Author Topic: HHKBP2 Type S  (Read 5715 times)

Offline nilogram

• Topre Lover
HHKBP2 Type S
« on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 15:45:58 »
Has anyone noticed how much smoother the typing feels in comparison to the non silenced version?  I don't think I can use the original anymore, its not even the sound dampening that is nice it just feels smoother overall.  Anyone have experience with both boards and came out with this conclusion?

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: HHKBP2 Type S
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 15:57:47 »
I'd like to know, too.

I couldn't imagine it having that much of an effect.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 15:59:18 »
From my understanding, the only difference between the type-s and non type-s variant is foam in the sliders to dampen the sound of the upstroke of each key.  There's a popular dental band mod that's very easy to do that can really help dampen the typing sound, but will slightly alter the travel of the bottom row of keys. If you want a "smoother" typing experience, I would highly recommend picking up a thick lube kit once mechanicalkeyboards.com gets more in stock and try lubing the sliders.  That should definitely help eliminate any friction you might be feeling while typing.

Here's the guide should you be interested in trying it: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34972.0
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 16:15:59 »
Type-S feels grittier compared to the non-silenced HHKB. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 06:39:17 »
Has anyone noticed how much smoother the typing feels in comparison to the non silenced version?  I don't think I can use the original anymore, its not even the sound dampening that is nice it just feels smoother overall.  Anyone have experience with both boards and came out with this conclusion?

Damn, first I bought a Filco MJT2 TKL knowingly that I would want to buy a HHKB Pro 2.. One week ago I received my HHKB Pro 2, knowingly that I already wanted to upgrade to the Type S. You only make me want the Type S more!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 10:58:08 »
Dental banding both my Topres as soon as possible.

Offline avtar

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 12:28:39 »

I had a black HHKB Pro 2 and the keycaps it shipped with felt gritty at times. I ordered the white/grey keycaps from EK and they felt smoother. The Type-S that I'm using now feels the smoothest.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 12:33:00 »

Type-S does not feel grittier at all (maybe you just need to re-lube), in fact, I would say it's smoother (and better stabilized) than my Pro 2.

Dental bands suck, they reduce the travel way too much. I used them for quite a long time to try and get used to 'em and much prefer the Type-S.

blah blah blah subjective.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 May 2014, 12:34:39 by jwaz »

Offline Rafen

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 21:23:30 »

Is there a  reference on how to do this?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sniping

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 22:45:57 »

Just go with the real thing. The dental bands make the switches feel less like Topre, less tactile because of the reduced space for key travel.

Offline Rafen

Offline cphead

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 17:54:19 »
I got both and I actually like my normal topre with dental bands more than the silenced version. If you get the 1/8" dental bands they're super slim when stretched out, almost the same as the foam dampeners on the Type S. Also my Type S had that whistling sound problem so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 18:51:49 »
I got both and I actually like my normal topre with dental bands more than the silenced version. If you get the 1/8" dental bands they're super slim when stretched out, almost the same as the foam dampeners on the Type S. Also my Type S had that whistling sound problem so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Never heard of it... what is that... the "whistling sound"?

Offline cphead

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 18:58:34 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55333.0

That thread goes into some detail. By switching domes and sliders and stuff I narrowed it down to the sliders. I think it's just a side effect of the way the Type S sliders are designed. That being said, it seems a lot of people don't get the whistling sound, so who knows  :p

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 19:00:35 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55333.0

That thread goes into some detail. By switching domes and sliders and stuff I narrowed it down to the sliders. I think it's just a side effect of the way the Type S sliders are designed. That being said, it seems a lot of people don't get the whistling sound, so who knows  :p

Thanks! Just got the HHKB Pro 2 (two weeks in now) and already thinking about buying the Type S, so this is quite useful for me.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 21:42:16 »

I'm pretty sure this is just friction from the sliders. For some reason I felt like there was more friction on the sliders of my Type-S than my Leopold.

Offline mrsone

• Recovering Rubber Dome User
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 01:10:33 »
Thanks for this post! I was thinking about getting the silenced HHKB for myself, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the extra price. I already have two HHKBs, and I am thinking about getting rid of both and getting the type S. I have used dampened keyboards before, with pads and o-rings, and I do not like them (the ones that I tried) because they reduced the travel of the keys. Does the dampening on the type S seem to reduce the travel any? I am still juggling the idea of buying because having a smoother feel overall is very appealing to me, but I do not want to have any weird swooshing or squeaking on my keyboard.

Decisions, decisions....
Keyboards currently in my possession:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Other Keyboards I have tried:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline nilogram

• Topre Lover
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 21:54:39 »

Thanks for this post! I was thinking about getting the silenced HHKB for myself, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the extra price. I already have two HHKBs, and I am thinking about getting rid of both and getting the type S. I have used dampened keyboards before, with pads and o-rings, and I do not like them (the ones that I tried) because they reduced the travel of the keys. Does the dampening on the type S seem to reduce the travel any? I am still juggling the idea of buying because having a smoother feel overall is very appealing to me, but I do not want to have any weird swooshing or squeaking on my keyboard.

Decisions, decisions....

I would sell one board and try the type s and if you love it then sell the other.  I don't notice any swooshing or squeaking just an overall smoother experience,  haven't tried the dental bands so I have no way to compare

Offline mrsone

• Recovering Rubber Dome User
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 11:16:13 »

Decisions, decisions....

I would sell one board and try the type s and if you love it then sell the other.  I don't notice any swooshing or squeaking just an overall smoother experience,  haven't tried the dental bands so I have no way to compare

You are wise! That is exactly what I did, and I am NOT disappointed. I sprung for the Leopold 660C with the topre switches (cause I need arrow keys sometimes), and also the HHKB Type-S. I am thoroughly pleased with both of them. I will be getting rid of the other HHKBs as the typing really is much smoother with the type S. Like the OP mentioned, it is almost linear, and there is not much of a noticeable reduction in the key travel. Also, it is WAY quieter than the original HHKB. I am surprised at how much the difference is. I viewed videos on YouTube comparing the two and the sound difference did not seem to be that great, but in real life, it is the quietest of my keyboards, even quieter than the supposed Mini Quiet Pro from Mattias.

Also, I am happy to report that my keyboard has no swooshing or squeaking of any kind! It is smooth like butter. If you are experiencing this issue it cannot hurt to try to get a warranty repair if your keyboard is still in warranty. I am glad I made the jump! Also, I noticed that for the non-silent type topre keyboards, I like the plating on the Leopold 660C better than the PCB mount on the HHKB, as it quiets the "thock" just enough to make it pleasant.

Keyboards currently in my possession:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Other Keyboards I have tried:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline nilogram

• Topre Lover
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 15:10:22 »

Decisions, decisions....

You are wise! That is exactly what I did, and I am NOT disappointed. I sprung for the Leopold 660C with the topre switches (cause I need arrow keys sometimes), and also the HHKB Type-S. I am thoroughly pleased with both of them. I will be getting rid of the other HHKBs as the typing really is much smoother with the type S. Like the OP mentioned, it is almost linear, and there is not much of a noticeable reduction in the key travel. Also, it is WAY quieter than the original HHKB. I am surprised at how much the difference is. I viewed videos on YouTube comparing the two and the sound difference did not seem to be that great, but in real life, it is the quietest of my keyboards, even quieter than the supposed Mini Quiet Pro from Mattias.

Also, I am happy to report that my keyboard has no swooshing or squeaking of any kind! It is smooth like butter. If you are experiencing this issue it cannot hurt to try to get a warranty repair if your keyboard is still in warranty. I am glad I made the jump! Also, I noticed that for the non-silent type topre keyboards, I like the plating on the Leopold 660C better than the PCB mount on the HHKB, as it quiets the "thock" just enough to make it pleasant.

I am happy to hear it worked out for you, I actually have that same leopold and love it as well, I do find my normal HHKBP2 loud but its my only black one.  I wish they made the type S in Black, or if I wasn't too chicken **** to go and mod the case myself.   

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 19:10:08 »

Just go with the real thing. The dental bands make the switches feel less like Topre, less tactile because of the reduced space for key travel.

I didn't want to believe it, but you're right. The problem is I can't stand the HHKB layout. It hurts my hands. So my only option really is to get like, two silenced realforces and cannibalize the sliders for my 55g RF and 660C. Unfortunately, won't have the scrilla for that in quite a while.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 07:19:43 »

Decisions, decisions....

Money, money... if you ask me :P What's holding me back, is the price, the shipping, and the import tax  :eek:

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 07:28:55 »

Decisions, decisions....

Money, money... if you ask me :P What's holding me back, is the price, the shipping, and the import tax  :eek:

After overpaying an insane amount because of import taxes I've decided that I will never buy a keyboard from a retail store ever again, unless it's my only option. It's much better to buy keyboard stuff second hand and get it marked as a personal gift, that way you can regulate the value so you don't have to pay VAT. Or you could simply use a proxy and still buy from retail stores, but that'd be a little extra in shipping costs and what not, but still better than buying straight from a store.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 04:24:09 »

Decisions, decisions....

After overpaying an insane amount because of import taxes I've decided that I will never buy a keyboard from a retail store ever again, unless it's my only option. It's much better to buy keyboard stuff second hand and get it marked as a personal gift, that way you can regulate the value so you don't have to pay VAT. Or you could simply use a proxy and still buy from retail stores, but that'd be a little extra in shipping costs and what not, but still better than buying straight from a store.

That's genius. Those taxes and shipping costs feel like wasted money.