Author Topic: [GB] ZZ96 v2 r2 (replacements in progress)  (Read 263262 times)

Offline aznreaper

Re: [GB] ZZ96 v2 r2 (happy Chinese New Year's)
« Reply #950 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 00:38:08 »
He gets tracking numbers for all the packages right? Would be nice if he updates the spreadsheet with them if they've been sent out

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #951 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 14:55:38 »
Quote from Reddit just now
They arrived @ the reshipper yesterday (there were more delays - I've been plagued with them recently at every turn) and I'm filling out addresses right now.

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #952 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 15:21:25 »
Quote from Reddit just now
They arrived @ the reshipper yesterday (there were more delays - I've been plagued with them recently at every turn) and I'm filling out addresses right now.
Thanks for the update.

Peculiar that LD provides updates on Reddit but he hasn't updated GH in over a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #953 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 18:32:48 »
LD is more active on Reddit. I am too, so I understand. :)

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #954 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 18:40:22 »
LD is more active on Reddit. I am too, so I understand. :)
I fail to see how your comparison holds water. You didn't put together a group buy that members on this board participated in.

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #955 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 18:44:41 »
Haha, yeah instead of replying to messages one by one on Reddit why not just address everyone on the forum that you used to create and manage the group buy? Wouldn't it be much more effective?

Offline Data

« Reply #956 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 18:57:54 »
These GBs tend to run concurrently across multiple communities.  But I agree that it's the GB organizer's duty to keep each group independently informed and not force them to scour other web sites for information and updates.  It doesn't take much effort to copy & paste the same text across 3 or 4 forums.

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #957 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 00:32:52 »
Well, to be fair his update came via PM when I was asking him, so... But yes, sure. You have a point

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #958 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 00:59:30 »
i just saw him active in slack so i wont worry i guess. cant wait to see the board in person  :rolleyes:
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #959 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:32:49 »
Additional details from Lunaris via PM on Reddit:

"They arrived @ the reshipper's place. I'm filling out addresses and paying for shipping today, and they'll be processed tomorrow w/ tracking available the day after."

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #960 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:37:50 »

"They arrived @ the reshipper's place. I'm filling out addresses and paying for shipping today, and they'll be processed tomorrow w/ tracking available the day after."

Thanks very much for passing this along aaron... Kind of a bummer to be getting information this way instead of directly from LD, but as shipping nears, we are all excited to know our boards are on the way!!  :thumb:

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #961 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:40:48 »

Thanks very much for passing this along aaron... Kind of a bummer to be getting information this way instead of directly from LD, but as shipping nears, we are all excited to know our boards are on the way!!  :thumb:

Sure thing  :thumb:

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #962 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:51:49 »
He also updated the Google sheet as it seems

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #963 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:53:53 »

He's been posting updates to the Google Sheet he uses for tracking.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #964 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:58:22 »

Cool, thanks. I haven't checked that for a while, just get the thread update notifications. It's all good, LD has done A-OK by me in keeping this one on the rails... Just want to know when it's time to salivate every day about mailman time.....  ;)

Offline jjwax

« Reply #965 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 06:34:23 »
Just got my DHL tracking info

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #966 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 07:46:56 »
Received a PM on reddit this morning from him with a Google Doc to verify my current shipping address.

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #967 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 08:25:54 »

Yeah the only problem with the updates on the Google sheet was there wasn't any timestamps so it was kinda hard to keep track of when updates were made.

Glad to see our shipping addresses being confirmed though, hype!

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #968 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 09:41:53 »

Yeah the only problem with the updates on the Google sheet was there wasn't any timestamps so it was kinda hard to keep track of when updates were made.

should we pm him to confirm the address? Also to request the declaration amount?
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #969 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 09:53:02 »

should we pm him to confirm the address? Also to request the declaration amount?

I got an email from LD last night with a link to a fresh survey for address change/ confirmation. Not sure if he's doing those in bunches but keep your eye out for that (check spam?).

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #970 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 09:59:54 »

I got an email from LD last night with a link to a fresh survey for address change/ confirmation. Not sure if he's doing those in bunches but keep your eye out for that (check spam?).
Damn thanks! i dont know why it didnt get notified that i got an email this afternoon. Just filled out the form. Cheers!

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #971 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 01:17:53 »
Posted yesterday in HK, already in my town for delivery :eek:

Let's just hope that customs don't get their greedy fingers on it and it will slip through... Thanks LD for the awesome and quick service!

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #972 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 02:06:49 »

Let's just hope that customs don't get their greedy fingers on it and it will slip through... Thanks LD for the awesome and quick service!
lucky! i want to get this board already  :-[

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #973 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 03:11:39 »

lucky! i want to get this board already  :-[
My prayers have been heard. delivered to my neighbour w/out taxes/customs fee :p :thumb:

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #974 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 07:28:04 »
I checked the spreadsheet yesterday, and it seems my order from v2 is still not shipped. I sent LD a pm a week or two ago but received no replies since. Getting a bit worried :(

Especially seeing as orders for everyone just starting to trickle out :( :( :(
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline jjwax

« Reply #975 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 07:50:26 »

Same here!  DHL just messaged me that it's coming!

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #976 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 08:17:24 »
Ton of tracking numbers posted on the Google sheet, they're coming all right

Offline Slash Emperor

« Reply #977 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 08:56:52 »
Ton of tracking numbers posted on the Google sheet, they're coming all right

Just waiting for my tracking number to pop into the v2 sheet.

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #978 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 09:03:39 »
I have no stabs but some acrylic "side feet things" = what do I do with them? Sorry for the noob question but they fit on the side of the case but they don't have any holes for screws...

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #979 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 10:11:54 »
I have no stabs but some acrylic "side feet things" = what do I do with them? Sorry for the noob question but they fit on the side of the case but they don't have any holes for screws...

They are optional diffusers for the light. You can put them on using some double sided tape
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #980 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 14:37:36 »

They are optional diffusers for the light. You can put them on using some double sided tape
Thanks a lot :)

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #981 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 11:56:52 »
Just got my tracking  :thumb:

Offline Aperture_Sci

• ZZ96 / 65g Zealios / GMK Sky Dolch
« Reply #982 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:06:53 »
Package was sent out for delivery, was about 45 min away from my house, then Customs then stopped the truck, reprimanded the package, and are requesting me to contact them....sigh...all I wanted was my keyboard. :(

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #983 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:10:39 »
Package was sent out for delivery, was about 45 min away from my house, then Customs then stopped the truck, reprimanded the package, and are requesting me to contact them....sigh...all I wanted was my keyboard. :(

Aperture_Sci nearly haveth... the government taketh away!!

Good luck springing it from keyboard jail. :)

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #984 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:16:10 »
Got mine yesterday!  :)  Now what the hell do I do? Lol Any suggestions or guide on how to finish this thing up? Like what resistors/capacitors etc? Apologies if this is obvious and I'm just a noob!

Offline Aperture_Sci

• ZZ96 / 65g Zealios / GMK Sky Dolch
« Reply #985 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:00:50 »
Just contacted Customs as DHL called me and told me to do so, they stated that it would be held for 1 of 2 reasons:

1.)  Tariff or Duty Issues - confirming all duty's are paid
2.)  Trademark issues

I assume this is all custom made and nothing should be wrong with trademarks....sooo.....hopefully all duty was paid previously.

They stated it can take up to 30 days and they are under no obligation to inform me either way it goes....what the ****...why me

Offline jjwax

« Reply #986 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:32:22 »
Got mine yesterday!  :)  Now what the hell do I do? Lol Any suggestions or guide on how to finish this thing up? Like what resistors/capacitors etc? Apologies if this is obvious and I'm just a noob!

Have you soldered anything before?  to make it functional, all you should have to do is solder your switches on and (possibly) flash it with bootmapper client

Offline Slash Emperor

« Reply #987 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:34:45 »
Got my shipping notification today. I'm out of the office next week, so I'll get to see whether or not it'll beat me to there.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #988 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:59:29 »

Have you soldered anything before?  to make it functional, all you should have to do is solder your switches on and (possibly) flash it with bootmapper client

This Whitefox build guide is a pretty good place to start... Talks about all the essentials you'll be tackling and has some ok video examples.

http://matt3o.com/how-to-build-your-whitefox/

Things to watch for: check your desired layout and place your stabs before you start soldering!! The PCB will support a variety of key layouts, so think about how you want it to behave (ie: want an arrow cluster? 6.25 or 7u space bar? etc...). Also, make sure you have a keyset for your desired layout- if you want arrows, you'll need a short right shift. Most keysets support that, it's standard-ish, but an off-the-shelf 104 key set will not have that bad boy in there. You'll probably have to flash your layout as well and at a glance, I'm not sure what this PCB is- winkeyless? Think so since jjwax mentioned bootmapper client. Oh, and lube for your stabs (for sure) and switches (recommended)...  whole 'nother ball of grease there. Plenty of good lube guides and videos out there.

I haven't built mine yet, it's just cleared customs in LA and presumably headed for AZ (unless I get Aperture'd... sorry man), so can't help with all the specifics of the ZZ96 build yet. But I've built an RS96 and happy to help - if you have questions, PM me. Good luck! Awesome board for your first build!! :)

Also, as jjwax mentioned, if you've not soldered before, I'd recommend buying a couple of the $10 soldering kits from Amazon to practice on. Better to blow up a lead and practice soldering/ desoldering on an $8 AM radio rather than the PCB you need for your sexy new $300 keyboard!

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #989 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 14:20:15 »

This Whitefox build guide is a pretty good place to start... Talks about all the essentials you'll be tackling and has some ok video examples.

Things to watch for: check your desired layout and place your stabs before you start soldering!! The PCB will support a variety of key layouts, so think about how you want it to behave (ie: want an arrow cluster? 6.25 or 7u space bar? etc...). Also, make sure you have a keyset for your desired layout- if you want arrows, you'll need a short right shift. Most keysets support that, it's standard-ish, but an off-the-shelf 104 key set will not have that bad boy in there. You'll probably have to flash your layout as well and at a glance, I'm not sure what this PCB is- winkeyless? Think so since jjwax mentioned bootmapper client. Oh, and lube for your stabs (for sure) and switches (recommended)...  whole 'nother ball of grease there. Plenty of good lube guides and videos out there.

I haven't built mine yet, it's just cleared customs in LA and presumably headed for AZ (unless I get Aperture'd... sorry man), so can't help with all the specifics of the ZZ96 build yet. But I've built an RS96 and happy to help - if you have questions, PM me. Good luck! Awesome board for your first build!! :)

Also, as jjwax mentioned, if you've not soldered before, I'd recommend buying a couple of the $10 soldering kits from Amazon to practice on. Better to blow up a lead and practice soldering/ desoldering on an $8 AM radio rather than the PCB you need for your sexy new $300 keyboard!

Awesome thanks for the info! I used to solder the chip mods in the old Xbox so I should be able to handle it, but definitely practicing is in order so I don't blow up this sweet keyboard. I took the PCB out of the case and flipped it over to find all the little bits and chips are all soldered in (which I think I saw mentioned previously but was freaking out I guess thinking I'd have to do that myself). So you're right, looks like all I need to do is figure out what switches I want, layout + keycaps, and then solder it up.

Question: What switches are you guys going for? Are you going to get RGB switches or is that not required since we have LED's on the board?

Here's some pics (I got one of the leftover color combos. Not my favorite but this being my end game board, I wanted it no matter what!):

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #990 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 16:14:58 »

Question: What switches are you guys going for? Are you going to get RGB switches or is that not required since we have LED's on the board?

Switches are not RGB, the LED's you install give you lighting options on top of the PCB. Underneath are pre-soldered SMD LED that provide the RGB glow you see in the diffuser around the case. You won't be able to solder RGB LED's onto the top side of the PCB (at least not easily), so you'll just have to pick a color. I'd recommend getting long legged sip-sockets to solder rather than soldering the LED directly to the PCB, little more effort to put the sip sockets into the switch but allows for swapping LED's on a whim.

As for switches... that is for you to decide  :thumb: good luck!

Different keyboard but an example: http://imgur.com/a/oXWlq

The SMD LED's on the bottom side are set to Cyan (seen in the diffuser) while the purple light on top is via UV LED's I installed on the top through the switches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 February 2017, 16:17:30 by Mr_BeastQuake »

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #991 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 22:07:12 »

Switches are not RGB,

Ah yeah sorry, I meant RGB LED's. Will this board only support single color LED instead of an RGB LED on each switch? I'd rather not solder additional RGB SMD LED's to the top of the PCB so if not, I'm cool with the single color.

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #992 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 22:14:19 »
RGB LED's are four prong like the ones you see from ZealPC, these PCB's are not designed for the four pin and only have the two so you can only do single colour LED's

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #993 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 22:38:21 »
Why is my tracking dpe? How can i track that?

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #994 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 22:41:56 »
Why is my tracking dpe? How can i track that?
Ok my bad. I should have googles it first. Found it already  :-[

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #995 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 22:43:03 »

Ah yeah sorry, I meant RGB LED's. Will this board only support single color LED instead of an RGB LED on each switch? I'd rather not solder additional RGB SMD LED's to the top of the PCB so if not, I'm cool with the single color.

You'll need to be soldering single color LED's, I seem to recall some jury rig for the RGB LED thing (not positive, no links to provide) but it's not worth the effort. Soldering in sip sockets is just as easy (aside from the effort to put them into the switches) and LED's are cheap so if you wanted to change colors it wouldn't be difficult.

Offline jjwax

« Reply #996 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 12:35:53 »

Awesome thanks for the info! I used to solder the chip mods in the old Xbox so I should be able to handle it, but definitely practicing is in order so I don't blow up this sweet keyboard. I took the PCB out of the case and flipped it over to find all the little bits and chips are all soldered in (which I think I saw mentioned previously but was freaking out I guess thinking I'd have to do that myself). So you're right, looks like all I need to do is figure out what switches I want, layout + keycaps, and then solder it up.

Here's some pics (I got one of the leftover color combos. Not my favorite but this being my end game board, I wanted it no matter what!):

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

You'll also need some stabilizers for the bigger keys if you didn't buy them from LD, too

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #997 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 13:47:11 »
You'll also need some stabilizers for the bigger keys if you didn't buy them from LD, too

I'm glad you brought that up. :-) I bought the ones from LD but I'm a little confused. In build log pics I've found from Reddit, I see the stab wires are mounted under the plate. Does that mean the wires don't connect to the keys but just the ends of the stabs? Seems like a strange way to do it but I don't know jack so thought I would ask you fine folks here.

Looking here specifically: https://imgur.com/a/ucMIv#hBt7WPo

Offline Jeu

« Reply #998 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 14:32:42 »

I'm glad you brought that up. :-) I bought the ones from LD but I'm a little confused. In build log pics I've found from Reddit, I see the stab wires are mounted under the plate. Does that mean the wires don't connect to the keys but just the ends of the stabs? Seems like a strange way to do it but I don't know jack so thought I would ask you fine folks here.

Looking here specifically: https://imgur.com/a/ucMIv#hBt7WPo

Correct, the stab wire just keeps the 2 stab inserts moving in tandem to actually stabilize the ends of the longer keys! So it doesn't matter if its below the plate and it likely gives the wire less room to jiggle and potentially pop out of the stabs.

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #999 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 17:38:03 »
Correct, the stab wire just keeps the 2 stab inserts moving in tandem to actually stabilize the ends of the longer keys! So it doesn't matter if its below the plate and it likely gives the wire less room to jiggle and potentially pop out of the stabs.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the help all!