Author Topic: Greetings from Canada!  (Read 1682 times)

Offline lescou

Greetings from Canada!
« on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 19:45:08 »
Hi everyone! Decided to create an account here after lurking r/mk for a good 2 years and get me my first keeb. My first mech, which I still have is a Ducky one2 with mx browns. It's not that I don't like it, but I use a keyboard everyday. Why not make the experience a little more pleasant. I've started to learn proper touch typing too and I'm liking the process so far (only thing getting me are the accents). From what I've learned over the past 2 years and from what I think I will like, this is what I'm going to buy this month :

Case/Plate/PCB : Mode65
Stabs : durock v2 stabs
keycaps : ePBT X GOK black on white (already bought)
Switches : well... this is where im stuck...

I want my switch to be linear, smooth, have a deep sound and with minimal wobble. I've narrowed my choices down to : mauves, lavender, alpacas (not wildly in stock in Canada), and Durock linears (L2 or L7). Thing is, I've seen the term JWK recolor be thrown around a lot. Some say they are all the same, some say only neophyte would dare say such a thing.

Knowing i intend to lube an film my switches, what would you suggest me to compliment my build?
Thank you very much and sorry for the wall of text.

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: Greetings from Canada!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 00:40:16 »
Hi,

It's a good plan you have so far.

The famous Durock Alpacas are just a recolour of their existing nameless linear line L2-L7. In fact, all other things being equal [colour and material], they were basically the same design except for spring weight.

Things have changed a little with the introduction of their V2 linears, but they aren't much different.

So we're talking one overarching design for most Durock linears of the past year and a half.

Durock linears in general sound great once lubed and filmed.

It's too bad I just sold my Alpacas, as I could have sold you mine. [They were V1 though, and everybody wants V2 now].

I still have my Silent Alpacas, but Apex Keyboards should be restocking periodically with Alpacas of all types.

DeskHero.ca is having an 8%-off switch sale right now. Code SWITCHSALE8 at checkout

You can pick up Durock linears like Seal, FFFF linear, and the elusive Mauve. Any of those should be excellent choices for your build. I had H1 switches, which are probably similar to Seal, and they were great. FFFF linear has good reviews, and Mauve was considered the best linear for a period of time.

So I would get those.

If not Durock, I think SP Star linears are great. I like the weight of the SP Star Nana, which also sounds decent in stock form, especially on a polycarb plate. [Like KBD67 Lite].

Offline lescou

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 10:57:52 »
Thanks for your input! I appreciate it. Mauves are really tempting.

As you can see, since I'm not really sure what switch I prefer (or even the type), so i'll go with the hotswap version of the mode pcb before comitting to a soldered switch.

Do you have an opinion on the mauves vs lavender debate?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 12:52:17 »
Yes, testing these in hotswap is the smartest thing you can do.

The Mauves and Lavenders both were fairly acclaimed in their time. It's going to be a matter of personal preference. I think the Lavender are a more modern design, using V2 housing, maybe the Mauves are now, not sure.

The truth is, these are both Durock linears with the same spring weight, so the differences are not going to be great.

Lavender might be better in stock form, being a V2 design. But Mauves are known to be very good with lube + film, so in the end they are likely to be similar when you are done with them.

Offline lescou

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 18:35:45 »
I just bought 90 mauves right this instant. I know it's way more than a 65% needs but having spare ones when it's my first time building doesn't seem like a bad idea. Thanks again for your help!  :thumb:

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 19:17:36 »
Hope it works out! Yes, it's a good idea to have spare switches when doing a build.