Author Topic: Tai-Hao DS PBT -- Antibacterial Coating?  (Read 11122 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Tai-Hao DS PBT -- Antibacterial Coating?
« on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 16:13:42 »
Is it true that Tai-Hao double-shot PBT keycaps have an antibacterial coating? I think it might be in the form of silver nanoparticles. If this is so, I wonder why they felt the need to do this? I would much prefer uncoated PBT.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Tai-Hao DS PBT -- Antibacterial Coating?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 16:35:53 »
They did it because they know how grubby the hands of nerds get.  They were trying to inject a little hygiene into their lives.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 16:45:38 »
Maybe so they don't spread disease so easy?

I mean in hospitals, universities etc if they are trying to reach out to that market being antibacterial could be great marketing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 16:49:57 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 17:01:12 »
Yes, I know the supposed hygiene rationale, but simple hand washing has been shown to be more effective than relying on antibacterial coatings. I would prefer not to have any sort of  coating on keycaps. Of course, there are choices other than Tai-Hao.

At the moment, I am typing on a new dye-sub PBT set from Leopold -- excellent quality at a  reasonable price.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 10:38:42 »
Yes, I know the supposed hygiene rationale, but simple hand washing has been shown to be more effective than relying on antibacterial coatings. I would prefer not to have any sort of  coating on keycaps. Of course, there are choices other than Tai-Hao.

At the moment, I am typing on a new dye-sub PBT set from Leopold -- excellent quality at a  reasonable price.

Link?

The best part of being typing all the time is that your board shares with you your pizzas and tacos.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 15:40:50 »
99.9% marketing?
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 16:03:05 »
99.9% marketing?

"silver nano-particles antibacterial coating" Marketing? Nah!, it sounds too scientific to be marketing.

:p :)) :p :))

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 17:13:09 »
Just received a Tai-Bao set. Supposedly double-shot PBT and with the antibacterial coating. The coating results in the keycap surfaces having a very unpleasant feel -- not at all like uncoated PBT from any other manufacturer that I have tried, including Ducky, IBM, Imsto, Keycool, Leopold, Topre, and Vortex.

I have considered trying to remove the coating, but I think I will return them instead and use higher quality caps from another company that does not use an antibacterial coating.

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:29:12 »
I've read a thread where a guy gave his walk-through on coating removal.  My 2 min of googling is failing me right now though.  I'm not entirely positive it was on GH, but I think it was here.  It's bugging me enough that I'll probably keep googling for it.

Offline ATXTider

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:31:07 »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:59:22 »
A-Ha!

http://imgur.com/a/FodAg

Thanks for digging this up, it was an interesting read
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 09:25:27 »
Got myself a set, removed the anti-bacterial coating, and while it make a difference, I'm still not the biggest fan of the set. My Granite set just feels a lot more "solid"
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 21:45:20 »
You can simply use rubbing alcohol to get the coating off the Tai-Hao sets if you don't like how they feel!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 16:44:39 »
You can simply use rubbing alcohol to get the coating off the Tai-Hao sets if you don't like how they feel!

Yup, I did this to my Bumble Bee set. Followed a simple guide that I found on r/mk.
It's super easy to do and it worked out pretty well in the end.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 19:51:55 »
I have a few Tai Hao sets and no idea whether they have this coating or not.

Has anyone got before and after pictures, or is this just something that you feel?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ATXTider

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 15:52:35 »

Has anyone got before and after pictures, or is this just something that you feel?

Pretty sure it's a 'feel' thing.

Offline Jeftha

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:17:38 »

I have the orange and black Tai Hao double shot PBT set and the coating started to wear off pretty fast. It's especially noticeable on the black modifiers. It doesn't look pretty. I don't have access to the keyset right now, but it looks something like the WASD keys: http://i.imgur.com/r4tJWBh.jpg I found this random image on reddit.

There's a large spot like that on my left black shift key, because I used to play a game that would have me hold shift for long periods of time. I'm guessing that if you remove the coating completely, you won't see the difference between the coated and uncoated area and perhaps they'll look pretty clean again.

Realforce 87U 55g             HHKB Pro 2 (dental band)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:32:57 »

I have the orange and black Tai Hao double shot PBT set and the coating started to wear off pretty fast. It's especially noticeable on the black modifiers. It doesn't look pretty. I don't have access to the keyset right now, but it looks something like the WASD keys: http://i.imgur.com/r4tJWBh.jpg I found this random image on reddit.

There's a large spot like that on my left black shift key, because I used to play a game that would have me hold shift for long periods of time. I'm guessing that if you remove the coating completely, you won't see the difference between the coated and uncoated area and perhaps they'll look pretty clean again.

Eeewww!

I have the Tai Hao orange and black set too, but it has no sign of that happening.

OTOH I do swap keyboards and key sets around fairly regularly, so I probably haven't used my set enough to wear the coating down.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ