geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

PCB "Unknown USB (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" Issue

(1/8) > >>

sanlouie_7:
Hi all, new post following up an issue that I had a few days ago as something new has came up and I think this may have been the issue all along. When I plug in my cable into the connector of the PCB, Windows will make a noise that recognizes that a new device has been connected. However, Windows is unable to determine what the device is.

The PCB is an Octagon Ver2.0 and everything was working well a few days ago until I decided to flash it with QMK. I'm not really sure where I went wrong or why it was working for a few days before a column of keys stopped working, then the whole board altogether. I reinstalled QMK with updated drivers, but unfortunately QMK is still unable to recognize the device. I have also tried resetting the board and plugging it in while doing so. Still, no dice.

I looked up several solutions online, finding things such as flashing with 02D, Flip, and updating atmega32u4 drivers. Admittedly, I have no idea how any of these things work. All I really do know is that it still makes a noise when plugged in and no keys or LEDs response when plugged in!

I'm still willing to put in the time and effort into making this bad boy work but preferably with some direction since I'm sure I have been attempting to do so without any. Will reply ASAP to any responses, thanks!

Findecanor:
It sounds to me as if flashing QMK to the ATmega32u4's flash memory could have failed.

With the ATmega32u4, the firmware will need to have started and enabled the USB port at its end for Windows to be able to detect the device at all. After that, one of the first things that Windows does when detecting a new USB device is to ask it for its Device Descriptor, and that should also have been handled by the firmware. Weird that it does the first step but not the second.

I don't know which USB diagnostics tools there are on Windows, but I would check if it identifies itself as anything if you would put it in bootloader mode.

MajorKoos:
It sounds like the firmware is corrupted.
Where did you source it from?

From the readme for the Octagon in the TMK repo it seems like you need to hold down the top right key while plugging in the PCB to enter bootloader mode.
QMK toolbox should at least recognize it at that point and allow you to flash it with some new firmware.
Does that part at least work?

If QMK toolbox doesn't recognize it after holding in that key while plugging in the PCB it's likely the bootloader which is toast.
Hopefully not the case because you'll need an ISP programmer to flash a new bootloader and the firmware.

sanlouie_7:

--- Quote from: MajorKoos on Sun, 13 June 2021, 16:30:41 ---It sounds like the firmware is corrupted.
Where did you source it from?

From the readme for the Octagon in the TMK repo it seems like you need to hold down the top right key while plugging in the PCB to enter bootloader mode.
QMK toolbox should at least recognize it at that point and allow you to flash it with some new firmware.
Does that part at least work?

If QMK toolbox doesn't recognize it after holding in that key while plugging in the PCB it's likely the bootloader which is toast.
Hopefully not the case because you'll need an ISP programmer to flash a new bootloader and the firmware.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, I believe that the FLIP (top-right) key isn't working. I have tried on several occasions to get QMK to recognize the device while holding the top-right key and nothing appears to happen.

I have a friend who is able to use (I think) Arduino as an ISP and is willing to help me, but he also did ask where was my firmware and I wasn't really sure what he was asking. What would be the firmware in this case?

Again, I'm really unfamiliar with this stuff and I would like to be able to present him with all the tools he would need to hopefully get the PCB running properly again. And it seems like maybe in this case that is burning a new bootloader?

Edit: I flashed the firmware using QMK Toolbox but somehow it stopped working altogether about a day later.

sanlouie_7:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Sun, 13 June 2021, 15:48:19 ---It sounds to me as if flashing QMK to the ATmega32u4's flash memory could have failed.

With the ATmega32u4, the firmware will need to have started and enabled the USB port at its end for Windows to be able to detect the device at all. After that, one of the first things that Windows does when detecting a new USB device is to ask it for its Device Descriptor, and that should also have been handled by the firmware. Weird that it does the first step but not the second.

I don't know which USB diagnostics tools there are on Windows, but I would check if it identifies itself as anything if you would put it in bootloader mode.

--- End quote ---

This is what I was thinking too since I think I am unable to get the PCB into bootloader mode. I would also be afraid that the bootloader is toasted as said by MajorKoos.

I can try to find additional solutions online and see if anything would be worth giving a shot. This helps point me in some sort of direction and it is well appreciated :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version