Author Topic: [IC] KAM_Superuser | GB: NOW LIVE UNTIL 2ND MARCH  (Read 182741 times)

Offline econeuler

Re: [IC] KAM_Superuser
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 09:26:43 »
Very nice  :thumb: Glad that there's a 40s kit!

Edit:

Just realized that this kit will support Colemak DHm because of the homing kit + the kam profile, awesome!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2020, 11:41:48 by econeuler »

Offline FreshFromTheGrave

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 10:31:27 »
Thoughts on VIM keys for HJKL? Looks awesome.

Of course, because it is all uniform, I think the arrow accents probably fill that role

Coming in the next update :)

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 10:46:42 »
So what are the chances of getting terminal and highlight 40's kits? I would buy one of each of those

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 11:33:35 »
So what are the chances of getting terminal and highlight 40's kits? I would buy one of each of those

Also coming in an update :) I just need to get the kit more finalised before duplicating it to create highlight and terminal versions. Otherwise if I make changes I have to make changes 3 times ;)

Offline Retne

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 11:39:19 »
Not sure how I feel about the profile given that it's uniform but wow the theme is so on point.  The presentation is also amazing and I would be surprised if you didn't convince people to buy the set with just that video alone.

I'm very tempted to hop on once it goes to group buy.  I just need to figure out if I'd be OK with that uniform profile.

Offline RoninSavant

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 11:59:29 »
Registered because of this set. Can't wait!

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 17:23:08 »
International kits updated! Split the large international kit into 3:

Terminal ISO + UK
North
South

As well as fixed some key errors and filled in some missing keys. It's possible I'll still go back and amend the south kit to include keys from north that are required to avoid people having to purchase both. At the moment it is an extension.

Offline MS85

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 18:16:21 »
International kits updated! Split the large international kit into 3:

Terminal ISO + UK
North
South

As well as fixed some key errors and filled in some missing keys. It's possible I'll still go back and amend the south kit to include keys from north that are required to avoid people having to purchase both. At the moment it is an extension.

From a merely Italian perspective (unless other languages have the same issue) I think in the South we would just need 3 more:

,;, .: and 6&

In order to make it fit with ISO+SOUTH only

Also e€ would be nice to have.

About this latter: I noticed that, where a character is under AltGr, you placed it in the lower left corner. Since the € is under AltGr aswell, would it make sense to place it there too, instead of using the standard position of the shift ruled characters? I'm going full finicky here and I know that this involves also the aesthetics. It does not bother me at all as it is now. It was just to share a quick thought.

Also noticed the raise of the apostrophe in the '? cap vs the previous international kit. It's perfect :-)

Offline Lastpadawan

• Product design team and Vendor | LastPadawan.Store
    • LastPadawan Store
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 23:27:50 »
Paying attention to this one, one of my best friends would love this. Really glad that you chose this theme.

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 05:33:38 »
From a merely Italian perspective (unless other languages have the same issue) I think in the South we would just need 3 more:

About this latter: I noticed that, where a character is under AltGr, you placed it in the lower left corner. Since the € is under AltGr aswell, would it make sense to place it there too, instead of using the standard position of the shift ruled characters? I'm going full finicky here and I know that this involves also the aesthetics. It does not bother me at all as it is now. It was just to share a quick thought.

Also noticed the raise of the apostrophe in the '? cap vs the previous international kit. It's perfect :-)

That's a good point on the Euro sign! There are probably others like that too but you're totally right. And yes there were a few corrections to backticks, accents, commas and apostrophes where I had them all mixed up ;) My initial reference was not at all clear!

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 06:00:21 »
TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!

Re: [IC] KAM_Superuser | 03/09 update - collaboration added
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 14:46:39 »

First collaboration!

Superuser is proud to partner up with Rocket Cables to create a themed custom cable to complete your setup.
Stay logged in as root for more details in future updates.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 13:23:08 »
I am in line, facemask on and wallet ready.  Thank you for the UK ISO.  If possible please add a 6u Spacebar as well.  I am also looking forward to choosing which board this will suit best.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 01:32:44 »
Will there be KAT ?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 01:43:05 »
I'm not a fan of having shifted legends on the left and base legends on the right (| \). This is contrary to how we commonly represent legends horizontally, especially in text (\ |). This set is inspired by text, after all. Consider flipping the legends around.

A 1u = key should be added to the numpad.

1.75u function (popular Caps alternative) and 2u space should be added to mods (for Alice and other ergo boards), and 1.5u del should be removed (not common enough).

pgup, pgdn are not used on 40s/ortho and can be removed from the kit. The same goes for 3u spacebars. There appear to be two 2.25u spacebars in this kit; the second one is not commonly used and should be replaced with a second 2u spacebar (which is common on orthos).

Edit: added clarifications
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 September 2020, 05:58:48 by konstantin »

Offline Arsoth

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 06:31:08 »
Registered just to express how excited I am for this set. (...and down the IC/GB rabbit hole I go I'm sure)

One thing I noticed - did the capital Alphas option get removed? I could swear I'd seen a render of that when the IC first launched and I'm not seeing it anymore, which is hugely disappointing if so. Love me some centered Capital Alphas.

Offline Pyk_

[IC] KAM_Superuser | 03/09 update - collaboration added
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 07:27:46 »
I'm not a fan of having shifted legends on the left and base legends on the right (| \). This is contrary to how we commonly represent legends horizontally, especially in text (\ |). This set is inspired by text, after all. Consider flipping the legends around.

1.75u function and 2u space should be added to mods (for Alice and other ergo boards), and 1.5u del should be removed (not common enough).

pgup, pgdn are not used on 40s/ortho and can be removed from the kit. The same goes for 3u spacebars. There appear to be two 2.25u spacebars in this kit; the second one is not commonly used and should be replaced with a second 2u spacebar (which is common on orthos).

Nice catch on the legends, not something I would have noticed.

I agree about pgdn and pgup. I could swear it already includes 2x2u, but if what you say is true I agree with that too (I assume when you say “one” you mean one per color). Personally I like the 3u option, but it probably makes more sense in a separate kit.

One thing I would add is an enter key in bright green. I believe it’s more common for ortho to highlight esc/enter and space than the arrow keys.

Edit
[mention]Arsoth [/mention] , he definitely decided against the drive letter alphas (A:/, B:/, etc), if that’s what you are thinking of, or we’re there standard uppercase that I’m forgetting? I didn’t like the drive letters, but standard caps could work. The lowercase reminds me of variables, which I like with the theme.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2020, 07:34:03 by Pyk_ »

Offline S3LQ

• Designer and keyboard enthusiast
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 08:05:05 »
The presentation caught my interest! This is how you properly show off a set, good job!  :thumb:

Offline beyonddc

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 17:29:59 »
Usually the numpad kit contains additional 1U keycaps for 96keys layout.
See Kat Explosion for example... https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103655.0

Offline __init__

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 19:55:09 »

1.75u function and 2u space should be added to mods (for Alice and other ergo boards), and 1.5u del should be removed (not common enough).

Nice catch on the legends, not something I would have noticed.

I agree about pgdn and pgup. I could swear it already includes 2x2u, but if what you say is true I agree with that too (I assume when you say “one” you mean one per color). Personally I like the 3u option, but it probably makes more sense in a separate kit.

One thing I would add is an enter key in bright green. I believe it’s more common for ortho to highlight esc/enter and space than the arrow keys.

Edit
[mention]Arsoth [/mention] , he definitely decided against the drive letter alphas (A:/, B:/, etc), if that’s what you are thinking of, or we’re there standard uppercase that I’m forgetting? I didn’t like the drive letters, but standard caps could work. The lowercase reminds me of variables, which I like with the theme.

I concur about the bright green Enter key as well!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 05:38:18 »
Usually the numpad kit contains additional 1U keycaps for 96keys layout.
See Kat Explosion for example... https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103655.0

The numpad kit already covers this (sans 1u =, which I already mentioned should be added). You have to keep in mind that KAM is a uniform keycap profile — any key can be used on any row. Consequently, there is no need to include a second key. If you were referring to the 1u navigation keys, those are already covered by the mods kit, again because KAM is a uniform profile.

Edit: Something that could be worth considering is adding 1u esc, tab, bksp and func keys to the numpad kit (example). This would make the kit purchasable separately and usable for standalone numpads like this and this. Though I'd stick to just one mod style for these four keys, to keep the kit from becoming too large.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 September 2020, 05:52:47 by konstantin »

Offline MS85

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 13:24:41 »

That's a good point on the Euro sign! There are probably others like that too but you're totally right. And yes there were a few corrections to backticks, accents, commas and apostrophes where I had them all mixed up ;) My initial reference was not at all clear!

Thanks for the addition of 6& :-)

Would it be possible to complete it also with these two combinations?

That would complete the Italian option without the need for the NorDe kit. And if I remember correctly that would work for Spanish layouts too.

Actually I guess these 2 could work also in the ISO kit, in order not to duplicate them for North and South: if I remember correctly ,; and .: are present in a lot of European layouts. I can at least recall: Italy, Germany, Spain, Netherlands (I think) and all 3 Scandinavian countries plus Finland. 

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 14:08:06 »
Actually I guess these 2 could work also in the ISO kit, in order not to duplicate them for North and South: if I remember correctly ,; and .: are present in a lot of European layouts. I can at least recall: Italy, Germany, Spain, Netherlands (I think) and all 3 Scandinavian countries plus Finland.

Yes, but they are not used in US ISO and UK ISO, which that kit is intended for, so those users would be getting unnecessary keys. There are no downsides to having ,; and .: in both the North and South kits, so I would suggest just doing that.

Speaking of UK ISO, the 4$€ key is missing from the ISO kit.

Re North and South: have you seen this?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 September 2020, 17:40:20 by konstantin »

Offline beyonddc

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 14:44:59 »
You have to keep in mind that KAM is a uniform keycap profile — any key can be used on any row.

That explains it, that was my lack of understanding about the KAM keycap profile.  Thank you for explanation. 

Offline MS85

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 17:03:32 »

Thanks for the link. :)

Just don't know why it states that the 141 layout is "Older and obsolete" compared to the 142. Actually, I think I've never seen, in real life, a 142 layout with its @,#,[,], etc in R1. I would indeed edit the BRASLAPTIT using the 141 as a main reference.

But overall it is a remarkable reference tool.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 17:25:28 »

Thanks for the link. :)

Just don't know why it states that the 141 layout is "Older and obsolete" compared to the 142.

Don't ask me, ask IBM! They updated the layout!

Actually, I think I've never seen, in real life, a 142 layout with its @,#,[,], etc in R1.

We have Microsoft to blame here. They never bothered to update their stuff and back when they unleashed the Windows keys upon an unsuspecting world, they forced OEMs to make keyboards according to THEIR (outdated) specs, with some horrendous side effects. Heck, besides the 141 layout still seeing any degree of usage (Curly braces on the quaternary layer? Really?), Microsoft is to blame, among many other sins, for the swapping of the vertical bar (|) and the broken bar (¦) in the Swiss layout(s).

One way or another, it doesn't matter — the New Italian layout is better than either 141 or 142.  ;D

I would indeed edit the BRASLAPTIT using the 141 as a main reference.

I wouldn't.  :cool:

But overall it is a remarkable reference tool.

Thanks. And soon, it'll be even better.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 00:30:33 »
Woweee!  That video, and the colours. This set sparks some great nostalgia-retro-future vibes!

Offline harlekein

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:22:35 »
Who are those homing keys even for?

dvorcol keeps an extensive tracking for homing keys:

TUNAH should cover all of them. E if you want to include BEPO. A is super-rare, but why not then. It's just that S and I do nothing for anyone.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:25:37 by harlekein »

Offline psxndc

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:26:34 »
I replied in Playground, but I'll reply here too: S is for gamers to orient to WASD. But I... yeah, ya got me there.
Ortho. Always.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:54:31 »
I admire your creativity, the video is way too cool. I am in as you designed the modular sets. Thank you very much for thinking in us EU users. kudos pal.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:58:33 »
Holy moly, I totally missed that video before now. Very cool!

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 15:08:35 »
Holy moly, I totally missed that video before now. Very cool!

But that's like the headline news here ;) If I only achieve one thing with this set then I want it to be that I set the bar for marketing production quality :P

But thank you all again for your continued feedback, as mentioned before I'm not replying individually but rest assured I am giving consideration to everything that's being mentioned :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 15:30:37 »
When do you expect to run the buy?

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 16:39:21 »
Also took a moment to render superuser on prkns board, Whimsy :)

Offline mongoose27

• WKL FTW
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 16:51:24 »
This is very nice.  Not a KAM profile user either but, looking like this will certainly be my first set.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 17:06:21 »
Stop teasing us and run the buy.   :))

Offline Runningtarrens

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 23:10:31 »
Who are those homing keys even for?

dvorcol keeps an extensive tracking for homing keys:

Show Image

TUNAH should cover all of them. E if you want to include BEPO. A is super-rare, but why not then. It's just that S and I do nothing for anyone.

The homing keys are super nice. this is the only set that has symmetric keycaps and extensive homing keys. There are not only english layouts. I use a german layout where i need a E and N homing key and the abililty to swap the keys between rows. this is the first set that features both. So its a must buy for me(also looks super sick). But i can imagin that there are other people having the same problem and maybe they need the homing S or so.

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 23:10:47 »
Haven't tried KAM yet...

...looks like this is a good one to give it a go.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 09:10:46 »
Finally a set for me to use on the board I have at work that will fit its environment. Definitely down to order this set once the buy comes up.   :thumb:

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline harlekein

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 09:38:25 »
The homing keys are super nice. this is the only set that has symmetric keycaps and extensive homing keys. There are not only english layouts. I use a german layout where i need a E and N homing key and the abililty to swap the keys between rows. this is the first set that features both. So its a must buy for me(also looks super sick). But i can imagin that there are other people having the same problem and maybe they need the homing S or so.

You want an E and N, I'm not going to argue against it. I'm asking about the S an I.

With that logic of "we don't know, but it might be out there" you could add the entire alphabet. If you don't know why a key is added, it's better not to add it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 September 2020, 09:40:01 by harlekein »

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 10:51:22 »
I love everything about this set, I'm just not a big fan of this ALPHA<->MOD separation. Would be great if the ALPHAS would be available in the same color as the mods, especially for non-standard layouts.

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 12:52:38 »

You want an E and N, I'm not going to argue against it. I'm asking about the S an I.

With that logic of "we don't know, but it might be out there" you could add the entire alphabet. If you don't know why a key is added, it's better not to add it.

There are other layouts to the list you posted earlier. S and I are required for some lesser known layouts like Eucalyn and THE-1.

The question should be are they too rare to consider supporting, and have I supported them correctly elsewhere in the kits, not whether they exist.

The S and I will stay for the time being.

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 00:05:43 »
I don’t even like green and i like this. Niceeeee

Offline Runningtarrens

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 01:26:52 »
I love everything about this set, I'm just not a big fan of this ALPHA<->MOD separation. Would be great if the ALPHAS would be available in the same color as the mods, especially for non-standard layouts.

your claim was that tuhna covers everything, that was what i argued against.  i have disproven your logic, because i need an e , even tho i dont use BEPO. And than i extented it, that i can imagin that there might be cases for the s and i, which OP confirmed. It just made me angry that people think there is only the english layouts and disregard all else. sorry i had to vent there for a bit.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 01:30:35 »

There are other layouts to the list you posted earlier. S and I are required for some lesser known layouts like Eucalyn and THE-1.

The question should be are they too rare to consider supporting, and have I supported them correctly elsewhere in the kits, not whether they exist.

A set designer telling the community "STFU, I'm going to support ALL the alternative layouts."

Man, 2020 is truly an upside down year.

^^ said all in good fun if it wasn't obvious. As a Colemak user, I'm thrilled that other layouts are getting support.
Ortho. Always.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 03:04:52 »

That's all I was asking.

In no way would I argue against support for existing layouts.

Offline mvreenv

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 09:30:46 »

I second this, in order to have a complete italian set you'd have to get both the North and South kits for how they are organized now. Imo putting the two keys in the ISO kit would be the most optimized solution.

Keeping a close eye on this IC, this set is going to be really cool  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 10:29:10 »

I second this, in order to have a complete italian set you'd have to get both the North and South kits for how they are organized now. Imo putting the two keys in the ISO kit would be the most optimized solution.

I hope that a different solution for Italians may be implemented, but not moving two keys out of the North kit to the UK kit.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 10:56:43 »

I hope that a different solution for Italians may be implemented, but not moving two keys out of the North kit to the UK kit.

The easiest and most appropriate solution would be to just redo the kits based on the resources I linked above.

Here's another good reference:

Of course, keys that are already included in the iso_terminal_and_uk and alphas kits (such as the mods and <>, \|) — as well as keys that differ only in row but otherwise have the same legends — should be omitted.

Offline mvreenv

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 04:39:49 »

Yeah you're right, I was just saying that just because there's no ISO Enter key in the mods kits and it seemed the easiest way to do it.

Here's another good reference:

Show Image
Show Image

Of course, keys that are already included in the iso_terminal_and_uk and alphas kits (such as the mods and <>, \|) — as well as keys that differ only in row but otherwise have the same legends — should be omitted.

This seems the most fair solution to everyone imo.