Author Topic: Alps switch question - pink / salmon / orange  (Read 2836 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Alps switch question - pink / salmon / orange
« on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 11:47:15 »
Always something else.

I have had several Apple Extended Keyboards, M0115, most with orange switches but some with salmon. My first oranges I mistook for salmon, since the colors can be close (depending on whether the fish was wild-caught or farm-raised of course) but generally there is a distinct difference.

Yesterday I opened up my first M0116 and found switches that are pink. I would call these "pale pink" and not "salmon" at all, although I do not currently own any AEKs with salmons to compare.

Is this just a dye lot variation? I have never found much to differentiate between this family of colors except that some tend to be earlier or later production dates.

Are these really "pink Alps" or simply red herrings?

Thanks, Daniel, you are probably the one who knows best.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Alps switch question - pink / salmon / orange
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 11:55:35 »
The M0116 I had with Salmon/Pink Alps were VERY pale pink. A little paler than the pictures in the DT wiki. I believe those names are just used interchangeably and that there's variations in dyes like you suggest.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:41:19 »
The M0116 I had with Salmon/Pink Alps were VERY pale pink. A little paler than the pictures in the DT wiki. I believe those names are just used interchangeably and that there's variations in dyes like you suggest.

Yes, it is the one that I bought from you. I have seen a lot of variation in blue Alps from what I would call "pale blue" all the way to "rich blue", including on the same board, but this pink is even more washed-out looking.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:48:19 »
I've also seen that color variation in other Alps switches. I think it might also be how the dyes age in the Alps switch.

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 00:25:18 »
I agree with cptbadass, i have greens with different shades of color and some of them are extra pale. I think it's all cause of age discoloration.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 03:18:13 »
Or they just weren't super picky on the shade of color because noone is to see it during use.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)