Author Topic: IBM Model M (Custom dye, USB Conversion, and Bolt mod)  (Read 26135 times)

Offline turbocharged

IBM Model M (Custom dye, USB Conversion, and Bolt mod)
« on: Sun, 13 February 2011, 17:33:44 »
Figured I would start a mod thread for my IBM Model M. I don't really ever use it, but I figured this would be fun and maybe someone will want to buy it when I'm done and have a sweet custom keyboard.

Here it was after I cleaned it up inside and out. Notice the three ALT keys.

I dyed the main key caps yellow (Rit dye - Golden Yellow). This is from a single 20 minute soak at about 75C-80C with salt in the pot. My brewing thermometer is crucial to keep the temperatures in check....too hot and warped key caps...too cold and the dye doesn't really work.

And here it is after dying the modifier keys black (mostly because I wanted to get rid of having 3 ALT keys).  Black took much longer to dye (two 20 minute soaks between 70C and 80C).

UPDATE: Mods continue

Today I finished painting the case (dyeing really because it is the Duplicolor Fabric/Vinyl Paint) and started the bolt mod. I ordered the hardware for the bolt mod this afternoon from McMaster and went ahead and drilled all the holes (no pictures of that though).

Below I posted pictures of the keyboard all taken apart and the top/bottom the finished case. I masked off only a few things: on the top...just the led view holes...on the bottom I masked off some of the label so that it can still be identified as a 1391401 IBM Model M.

Note: Regular, clear packaging tape works great for masking before using the vinyl/fabric paint because it does not stick to it. It also does not stick to some rubbers, which is why the two rubber pads on the bottom are not dyed.

UPDATE: Bolt Mod and Dyeing Finished (Last update will be USB mod)

So I finished the bolt mod and assembly last night....what a tiring exercise of repetition...but it turned out well. I followed ripster's guide and I must say, he nailed it with this one. I even double check to make sure there was no good way around buying the M2 x 8mm x 0.4mm bolts, but that seemed to be the best....so thanks Ripster. Anyways pictures...

All the bolts/nuts/washers/tap

Bolt mod complete

And here is the finished dyed product (that still doesn't work because it needs the USB mod). There has been a lot of debate whether Rit's golden yellow can be actual yellow or if it is orange....well I found that it depends on lighting. It definitely has an orange tinge under low, incandescent lighting and clearly yellow under florescent lighting. Judge for your self...both pictures are without flash.

And a final picture comparing before and after

« Last Edit: Tue, 22 February 2011, 06:50:41 by turbocharged »
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")
| IBM Model M 1391401 (BS) | Goldtouch GTC-0033 Keypad (MX Browns) |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 15:28:48 »
Small update of beginning the bolt mod and finishing dyeing of the case...
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 15:48:19 »
Did you have to sand/primer the keyboard casing first before painting/dyeing it?  It's looking good.  This is what I wanted to do if I could ever get my hands on a Space Saver for cheap...

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 17:52:46 »
Nice job. The dye job in black looks really good.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 07:23:10 »
The case came out awesome.  Great job.  On the keys you dyed black, can you still see the printing, or did you dye them black enough that they appear blank?

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 08:05:37 »
Quote from: itlnstln;297158
The case came out awesome.  Great job.  On the keys you dyed black, can you still see the printing, or did you dye them black enough that they appear blank?

Thanks, and no not really. I originally was trying to make them near black w/ ghost like printing and while you could still see the printing while they were wet in the dye bath, after they cooled and dried they were pretty much blank. The only one that you can still read (and only when the lighting is absolutely perfect) is the Backspace key. I'm contemplating dyeing them again to make them "true" blanks, but it is so close now and the color looks so good, that I probably won't.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 February 2011, 08:09:22 by turbocharged »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 16:57:10 »
Those orange  key caps look  neat.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 19:47:52 »
lol mw
I <3 BS

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 20:21:41 »
I really like it! :D

You wouldn't mind if I did the same thing to mine but a little different would you?

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 20:48:16 »
Quote from: Lethal Squirrel;297549
I really like it! :D

You wouldn't mind if I did the same thing to mine but a little different would you?

Go for it man.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline theferenc

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 23:55:23 »
I actually already do have something similar to this. My black Customizer is red and purple (same split), and I have a Model M that is yellow and blue, also same split.

I've been thinking about an orange and green one, just for a nice offensively bright keyboard.

Edit: just to be clear, yours looks mad good. I've always like the contrasting colors on keyboards. Especially nice bright ones.

Hopefully my comment wasn't offensive...too much wine to realize I left out half of what I wanted to say.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 February 2011, 23:58:19 by theferenc »
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 09:40:27 »
I liked the orange and gray with the beige. They all just went  well together.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 10:13:11 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;297708
I liked the orange and gray with the beige. They all just went  well together.

+1
/// Current
Leopold 87 White MX | Filco 104 Brown | BlackWidow | WhiteWidow  |  TG3 Deck | 2x NIB  Dell AT101W | NIB  Dell QuietKey | IBM 3278 | Logitech NetPlay | Logitech G15 v2 | Saitek Eclipse v1 | Apple A1314 | Logitech K700
/// Past
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 86UB

Offline kill will

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 13:28:22 »
orange
I <3 BS

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 13:58:04 »
Its actually yellow...not sure why people think it is orange??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 14:23:59 »
Quote from: turbocharged;297824
Its actually yellow...not sure why people think it is orange??

Those MW CRT are bad calibrated for sure plus being on a dark basement like the one he has must be the reason :D

Offline theferenc

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 14:55:07 »
Actually, I do have a color calibrated monitor (gotta love stryker), and to me it looks golden. In other words, a slightly orangish yellow. Definitely more orange than my yellow keys, but I used the Lemon Yellow dye, rather than the Golden Yellow.

But yes, lack of calibration, a high preponderance of color blindness among males, it having a small amount of orange in it...all of these might be reasons that some see it as orange, rather than yellow.

Regardless of what color you want to call it, I call it "awesome".
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:25:46 »
Golden yellow is still yellow. Here is another picture from my phone (absolutely horrendous quality, so didn't want it in the main post)....but it is most definitely yellow.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 19:09:32 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 19:17:02 »
There's  nothing wrong with  my monitors. Those keys  appeared orange on every  monitor I  got (except for the  Mac because  it's monochrome).

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 19:19:05 »
I think more GeekHackers need to get their eyes checked. Thank goodness I have glasses.

Wiz Khalifa has so many diamonds in his watch he can't tell what the time is.

Offline kill will

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 20:01:06 »
thats a cool orange and black keyboard

it matches gh dark theme
I <3 BS

Offline theferenc

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 20:49:31 »
Definitely yellow. But still a bit more orangey than the yellow on that smiley key or the lemon yellow that I used on my keys. But an orangey yellow is definitely not orange, but rather yellow with a slight shift towards red on the color wheel.

But still yellow.

Maybe it's just moving away from us too quickly?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 23:00:40 »
Eye Test:

1. Do you think it's yellow? - You're OK.

2. Do you think it's orange? - You need glasses.

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 23:05:59 »
Quote from: theferenc;298044
Definitely yellow. But still a bit more orangey than the yellow on that smiley key or the lemon yellow that I used on my keys. But an orangey yellow is definitely not orange, but rather yellow with a slight shift towards red on the color wheel.

But still yellow.

I think you nailed it...not pure yellow, but much closer to yellow than orange.

You should post pictures of your Lemon Yellow board. I have only seen one other set of keys done in Lemon Yellow and the yellow looked really washed out (the reason I went with Golden Yellow), but it was probably due to a poor dye job.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 20 February 2011, 01:38:28 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;298084
Eye Test:

1. Do you think it's yellow? - You're OK.

2. Do you think it's orange? - You need glasses.

I see them Yellow!

But still need glasses...I will have them made by tuesday :D

I should make a pic from my Realforce 91 UBY to show another yellow on this thread!

Offline theferenc

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 20 February 2011, 13:10:18 »
Both of these are a bit older, but you get the idea, probably.

Edit: You know, I'm actually starting to think maybe it's a lighting issue. Your indoor shots definitely have a slight orange tint to them, while your outside shot is definitely more vivid yellow.

Both of those were taken with a webcam in front of a window with sunlight coming on, and all my light bulbs are full spectrum.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 February 2011, 13:12:44 by theferenc »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 20 February 2011, 15:22:40 »
Quote from: theferenc;298339
Both of these are a bit older, but you get the idea, probably.

Show Image

Show Image

Edit: You know, I'm actually starting to think maybe it's a lighting issue. Your indoor shots definitely have a slight orange tint to them, while your outside shot is definitely more vivid yellow.

Both of those were taken with a webcam in front of a window with sunlight coming on, and all my light bulbs are full spectrum.

Now  those are  yellow keys.

Offline daniel0731ex

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 20 February 2011, 20:07:29 »
Nice Wooden-Themed brown and orange keyboard ;)
"I hated the Blackwidow. Hated, hated, hated, hated, hated the Blackwidow. Hated it. Hated every cheapening feeble useless user-insulting gimmicks of it. Hated the keycap font that thought anyone would like it. Hated the marketing pretense to the keyboard by its belief that anyone would be impressed by it."

Roger Exbert - The Number One Keyboard Critic On The Planet.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 February 2011, 12:00:17 »
kidchunks is giving away a free case if you wanted to have 2 variations of the case.  Might make for a better sale when you're done with it.

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 February 2011, 20:10:45 »
Quote from: ripster;298340
Damn CRTs.

Only one place they belong.
Show Image

Them some nice orange umbrellas
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 21 February 2011, 21:53:49 »
Glasses for colorblindness?

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Pylon

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 21 February 2011, 22:00:36 »
Calibrate your screen?

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 06:53:49 »
Ok updated the original post with the bolt mod and the finished dye pictures.

I noted that the color is quite subjective to incandescent low lighting vs. florescent lighting (day light is similar). Here is a quick comparison picture...

And a comparison picture of the before and after for good measure

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 19:30:30 »
Also, I decided that I'm going to give the usb adapter implant conversion a go first and if I want a more serious mod in the future I will be building a new controller. Figure it is a much cheaper and more simple route albeit less clean and professional.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 11:17:51 »
Finally ordered the Blue Cube PS2->USB adapter so that I can get this thing working. It's just been sitting non-operational for the past year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 10:29:28 »
Looks familiar :P

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 37957[/ATTACH]

This was my initial model M waay back when I joined GH, I didnt even have the 1985 model M back then
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2012, 10:32:40 by KillerBee »
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985