Author Topic: [GB] MARS 8.0 (sorting and shipping)  (Read 68807 times)

Offline geewizwow

Re: [GB] MARS 8.0 (sorting and shipping)
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 03:09:30 »
Taking shape

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #251 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 06:34:33 »
Those "easy-out" things are hard as frig to use, especially on small screws and bolts.

Is it COMPLETELY rounded? 
Sometimes I find that you can fit a Torx driver of a slightly larger size into stripped hex bolts and it'll grip like mad, especially if you force it down into the root of the socket.

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #252 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 06:36:49 »
Those "easy-out" things are hard as frig to use, especially on small screws and bolts.

Is it COMPLETELY rounded? 
Sometimes I find that you can fit a Torx driver of a slightly larger size into stripped hex bolts and it'll grip like mad, especially if you force it down into the root of the socket.
Yeah it's kinda completely rounded.I'll probably resort to drilling the screw and hammering a torx head in or something.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #253 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 06:41:37 »
See if you can find a left handed drill bit of the appropriate size. Sometimes when you're trying to drill the head off, it'll just magically back the screw out for you!

Also, another option is to get a bit that's slightly bigger than the threads of the screw, and drill the head off, so you're left with just a "stud" with threads left. Then lift the back case off, and grip the stem with pliers, and twist them out that way!

If you don't feel comfortable fixing it, I know it'd be expensive, but I do a lot of really small, delicate work, and I have a really nice drill press. I could do it for you. (Wrap that sucker in high-density foam and lots of tape to protect that beautiful finish, whatever you do!)
Maybe you're nearby, who knows.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 06:45:35 by vewy_nice »

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #254 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 07:16:02 »
See if you can find a left handed drill bit of the appropriate size. Sometimes when you're trying to drill the head off, it'll just magically back the screw out for you!

Also, another option is to get a bit that's slightly bigger than the threads of the screw, and drill the head off, so you're left with just a "stud" with threads left. Then lift the back case off, and grip the stem with pliers, and twist them out that way!

If you don't feel comfortable fixing it, I know it'd be expensive, but I do a lot of really small, delicate work, and I have a really nice drill press. I could do it for you. (Wrap that sucker in high-density foam and lots of tape to protect that beautiful finish, whatever you do!)
Maybe you're nearby, who knows.
Hm i haven't seen the second method used but it sounds like it'd get the job done.So i basically just drill the top of the screw off? Won't that risk damaging the inner thread though?

Offline hachi8free

« Reply #255 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 08:21:34 »
4 buyers who bought 86 keys layout will get new PCBs: sykim0310, Vewy_nice, hachi8free, tlautrec

Adding more solders on the 4 pins of the LED should fix 90% LED issues. Let me know if the LED doesn't work anyway.

The PCB supplier is the guy who provided PCBs for most Chinese custom keyboards. I didn't expect he would make such mistakes.

@Sylvester Thanks! I haven't checked with Bootmapper, but when I connecting PCB to the computer, all LEDs glowed white.
I broke diffuser when I tried to remove it... I want you to send it with new pcb if there is any extra.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 08:27:04 by hachi8free »

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #256 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 00:00:03 »
emailed you about some pcb issues. @sylvester
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline Water lee

« Reply #257 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 11:39:23 »
Nice board.I just missed it
make it better!

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #258 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 18:52:42 »
I finished building for Jeffboird: Mars 8.0 with GMK Blue on Black, 65g Zealios and holtites. Some of the holtites were a perfect fit, but at least 20 switches needed them to be soldered in place.

Minor dings on the plate, like others, and a few on the case. One LED has a bad blue (the one on the bottom row near z/x/v) but otherwise a very solid group buy and board. :D
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline geewizwow

« Reply #259 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 03:38:46 »
A very good looking board. Congrats to you and jeffboird!

A word of warning before anyone makes the same mistake as me, 2x3x4 leds in the south position will make contact with gmk caps. I’ve ordered some 1.8mm leds and I’ll let you know if those work.

Another thing to point out. If you have the underglow on, leds will not shine at their maximum brightness. Although that could just be the USB port I’m using.

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #260 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 11:46:21 »
Damn I missed this =/ Anyone know of any other similar WKL keyboards on GBs?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #261 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 12:35:49 »
Damn I missed this =/ Anyone know of any other similar WKL keyboards on GBs?

TKLs always coming, keep an eye on the interest check subforum
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Grimspoon

« Reply #262 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 00:00:10 »
What type of screws are holding the case together? I can barely tell what I'm looking at here. Are these allen key? I feel like I may have stripped one but I also feel like I can't tell what screw head these are either. Also feel like it takes a lot to squeeze the case actually closed.

Someone said M2 earlier. I'll have to grab a proper set.

« Last Edit: Mon, 30 April 2018, 00:04:40 by Grimspoon »

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #263 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 01:38:15 »
M2.5 I believe. They are allen / hex key. I replaced them with standard flathead m2.5 screws because using a hex key to open it up every time is annoying. Just be sure to get the right length.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #264 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 01:41:43 »
What type of screws are holding the case together? I can barely tell what I'm looking at here. Are these allen key? I feel like I may have stripped one but I also feel like I can't tell what screw head these are either. Also feel like it takes a lot to squeeze the case actually closed.

They are m2.5 x 8

Offline Grimspoon

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 05:26:40 »
Thanks for the quick replies. Will be replacing them asap.

Offline Grimspoon

« Reply #266 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 16:02:24 »

Turns out I just needed my good allen key set from work. Everything is fine. Except my diffuser snapped the moment I looked at it. Also those m2.5 screw holes were tight as hell. But everything is fine.

Offline sykim0310

« Reply #267 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 07:01:34 »
Today a new pcb arrived.
This pcb still doesn't fit into my top case.

1. There is no stab hole.
2. The left window key switch hole is incorrect.

Do I have to wait for another 2 weeks and get a new pcb?
Or do I need to get a refund?

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #268 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 07:15:46 »
Does anyone know what drivers this uses because i got an error that says device descriptor failed,basically rendering the keyboard unusable.Can i fix this just by replacing the drivers or do i need a new pcb?

Offline geewizwow

« Reply #269 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 08:52:50 »
You have to hold either u or ctrl+u while plugging it in.
It’s all in the bootmapper docs.

Cheers

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #270 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 11:25:12 »
This worked!Thank you so much

Offline tlautrec

« Reply #271 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 03:14:40 »
Today a new pcb arrived.

Did anyone get any replies/news re: the new pcb? :(

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 06:31:51 »
I am unsure what rev. PCB I received, but mine has stabilizer holes.
I haven't yet started assembling yet, so I don't know if it's the most recent or not.

Offline Baconheart

« Reply #273 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 06:53:26 »
Today a new pcb arrived.

Did anyone get any replies/news re: the new pcb? :(

I emailed Sylvester about a different issue on the 15th and haven't received a reply.

Offline tlautrec

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 10:05:45 »
I am unsure what rev. PCB I received, but mine has stabilizer holes.
I haven't yet started assembling yet, so I don't know if it's the most recent or not.

I’m referring to the 86 key TKL pcbs that didnt quite work out both the first and second round. :(

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #275 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 12:10:57 »
Yeah that's what I'm talking about.

I got 2 PCB's, the original one that didn't work with my case layout, and a second one that has stab holes, but I haven't checked if it lines up with the layout properly yet (Desk is messy, too many other projects!)

I am also waiting on the last of the 3 MARS accent inserts I ordered... Since my original package was missing 2, and the second PCB came with 2 others, but one of them was the wrong color, and machined wrong!

Offline thokir

« Reply #276 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 16:36:58 »
Just finished building mine after it arrived this morning.
I initially ordered a gray one, which (luckily) didn't pass QC. Sylvester then gave me the possibility to change the colour to black. Due to that the shipping took quite a bit longer than planned.

The white Mars box looks super nice, defenitely something I'm gonna keep, in case the board won't be standing on my desk all time. The pen also looks good, feels very worthy. Didn't get to try it yet.

One pcb works fine, though bootmapper client is kinda special to use for me... but it works. Still gotta test the second one.
My board is completely flawless without any dents or ano issues, just simple and nice black.
The diffuser sits very stiff, but I already removed and re-applied mine twice without breaking it.
One issue with it, though: The screws are about 1mm too long to use the board without the diffuser. Gonna fix that for me tomorrow, due to shortening the screws.
I have no idea why, but my screws are golden - I'm very impressed by that, looks better with brass plate and brass inlay than silver screws would do.

Right now I have no quality pictures due to bad lightening, but maybe I'll post some tomorrow.

Btw, weight is 3,45kg (7,6lb). I'm suuuper happy with this :)

e: On the second pcb, only 4 of the rgb leds are working. The others are red and won't change their color.
Sylvester, I don't really need a new pcb with them working, but how about a partial refund of the $40 for the second pcb? :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 May 2018, 17:19:47 by thokir »

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #277 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 17:52:16 »
Guys i kinda ****ed something up on bootmapper and wiped the whole layout.Can someone please take a pic of the layout (wkl) so i can remap it by hand?

Offline tlautrec

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 22:52:13 »
Yeah that's what I'm talking about.

I got 2 PCB's, the original one that didn't work with my case layout, and a second one that has stab holes, but I haven't checked if it lines up with the layout properly yet (Desk is messy, too many other projects!)

I am also waiting on the last of the 3 MARS accent inserts I ordered... Since my original package was missing 2, and the second PCB came with 2 others, but one of them was the wrong color, and machined wrong!

Fingers crossed for the stab holes to be there. I’m currently travelling so I can’t verify my pcbs yet :’( let me know when you eventually get down to building! :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 May 2018, 23:29:24 by tlautrec »

Offline thokir

« Reply #279 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 00:44:26 »
Guys i kinda ****ed something up on bootmapper and wiped the whole layout.Can someone please take a pic of the layout (wkl) so i can remap it by hand?

There you go.
Only difference to stock layout: I have FN on rctl instead of ralt, due to needing altgr for german layout.

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #280 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 00:46:03 »

There you go.
Only difference to stock layout: I have FN on rctl instead of ralt, due to needing altgr for german layout.
Thank you but i fixed it last night.Apparently if you set it into bootloader mode and hit a key it will show you the corresponding position.

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #281 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 13:12:55 »
Is there any way to get one of these? Or am i SOL

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #282 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 13:18:17 »
Is there any way to get one of these? Or am i SOL

I think I've seen one or two pop up on reddit mechmarket , but that's about it.

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 02:42:06 »
Hey guys, Sylvester didn't get back to me about the extra accessories yet so im gonna ask here.If anyone has any extras they want to sell(pcb,plate etc) please let me know.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 May 2018, 07:25:23 by crusader_alex »

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 07:21:44 »
Hey guys, Sylvester didn't get back to me about the extra accessories yet so im gonna ask here.If anyone gas any extras they want to sell(pcb,plate etc) please let me know.

Yeah, me too. I wonder where he went?
I'd be interested in buying a black MARS logo insert if anyone has one. I also could trade a silver, and MAYBE a purple or red.

Offline Baconheart

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 07:30:55 »
I'm quite worried as well, my keyboard hasn't been sent at all. Shipping label created on April 20th, but no updates on the tracking and DHL told me they never received it.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #286 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 11:11:38 »
Yeah that's definitely a much larger issue than me receiving the wrong color MARS accent piece...

Has ANYONE gotten any contact from Sylvester recently?

Offline thokir

« Reply #287 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 13:22:57 »
I didn't get any messages from Sylvester lately, but I didn't ask him anything, too.

Aaaand jumping in on the logo trades: I have a red one, would want a silver/gray one. Shipping from germany, with insurance and tracking.

Offline tlautrec

« Reply #288 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 08:45:42 »
...aaaaand it's done! :D

Offline Baconheart

« Reply #289 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 08:52:44 »
I'm quite worried as well, my keyboard hasn't been sent at all. Shipping label created on April 20th, but no updates on the tracking and DHL told me they never received it.

Alright, been in contact with Sylvester and turns out the DHL proxy lost it, but now the factory's made up a replacement and it's on the way so everything's good.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #290 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 10:23:22 »

Alright, been in contact with Sylvester and turns out the DHL proxy lost it, but now the factory's made up a replacement and it's on the way so everything's good.

well then
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #291 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 22:09:23 »

Mines done. I freaking love this thing.
Best ano of any board I have!

The embedding isn't working for me on mobile so here's a link
http://imgur.com/HW2KL2I

Also glad to hear everything is working out.
The shipping proxy initially lost my extra MARS accent pieces, too. They don't seem like a very competent forwarder.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 July 2018, 22:13:10 by vewy_nice »

Offline Oscar2177

« Reply #292 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 19:04:40 »
Anyone know how to reflash the pcb and put it into bootloader mode? I accidentally
 had a couple keys pressed when connecting it in.

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #293 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 20:34:16 »
Anyone know how to reflash the pcb and put it into bootloader mode? I accidentally
Press either U or Ctrl+U while plugging it in,that should set it on the bootloader mode

Offline Grimspoon

« Reply #294 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 14:55:32 »

Is that the clear / silver anno? Looks very white in your photos. Looks great!

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 07:11:59 »
Should have posted this earlier, black/brass looks great. Seems very high quality, can't tell much until I build it though.
But at first sight and while handling it looks and feels amazing.

The more time I spend looking around at some other boards of this quality, the more I realize how reasonable the pricing actually was as well. Then again, I had to ruin the low price point by going and upgrading the entire thing to brass

https://imgur.com/a/T5rFDuv

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #296 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 22:44:21 »
Should have posted this earlier, black/brass looks great. Seems very high quality, can't tell much until I build it though.
But at first sight and while handling it looks and feels amazing.

The more time I spend looking around at some other boards of this quality, the more I realize how reasonable the pricing actually was as well. Then again, I had to ruin the low price point by going and upgrading the entire thing to brass

https://imgur.com/a/T5rFDuv

black and gold is a classy combo, i like this

Offline odd

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 04:34:48 »
Does anyone know what the "pen" like thing is that came with the keyboard? I thought it was a pen until I realized that it was solid with no way that I can see to open it.

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #298 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 04:43:49 »
Does anyone know what the "pen" like thing is that came with the keyboard? I thought it was a pen until I realized that it was solid with no way that I can see to open it.

The top should unscrew

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #299 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 20:04:28 »
Has there been any talk of working on a QMK port?
And/or, how to get more LED colors out of bootmapper client?

Been really enjoying the heft of this board, though!

Those black/brass and black/blue boards are making me kind of jealous ;) They're gorgeous!