Author Topic: R4.5 Zealios/Zealencios/Zstabs quick & short GB (Complete)  (Read 78418 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
R4.5 Zealios/Zealencios/Zstabs quick & short GB (Complete)
« on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 04:03:04 »
First things first. People will be asking a few questions so I've compiled a quick FAQ:

Why the sudden R4.5?
I've accidentally oversold a few hundred units of 62g Zealios. Other weights have not been confirmed yet, but I suspect may have also oversold a few hundred+ units. I usually try to keep a healthy buffer as inventory to prevent this from happening, but a minor record keeping error/glitch in the system caused more switches to be sold than originally allowed. Quite an embarrassing ****-up, and measures have been taken to make sure this doesn't happen again. Sorry in advance to those that are affected.

Any new changes?

No, no changes will be made. R4.5 will literally be an extension to R4.

When does the GB End?
Dec 25, 11:59pm PST. As per all my GBs, pre-order pricing will kick in after that time.

When do you expect to start shipping GB/pre-orders?

I expect to receive the shipment from Gateron before end of January (right before Chinese New Years), and will start pumping out orders in February or earlier, if shipment arrives early.

Will this affect my current order in R4?
In most cases, no. You will be contacted if you are one of the few that are affected. R4 orders are still being shipped daily and the goal is to get everyone's order (wherever possible) out before the holiday seasons.

Second round of Zeal60?
Zeal60 second round will be pushed back a bit. Probably will come back for Round 5 Zealio GB.

Lots of people have been PMing/emailing me for another round of Zealencios, so they'll be offered in this quick R4.5 as well. Likewise, screw-in stabs will also be offered at GB price.

Order R4.5 here

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2017, 18:10:59 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: R4.5 Zealios/Zealencios/Zstabs quick & short GB
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 18:30:33 »
January 3, 2017
Orders begin shipping

January 25, 2017
Orders done shipping.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2017, 18:11:23 by Zeal »

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 20:56:53 »
Do you have any extra switches that I could add to my R4 order, I know this is primarily due to over ordering but if there were any that didn't get overordered could I add some from 4.5 to my 4,  it always hurts paying that much for shipping.

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 21:21:05 »
how many free stabs do i get
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 00:24:01 »
Do you have any extra switches that I could add to my R4 order, I know this is primarily due to over ordering but if there were any that didn't get overordered could I add some from 4.5 to my 4,  it always hurts paying that much for shipping.

If you were to add extra switches to your current R4 order, it would most likely delay fulfillment until Feb, with R4.5 as our site has indicated all Zealio weights were sold out in R4. I would much rather have each round cleared out instead of combining orders whenever possible as it makes fulfillment more organized.

---------
how many free stabs do i get

:rolleyes:

Offline inosint

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 11:14:56 »
Thanks for offering a 4.5 run Zeal, not missing another opportunity to try out those zealencios.

Offline pikku-allu

• IG: @kinnalek
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 11:36:53 »
Thanks for offering a 4.5 run Zeal, not missing another opportunity to try out those zealencios.

The Zealencios are amazing, even better than I expected. The cushion effect is pretty much non-existent, as is the travel distance reduction, while they silence the upstroke and bottoming out really well. 10/10, great work Zeal :thumb:.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2016, 13:15:59 by pikku-allu »

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 12:48:53 »
wow, this GB is perfect timing. I am about to receive my R4 Zealios in couple days. If I like them (I am pretty sure I will), I can just jump in this one for another pack.

Thanks
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 18:28:26 »

If you were to add extra switches to your current R4 order, it would most likely delay fulfillment until Feb, with R4.5 as our site has indicated all Zealio weights were sold out in R4. I would much rather have each round cleared out instead of combining orders whenever possible as it makes fulfillment more organized.

I went ahead and placed an order, just to avoid any confusion keep them separate so I get my R4 order asap :D

Thanks again

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline xZ3ROx

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 00:41:17 »
Just made an order. Going to be my first time trying these out. I don't know if I will be patient enough to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 02:21:55 »
Ordered some stuff as well. Will you ship r4 orders separately?
pls gief bbv2

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 03:00:13 »
Yeah, R4 will ship separately from R4.5.

Offline pomk

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 05:34:12 »
If I order the zealio sampler pack, would it be possible to get a zealencio or two to go with it for testing those out as well?

Offline tj_gee

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 08:39:51 »
How many Zealencios per quantity?

And does anyone know if the Whitefox PCB supports those 4-pin RGB LEDs?

EDIT: Looks like SIP sockets make the LEDs work.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2016, 08:54:01 by tj_gee »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 10:02:30 »
If I order the zealio sampler pack, would it be possible to get a zealencio or two to go with it for testing those out as well?

;) If you ask nicely

How many Zealencios per quantity?

And does anyone know if the Whitefox PCB supports those 4-pin RGB LEDs?

EDIT: Looks like SIP sockets make the LEDs work.

Not sure what you mean by the first question. There's a drop down menu for the number of Zealencios you'd like with the corresponding price. 70x, 100x, 120x at different price tiers.

Whitefox PCB does not support 4 pin RGB.

Offline tj_gee

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 10:23:06 »
I must be blind. I missed the top quantity box earlier.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 11:48:07 »
How many switches are there in the sampler pack? Only one of each?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 12:16:01 »
How many switches are there in the sampler pack? Only one of each?

Yes, only one of each.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 12:40:47 »
Question that is probably in the wrong thread...

I have built a GH-122 with Brown/Green switches and SA R3 keycaps.  The feel is quite good with the Greens, but with the Browns, the heavier SA keycaps seem to make the result feel more dull, similar to MX Clear with DSA.  The main 60% block is plate-mounted, which is where feel really matters to me.

This is a home-use keyboard, so I'm looking for the feel of Greens without the click.  Some sort of super-Brown, which my research indicates might be the Zealio switch.

However, now I see that there are FOUR spring weights available, and am hoping to get some advice on which to buy.

To recap, I'd like the feel of a Green, without that loud click.  I understand that additional spring weight will help with the heavier SA keycaps, but I am trying to also avoid the dull feel of Clears.  From the text description it sounds like either the 67g or 78g would fit the bill.

Any advise from other users and/or Zeal?  Particularly people who've tried them with SA keycaps?

Thanks in advance!

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my GH-122 keyboard.

p.s.  My guess is 67 for most keys and a few 78s for the spacebar, etc.  That's what is in my Zeal Shopping cart at the moment.

« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2016, 13:29:49 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline condekind

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 13:19:13 »
Just ordered 90 78g switches. I've been lurking here and in /r/mk for some time, and decided to go ahead and start my first DIY project, with my first Zealios, thanks for the GB! :)

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 13:30:08 »

I have built a GH-122 with Brown/Green switches and SA R3 keycaps.  The feel is quite good with the Greens, but with the Browns, the heavier SA keycaps seem to make the result feel more dull, similar to MX Clear with DSA.  The main 60% block is plate-mounted, which is where feel really matters to me.

This is a home-use keyboard, so I'm looking for the feel of Greens without the click.  Some sort of super-Brown, which my research indicates might be the Zealio switch.

However, now I see that there are FOUR spring weights available, and am hoping to get some advice on which to buy.

To recap, I'd like the feel of a Green, without that loud click.  I understand that additional spring weight will help with the heavier SA keycaps, but I am trying to also avoid the dull feel of Clears.  From the text description it sounds like either the 67g or 78g would fit the bill.

Any advise from other users and/or Zeal?  Particularly people who've tried them with SA keycaps?

Thanks in advance!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Considering MX Greens bottom out at 90g, and MX Clears at 95-100g, both 67g and 78g Zealios are much lighter than either Cherry switches.

I don't use SA caps, so unfortunately I'm unable to provide any insight in terms of feel, etc. Hopefully someone else can chime in. Both weights have been quite popular within the community and provide a much more tactile and smooth bump than Browns.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 13:40:52 »

Thanks in advance!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  My guess is 67 for most keys and a few 78s for the spacebar, etc.  That's what is in my Zeal Shopping cart at the moment.

I may be able to assist you on your quest. I have a few built boards with 67g Zealios and one with 62g. I also have some 78g switches that just arrived, but have not been installed into any board yet.

I noticed you're in Mountain View. I live in Los Altos, so if you want to meet up to judge the feels for yourself, I'm sure it can be arranged.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 04:09:12 »

Thanks in advance!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Might be able to weigh in too: I use greens with GMK caps at home so know the feel quite well. I use lubed 67g's at the office and had SA caps on them for a long time. The difference is quite big and not comparable to greens at all. I have a Planck with 78gs but don't use it often. In any case: 67gs, while they feel orgasmic, do not feel like greens.

I've also recently switched from SA caps back to GMK on my 67gs. Feels much better.
pls gief bbv2

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 10:00:26 »
Thank you very much.  This is quite helpful.  I am meeting eksuer to give the Zealios a try anyhow, but I think I may need heavier springs to create more preload to support the SA keycaps.  The Zealios may be, as you say, orgasmic, but they might not have magical properties after all.

Still, what would it hurt to try a board's worth of them?  I'll look carefully at the order page again -- perhaps I just missed the checkbox for those "magical properties"!

Thanks again!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Might be able to weigh in too: I use greens with GMK caps at home so know the feel quite well. I use lubed 67g's at the office and had SA caps on them for a long time. The difference is quite big and not comparable to greens at all. I have a Planck with 78gs but don't use it often. In any case: 67gs, while they feel orgasmic, do not feel like greens.

I've also recently switched from SA caps back to GMK on my 67gs. Feels much better.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline eddible

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 11:33:03 »
Just ordered some stabs, I assume these are projected for end of January/Feb like the switches?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 12:20:53 »
Just ordered some stabs, I assume these are projected for end of January/Feb like the switches?

Yes. May be a bit earlier like mid January, depending on how soon production can complete.

Offline eddible

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 13:42:10 »

Yes. May be a bit earlier like mid January, depending on how soon production can complete.
Perfect, thanks!

Offline dante

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 22:19:17 »
Zeal,

You mention in the product description that Zealencios may not reliably work with clicky switches.  What if they are JailHouse Blues?  Does that improve compatibility at all?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 01:19:02 »
Zeal,

You mention in the product description that Zealencios may not reliably work with clicky switches.  What if they are JailHouse Blues?  Does that improve compatibility at all?

The compatibility comment is regarding the sprue mark on the stem. If you cut that off, it'll 100% work. In addition, after a jailhouse mod, it's no longer clicky so it'll silence a lot better.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 14:41:52 »
Zeal,

The compatibility comment is regarding the sprue mark on the stem. If you cut that off, it'll 100% work. In addition, after a jailhouse mod, it's no longer clicky so it'll silence a lot better.

As zeal just mentioned, the sprue mark (the little nub that sticks up on the green/blue slider in clicky switches, right next to the keycap stem) will prevent the zealencio from sitting correctly on the switch.  Snip it off with a flush cutter and they should fit fine.
keyboards.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:13:10 »
Hmm.. I can not find any link for changing my shipping address after I have entered it.

Order done. The shipping address is correct, only that the country code in my telephone number was entered twice: once by me and once by the system, apparently. But I won't have it delivered to my door so it won't matter anyway.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:51:12 »
Hmm.. I can not find any link for changing my shipping address after I have entered it.

Order done. The shipping address is correct, only that the country code in my telephone number was entered twice: once by me and once by the system, apparently. But I won't have it delivered to my door so it won't matter anyway.

No problem, I found it and removed the double country code.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 00:42:58 »
First half of shipment from Gateron picked up. ETA Dec 30.

Ahead of schedule, folks.:cool:

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 01:31:20 »
Sweet! What is ETA, Feb?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 03:05:44 »
Sweet! What is ETA, Feb?

More like shortly after New Years.

Offline honeynugget

• /u/honeynugget on reddit
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:25:11 »

More like shortly after New Years.

Yesssss all hail the Zealios gods

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 02:27:22 »
Hi Zeal! I recently invested in some new boards and once again I am looking at using Zealios. Going for 62g this time and I am wondering if there has been any changes made to reduce the "wobble"? Cheers and happy new year to you! :)

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 02:35:12 »
Hi Zeal! I recently invested in some new boards and once again I am looking at using Zealios. Going for 62g this time and I am wondering if there has been any changes made to reduce the "wobble"? Cheers and happy new year to you! :)

Round 4 switches onward have actually improved on the stem wobble quite a bit. Lots of happy customers in the R4 thread. :)

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 02:39:29 »
Awsome news. Thank you for the fast reply. Wish I had the funds to buy all the needed switches for my unassembled boards. At the moment I can only afford to one of them. I guess Zealios will be available to order later on also.

Offline Berzerker

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 12:24:34 »
Awsome news. Thank you for the fast reply. Wish I had the funds to buy all the needed switches for my unassembled boards. At the moment I can only afford to one of them. I guess Zealios will be available to order later on also.

I can personally attest to the improved lack of wobble. Comparing R2 and R3 to an R4 78g, there is a vast lack of wobble. :P

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 21:12:43 »
Definitely want to pick up a bunch of switches but don't have any immediate plans for them so I guess I will wait for GB 5. Any idea on when that will be starting since it looks like I just missed this one?

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 01:17:21 »

Round 4 switches onward have actually improved on the stem wobble quite a bit. Lots of happy customers in the R4 thread. :)

Bought 190 R4 67g for Blackbird and ps2avrgb. Ended up getting in on Viper, Aluminum Clueboard, and picking up a TX75. Filled the ps2avrgb with MOD switches (typing on it now) to see if viable alternative. While good switches, the R4 Zealios are just too refined, ended up getting 130 more to finish the switch need to populate the Blackbird, Viper, Clueboard, and TX75. Also got the stabs (amazing), the lube (great), and Zealencios (yet to be tried). Zeal is also a great guy to buy from, one of my favorite group buys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2017, 01:20:30 by Mr_BeastQuake »

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 01:17:49 »
Managed to double post. Oops
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2017, 01:19:27 by Mr_BeastQuake »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 02:16:42 »
Definitely want to pick up a bunch of switches but don't have any immediate plans for them so I guess I will wait for GB 5. Any idea on when that will be starting since it looks like I just missed this one?

Pretty much received all the R4.5 shipment except for one box that should be delivered in the afternoon via DHL. Once received, switch price will go up to retail pricing. GB for R5 will happen probably late Jan/early Feb, along with a R2 of the Zeal60.

Bought 190 R4 67g for Blackbird and ps2avrgb. Ended up getting in on Viper, Aluminum Clueboard, and picking up a TX75. Filled the ps2avrgb with MOD switches (typing on it now) to see if viable alternative. While good switches, the R4 Zealios are just too refined, ended up getting 130 more to finish the switch need to populate the Blackbird, Viper, Clueboard, and TX75. Also got the stabs (amazing), the lube (great), and Zealencios (yet to be tried). Zeal is also a great guy to buy from, one of my favorite group buys.

Thanks for the positive review & support. :)

Offline eddible

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 02:19:32 »
Wow, that really was quick! Thanks for the update.

Offline hatran87

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 02:27:12 »
Hi Zeal, Will you send a notification email after the orders shipped ?

Compact SQ by Leeku

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 03:03:00 »
Hi Zeal, Will you send a notification email after the orders shipped ?

Yes, you will receive a shipping notification email once order is fulfilled. If shipped via DHL, you will receive tracking too.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 03:25:31 »
Just join GB for Zealios switch and gold stabilizer to build my first custom kb. Can't wait!  :cool:

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 10:48:37 »

Pretty much received all the R4.5 shipment except for one box that should be delivered in the afternoon via DHL. Once received, switch price will go up to retail pricing. GB for R5 will happen probably late Jan/early Feb, along with a R2 of the Zeal60.

Late Jan/early Feb sounds good since I'm not sure what I'm going to be putting them in. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out here for when it starts.  Thanks for the prompt reply!

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 18:43:33 »
My R4.5 order just shipped =], amazed at how fast that happened. Gotta say Zeal when it comes to shipping stuff to the UK from North America you blow everyone else out of the water. R4 arrived super quick and now this one is estimated at 2 days =O. Eagerly looking forward to the R2 Zeal60. Very happy with the switches and stabs from R4 as well! (hence the R4.5 order =P)