Author Topic: Keyboard hobby carrying over to cell phones, and remotes.  (Read 2327 times)

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
Keyboard hobby carrying over to cell phones, and remotes.
« on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 21:25:44 »
I have recently found myself judging game controler, cell phones, TV remotes, etc...  I was playing a PS2 earlier today and found the buttons to be very mushy.  I also now consider my friend's Droid 3 impossible to type on.  I know these devices can't be expected to compare, but does anyone else find themselves doing this?
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Keyboard hobby carrying over to cell phones, and remotes.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 21:31:56 »
A little bit. I hate texting kinda because of it lol... smashing my fingers onto a screen is the worst feeling ever, even with haptic feedback. And phones with keypads aren't any better
I love Elzy

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 21:50:52 »
LOL sorta, my g/f actually bought a Razer Naga Hex recently and we were impressed by their "6 mechanical buttons".  And every time I'm paying for items from supermarket/convenience store I always wonder if their cash register buttons are mechanical.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 22:02:47 »
And every time I'm paying for items from supermarket/convenience store I always wonder if their cash register buttons are mechanical.
I do this ALL the time.  Especially on older POS equipment, or when I see a Cherry logo :)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 22:03:32 »
And every time I'm paying for items from supermarket/convenience store I always wonder if their cash register buttons are mechanical.
I do this ALL the time.  Especially on older POS equipment, or when I see a Cherry logo :)
Me too! So much so, that I carry a keypuller in my bag now!

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 22:07:57 »
Ok, I'm not that bad.  Unless you count my pocketknife  :p

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 22:14:00 »
i was such a keyboard only smartphone guy, i kept my old droid 1 for a while, even tho it sucked, now using a galaxy s3 and swype, it's better than the droid typing. blackberry keyboard still feels the best, and there's been discussion here about ppl making their own arcade style joysticks with sanwa's and hori's and even now with cherries.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 22:21:13 »
Ok, I'm not that bad.  Unless you count my pocketknife  :p
That was indeed one of the craftiest keypullers I've ever seen someone try and use... I think Dan had a heart attack a bit there... :P

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 06:08:29 »
i need a laptop with mechanical keyboard, that's for sure.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 06:51:38 »
Was standing at the checkout in a shop called Office Works yesterday, Office Works is a Australian wide store that sells lots of technology stuff and office supplies, desks and so on.. anyway, I was trying to work out what the keyboard the woman that served me was using.. it was an IBM with re-legendable keycaps.. I didn't bother to ask her if it was mechanical or not, don't think she would have had a clue what I was on about.. assuming IBM have any non BS mechanical keyboards..
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:17:15 »
This once place I worked at had Wyse rubber dome boards. Was sad
I love Elzy

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 16:17:40 »
My kid was wondering about Super Mario (he's 5 remember) so i pulled out the old NES to give him a proper introduction and I realized one of the NES controllers has clicky buttons but the other does not. Which one is daddy's controller?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 16:30:01 »
Most shops around here use POS keyboards from Elcom. Cherry MX Black.

A little bit. I hate texting kinda because of it lol... smashing my fingers onto a screen is the worst feeling ever, even with haptic feedback. And phones with keypads aren't any better
I never liked typing on phone keyboards, Grafiti (not Grafiti2) felt so much better...

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 16:35:24 »
There are some freakin amazing remote controls on the market. I had a Philips about 6 or 8 years ago that was touch screen and controlled my entire house. It was fully programmable including all the graphics on the screen. The ones now make that old thing look like a toy. They are really something.

John

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:16:03 »
There are some freakin amazing remote controls on the market. I had a Philips about 6 or 8 years ago that was touch screen and controlled my entire house. It was fully programmable including all the graphics on the screen. The ones now make that old thing look like a toy. They are really something.

John

Now there's an app for that.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 22:00:10 »
I'm very unimpressed with the buttons on my 3DS. I didn't notice it until I chanced to use my DS Lite again. The buttons on that are perfect, like cherry reds. The buttons on the 3DS seem stiff and hard by comparison.

I like my keyboards stiffer (I use blacks at home and BS at work) when i'm playing DS games it means i'm kicked back on the couch or in bed trying to relax, I don't want to fight with the D pad (which the corners are wearing off of since the plastic is so hard)

Also the B button stopped working after about a year of modest use (far less than my DS). Still gotta take it apart and shoot contact cleaner into it.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 23:25:54 »
kinda the opposite for me i was using an arcade stick pad with cherry switches,
then i saw an advertisement in maximum pC magazine on the crapper (tmi i know, but no joke) of the blank [ultimate] daskeyboard with the same blues in my arcade controller
and thinking to myself holy sht thats awesome,  having a full keyboard with the quality of the buttons in my arcade stick this would be great for pc gaming
i had to get one and i did, been hooked ever since ....
well kinda....till Topre/pbts intercepted

as far as cell phones before i was a picky keyboardist i always wanted to feel the clickyness of nokia rolls royce brand vertu back in the day
after reading they even have manufacturing tolerances behind how the buttons on their phones feel while depress by enduser.

and for remotes-after getting into keyboards i notice how much nicer the bigger bose remotes are in comparison with the sony/samsung they have a nice click on each button.