Author Topic: iMav is doing the right thing.  (Read 12071 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: iMav is doing the right thing.
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 14:33:02 »
For example, corsair buys geekhack,   Their goal is not to pester us with ads,   it's to silently embed corsair brand solutions to the things we talk about.

/Begin

Enough people on the forum says their lamp isn't bright enough..

Corsair creates an account, changes the numbers 87 posts, anime avatar.. etc.

This account posts a potential solution to a lamp, as designed by corsair..

Then corsair gauges interest and potential sales based on feedback, finally deciding to build the product or not.

I just wonder what will happen if whoever buys it doesn't find enough value in the site/community to continue hosting it/recoup the cost, as then it's back to square one, worse case scenario with a 'sunsetting' of the site for good. If it actually was used to gauge product feedback then I could see the utility with the kind of hacker-types here (are there any equivalent examples of this occurring with forums before though?) but we don't know the motivations of the unknown companies making the offers atm so I guess it's easy to speculate the best (and worst) case scenarios before anything begins changing.

Then we go to deskthority..

hahahaha..  guys.. we all want Gekha to succeed and grow,  that REQUIRES investment.

The internet is big..  if it doesn't work out.. we move..

At worst,  someone takes the bones of Gekha,  and registers Geekhack2.org..

I mean, we can't lose in this..  the solutions are so simple..

We're all LIVE people,   ya'll remember the movie antz..  for every grasshopper, there are thousands of us..

HAHAHAHAHAHHA

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 14:35:54 »
huge warning that people have to turn off ad-block to use the site? There's probably more options and that might be a huge turn off too

Realistically I wonder how many users do disable them when presented with such messages, especially as it seems quite a number already seem against a buy-out (may matter less over time though with an influx of new users).

I only disable ads if it literally forces me to, or it's a site I really care about and understand that ads are the one way to monetize it. So yeah, if GH implements non-intrusive ads I'd disable my blocker, as I'm sure most would

I'm on the other side; I just view the content as not worth my time if ads is the only way that they can make money, unless it's a community that I'm connected to and I understand that they will not allow intrusive ads from intrusive networks.

So I'm assuming you'd rather something like a membership? Cause I'd absolute have some **** on the sides I can mentally block out that to actually have to pay money directly

Yeah... membership is better and more forthright to me.  I pay that on a few sites, because I'd rather have the revenue stream open than "yeah, we make the money on ads."  "Pay for the things you really use" is my Mantra.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 14:37:50 »
huge warning that people have to turn off ad-block to use the site? There's probably more options and that might be a huge turn off too

Realistically I wonder how many users do disable them when presented with such messages, especially as it seems quite a number already seem against a buy-out (may matter less over time though with an influx of new users).

Two large forums I know have ads but it's pure chance whether they're riddled with malware or browser hijacks since the quality of the ads is so low and (presumably) they haven't found anything better. One of the forums offers a monthly/yearly subscription to disable the ads from the site itself though they offer no other user perks which I think they could re-consider tbh.

Ever since the block-elements option from uBlock Origin,   it's just super simple..

Offline Coreda

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 14:42:21 »

Or, or, just imagine...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 14:47:01 »

Or, or, just imagine...

Show Image

Tp4 am humbled by your generous good thoughts..

Tp4 is not self-important enough to have his own website..

Tp4 will remain with, and if need be die with Gekha,

then Reborn on Gekha 2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:13:12 »
if ya'll were to build a Freemium version of Gekha..

How would ya'll go about it ??

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:55:48 »
Hi I would like to delete my account.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:13:10 by clasicks »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:56:50 »

make it so users cant use 48pt teal type

Freemium 48pt teal font.. !!

Great idea Clasicks

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:57:10 »

make it so users cant use 48pt teal type

And that puddsy can only comment on posts for buys he is involved in.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:59:49 »

And that puddsy can only comment on posts for buys he is involved in.

what's puddsy sayn' in the posts..   he bein' muy negativo ??

Offline Haaaaaandrew

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 16:57:30 »
I've only been casually browsing GH for a little over a year, so my opinion might not carry as much weight as some of the more prominent users but the thing that rubbed me the wrong way is how iMav talked about wanting to keep in the community and put his buy it now price on the site. When someone from the community stepped up to the plate with double that asking price in hand iMav backed out of the deal to garner bids from additional parties after stating that he would accept 15k regardless of other offers if someone from the community wanted to buy it. 

I don't know who the buyer is (or if a sale has even taken place), they might a big player in the eastern community, which could help merge the east and west communities into a larger community here on GH resulting in faster innovations and more groupbuys? On the other hand, they might be capitalistic asshats who don't care about keyboards and just want to riddle the forum with sponsored threads and rake in those sweet, sweet CPC dollars? 

From a monetary perspective it makes sense, there are a lot of active users and page views here. All of those impressions add up quickly when buyers start look at their potential return on investment. Assuming the published statistics are accurate, this site could make a good deal of money from unobtrusive advertisements based on the $/impressions alone allowing for investment in site improvements and relief from the current voluntary donation model. Although I feel like that is something that could have been accomplished without out right selling the site? 

But it's pointless for me to speculate on what could have been done differently or what might become of geekhack once it changes hands officially. To me the sale just seemed like a disorganized cash grab from a creator who cares about money more than the community he worked so hard to build. While I disagree with how it was handled, I respect that the decision was solely at iMav's discretion as the owner of the site.

At the end of the day, I just want a place to look at and buy awesome keyboard stuff. I hope that place can continue to be GH once the new owners take over :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 17:09:14 »

Concerns..

Haaaaaandrew,  You've voiced your concern in a very legible and objective way.

Alot of the pitchforking thus far centers around Geekhack in NAME..  iMav owns the brand..

That's ALL that he owns..

Geekhack (unlike Facebook)  has no fundmental leverage over its users. 

This is because Gekha users can easily pick up and take their business elsewhere.

And it's also because of our versatility, that Tp4 believes Gekha will be mostly immune to serious Commercial interest tampering..

Wait and see is the most realistic course of action for all current users..

We are Gekha..  and if they won't let us be Gekha, We'll register Gekha 2, or  We'll join Deskthora..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 17:38:32 »
tp believes people are inherently good and will put people's interests ahead of their own pocketbooks in the end.

if tp believes that

tp is one naive mo'fo.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 17:42:52 »
Despite being a vendor, I am still hopeful Zeal will be taken up on his offer(s). Or a combination of him and other community members. That would be the "right thing," in my opinion. I'm sure the iKBC guys would be all over this if they got wind

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 17:50:12 »
Despite being a vendor, I am still hopeful Zeal will be taken up on his offer(s). Or a combination of him and other community members. That would be the "right thing," in my opinion. I'm sure the iKBC guys would be all over this if they got wind

I don't think that is realistic.

There's no way the admin/mods are up for paying what Gekha is actually worth on the open market.

I can thoroughly understand how the admins who did so much free work feel.. It's like they've built this Free Space,  and have it snatched away from them..

It's unfortunate that iMav is not himself able to capitalize on Gekha's potential and utilize the team to their fullest..

Tp4 believes we can make it work, because there's really nothing a keyboard site can hold hostage against its users..

In the end,  if it doesn't work out,  Geekhack 2.org..  This isn't facebook, we can pick up and go.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 17:57:48 »
Got the domain name geekhack.eu . Gonna use phpBB and just make it the same as the current geekhack with some differences . No ad's and it will be hosted in the US Miami beach. If i get enough interest i will put more time into it.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Coreda

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 17:59:41 »
In the end,  if it doesn't work out,  Geekhack 2.org..  This isn't facebook, we can pick up and go.

Of course there's the whole paying for it thing. Naturally it begins with a single person bearing the cost to start it all and... whoa, ten years and three mortgages later does time fly
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:02:22 by Coreda »

Offline dimo

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:01:48 »
Got the domain name geekhack.eu . Gonna use phpBB and just make it the same as the current geekhack with some differences . No ad's and it will be hosted in the US Miami beach. If i get enough interest i will put more time into it.

Please make it at least look better

And thanks for doing all of this
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:07:29 by dimo »

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:06:26 »

Force Miami color theme

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:07:43 »

I don't think that is realistic.

There's no way the admin/mods are up for paying what Gekha is actually worth on the open market.

I can thoroughly understand how the admins who did so much free work feel.. It's like they've built this Free Space,  and have it snatched away from them..

It's unfortunate that iMav is not himself able to capitalize on Gekha's potential and utilize the team to their fullest..

Tp4 believes we can make it work, because there's really nothing a keyboard site can hold hostage against its users..

Not necessarily mods or admins. It may be that Zeal has rescinded his offer @30K but if not and the bid is ~50K, perhaps another vendor or someone would be willing to be his partner in a joint venture. I know iMav's word should be taken with a grain of salt now but he did say that he would like to find a balance of high bid and correct intentions for the site. It is rather hopeful anyway...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:09:18 »
It's great that ya'll are Pro-Active hahahaha

Good call user -Sup-.. 

We prepare for the worst..

But AT LEAST give the new owners a chance..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:11:14 »

Not necessarily mods or admins. It may be that Zeal has rescinded his offer @30K but if not and the bid is ~50K, perhaps another vendor or someone would be willing to be his partner in a joint venture. I know iMav's word should be taken with a grain of salt now but he did say that he would like to find a balance of high bid and correct intentions for the site. It is rather hopeful anyway...

Yea..  iMav needs money, but he's not a heart-less machine..

Overall,  I am optimistic of what the future holds,  Whoever the new management may be..

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:18:21 »
It's great that ya'll are Pro-Active hahahaha

Good call user -Sup-.. 

We prepare for the worst..

But AT LEAST give the new owners a chance..

I don't really like the idea being sold to a "company". In my opinion there should be a forum made by the community and runned by the community. Server is up and running now i have to wait a bit and configure everything and set permissions.

Force Miami color theme

xD. I am going for a dark themed website like the current Geekhack it will change later and the website will be more advanced in the future if it picks up.

Please make it at least look better

And thanks for doing all of this

In the begin it will  look basic like how Geekhack looks at the moment will probably change in the future.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline Belfong

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 20:09:50 »
I'd go for Discourse as the forum software of choice. It's great for mobile.

Or, or, just imagine...

Show Image

Go for it, tp4!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 20:12:12 »
Copying a post here I made from one of the other threads on the topic:

I just want to clear up some of the uncertainty about the sale of the site.  The new owners have reached out to the mod team, and we've had a productive conversation.  They are not a data mining company or interested in the site for its users' personal data.  Instead they invested in the site out of a desire to preserve the community and nurture the keyboard hobby. 

A formal announcement will be coming tomorrow morning, and everyone will have an opportunity to ask their questions.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 20:14:26 »
I don't really like the idea being sold to a "company". In my opinion there should be a forum made by the community and runned by the community. Server is up and running now i have to wait a bit and configure everything and set permissions.

That's not 'made by the community', that's made by you.  Same as this was always iMavs.

Offline dimo

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 20:15:26 »
Copying a post here I made from one of the other threads on the topic:

I just want to clear up some of the uncertainty about the sale of the site.  The new owners have reached out to the mod team, and we've had a productive conversation.  They are not a data mining company or interested in the site for its users' personal data.  Instead they invested in the site out of a desire to preserve the community and nurture the keyboard hobby. 

A formal announcement will be coming tomorrow morning, and everyone will have an opportunity to ask their questions.

If they’re interests stay the same as you say, that sounds great.

iMav is a long time member so he probably wouldn’t drop it so hard.

We’ll see tomorrow

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 08:08:03 »

Same as this was always iMavs.

I don't think that there was any serious adult conversation here about iMav's ownership and his right to sell, but rather what appears to be breaking of a firm contract.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 08:33:06 »

I don't think that there was any serious adult conversation here about iMav's ownership and his right to sell, but rather what appears to be breaking of a firm contract.

I would agree with that assessment. I personally didn't think too much about rjght to sell as he had full ownership and possession.  The breach of contract is what inspired the most ire in me, personally.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 08:47:24 »

I would agree with that assessment. I personally didn't think too much about rjght to sell as he had full ownership and possession.  The breach of contract is what inspired the most ire in me, personally.

What contract?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 09:01:38 »

What contract?

https://study.com/academy/lesson/verbal-contract-definition-law.html

There was a verbal contract implied in that series of PMs, in my opinion.  Of course, I'm not a lawyer so I don't know how that would hold up in court.

Offline duckboi

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 09:21:54 »

What contract?

https://study.com/academy/lesson/verbal-contract-definition-law.html

There was a verbal contract implied in that series of PMs, in my opinion.  Of course, I'm not a lawyer so I don't know how that would hold up in court.

I don't think those PMs mean anything legally binding. To me, its just unfortunate. - Let's hope for the best to come from this.
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 09:23:09 »
That was not a breach of contract that was a seller changing his mind mid deal, happens all the time. (and who says those PMs are even real besides one of the parties involved?)

I get being upset about being powerless during this whole situation but getting upset about iMav backing out a deal with zeal? Makes no sense to me.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 09:43:17 »
That was not a breach of contract that was a seller changing his mind mid deal, happens all the time.
true, this was just someone going back on their words. Zeal was asking iMav to draft a contract to formalize the deal, ergo everything before that was just a gentleman's agreement that was unfortunately broken

(and who says those PMs are even real besides one of the parties involved?)
that's a pretty stupid assertion, come on..

I get being upset about being powerless during this whole situation but getting upset about iMav backing out a deal with zeal? Makes no sense to me.
makes plenty of sense to a lot of people.. at a certain point it stopped being about needing the money, and greed took over. whether or not you feel iMav's action was justified is up to you, but it should be quite apparent why some people may not hold iMav in the best light after what he did
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 09:44:55 by whentheclouds »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:21:18 »

What contract?

Maybe you are right, since the transaction was never completed.

Although I think that most people would interpret iMav's "Will do" as acceptance, the money never changed hands.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:16:38 »

What contract?

Although I think that most people would interpret iMav's "Will do" as acceptance, the money never changed hands.

Will did.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:41:20 »

That's not 'made by the community', that's made by you.  Same as this was always iMavs.

Yeah true. But i am gonna give the community the choice by using Polls :) . So in a way it's also made by the voices of the community.
current
Coming soon

Offline rxc92

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 04:16:11 »
lol tp you do literally anything but impart people with a sense of calm

Come on buddy, getting triggered at tp4 is a 2012 thing to do. I personally agree with his many points, and I have no doubt that anyone carrying on with a holier-than-though attitude would gladly dismount their horse for $30,000 USD. iMav has done his part in making this a forum, and I hold no ill will for him having a real life job and kids that are infinitely more important than a forum.

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:27:44 »

Come on buddy, getting triggered at tp4 is a 2012 thing to do. I personally agree with his many points, and I have no doubt that anyone carrying on with a holier-than-though attitude would gladly dismount their horse for $30,000 USD. iMav has done his part in making this a forum, and I hold no ill will for him having a real life job and kids that are infinitely more important than a forum.

lol? you couldn't have misinterpreted me any harder dude, don't quote me in ur nonsense

Offline rxc92

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:58:50 »

lol? you couldn't have misinterpreted me any harder dude, don't quote me in ur nonsense

Think it was interpreted pretty accurately, you can't go around flaming someone then claiming someone to be misinterpreting. Whatever lets you sleep at night though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:40:11 »
Everyone calm down..  massdrop isn't an evil corporation.. (YET)..  So it's fine..

We'll see what happens.. hahahaha

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:48:59 »
removed
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 18:00:27 by clasicks »

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:30:53 »

Think it was interpreted pretty accurately, you can't go around flaming someone then claiming someone to be misinterpreting. Whatever lets you sleep at night though.

"lol tp you do literally anything but impart people with a sense of calm"

You think that's flaming? You're joking, right?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:07:05 »
Paying $15'000 USD over PayPal ... :facepalm:

Anyway. I have sometimes been wondering if not both Tp4 and Ripster are sock puppets of iMav.
Has any user ever met any of them in real life?

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:23:33 »
Everyone calm down..  massdrop isn't an evil corporation.. (YET)..  So it's fine..

We'll see what happens.. hahahaha

Show Image

I bet MD even pays employees to moderate their own discussion boards - maybe our wonderful mods here will start getting extra paychecks!

Haven't you deleted all your old posts in a fit of rage/social protest? How long will this post last before you remove it from the internet to preserve personal data
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:58:14 »
removed
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 18:00:34 by clasicks »

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:17:10 »
Paying $15'000 USD over PayPal ... :facepalm:

Anyway. I have sometimes been wondering if not both Tp4 and Ripster are sock puppets of iMav.
Has any user ever met any of them in real life?
Can confirm, they are 3 separate people  ^-^ don't @ me Tp

What contract?

Will did.

:cool:

It was more than just a verbal agreement! It was written... I feel very bad for Zeal

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:28:23 »
Are you that bothered that I am unhappy that geekhack has been bought out by Mass Drop? Yes, I can edit my old posts as I please, if I had the chance to erase them I would.

Bothered? No I just think it's humorous that you both simultaneously protest the site in such impactful ways while also continuing to use it.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:31:59 »
Trying to do the best of a bad situation ...

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:34:51 »
removed
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 18:00:42 by clasicks »