Author Topic: High quality wrist rests?  (Read 8213 times)

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
High quality wrist rests?
« on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 14:31:55 »
I got myself a Ducky wrist rest a few months back. It's really nice compared to the shoddy pinewood wrist rest I made in 9th grade. I slapped some black paint on it and glued some rubber bands to the back for friction. Either way the Ducky wrist rest is for TKL boards, which I don't think I will actually stick with for all that long. A while back, I looked at the offerings of quality wrist rests but was pretty disappointed to find that the vast majority were either wood, which I find way too hard compared to leather, or various low quality materials. The only good one I've been able to find is the ones over at Elitekeyboards, but that pricing is pretty crazy to say the least. I've also found traces of Nokos, but the website is no longer up and the user hasn't posted on Reddit in a year.

Have you all been able to find anything better?
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Re: High quality wrist rests?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 11:09:16 »
My favourite one is actually the original leather filco that is no longer in production. I learned it when I was looking for a replacement.
I also like the grifiti ones for their feels although they are a little bit too tall and they get dirty very quickly.
I have 2 pads from Noko leather works. One is set of pads for Ergodox without which I basically can't use my ErgoDox, and one is standard 60% pad which believe it or not, I don't like for some reason. It's hard to touch but padding is a bit soft giving it weird feel. ErgoDox set doesn't have this problem though.
Oh and of course I tried many wooden ones but I don't like 100% hard pads. Really, that original Filco ones were so good :(
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 15:10:49 »
Ah, that is a real shame. I expected my Ducky to be a lot softer initially, I guess it depends on the padding more than anything.

Cool to hear that Noko did Ergodox rests, I'd love to see someone else step up and take that place!
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 04:19:00 »
Have you thought about a gel wrist rest? It's probably not up to your "high quality" standards, but I guarantee you it's more comfortable than any flat rest. Due to it's shape there are no obvious pressure points and the gel takes off heat effectively, I like to use them more as 'arm rests' than wrist rests. I'm talking specifically about something like this:
More

But there are also designs that cover the entire keyboard (although lack the shape benefit):
More

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 20:27:33 »
The grifiti one is the nicest i've ever used. I gave it away on here and replaced it with an ishot pro which never broke in nearly as much. breaks my heart. i'll just have to give it away and get another grifiti, lol.

I cant stand gell wrist rests. dont like how they feel against skin

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 03:45:11 »
I suppose there are different kinds of gel rests. Many, many years back we had a mouse pad with integrated wrist rest. It sucked balls, not least of which was because it was constantly in the way of using the mouse, but it also felt too spongy and dirty. The rest in the first picture (second broken and needs to be opened in new tab...) I use with my trackball. It's a fairly solid gel and really comfortable. I do have the Griffitis for my Ergodox, but in comparison prefer the gel one, the gel rest not only eliminates the two pressure points at the base of the hand, but also allows for better mobility while resting your hand (convenient for gaming or short-cutting) and there's less sweat (the Griffiti just feels really sticky after a while). It's only around 6-10€ as well.

A completely different idea is to get something like the Ergorest. I've been meaning to get those to give them a try, but they are a little more expensive to just "try out".

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 07:51:41 »
I use the Ducky wrist rest myself and I have to say that it is a major improvement over the Corsair K70 included wrist rest. I got mine a bit more expensive, though, because I have to have it shipped. Otherwise ,I can recommend this particular wrist rest for comfort.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:03:59 »
I use the Ducky wrist rest myself and I have to say that it is a major improvement over the Corsair K70 included wrist rest. I got mine a bit more expensive, though, because I have to have it shipped. Otherwise ,I can recommend this particular wrist rest for comfort.

Is it real leather or pleather? Would get one if pleather

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 10:47:18 »

Is it real leather or pleather? Would get one if pleather

It's real leather.:3

Offline atomicus

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 18:42:26 »
I do see a lot of wooden ones around, and there's an NPCC one on Massdrop right now (no idea if that's any good), but they've always struck me as an oddity for something to rest on. That said, never actually used a hard rest personally, and I like a softer surface.

Offline OkinaDaikon

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 00:04:46 »
How about the wrist pads from pc gaming race?

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-mechanical-keyboard-gaming-wrist-pad-rest-black-thick

I have a pair of these, one for my work and one at home. They're comfortable and machine washable.

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:21:52 »
Check out https://battlestation.io/ ! They have nice wooden wrist rests for a reasonable price. You can customize it and have one for 40%  to a full sized; even split board wrist rests, not to mention, it's a really nice looking website too!
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:24:33 by ShishKabobJerry »

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
  • reddit /u/PleaseBeMyFriend
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 18:05:56 »
I got myself a Ducky wrist rest a few months back. It's really nice compared to the shoddy pinewood wrist rest I made in 9th grade. I slapped some black paint on it and glued some rubber bands to the back for friction. Either way the Ducky wrist rest is for TKL boards, which I don't think I will actually stick with for all that long. A while back, I looked at the offerings of quality wrist rests but was pretty disappointed to find that the vast majority were either wood, which I find way too hard compared to leather, or various low quality materials. The only good one I've been able to find is the ones over at Elitekeyboards, but that pricing is pretty crazy to say the least. I've also found traces of Nokos, but the website is no longer up and the user hasn't posted on Reddit in a year.

Have you all been able to find anything better?

I went to the EK storefront recently and talked with Brian, the owner. They're so expensive and are supposedly going to get more expensive because it's made from Japanese kobe leather. They have one on display and it's really a luxury item, but it is indeed very, very nice.