Author Topic: Don't really know where I stand with the whole kb hobby  (Read 4585 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Don't really know where I stand with the whole kb hobby
« on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 19:51:34 »
I find my self in this precarious, illusive position.  I use to be really into the cherry boards.  I've literally owned every cherry switch out there at one point in time.  I've tried topre, I have buckling spring boards out the ass.  Now I'm venturing into alps.  I'm finding myself getting more and more into the vintage stuff...early 90s, late 80s boards.  I have no idea why.  I think my interest in keyboards is waning something serious.  On my drive home from work today I actually contemplated selling my entire collection sans a few boards that I just wouldn't be able to part with (namely a near mint condition F AT).  I think I might be nearing a breaking point with this hobby.  Every time I get a new keyboard in the mail I feel almost guilty, isn't really even thrilling anymore...it justs meh.  I feel like a heroin addict....getting a new keyboard isn't exciting, it just gets me back to normal.

Anyone else been through this?  I think it may be time for me to take a sabbatical from Geekhack, DT, and the keyboard scene as a whole.  :-\
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Don't really know where I stand with the whole kb hobby
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 19:54:14 »
Happens with many hobbies. I'd say if you have any feeling like you aren't enjoying it, it is time to back off.

You can still participate in the forums with just one keyboard, you know. :P
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 19:58:18 »
one of the reasons i picked up a bike.

i finally found the switch and board that feels right and i have no desire for anything else. noticed how much money i wasted on keycaps too.

there is only one other board im waiting on tho, kmac mini. after that, don't really care for anything.

same thing happened to my sneaker hobby too.

went from popular > slightly older > shoes i wanted as a kid and finally got the chance to rebuy them. until i got board of it.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:13:57 »
I don't think it would hurt to recoup some of your investment by selling the boards that you don't use. Better than it just sitting there.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:25:30 »
Yes, I think I'm going to end up having a fire sale of a ton of keyboard stuff.  I'm just waiting on some USPS Flat Rate boxes to arrive.  Items I'm for sure selling: IBM SSK, Unicomp, Filco TKL w/ reds, Siig Minitouch, broken Siig Minitouch with many salvageable parts, Ducky 1008xm, crap ton of novelty keycaps, ton of spare WYSE caps, IBM F XT, Clickclacks.  Who knows...I probably have more crap buried in my closet somewhere that I've never used.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:29:12 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:36:56 »
Call dibs on SSK?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:40:21 »
Being one of the older members (58), I have been through many hobbies and interests. One thing I have found is that as the interest begins to wane I tend to throw more money at it in hopes of reviving that first love. 

It reminds me a new favorite song that I've just heard for the first time. I tend to listen to it over and over again until I know the lyrics, the harmony, the melody, everything about it. At that moment when there's nothing left to know it loses its magic.

The best thing to do is just set it aside for a while.  You may just need a break. You may come back to it one day with a renewed interest. If not, it becomes another asset that makes you more knowledgeable and able to be better at the next endeavor you pursue.

I wouldn't be too hasty in selling everything too soon. Give it some time. And don't completely cut off your ties with Geekhacks.  I've enjoyed your input over the last few months.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:41:57 »
Sad news bro :(

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:46:32 »
Hope you stick around AKIMbro - for me the excitement is whats next.  What are the new boards, keys, ideas...Seeing things like wooden keys, full key dye sub, iron man keys gets me jacked about enhancing and adding to my collection.  I've been hooked for almost a year now, sticking mostly to MX Browns and I still love the feel every time my fingers hit the keys, and my eyes glace at my colorful board.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:48:05 »
Oh beautiful clown noses all over I3oilers keyboard

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:48:53 »
It may be a little silly but it makes me smile

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 21:01:50 »
Yea i think that's the best way to approach it. That way when newer and more awesomer sturff comes out you'll have no choice but to cop.

Sent from my HTC Sensation

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 21:07:43 »
I'm also kinda at that point, it's not as exciting as it was a few months ago but I still really enjoy the hobby in general. I only have BS and topres left to try and I'm not really actively looking for either.

But then again this isn't my only hobby
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 21:18:34 »
I hear you on this. And for me, I pretty much just collect stuff for the sake of it. I don't actually use any keyboards other than my HHKB. I think this hobby is mostly about:

'HEY LOOK WHAT I HAVE!!!'

It's best that you just take a break and do something else for a while. Sometimes I just feel like selling everything off and saying f--- it, but I know I would probably regret it later on.
I think if you manage to be happy with what you have now, and not worry about all the new **** out there, or things you don't have, it wouldn't be an issue.

But I hope you stick around bro, you are good for the community. But do what you feel is best for you.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 21:23:18 »
In a sense I'm kinda jealous because it means you're so much closer to keyboard nirvana than all of us here.

Sent from my HTC Sensation

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 22:22:19 »
OT: I just had an epiphany (not a bathroom one, bpiphany :P). I think Nirvana is actually the state of "meh" where nothing really excites or disappoints you anymore. The French call it ennui.

I know the feeling, AKIMbO. I thought obtaining a KMAC would bring me such great joy, but I don't really enjoy it any more than I do my Filcos, honestly. And I know the "oneness of cup rubber," from my experience with my HHKB Pro JP and now with a RF 10th AE 55g. They're all great keyboards, and so much better than stupid rubber domes that I refuse to type on those anymore, but I'm not really excited about that "next big thing" anymore.

To be honest, I have stayed with this hobby far longer than usual. I have many interests, and I tend to be what I call a "serial hobbyist." I usually obsess over one hobby for about 6 weeks to 3 months, and then I lose interest and move on to something else. From photography, to shooting, to Ham radio, etc. I think the main reason I have stayed seriously interested in keyboards for so long has been this forum. I have a support group. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 22:34:31 »
You know, actually a Dell DJ-331 isn't that bad, now that I think about it. It doesn't feel that much different than a Topre board. I could probably live with that, or one of the Logitech scissor switch models. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 23:09:33 »
You know, actually a Dell DJ-331 isn't that bad, now that I think about it. It doesn't feel that much different than a Topre board. I could probably live with that, or one of the Logitech scissor switch models. :)

Yeah, I also have a Logitech Illuminated - which is fantastic to type on!  Definitely the most comfortable scissor switch I've ever typed on.

you say that about EVERY board you get. then sell it a week later!

Offline posthaste

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 23:19:34 »
Anyone else been through this?  I think it may be time for me to take a sabbatical from Geekhack, DT, and the keyboard scene as a whole.  :-\

If you don't mind my asking, what is your "daily driver" keyboard?  What keyboard do you use the most on a daily basis?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 23:23:00 »
The only thing that still holds any interest to me is finding Cherry keycaps in weird colors. Other than that I have toned down my buying in a huge way the last month or so. Otherwise I'm only buying interesting vintage stuff if it's a really really good deal now. Like the Cherry Amiga 2000 I got earlier in the week... for $15. Though I did waste some money on a BL82 shell in bright red for the $10 TG3 I got last week. LOL. Shell cost twice as much! Hilarious.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 01:48:29 »
My interest in keyboards has waxed and waned.  I'm to the point now where I've tried almost everything and I know very specifically what is important to me in terms of look and feel.  It's a good place to be, though I miss the exciting early days and the mystique everything had back then.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 03:22:58 »
My interest in keyboards has waxed and waned.  I'm to the point now where I've tried almost everything and I know very specifically what is important to me in terms of look and feel.  It's a good place to be, though I miss the exciting early days and the mystique everything had back then.

I think a lot of that sentiment is just a by product of experience, in the end we all feel like this about something in our lives, especially the things we devote the most to, be it relationships, hobbies or just life in general. But I tend to agree the most important thing is in the end to look back positively and feel you achieved a balance.

After all the hype is said and done Geekhack is a great community of diverse people, not just unique equipment.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 07:55:28 »

If you don't mind my asking, what is your "daily driver" keyboard?  What keyboard do you use the most on a daily basis?

My daily drivers (I always use two keyboards) are a Realforce 87u (45g weighted) and an IBM F AT.  I use the F AT when no one is home because it's fun, clicky and loud.  The 87u comes out when my GF gets home since I don't want to bother her with the incessant machine gun clack of an ancient IBM. 
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 09:13:15 »
Every time I get a new keyboard in the mail I feel almost guilty, isn't really even thrilling anymore...it justs meh.  I feel like a heroin addict....getting a new keyboard isn't exciting, it just gets me back to normal.

I think you need to start on the real HEAVY stuff.  You're use to the pedestrian junk that's easily available, that's why you need to ditch the badly mixed crap and delve into the undiluted, pure strength of heaven.

Why not design and build one from scratch....?  8)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 September 2012, 09:17:33 by Elrick »

Offline Trent

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 13:53:12 »
I got into it because I knew that when I was done with it I'd have a couple of great keyboards that I could use for personal use.  Don't master the hobby, that way you are still able to be amazed when something new comes out.  Don't over think the mods or the deals or the sales.  I limit the amount of stuff I read and purchase because I want to keep myself amazed abut all of the new things that come out.  Make lists on what you want to read about and purchase, then complete them slowly.  You'll find that if you pace down your speed you may end up realizing hey I want to focus on these 2 things and only purchase these 3 things.

Take me for example: don't know wtf a moogle kit is but it sounds cool I know it has something to do with keycaps, can't name specific mods and the individuals that released them, don't read the forums religiously.

Just ease back and enjoy the items that come through.  I find that many individuals with hobbies like to right off the bat learn 100% about the hobby so they can out-talk anyone else.  I don't find that fun (at least for hobbies).

DanGWang can attest to my stupidity  even though I own about 35 keyboards :))

P.S. Also find a storage solution that makes it all seem reasonable.
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 16:09:28 »
honestly, i like making stuff (like helping to build this awesome community and site) more than keyboards. keep in mind that we're still all here even if you settle on a single keyboard

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 16:29:22 »
i hate kawa

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 16:36:22 »
I remember AKIMbO from my lurking years when I didn't have an acc. Sometimes a little time of is all you need to get some perspective. Perhaps you will get back to it with another approach and view on it. I have found that to be the case with many hobbies.

i love kawa

Me too

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 17:12:19 »
I remember AKIMbO from my lurking years when I didn't have an acc.

How is that possible. Joined Oct 2011, hasn't even had a cake day yet :)

I think one of the problems with hobbies is that sometimes I also go a little overboard. It is odd though the number of people on GH who are experiencing this same sort of withdrawal around the same time? Perhaps having the site down for a bit caused several of us to stop and take a breath.

I personally decided to slow down a bit when I started delving into the world of vintage alps boards and realized how much I was spending. I still love my keyboards though, just gonna slow down a bit.

I know many will disagree, but I do miss reading Ripsters posts.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 18:24:04 »
There is always a saturation point.

I don't know whether polls are still possible, but I would be curious to know:

(1) how many keyboards did you try before you found one that you really liked?

and

(2) how many keyboards did you OWN before you found one that you REALLY LOVED?

After that, what is left?

PS - I too miss Ripster's knowledge and insightful contributions, although he was getting to be an exponentially more bizarre troll towards the end.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 18:49:11 »
How is that possible. Joined Oct 2011, hasn't even had a cake day yet :)

I am probably remembering things wrong then. Still, some time away and a new set of eyes to look at a hobby will make it appear quite different. I often find different facets of things some time after I grew tired of them.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 19:02:58 »
Just ease back and enjoy the items that come through.  I find that many individuals with hobbies like to right off the bat learn 100% about the hobby so they can out-talk anyone else.  I don't find that fun (at least for hobbies).

True, I only got into collecting keyboards since 2009, when I got a beat up old Model-M.  It was huge, dirty and extremely fugly but I loved it to death.  It still is sitting in front of a computer being used.  I should read up more on the different kinds of keyboards and switches that were made and sold in channels, but I can't be bothered.  Too busy having fun on OLD junk rather than enjoying the new.

Although I do respect the boffins that know everything there is to know about every keyboard that was ever made in the last 30 years.  Kudos to them.

DanGWang can attest to my stupidity  even though I own about 35 keyboards :))

I don't think it's the amount that sets you apart from anyone else other than it shows how serious you are about the hobby.  Because even if you have 2000 keyboards you will instinctively know which are the top 5 that you love using the most.  The trouble is finding those 5 amidst all that junk you've amassed.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 September 2012, 19:06:28 by Elrick »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 19:10:49 »
PS - I too miss Ripster's knowledge and insightful contributions, although he was getting to be an exponentially more bizarre troll towards the end.

I miss him also, his knowledge was unbelievable when it came to any type of keyboard.  But yes, maybe having all that specialized erudition has finally driven him insane, who knows?

No person should possess that amount of information with out coming to terms with their own fragile psyche......  8)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 September 2012, 19:18:06 by Elrick »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 23:23:05 »
I miss the old ripster I used to read in old threads.  I don't miss the destructive, vindictive ass he became.

Offline Trent

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 11:20:53 »
I miss the old ripster I used to read in old threads.  I don't miss the destructive, vindictive ass he became.

I miss the random youtube videos, jeez I bet his bookmarks are crazy organized.
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:30:23 »
I was going insane with my old Logitech RD. Maybe its just worn out, but horrible nonetheless.

Then I googled, found GH and saw a reasonably priced way to get relief. Now that I associate sites like this with relief, I come here to have a relaxing read.

Its not about getting the next consumer fix for me. That is the *master habbit* that I learned to kick.

Now, if only some computer retailers would put mech keyboards on proper display, some of us could make better purchasing decisions without the extra expense.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:57:21 »
Keyboreds. 

It's always a good time for a break.