Author Topic: Model M bolt mod strategy  (Read 1501 times)

Offline firefly5

Model M bolt mod strategy
« on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 23:31:18 »
I've got a Model M that has quite a few of the weld spots fallen off. Fortunately, there're still enough in place so it feels quite solid and there isn't a gap when it's at rest. I'm planning a bolt mod but don't really want to disassemble all the layers if I don't have to. Thinking that I can drill through using the metal plate's hole as a guide and be very careful not to break through the plastic in between the layers - so there won't be plastic loose bits inside. After all the posts without weld spots have been replaced with bolts, then the remaining welds will be scraped off one at a time and will get bolts as well.

Does this sound like a workable plan? Anyone else tried this approach?

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: Model M bolt mod strategy
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 July 2021, 05:37:19 »
It's been done.  Just replace the lost ones, don't worry about the ones still intact.  Drill slowly.

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline firefly5

Re: Model M bolt mod strategy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 July 2021, 15:23:52 »
It's been done.  Just replace the lost ones, don't worry about the ones still intact.  Drill slowly.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. Hopefully the bolts will help to keep the remaining welds spots in place. I've got more than enough nuts and bolts for a few keyboards that may come my way so nothing's wasted.