Author Topic: HHKB JP has weird key staggering  (Read 1564 times)

Offline eMps

HHKB JP has weird key staggering
« on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 04:10:24 »
That's one of the best things about it, in my opinion. I didn't know about it when I bought it, but I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed it.
Colemak since Jan. 10, 2011

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 04:36:26 »
can you tell me which body part of me is an inch long? and no I'm not taking any jokes..!

Offline Agiel

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 04:44:36 »
Wow, I've been waiting for a keyboard companies to do this since forever. There's no good reason for the stagger not to be 1/4 for all rows. In fact I'd call the current standard "weird" (unless we're talking about non-overlapping mechanical arms) and this is what the standard should be (the ideal would be symmetric stagger or none at all but this is a good first step).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 05:04:52 »
I think its not really important once you've grown accustomed to it. Legend says once people were able to accustome to weird boards which had several caps with letters printed on it you could push down, instead of just writing.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 05:34:31 »
Quote from: Agiel;382478
Wow, I've been waiting for a keyboard companies to do this since forever. There's no good reason for the stagger not to be 1/4 for all rows. In fact I'd call the current standard "weird" (unless we're talking about non-overlapping mechanical arms) and this is what the standard should be (the ideal would be symmetric stagger or none at all but this is a good first step).

Staggering is a legacy from the typewriter mechanism, unlike the qwerty layout could be dismissed w/o big problems.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 11:13:47 »
It makes perfect sense on this keyboard. Due to the amount of keys on that row they need to shift the stagger left a bit so they didn't have to do a reduced size key. I'm thinking it's nice to have vertical alignment on the arrows cluster as well. This is the better way to do it. Many of the compact JIS layout keyboards do reduced 3/4 sized width keys on the arrow cluster which is crappy.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 11:15:23 »
stagger = swagger
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 08:52:31 »
I am curious to how people think the stagger feels like. Is it hard to adapt? Do you press the wrong keys?