Author Topic: Vintage Computers and missing programs  (Read 1673 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Vintage Computers and missing programs
« on: Sun, 28 August 2011, 15:47:28 »
Since my fascination with IBM model M keyboards began, I have been extremely lucky to push that fascination even further and started collecting vintage computers.  I now own a complete almost pristine IBM 5150 system, including the original PC keyboard, an IBM XT that is also in great shape, but nearly as good looking as the 5150, and a Tandy 1000 RL HD.  (I absolutely love those old IBM keyboards!  The layout could be better, but the key feel is fantastic!)

All of these systems are completely working systems and run perfectly with one exception.  My Tandy 1000 is missing it's keyboard.  So, does anyone here have a Tandy 1000 keyboard they are willing to part with?  Yes, I've already checked E-Bay and a few other sites, and found a couple.  The thing is, I don't really want to pay $40.00 for the board.  The entire system WITH a keyboard isn't worth that much.  Still, I would like to try to find one to complete the system.  

Secondly, I remember using an old DOS program manger software called Menu Works 2.10 on an old Packard Bell computer I had back in the mid 1990's.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep the old computer (I wish I had now), and would like to get a copy of the program for use with my 2 IBM systems.  

Does anyone have a copy of Menu Works 2.10 on 360K DSDD 5.25" floppy to email me, or that I could purchase, or even a working link to download the program?  I've done extensive searches for this software and haven't been able to find a copy anywhere.  

If you do happen to have the keyboard, or the software, I'll be glad to discuss payment and shipping with you.  

Thanks for reading.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 11:06:37 »
I was fortunate enough to finally find a keyboard for the Tandy system.  As luck would have it, I found it in an obscure listing on E-Bay.  Grand total including shipping was only $15.50.  It is a very nice mechanincal keyboard.  The key's feel very smooth compared to my model M and XT boards.  I think it has Alps sliders.   The keyboard is a little smaller than the model M.  With the white keys against a beige case, it's rather plain looking too.  Also, alont the top there are recesses that look like there was something that is supposed click in place.  Maybe some kind of labeling or something?   I think I'll need an adapter for the large DIN connector to plud into the Tandy's smaller PS2 recepticle.  (Does anyone have one they can send me?  I'll be glad to pay for it and the shipping)

I don't know if I'm going to like it nearly as much as I do the IBM models, but at least my Tandy computer is complete.  

I'll post updates when I can actually connect and start using it.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 21:07:57 »
Not what it's any help, but I used to have a complete copy of OS/2 Warp 4 NIB.... until it was destroyed by the recent flooding of hurricane Irene.  Sadface.

I remember when we used to dual boot OS/2 and Win3.1 (later 95) on our old Quantex machine back in the day.  My father partitioned our (huge at the time) 1.2Gb hard drive into 4 SECTORS! Windows, OS/2, swap space and the other that was going to house this new thing called "Linux," but he never got around to it.  Needless to say, we ran into problems quickly with >300Mb sectors.

We have tons of old diskette software though.  I'll take a quick look for ya!
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 October 2011, 21:12:06 by Pretendo »
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000