Author Topic: Printed Colemak that isn't DSA profile?  (Read 2827 times)

Offline dndlmx

Printed Colemak that isn't DSA profile?
« on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 17:24:12 »
What are my options, if any, for having a visible Colemak layout in front of me? 

I haven't been able to type QWERTY without searching and pecking for almost 5 years. A dye subbed set of caps with a more ergonomic profile would be nice. Obviously there's blanks, but not having the number row and symbols printed bugs me. Even if I have *most* of it down to muscle memory. That's an ugly row, there's no way around it.

Offline dndlmx

Re: Printed Colemak that isn't DSA profile?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 07:56:02 »
GH ain't what it used to be, that's for sure.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 08:19:17 »
You might try a custom set from maxkeyboard or wasd not the best quality but they'd have legends.

Or look for a uniform SA key set, signature plastics might have some in stock.

I don't follow group buys much anymore but I don't think many have Colemak kits very often.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2019, 08:21:32 by SpAmRaY »

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 10:44:08 »
Off the top of my head, Space Cadet and Carbon R2 both had Colemak and Dvorak kits, although I'm not sure if everything reached MOQ and was actually made.

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 12:22:24 »
Pretty much any custom keycap set that drops on MassDrop will have a COLEVRAK kit available. Keep an eye out for such a set and if you see one you like, join the drop. Of course, chances are it will take many, many months for the keycaps to get manufactured and delivered, but they are worth the wait, especially if we are talking premium sphericals like SA or MT3 or the cylindrical gold standard, GMK.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 14:51:37 »
Appreciate it guys. Jeez, Massdrop really took over the group buy game huh? I don't know if that's the *only* reason, but GH seems a lot slower these days. Especially the classifieds, I hardly get any bites at all. It was really cracking around here in 2013. Maybe a lot of the keyboard heads already have most of what they need, and aren't buying much stuff...

What's your opinion on the ABS caps by GMK? I was kinda taught this mantra of sticking to PBT and dye sublimation for maximum longevity. But I'm willing to try it I guess, that GMK Space Cadet looks pretty dope.

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 12:17:40 »
ABS will wear faster than PBT, but double-shot legends will last forever, whereas dye-sub legends will tend to bleed and fade a bit over time (a very long time, granted). I don't mind the "shine" that ABS keycaps acquire and I prefer double-shot legends, so most of my custom keycap sets are ABS. However, the PBT sets that I do have are terrific and have a different feel, sort of like soft pumice, which is pleasurable in its own way too. Really, you can't go wrong either way; the key is to get high-quality keycaps from a reputable manufacturer (like GMK or SP) regardless of style or plastic involved.