts. Fix and perfect before continuing to the next step. And lastly, RTFM!
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:05:18 by kudosgodspeed »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:06:02 »
ITT: I wish I could trade my sketching skills for kudosgodspeed's :(. Good looks :).

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:09:05 »
Between a full time job, managing properties and design school, the thought of taking on an exhaustive hobby like resin casting seemed daunting to say the least. My solution, teach my GF. She had always mentioned the lack of cute options for girls who didn't want skulls on their keycaps. Being the neurotic person I am, I compiled an extensive tutorial for her. Here is a sample of it:

More to come....

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:16:10 »
Week 2

I can say with absolute certainty that my GF loves her cats dearly. Before I even showed her the casting process, she already envisioned the thought of high-fiving her kittens whenever she typed. She took that idea and ran with it:

These critters were the inspiration:

So it seems shes a faster learner than me:

In a weeks time, she is now heading a group buy. I am both proud and emasculated:

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:25:54 »
Week 3: Learning to crawl before you walk.

I have to admit, seeing the artisans on GH has been intimidating. I'm constantly looking at their work and wondering how the hell they pulled off the precision. Sure, design is amazing and contributes to the overall aesthetics but what got me going were the sharp lines, clean edges. Was I going to achieve that with Super-Sculpey. I could but it didn't feel ideal. I decided that before I put out some crazy keycap that showcased design, that I would have to start from the ground up.

I cannot emphasize enough how much I respect and admire people like Brobot and Hipsterpunks. Yes, I love their designs but the baseline template they used. My god. They were architects. So I decided I needed to start from scratch. Practice technique, ratios, sculpting. Garbage in, garbage out. Up to this point, I was putting out garbage. So I started experimenting with stock caps. Building layers. Reinforcing that annoying topre stem.

To this date, I have not achieved my goal. Constant test runs and subsequent testing led to unsatisfactory results. With finals coming up, deadlines at work, surgery coming up and being low on funds, I have decided to shelf my topre experiments and help my GF with her Cherry MX Meowcaps group buy until I get my bearings. Expect more updates soon :)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 10:08:23 »
Kudos, just to address your latest post.

You will NEVER be low on funds on geekhack based on what I've seen you do.

Custom casting of Topre keycaps? The awesome translucent kitten paw? The translucent keys in different colors?

If you start a production line you can sell stuff easy. The folks on this forum go insane when it comes to custom artisan caps. You would need to seriously piss off your customers not to attain four figure sales every month.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 08:01:26 »
Show Image

Nice looking caps!

And I like that handstyle :)

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 14:31:01 »
Nice write up. You seem to have a good outlook on the current state of artisan caps and how to approach the hobby in general. I felt like your compliments to the various creators were accurate and sincere. I am interested to see what you and your GF are making. Welcome and good look on your cap making pursuits.

Welcome to Geekhack :). Always nice to see people getting their hands dirty and making cool stuff. Maybe you can keep us updated with your progress. Build logs are a lot of fun! Looking forward to seeing how your work turns out.

Wow!  Exciting!  Welcome!

You had me at the thread title. That attitude will earn you much respect here.

Welcome to Geekhack!

:thumb: this is why the community existst. So we can spread the love of keyboard magic. I hope to see many more updates from you.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm hoping to make significant gains in development this week. Meowcaps are currently halfway through production so I will be indisposed until we finalize. In the meantime, I've been fine tuning my resin casting techniques and have found a regimen that produces an incredibly sturdy template to work off of. Once complete, expect a few surprises in the horizon. Thank you for the encouragement and support  :thumb:

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 14:37:08 »

Custom casting of Topre keycaps? The awesome translucent kitten paw? The translucent keys in different colors?

If you start a production line you can sell stuff easy. The folks on this forum go insane when it comes to custom artisan caps. You would need to seriously piss off your customers not to attain four figure sales every month.

Thanks beserk. To be honest, I only got into resin casting keycaps because I got tired of the lack of options for topre users. I figured, until I win a Brocap raffle or shell out $150 to Widebasket, it's slim pickings for me. My departure from Cherry MX was bittersweet because I knew I would be walking away from cosmetic customization. Luckily, I can customize to my heart's content now.

Only problem is that, although keycaps are fairly cheap to produce, making mistakes can be incredibly costly. The thought of selling any of my stuff was not driven by profit but rather to recoup the cost of my failures. I really appreciate your kindness and support. Expect some surprises soon!

PS- For those who feel that I've turned my back on Cherry. My GF will be casting in Cherry primarily and from the response from Meowcaps, the demand for cuteness is definitely there  :-*

Show Image

Nice looking caps!

Thanks CPT. Your encouragement means a lot. I wish I had a little more freedom to showcase my writing but I have to keep it legible for the fans. Grew up in NYC with 15+ years of writing. Unfortunately, this old ******* can no longer hop fences and get vandalism charges anymore. Hoping I can express my passions in this format. Expect some updates soon  ;D

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 14:41:20 »
These look amazing.  I've been following your work on reddit.  Keep it up! :)
Hi :)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 17:09:23 »
Awesome work Kudos!
Those paw caps make my inner kitty purr!  xD

Paw Five!

Week 2
Show Image

Offline btctopre

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 17:31:22 »
Just thought I'd share a pic of the caps that kudos gifted me (Ctrl/Backspace/Fn):

And if you were to tell me that the person that made this had only been making caps for a month, I wouldn't believe you. There are no bubbles! (Apologies for lighting/quality, phone had a difficult time focusing on the purple)

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 21:16:47 »

Thanks beserk. To be honest, I only got into resin casting keycaps because I got tired of the lack of options for topre users. I figured, until I win a Brocap raffle or shell out $150 to Widebasket, it's slim pickings for me. My departure from Cherry MX was bittersweet because I knew I would be walking away from cosmetic customization. Luckily, I can customize to my heart's content now.

Only problem is that, although keycaps are fairly cheap to produce, making mistakes can be incredibly costly. The thought of selling any of my stuff was not driven by profit but rather to recoup the cost of my failures. I really appreciate your kindness and support. Expect some surprises soon!

PS- For those who feel that I've turned my back on Cherry. My GF will be casting in Cherry primarily and from the response from Meowcaps, the demand for cuteness is definitely there  :-*

Show Image

Nice looking caps!

Thanks CPT. Your encouragement means a lot. I wish I had a little more freedom to showcase my writing but I have to keep it legible for the fans. Grew up in NYC with 15+ years of writing. Unfortunately, this old ******* can no longer hop fences and get vandalism charges anymore. Hoping I can express my passions in this format. Expect some updates soon  ;D
I have also been following your work on reddit I found your threads just as you stopped excepting Topre donations 8( anyways hopefully these caps provide  better entertainment/gratification and  much better financial contribution to your life then good old vandalism and fence hopping lol I also really appreciate your thorough writing style(its a pleasure to read) you can bet ill be awaiting anxiously to read any and all updates as well as hopefully score some of your work. I have zero Topre artisans and these look amazing. Color me impressed !
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 22:15:08 »

Thank you for your kind words. The community has been overwhelmingly supportive and it's definitely been a driving force when I mess up a mould or I find holes in my resin. Much appreciated  :)

Just thought I'd share a pic of the caps that kudos gifted me (Ctrl/Backspace/Fn):
Show Image

And if you were to tell me that the person that made this had only been making caps for a month, I wouldn't believe you. There are no bubbles! (Apologies for lighting/quality, phone had a difficult time focusing on the purple)
Show Image

I'm a bit embarrassed to have my early stuff out there but if anything, maybe I can look back at those and laugh at how bad they are. Rest assured you'll be getting some real ones soon  ;D

Awesome work Kudos!

Paw Five!

Week 2
Show Image

Thanks man. I can't take credit for those. I'll be sure to relay the message to the lady  ;D

Show Image

Nice looking caps!

I have also been following your work on reddit I found your threads just as you stopped excepting Topre donations 8( anyways hopefully these caps provide  better entertainment/gratification and  much better financial contribution to your life then good old vandalism and fence hopping lol I also really appreciate your thorough writing style(its a pleasure to read) you can bet ill be awaiting anxiously to read any and all updates as well as hopefully score some of your work. I have zero Topre artisans and these look amazing. Color me impressed !

Thanks so much Sed. The encouragement from you has helped a great deal throughout the process. I can't, in my right mind, accept money for anything I can't stand behind. Until the quality is up to standards, all funding will come straight from my pocket. I'd be glad to ship you a few samples of my work once the new template is complete. Shoot me your info and I'll see what I can do.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 22:35:13 »

Thank you for your kind words. The community has been overwhelmingly supportive and it's definitely been a driving force when I mess up a mould or I find holes in my resin. Much appreciated  :)

Show Image

Show Image

I'm a bit embarrassed to have my early stuff out there but if anything, maybe I can look back at those and laugh at how bad they are. Rest assured you'll be getting some real ones soon  ;D

Awesome work Kudos!

Paw Five!

Week 2
Show Image

Thanks man. I can't take credit for those. I'll be sure to relay the message to the lady  ;D

Show Image

Nice looking caps!

Thanks so much Sed. The encouragement from you has helped a great deal throughout the process. I can't, in my right mind, accept money for anything I can't stand behind. Until the quality is up to standards, all funding will come straight from my pocket. I'd be glad to ship you a few samples of my work once the new template is complete. Shoot me your info and I'll see what I can do.
Thanks so much man and yes I would love some of these and I will shoot you my info but I really want you to know I am just a fan and stuff like this inspires me ! If you need anything Topre caps etc please just ask and thanks again definitely excited to see your work when things slow down from the GB !

Mod Edit: Removed poster's own address
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2015, 23:00:10 by HoffmanMyster »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 22:40:05 »
Sed you might want to pm him cause you have your address out for everyone to see  :p
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 22:49:30 »
Awesome work Kudos!

Paw Five!

Thank you for bringing these to us Kudos!  :thumb:
The quality on the caps looks amazing and I love (especially the pale) translucent colors! <3
The Paw Five caps look so cute tho! xD

Definitely can't wait for a first sale and I think many people would be really glad to help you funding the project! =)
I already feel bad to mention this and don't want to sound like begging for free stuff (which I am tho xD) but if you ever want to send out some samples I would be super up for some of these Topre blank beauties!  :thumb:

Just ordered an hhkb as a home my first bro cap and I would love to get my hands on one of these to go along with it!  :)

I would personally be glad to donate in order to help funding of course and I really wouldn't be asking for something if I had a choice...
Maybe you could do a early fundraiser / donation sale of some sort! 

« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2015, 22:51:36 by FoC_Tow »

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 23:18:06 »
For sure FoC, as long as you're aware that these are just early prototypes, I've got no problems sending you a few samples. PM me your info and I'll see what I can do. Bear in mind, I'm neck deep in production right now so it might take a little bit.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 23:43:40 »
For sure FoC, as long as you're aware that these are just early prototypes, I've got no problems sending you a few samples. PM me your info and I'll see what I can do. Bear in mind, I'm neck deep in production right now so it might take a little bit.

OMG, thx soo much man!   :)
I'll shoot you a pm in a bit!

Appreciate it a lot and I'm super stoked!!  :thumb:

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 04:16:37 »
Sed you might want to pm him cause you have your address out for everyone to see  :p
thanks captain I could of swore I pm'd that. Thank you for the quick edit. I worked a 10 hour shift  and had a few drinks lol Hehe appreciate it guys.

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 04:39:32 »
So, where can i get one? need one asap  :eek:

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 11:59:40 »

Show Image

Just getting started  :cool:

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 12:29:46 »

Show Image

Just getting started  :cool:
Show Image

lol got to love Willie gifs

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 21:10:31 »
mmmmm

96842-0

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 21:23:00 »
mmmmm

(Attachment Link)

So clean looking!  :thumb:  These are great looking caps, I am excited about all of these topre options coming out!

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 21:32:52 »
mmmmm

(Attachment Link)

So clean looking!  :thumb:  These are great looking caps, I am excited about all of these topre options coming out!
I know I really love how clean these look. In trans i imagine it would be easier to see defects and I can't see these too well but they look great!
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 April 2015, 05:55:47 by Sed8op8 »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 19:31:21 »
Hey man glad to see you made a thread! Some have seen the photo I posted in the artisans thread of the purple and teal blanks. You are a toy makers that sounds amazing! Look forward to seeing more of your keycap work!

My kudosgodspeed Topre blanks!

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 19:40:18 by dustinhxc »

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:10:57 »

Hey guys! Kudos here. I wanted to give a quick sneak peak on an upcoming mini-sale that I am planning for the Topre fans out there. After a few weeks of tweaking out different colors, I’ve finally mixed some that I am satisfied with. I’ve always drooled over CMYK mods but hated the fact that I couldn’t have them on my Topre boards (aside from Novatouch sliders).

In the coming week (most likely Sunday July. 19th), I plan on releasing a few sets to the public. These are Beta versions as I am still deep in development. With the proceeds from this sale, I plan on investing in prototyping and production for the official release. Because these sets are early versions, I have a very limited supply.

These will be available for HHKB and Realforce format (Sorry Leopold). Yes, I’m aware that RF boards have a different left Control key. Rest assured, I have accounted for the different stem :). For the beta version, I am including a free R4 keycap as a bonus for purchasing the set. I will also have limited supplies of WASD/Homing/Nav Clusters as add-ons.

If you are interested in purchasing or even curious to see what KeyKollectiv has in store in the future, please feel free to sign up for our official newsletter at:

http://eepurl.com/bh9p6v

Ordering and release information will be sent out via newsletter as well as posted online. Please understand that quantities are incredibly limited.

PS- If we have any prior arrangements for future launches, expect a set in the mail by next week :D

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:19:58 »
Wow! The cmyk sets are looking good! Excited to see what is coming in the future. :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:57:06 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 08:22:36 by esoomenona »

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:05:48 »
Oooooh oh my god kudos !!!! I so love your attitude and appreciate your dedication to putting something out that you stand behind. I have seen some of your updates where you have posted progress and I think to myself "Dammmmn those look NICE" and as I continue reading I find out they were not up to your standards   :))

I must say I'm pretty excited about this and you have been in my thoughts more then once since I first saw the "I spilled my Drank " reddit release I can't wait to have a shot at some cmyw keykollectiv swag  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:10:20 by Sed8op8 »

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:08:55 »
These look great!  I'm glad you got your problems sorted out and are getting back into things  :thumb:

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:41:21 »
Oooooh oh my god kudos !!!! I so love your attitude and appreciate your dedication to putting something out that you stand behind. I have seen some of your updates where you have posted progress and I think to myself "Dammmmn those look NICE" and as I continue reading I find out they were not up to your standards   :))

I must say I'm pretty excited about this and you have been in my thoughts more then once since I first saw the "I spilled my Drank " reddit release I can't wait to have a shot at some cmyw keykollectiv swag  :thumb:

Thanks Sed! Your custom keys should be in by tomorrow. If not, by Monday at the latest. Depending on the sale, I'll be sending you, Dustin and BTC some review sets of the CMY mods shortly. Thanks!

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 14:05:16 »

Thanks Sed! Your custom keys should be in by tomorrow. If not, by Monday at the latest. Depending on the sale, I'll be sending you, Dustin and BTC some review sets of the CMY mods shortly. Thanks!

Wow so I got a surprise package today from none other then kudosgodspeed and I am really impressed with what I received.
So I received a 3 key cap set in what I've come to find out is a pretty freaking stellar orange named after me"Sed8'ed Orange" it's a really hard Orange to capture and I really love it. It's an almost creamy (cream sicle-ish) orange on top of a nice mellow gray. The first thing I noticed about these doubleshot blanks (besides the color) is the texture these caps are extremely polished with no discernible flaws or blemishes. The tops of the caps have a nice soft yet grippy texture on them that reminds me of the texture of the stock caps on my HHKB. The walls are very smooth.

Upon putting these on my HHKB and pushing down I was greeted with a nice pop,  :eek:  yup you got it these caps lock in folks. The Topre caps I have found that that actually lock nice and securely are few and far between. No loose caps here this alone is enough to get my vote of approval (bravo kudos) . Another thing that really stood out to me was the shape and profile of the caps. The FN key was perfect the Esc keys were perfect. I snapped a few shots but typing on the board I could not tell the difference from the stock HHKB caps they feel that good .

This was my first experience with Kudos work and it has left me wanting more and excited to see what he comes out with next  !

Thanks kudos I LOVE THEM

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 14:49:30 »

Thanks for posting these Sed. Ive spent way too much time trying to perfect the stem to "lock" properly. A lot of testing went into making sure that height and profiles matched properly. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of work to do in terms of maximizing thickness. What I sent you was beta keys and I'll keep you updated in terms of development.

I plan on sending you and a few others some sample CMYKeys Beta sets. Should I send in HHKB or RF format?

Wow so I got a surprise package today from none other then kudosgodspeed and I am really impressed with what I received.
So I received a 3 key cap set in what I've come to find out is a pretty freaking stellar orange named after me"Sed8'ed Orange" it's a really hard Orange to capture and I really love it. It's an almost creamy (cream sicle-ish) orange on top of a nice mellow gray. The first thing I noticed about these doubleshot blanks (besides the color) is the texture these caps are extremely polished with no discernible flaws or blemishes. The tops of the caps have a nice soft yet grippy texture on them that reminds me of the texture of the stock caps on my HHKB. The walls are very smooth.

Upon putting these on my HHKB and pushing down I was greeted with a nice pop,  :eek:  yup you got it these caps lock in folks. The Topre caps I have found that that actually lock nice and securely are few and far between. No loose caps here this alone is enough to get my vote of approval (bravo kudos) . Another thing that really stood out to me was the shape and profile of the caps. The FN key was perfect the Esc keys were perfect. I snapped a few shots but typing on the board I could not tell the difference from the stock HHKB caps they feel that good .

This was my first experience with Kudos work and it has left me wanting more and excited to see what he comes out with next  !

Thanks kudos I LOVE THEM

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 09:27:20 »

omg kudos i want to get my hands on one of that cmyk modifiers and btw nice job bro waiting to get my first topre and get yer cmyk modifier  :thumb:

Thanks for posting these Sed. Ive spent way too much time trying to perfect the stem to "lock" properly. A lot of testing went into making sure that height and profiles matched properly. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of work to do in terms of maximizing thickness. What I sent you was beta keys and I'll keep you updated in terms of development.

I plan on sending you and a few others some sample CMYKeys Beta sets. Should I send in HHKB or RF format?

Thanks kudos I LOVE THEM

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 13:27:46 »
108886-0

With CMYKeys Beta officially complete, KeyKollectiv contemplated our next move. Initially, we planned to have an accessory release to finish off the summer but the more we thought about it, the more it made sense to make use of the molds we worked so hard on.

With so many exciting Topre launches from the community, we wanted to go out with a bang. Koala-T and I deliberated on color palettes that we wanted to see on our keyboards. The result is a selection that we’re sure you will enjoy.

108888-1

We’ve come quite a long way from our original betas. Along the way, we learned quite a bit about the resin casting process and applied new techniques to fine-tune our work. As every prototype was hand-sculpted, every failure set us back. But we persevered in our quest to attain the girthiest thock we could muster.

108890-2

We understand now why there weren’t a whole lot of artisans making mods. It is tedious(read: hard as f@$&) to match colors, account for multiple layouts and even the smallest errors required recasting to complete the set. So here’s the plan: we will only take a very limited amount of orders. KeyKollectiv has set a limit to what we can realistically crank out. Each set will be “made to order”.

But enough banter, what colors will KeyKollectiv offer?! For now, we are planning the following: Triumphant Teal, Anniversary Blue, Bianchi Green, Shallow Mallow and Pink Elephant. A bonus color-way will be announced once we get closer to launch.

In all seriousness, Koala-T and I would love to thank the community for all the patience and support once again. While we iron out the final details, we will do our best to keep you guys updated. Please keep an eye out for official sale newsletter soon!

Offline joey

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 15:57:17 »
Is the sale for all the mods, or a selection?

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:02:23 »
Great work so far! Bianchi Green sounds great, really interested in a set of those! Would like to have a Bianchi bicycle too, though :) Where will you post more information? In this thread?
... ...

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:12:06 »
I'd say I'm interested in a set of those mods. Any idea about pricing yet?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:49:15 »
I'd say I'm interested in a set of those mods. Any idea about pricing yet?

That's something we are still working on. I want to make it affordable and not ridiculous but we also spent a lot of time prototyping/molding. We are aiming for a $45-$55 price point for entire set of mods for each (HHKB, RF, 660C)

Great work so far! Bianchi Green sounds great, really interested in a set of those! Would like to have a Bianchi bicycle too, though :) Where will you post more information? In this thread?

I love my Bianchi bikes! I own a 2007 Vigorelli for street riding and a 2010 Impulso for training. Ordering information will most likely be posted first on the newsletter, followed by here and /r/mechmarket.

You can sign up for the newsletter at keykollectiv.com (under menu). Thanks for the interest :D

The sets will cover all mod keys (Alt, Ctrl, Tab, Caps, BS, Enter, Shift, Win, Fn). Going to have sets for HHKB, RF and 660C

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:50:42 »
That's something we are still working on. I want to make it affordable and not ridiculous but we also spent a lot of time prototyping/molding. We are aiming for a $45-$55 price point for entire set of mods for each (HHKB, RF, 660C)
Considering the price of most custom topre keys, that's reaaallly cheap. That's really awesome!
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline joey

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:53:08 »

The sets will cover all mod keys (Alt, Ctrl, Tab, Caps, BS, Enter, Shift, Win, Fn). Going to have sets for HHKB, RF and 660C
Sorry, what I meant was can we buy individual caps or do we have to buy the whole set?

I'd personally be interested in maybe buying a few, of different colours rather than a full set.

Offline Kudos

• Godspeed
  • * Maker
  • GAF
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 17:07:30 »

Sorry, what I meant was can we buy individual caps or do we have to buy the whole set?

I'd personally be interested in maybe buying a few, of different colours rather than a full set.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Due to the way the molds are set up, I don't think it would make sense to sell individual caps. I will, however, open it up for multi-color sets. For example:

3Fn (Row4) + 1 (Row1) - Color1
Tabx2 + Capslock + Enter - Color2
Shift x2 (HHKB) - Color 3
Ctrlx2 + Altx2 - Color 4

+Bonus Nav/WASD cluster - Color 5

I hope that makes sense. I can explain further if need be  ;D