Author Topic: Matias/Alps keyboard repair  (Read 65748 times)

Offline macdude22

Matias/Alps keyboard repair
« on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 15:56:01 »
Are there any shops/folks that do Matias/Alps repair. I have a Matias Laptop pro that the R key has started doing double sometimes triple Rs triggering an r on the downstroke and upstroke. I emailed Matias but at 1.5 years old it's out of warranty. They offered a generous discount on a new board, they don't have facilities to do contract repair is what the rep told me. It's not about the money. I'd just hate to throw this thing in the trash when a lone key is having an issue that someone who is handier with a soldering iron than me could easily fix.

Thanks,

-alex-

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
Re: Matias/Alps keyboard repair
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 16:16:08 »
You might try: http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/ .

Desoldering a switch isn't bad. I would just replace it.

Though, you can do a top side repair. Pull the R key, open up the switch, and clean the contacts with contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol. That might help.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 23:43:21 »
Sometimes unbending it works.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline macdude22

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 08:21:25 »
I will look into northgate. I pulled the keycap off and cleaned around best I could, but alas it still types like a drunken spaniard.

Thanks for the help.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 18:03:06 »
You can always buy a new one and send this one to me. I'll fix it and put it to good use.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 15:04:39 »
I recently fixed a single broken switch on my QuietPro, ha ing never soldered in anger before. You don't need a fancy soldering iron to do a single switch. A cheapie and something to practice on is all you need.

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 12:51:05 »
I had a Matias switch that repeated and simply opening the switch and cleaning the switch contacts solved the problem. They're very easy to open: just pop off the keycap and use two small flat screwdrivers (or maybe even your fingernails) to push away the tabs that hold the top on.
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline macdude22

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 08:10:25 »
I had a Matias switch that repeated and simply opening the switch and cleaning the switch contacts solved the problem. They're very easy to open: just pop off the keycap and use two small flat screwdrivers (or maybe even your fingernails) to push away the tabs that hold the top on.

I will try this, I popped off the keycap and blew around some canned air in there but I will dig in a little deeper.

Thanks all,

-alex-