Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 4th 2019 on Drop.com  (Read 295871 times)

Offline Ensaum

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:23:14 »
I'd also really like to have base mods with normal legends...

soooo the monochrome kit?

No, the base mods in different colors, but with regular legends rather than git commands.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:23:43 »

soooo the monochrome kit?

No, the base mods in different colors, but with regular legends rather than git commands.
oooooooooo yea

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:23:48 »
gib Hiraganas :p

Offline kwerdenker

• thinkkwer.eu
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:26:40 »
Thank you for being open and honest about the situation regarding some of the child kits (especially NorDeUK).

I do hope we'll be able to push that kit through because I desperately want to own an ISO-DE version of this fantastic keyset.

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:27:22 »
Monochrome & Hagoromo are very nice

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline g_mr_p

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:27:52 »
Been wanting this for some time.  I'm down, no real complaints about current kits.

Offline dPaK

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:32:33 »
Finally it's here! In in

Offline sJ1N

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:32:50 »
nice

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:34:59 »
I saw someone else suggest separating 40's from assembly. +1 to this.

Or even separating the mods from the assembly kit and the alphas. However that would be worse for ergo users because then they'd need to pick up some alphas elsewhere. MOQ is also harder to hit when separating into too many kits.

Another answer, since this is being run on massdrop, could be to separate all alphas from all mods and offer very large mod kits like Terminal did with the AE mod kit. Hagoromo and both Space Cadet alphas are already standalone. The big mod kits would be Git Mods (TKL, tsangan, etc.), Assembly (ergo, 40s), and Monochrome. Cost might be anywhere from $70-100 I'm guessing, maybe higher. Since it's being run on massdrop it might not be too difficult to hit MOQ on any one kit.

Pretty nutty to consider a GMK set run almost like a Signature Plastics set, but I think if any group buy can do it at this point in popularity it's Oblivion.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:45:56 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:35:21 »
+1 for separating the monochrome mods as an add-on kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline Starston3

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:35:31 »
Plz git modifiers as a separate kit.

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:38:27 »
Wasn't in the community for the first round, will certainly be getting in this time.

Offline DisplayERROR

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:44:01 »
Can't wait!

Offline SolidCactus

[IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:48:44 »
Yes please. I will be grabbing a few of the kits

Offline mimalik

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:59:02 »
Any options for mods only, for those who already participated in SC. While at it, how about crimson cadet alphas as well??

Offline dyka.tran

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:59:29 »
My endgame of keycap  :-*

Offline KrasH

• Instagram Profile
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:01:18 »
Count me in! Happy to see MassDrop involved. Please listen to Zambu's feedback about numpad and ISO :)

Offline LazerCat

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:01:41 »
I'm so glad this is happening!  ^-^

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:02:24 »

Offline nephlock

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:16:31 »
in!

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:20:42 »
Yes

Offline kim-kim

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:27:12 »
I'm counting on assembly and hagoromo cadet kit, please make that cadet kit happen

Offline mnpq.raven

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:28:09 »
HERE WE GO BOIS POGGERS

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:30:09 »
And with regards to separating out mods I would rather get extra base kit at $120-$140 vs. paying $80-$100 just for mods. Endgame set for me so extra alphas for when stuff gets shiny not bad to have.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:39:14 »
Nordic kit YEEES Cadet Nordic YEEES  :eek:

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:44:22 »
And with regards to separating out mods I would rather get extra base kit at $120-$140 vs. paying $80-$100 just for mods. Endgame set for me so extra alphas for when stuff gets shiny not bad to have.

It's just seriously cost inefficient for those of us that need multiple mod kits or already bought Space Cadet or already own GMK Oblivion v1. If mods end up dropping down to $80 and alphas down to $60 or $70 then you could still get your extra alphas on top of a base kit for $140 plus the alphas. The alternative is several potential buyers needing to spend an extra $50-$60+ on alphas they don't need.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:46:58 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:52:21 »
Thank you everyone for the plethora of feedback available already, definitely more than I anticipated.

Could the git modifiers be a separate kit instead of being it's own base kit? Otherwise, if I want to get the monochrome base, git mods, and the hagamoro alphas, I'd have an extra set of alphas just taking up storage space (and money).

I would be interested in seeing the git mods in their own kit. I already have the base kit from the first run and would love to have the git mods to add onto that, but I don't necessarily want a second set of alphas.

I want to focus on having affordable base kits, and as colored mods are the primary colorway of this set, I definitely don't want those to end up costing too much for basic coverage. GMK Oblivion R1 was 135$ per base, I estimate it to be 139$ at 250 units, 119$ at 500 and 109$ at 1000 units for the Git Base Kit. Making the Git mods separate would bring that price up to 200$ or so, turning most buyers away, and thus also putting that kit at risk of failing MOQ. I can't have the most important part of this group buy be subject to such a price and risk.

For sure interested! Will there be a "Git Gud" cap like the SA version?

Unfortunately no, for SA that key was very cheap to add. GMK charges almost 4 times as much for new legends to be made, and I stripped down the base kits to the most essential coverage to ensure a good price. I learned valuable lessons with SA Green Screen (having the mod kits cover everything and thus excluding too many buyers due to price) and seeing how Carbon R2 performed with its monstrous base kit. I want to focus on good pricing on base kits.

Absolutely. Been waiting on this since the Reddit tease months ago. :thumb:

Edit: Can you please make monochrome an add on kit rather than a full separate kit? I'd like to possible buy monochrome mods, but don't want to have to buy two full key sets, lol...

will there be an option for monochrome mods by themselves?

+1 for separating the monochrome mods as an add-on kit.

The problem with making Monochrome Modifiers a separate kit would be the inability (well, possible but way too pricey) to combine them with the Hagoromo Alphas, as you would still need to buy a base kit just for the remaining TKL nav keys, function row and such)

How about a function row with git modifiers available as a novelty kit? I personally wanted those. Anyhow I'm def picking these up.

Most git commands are too long for 1u, if anything the tenkeyless.asm kit from SA Oblivion would make sense, but I don't want to weigh down this buy with more flare, 11 kits is already plenty for a GMK buy. I also removed a VIM kit already, before anyone asks for that. I want to keep things simple and not have people overload their carts with fluff and then be disgusted by the final total. It's going to be enough as it is.

You know I'm in.

I think we've talked about this before, but I want to bring it up again. Should Hagoromo Cadet include spacebars at least? It's kind of a lot to have to buy Base + Hagoromo Alphas + Hagoromo Cadet to be able to use Hagoromo Cadet. Having just the alphas included in Oblivion Cadet makes sense since the Base kit includes Oblivion spacebars and numpad, but Hagoromo Cadet is a little different because of the base kit.

I do remember you mention this, and it seems you already forgot my answer :p - The cadet alphas don't cover the numbers row, function keys or the 8 special character keys to the right of the Latin letters. It would basically double in price to add all that stuff.

I saw someone else suggest separating 40's from assembly. +1 to this.

That kit will have an MOQ of 100, with a price drop of 20$ or so already at 150 units. Having a bigger set with merged buyers makes more sense IMO. Also remember that all the legends already exist now thanks to GMK Space Cadet, so seeing how kono was able to offer that same kit in GMK Calm Depths for 139$ is a good sign to me. I would expect it to be 139$ for 100 and 119$ for 150 units on MD.

Weeb alphas? plez!

hmm weird there must be a mistake i dont see any hiragana alpha options here sir

gib Hiraganas :p

I'm trying to get:

1 x Hagoromo Alphas
1 x Oblivion Alphas
1 x Monochrome Mods
1 x Git Mods
1 x Assembly Mods

2 x spacekeys, 1 x alternate functions. That's a lot of grey alphas I'm going to have to sell.

Yeah, the kits really need to be redistributed. As they are rn, I'd be passing on some kits I'd probably normally get. I think having separate alpha and mod kits would be best like how the SA run was done.

I really wish I could just offer the kits split up into a more modular system like how it is done with SA/DSA buys, but that's unfortunately not how GMK operates. For GMK Oblivion R1 I initially wanted to do the same (regular mods, monochrome mods, gray alphas and white alphas) but buying one mods + one alphas would have cost 160$, while as single base kits we were able to offer it for 135$. There are very few people that want to get all the combinations possible, but most will stick to buying one base and leave it at that, so I don't want to burden the majority with the wishes of the minority.

Something like this was also brought up when I pitched these kits to private groups before, another reason being able to extend round 1 sets. However I must focus on having a smooth round 2 buy, and the best way to do that is ignore that round 1 exists.

Any options for mods only, for those who already participated in SC. While at it, how about crimson cadet alphas as well??

Sorry but I will not butcher the main kits of this buy to accommodate mixing them with another set. And Crimson Alphas are completely out of the question for this buy, the Cadet alphas offered here are a novelty, this is not a extension of that GB. Crimson Cadet will still happen on its own, don't worry!

I will continue to gather everyone's feedback and keep improving upon the kits.

Offline crykn

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:00:45 »
My only request is a similar option to the tenkeyless.asm of SA Oblivion, but you already mentioned you didn't want to have too many kits. I just think it would be nice to have that in a colored legend kit (or not), so that for a 75% or TKL board so the programming theme could be extended across all the mods.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:03:52 »
yes
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:06:14 »
The problem with making Monochrome Modifiers a separate kit would be the inability (well, possible but way too pricey) to combine them with the Hagoromo Alphas, as you would still need to buy a base kit just for the remaining TKL nav keys, function row and such)

Yes, but as the kits are right now, one would have to buy 2 full base kits in order to get monochrome mods and then attempt to sell a set of modless alphas. There's not even currently a set of standalone mods that makes this a viable option. I personally think a $140 mod kit is unreasonable.

Would offering a monochrome mod set in addition to the monochrome base set be a good compromise? Maybe a legacy oblivion mod kit as well for those of us who want it? (although a monochrome mod set would be a higher priority for me personally)
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:09:03 by Ensaum »

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:08:23 »
 Y E S. I am SO in.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:12:15 »
Maybe give the mod colored / and ~ a colored legend as well? If you combine it with the base kit you’d have mods with colored legends except for those 2.

Just a thought :)

Offline dsaf

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:14:32 »
Not for me but looks very good!

Any plans on SA or not enough time passed?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:21:19 »
All in

Offline V. Vega

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:22:18 »
That makes sense.
If the Oblivion base drops to $119 I will certainly pick it up for the git mods, as that's about what I'd pay for mods alone.
Thank you for taking the time to address so many suggestions!

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:30:39 »

Yes, but as the kits are right now, one would have to buy 2 full base kits in order to get monochrome mods and then attempt to sell a set of modless alphas. There's not even currently a set of standalone mods that makes this a viable option. I personally think a $140 mod kit is unreasonable.

Would offering a monochrome mod set in addition to the monochrome base set be a good compromise? Maybe a legacy oblivion mod kit as well for those of us who want it? (although a monochrome mod set would be a higher priority for me personally)

I'm so happy to see this IC finally; this has maybe been my most wanted keyset of the past couple years.  I'll definitely be setting aside money for this.
Initial thoughts:

1) was surprised to see no colored standard mods, but the git mods are already growing on me and will give R2 a unique character
2) I love the accent keys in the Monochrome kit (renders look sick too)
3) I'm also in the camp of wanting
  • oblivion alphas
  • hagomoro alphas
  • git mods
  • monochrome mods

If I'm following you correctly, Oblotzky, you want to offer a full monochrome base (as apposed to a monochrome mod kit) for the crowd that wants to be able to combine Hagomoro alphas  + 1 base kit.  What if you offered Hagomoro alphas + Monochrome mods as the second base kit?   This would disappoint only the people that don't want git/colored mods at all, but everyone who wanted to mix and match would get 2 full sets without having duplicate alphas. 

In the above scenario, I wonder if following Zambumon's ideas about separating the numpad could get the base kits low enough to encourage more people to buy 2 base kits (so, someone like me could buy 1 git base kit + 1 hagomoro/mono base kit + 1 numpad for full coverage).

I'm sure you've considered these things in far greater detail than any of us, but those are my thoughts as someone who would like to buy full coverage of these kits without breaking the bank unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:32:44 by dyrdevil »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:35:36 »
Yes, but as the kits are right now, one would have to buy 2 full base kits in order to get monochrome mods

I don't quite see how that is the case. If you want only Monochrome mods, buy 1 Monochrome base kit. What am I missing?

If I'm following you correctly, Oblotzky, you want to offer a full monochrome base (as apposed to a monochrome mod kit) for the crowd that wants to be able to combine Hagomoro alphas  + 1 base kit.  What if you offered Hagomoro alphas + Monochrome mods as the second base kit?

If Monochrome Mods were without alphas, and Hagoromo Alphas remained as it is, then you'd have to buy the Git Base Kit to be able to have Monochrome Mods with Oblivion Alphas. Unless I were to go the route of having everything separated into kits like the SA buy, there will always be a group of people at a disadvantage.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:39:06 by Oblotzky »

Offline Mekuno

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:36:13 »
I have been waiting for this since I got into keyboards. Definitely in.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:37:29 »
Yes, but as the kits are right now, one would have to buy 2 full base kits in order to get monochrome mods

I don't quite see how that is the case. If you want only Monochrome mods, buy 1 Monochrome base kit. What am I missing?

I want both GIT and Monochrome mods so I can have to option to switch them out. I would also like to have to option to pair the colored accent mods with Oblivion mods.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:42:40 by Ensaum »

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:39:14 »
What if you offered Hagomoro alphas + Monochrome mods as the second base kit?
Wasn't paying attention to this at first, then I stopped for 5 seconds, then I think about it, and lol that was pretty smart. Makes perfect sense.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:46:54 »
Wasn't paying attention to this at first, then I stopped for 5 seconds, then I think about it, and lol that was pretty smart. Makes perfect sense.

Then getting Git mods with Hagoromo Alphas or Monochrome Modifiers with Gray Alphas would mean buying both base kits for a whopping 260$ or so. There are simply no winners  :'(

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:01:35 »

If I'm following you correctly, Oblotzky, you want to offer a full monochrome base (as apposed to a monochrome mod kit) for the crowd that wants to be able to combine Hagomoro alphas  + 1 base kit.  What if you offered Hagomoro alphas + Monochrome mods as the second base kit?

If Monochrome Mods were without alphas, and Hagoromo Alphas remained as it is, then you'd have to buy the Git Base Kit to be able to have Monochrome Mods with Oblivion Alphas. Unless I were to go the route of having everything separated into kits like the SA buy, there will always be a group of people at a disadvantage.
My previous suggestion entails folding the desire for Monochrome compatibility + Hagomoro compatibility together into one group, which admittedly doesn't make sense if there's significant desire for a Monochrome mod + Dark alpha base kit (a desire roughly equivalent to the desire for a Colored/Git mod + Dark alpha base kit).  You'd be the best person to judge that.

In the current situation, I think most people would choose either a Git look or a Mono look.
People who would buy BOTH would be doing so at the expense of duplicate alphas.
If there's not enough demand to support both current base kits, it may be worth considering if a White alpha + Mono base kit would convince more people to double up on base kits.
It's Oblivion, after all, so I'm sure it'll be fine, but I would have said the same thing about the recent Carbon round with it's Bone kit.

Then getting Git mods with Hagoromo Alphas or Monochrome Modifiers with Gray Alphas would mean buying both base kits for a whopping 260$ or so. There are simply no winners  :'(

I'm not sure if this is relevant with the cost of new legends, but I was thinking if numpad could be separated out and base kits could approach $100... it may be more reasonable to get 2 base kits.  Anyway, I'm going to be in regardless of how you do the kits. Just thinking.

Edit :  one more thought for clarity :
I’m not necessarily a person who NEEDs monochrome mods enough to purchase 2 base kits, and I’m not sure if I NEED hagomoro alphas. Both of those things are “extras” in my eyes.
But, I am someone who is interested in both of those things enough to buy them separately, or together in a complete kit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:11:15 by dyrdevil »

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:04:21 »
Oh baby

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:09:55 »
What about running the Git mods as a separate kit for those with R1?

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:13:39 »
Very interested! Love having coloured git mods in the standard base kit -- it'll be a hard choice between that and assembly.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:15:28 »
What about running the Git mods as a separate kit for those with R1?

As mentioned before, I do not want to design the new round as a continuation of the first one, that's just going to mess with pricing way too much. I very much understand that there is a group of people that want to add the new fluff for as cheap as possible to their existing sets, but that's just going to make it too expensive for the new people and ultimately put MOQ's at risk, and cause price hikes.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:17:44 »
I'll take one of each please.  :thumb:

Offline Paddel06

• Klugscheißer
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:23:44 »
I might consider the Monochrome Base Kit, I am just wondering how much Massdrop shipping to EU usually costs?
This is a signature.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:25:44 »
I might consider the Monochrome Base Kit, I am just wondering how much Massdrop shipping to EU usually costs?

Shipping cost was 16.99$ for GMK Space Cadet, regardless of how many kits you bought.

Offline Paddel06

• Klugscheißer
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:27:50 »

Shipping cost was 16.99$ for GMK Space Cadet, regardless of how many kits you bought.
Ah thank you, that is way less than I expected :)
This is a signature.