Author Topic: [IC] IRON160 by Smith + Rune (All info avail! Hotswap is now a kit option!)  (Read 67667 times)

Offline Dunne

• Dunne
Re: [IC] IRON160 by Smith + Rune
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 05:31:42 »
"Optimized plate for consistency on every key press (see analysis below)" Can you show this? I can't seem to find the analysis in the post. 

Offline Davmak

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 06:46:35 »
It'll be my next board.

Offline Scriba

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 08:03:41 »
YES, in for that Plume for sure

Offline g0nerasm

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 08:56:28 »
That rosewater and plum  :eek:

Offline Juego

• True
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 09:08:58 »
You have my Sword  :cool:
#KeyboardGang

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 10:52:33 »

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 11:33:03 »
And my wallet
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline bshendy

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 21:50:39 »
So where's the analysis on the optimized plate?

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 22:19:26 »
I really love the dusty pink color.

Offline 7

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 02:17:06 »
Need a black one, great design once again.

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 20:12:35 »
side profile pictures?

Offline BlueTongue

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 07:37:06 »
I want it in any color because it's so perfect.

Offline bigdonnerz

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 16:58:38 »
This a bit more like a pre-GB annoucement than an IC as there's a lot of details missing for the community to give feedback on.

A couple of questions that come to mind for me:

- What layouts does the PCB support?
- What are the internals of the board like? Should we assume it uses the same system as previous boards? Were there any changes made?
- The post mentions analysis on plate consistency, can we see this somewhere?
- Do you have an idea of what the adjusted front height is?
- Will alu be the only option for the weight or will there be other material options as extras like the 165?
- What changes were made to WKL blockers to address the feedback on the 180?
- Can we hear a sound test of the prototype?
- Will any streamers/reviewers be receiving units?
- Is there a reason to not include even a target price range for the board? As there's been multiple prototypes made you must have at least a rough idea of price
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 March 2022, 18:48:13 by bigdonnerz »

Offline voxkey

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 21 March 2022, 19:51:44 »
Just want to start off by thanking everyone for taking the time to checkout the 160. We're really proud of it. And thanks to bigdonnerz for covering many of the questions we'll inevitably get along the way. Extremely thorough  :thumb:  :thumb:

This a bit more like a pre-GB annoucement than an IC as there's a lot of details missing for the community to give feedback on.

I would disagree. The IRON series' design has been long established but we're actively looking for feedback on options, configurations, accessories, etc. We're also trying gauge how many are actually interested. We've even added two forms to the IC looking for direct feedback from the community.

- What layouts does the PCB support?

Ideally we'd like to cover all the layouts we've covered previously, but that may change depending on feedback in regards to hotswap. It's a question that wasn't asked all that often when we made our first board, but has probably become the most asked question we receive these days. Hopefully the forms we've posted provide us some better insight into making this decision.

- What are the internals of the board like? Should we assume it uses the same system as previous boards? Were there any changes made?

The internals of the board are extremely similar to the most recent IRON165 and we should be including more of that information on this IC as well. We've made some additional tweaks in regards to the gaskets and pressure applied to the plate. We'll be adding more of this info shortly. Good questions.

- The post mentions analysis on plate consistency, can we see this somewhere?

Merely an oversight on our part not including this. Good catch and I'll be adding this shortly. In the meantime you can check out a more in-depth analysis in the IRON165 round 2 IC.

- Do you have an idea of what the adjusted front height is?

It is ever-so-slightly less than 17.25mm. The original iron was a bit shorter than this at the front, but the actual switches sit roughly at the same height. It allows keycaps that appear to sit up higher like ePBT to appear to sit a bit lower in the frame.

- Will alu be the only option for the weight or will there be other material options as extras like the 165?

This is a great question we're keen to get more feedback on. This is covered in the IC forms at the top of the post. We're hoping for tons of interest and we're definitely up for expanding our offerings and trying out new materials or finishes if there is enough interest.

- What changes were made to WKL blockers to address the feedback on the 180?

The 180 blockers weren't exactly popular as I'm sure many of you know. The feedback we received ranged from neutral to don't care to very negative with very few opinions falling into the positive category. Definitely not where we'd like it to be, so we completely changed our approach to blockers. We thought a redesign was more appropriate, one more in line with what the community wants to see from us.

We knew renders wouldn't be good enough this time around so this is why we've had all of our final revision prototypes (included multiples of the WKL version) professionally photographed. We chose to feature these in the IC so everyone can judge for themselves how we did this time around.

- Can we hear a sound test of the prototype?
- Will any streamers/reviewers be receiving units?

We're working on getting one up shortly. The feedback we've received from those who got to test out the protos has been outstanding.
We're also working on getting the boards out to more content creators for builds and sound tests.

- Is there a reason to not include even a target price range for the board? As there's been multiple prototypes made you must have at least a rough idea of price

We no longer share ballpark pricing or target ranges. We made this mistake early on and unfortunately no matter how many times you say ballpark or estimate people get that price stuck in their head. This presents many problems, one being that the final price will rarely ever match the estimate exactly. If the price is more than the estimate people feel disappointed. If the price is less, that'd be a win, but that means the estimate was likely too high and people might be disappointed before true pricing information is ever known.

I think it's safe to say a target range could be derived from all of our previous pricing. The IRON160 is physically the smallest board we've made, which means less raw material, which saves cost, but the cost of raw materials (and basically everything else) has risen substantially since the last time we've run a board. We're hoping there is enough interest so we can use sheer quantity as a negotiating tool to keep costs down as much as possible.

Even if we had ALL the info we'd need to price everything appropriately right now, that could still change between now and when the group buy happens. Materials cost has been all over the place unfortunately.

Offline santela

Re: [IC] IRON160 by Smith + Rune (Added IC Forms)
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 21 March 2022, 21:38:38 »
The prototype looks to have normal blockers, so that's nice.

Offline Sputnik

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 14:51:20 »
IC compiled. I need this ONE. Keep the price low

Offline Sputnik

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 14:53:56 »
IC compiled. I need this ONE. Keep the price low
Sorry, I meant Check Forms...

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 21:11:43 »
The 180 blockers weren't exactly popular as I'm sure many of you know. The feedback we received ranged from neutral to don't care to very negative with very few opinions falling into the positive category. Definitely not where we'd like it to be, so we completely changed our approach to blockers. We thought a redesign was more appropriate, one more in line with what the community wants to see from us.

We knew renders wouldn't be good enough this time around so this is why we've had all of our final revision prototypes (included multiples of the WKL version) professionally photographed. We chose to feature these in the IC so everyone can judge for themselves how we did this time around.

what's the completely new approach and how is it different from the old one?

Offline mymeepo

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 04:08:45 »
I wouldn't mind if this GB happened a bit later so there's more time to plan finances but also to gather and implement feedback

Offline velox_aquilae

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 08:41:27 »
Got two questions:

1. Any chance that additional colors will be available? All colors look GREAT but it would be harder to match plum and rosewater with the keycaps I have.

2. Any rough estimate on the weight of the prototypes? This would be my go-back-to-the-office keyboard, and I'd be moving it daily.

Offline KneeDeep

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 15:29:00 »
Got two questions:

1. Any chance that additional colors will be available? All colors look GREAT but it would be harder to match plum and rosewater with the keycaps I have.

2. Any rough estimate on the weight of the prototypes? This would be my go-back-to-the-office keyboard, and I'd be moving it daily.

The weight of my full alu built proto is 1.276 kg, I have been bringing it back and forth to the lab with me for a few weeks now and it is my go to commuting board.

Offline Sicowa

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 15:59:02 »
is fixing the blockers from previous iterations really what you're calling a complete redesign. . .
Collection: Khajit 60, Leopold FC980C, Pepper, Ex. Visa, Daedalus

pfp:https://twitter.com/kuroseP/status/1305179874429079553?s=19

Offline Capsy

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 17:45:23 »

Offline Spoopy

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 23:30:22 »
Hopefully there's a lot of units/unlimited gb! Would love for y'alls boards to be more accessible.

Offline velox_aquilae

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 26 March 2022, 14:32:14 »
Got two questions:

The weight of my full alu built proto is 1.276 kg, I have been bringing it back and forth to the lab with me for a few weeks now and it is my go to commuting board.

Thanks KD. I assume you've been commuting with the included hard case?

Offline bshendy

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 00:02:45 »
Perhaps I may be the only one with this opinion, but as someone that has admired Smith + Rune's work, I feel a bit underwhelmed. Even though this is all in the same lineup, and it's to be expected for the 160 to be similar in design to the 65 and 80, I just feel like there could've been more distinguishable characteristics to make this one stand out a bit more in its own lineup. The 180 had the big brass bottom, the 165 had the top case badge.... and the 60 doesn't really have anything unique that would distinguish itself from the 80 or 65.

With that being said, it's a good looking keyboard, but I think pricing will either make or break it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 March 2022, 00:12:15 by bshendy »

Offline caughtquick

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 00:25:19 »
This is one of the best looking 60s I've seen, looks great and something I'd definitely be interested in picking up.

Offline Techlet

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 15:18:34 »
Perhaps I may be the only one with this opinion, but as someone that has admired Smith + Rune's work, I feel a bit underwhelmed. Even though this is all in the same lineup, and it's to be expected for the 160 to be similar in design to the 65 and 80, I just feel like there could've been more distinguishable characteristics to make this one stand out a bit more in its own lineup. The 180 had the big brass bottom, the 165 had the top case badge.... and the 60 doesn't really have anything unique that would distinguish itself from the 80 or 65.

The 160 distinguishes itself from the rest of the Iron boards by having correctly sized WKL blockers.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 21:52:06 »

With that being said, it's a good looking keyboard, but I think pricing will either make or break it.
I agree some part on not making it distinguishable but also need to consider that there really is not a huge amount of room on a 60% to add much flare to. The big bezel is probably the most you can really push from a top case unless you start adding more things like nameplats to it but that would take away from the more solid look of it in my opinion.

Offline Silk

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 03:55:59 »
I wonder if all different keycaps that aren't GMK have been tested with 20 or however many prototype boards that are going around for the blocker.

Offline Minam

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 07:11:22 »
Wondering why you guys aren’t running this in-stock because you know your stuff will sell. I am not waitinf a year+ to get short wkl blockers. It’s time that established designers take on the risks instead of having consumers pay for everything and have them wait a year and a half especially when you have a history of manufacturing mistakes that you won’t own up to.

Offline lbaron

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 09:01:23 »
Wondering why you guys aren’t running this in-stock because you know your stuff will sell. I am not waitinf a year+ to get short wkl blockers. It’s time that established designers take on the risks instead of having consumers pay for everything and have them wait a year and a half especially when you have a history of manufacturing mistakes that you won’t own up to.

In about a year there will be limited amount of boards available. You’re more than welcome to wait for these in-stock boards. People who trust us can buy during the GB for a discount vs higher in-stock prices later.

Our goal has always been to get as many boards into peoples hands as possible. Moving to a purely in-stock model would severely limit our goal.

Offline voxkey

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 09:22:06 »
Hopefully there's a lot of units/unlimited gb! Would love for y'alls boards to be more accessible.

That's the idea! Definitely make sure to fill out the forms and provide some feedback. It gives us an idea of how many are interested in purchasing and from what regions. This will help us better structure everything with our vendors.

It also helps us decide how many boards and accessories we need to order for in-stock sales. We're still not at a point as a company where we can afford to sit on large amounts of unsold inventory so getting these numbers right is very important.

Offline sirbestia

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 17:02:33 »
Can we possibly get 3u 1u 3u space bar support? really rare but it would be much appreciated!

Offline infinitum

• i buy expensive plastic
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 17:18:15 »
was waiting for this, looks sick

Offline voxkey

Updates - April 8th, 2022

• Group buy date have been announced.
  • Vendors and quantities available have been announced.
  • Hotswap PCB will be available as an addon at the time of the group buy. Each IRON160 will come standard with a solderable PCB. This way we can still continue to support all layouts.
  • Polycarbonate and polypropylene plates will be available in addition to the forged carbon and aluminum plates.
  • Salvun artisan keycaps will be returning.
  • Smith + Rune artisan keycaps will also be available in all three board colors (like the ones offered with IRON180).
  • Brushed finish has been chosen for the brass, copper, and stainless steel accent weights.
  • Solid brass OR copper upgraded bottom, similar to what we offered on the 180. Please fill out the IC form and let us know what you prefer!
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2022, 17:30:05 by voxkey »

Offline Sissy

No Australian vendors sad. Guess I will just go with who offers best shipping since shipping times take forever regardless.

Offline voxkey

Updates - April 18th, 2022

• We finally have pricing!
  • Custom screws will now be standard. We liked how all screws sat flush on the IRON180 so much that we've decided to continue this evolution by having custom screws made with the spacer built in.
  • We're revisiting the carrying case and making improvements. We're ditching the old foam for CNC'd foam and making a few more updates without sacrificing the protection the case provides.
  • An upgraded copper bottom will be offered. The feedback overwhelmingly pointed towards copper.

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

Re: [IC] IRON160 by Smith + Rune (Pricing update!!)
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 22:23:35 »
these "not renders" are clean!  :p

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 22:34:46 »
Pricing seems extremely high for a 2000 MOQ 60%.
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline Sicowa

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 22:39:09 »
Collection: Khajit 60, Leopold FC980C, Pepper, Ex. Visa, Daedalus

pfp:https://twitter.com/kuroseP/status/1305179874429079553?s=19

Offline anti_ge_jiu_cai

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 23:09:09 »

Lol they'll use the same excuse that "Everything is more expensive than a year ago. ". Yet other recent boards like space65 r3 and owlab spring are over $100 less. Space65 seems to have way more complex machining, and Spring has a huge SS PVD weight. They are charging $479 for an old all-aluminum design. It's just non-sense. Polaris v2 is also coming out and I'm sure it'll cost much less too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2022, 23:29:47 by anti_ge_jiu_cai »

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 23:15:40 »
deleted.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2022, 23:34:32 by ankit-sachdeva »
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline linell

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 23:32:41 »
480 for full alu and 2000 unit cap from designers who couldn't get wkl right
mamma mia
bro this a **** set, just be thankful you even getting 1 base running fr

Offline stewfayew

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 01:38:22 »
If you enjoy 60% keyboards:

• Navigate away from this page
  • Go to the list of ICs
  • Find another 60% you like
  • Forget you ever saw this

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 02:01:25 »
For almost $500 I would hope I can at least get something that looks diferrent from a simple wedge style keyboard, or at least have a weight in it....  :'( is the MOQ cutoff very low to get this price?
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline proelio

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 02:37:10 »
Really expensive for a simple full alu 60% with no special design/features at that moq

Offline anonymous

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 02:42:54 »

Lol they'll use the same excuse that "Everything is more expensive than a year ago. ". Yet other recent boards like space65 r3 and owlab spring are over $100 less. Space65 seems to have way more complex machining, and Spring has a huge SS PVD weight. They are charging $479 for an old all-aluminum design. It's just non-sense. Polaris v2 is also coming out and I'm sure it'll cost much less too.

It is true that prices have increased for the past two years. The reason while owlab and graystudio offers cheaper price is because they operate in China.

Offline Dunne

• Dunne
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 03:03:36 »
My eyes need to be bleached after seeing this price point. Those profit margins looking juicy!

Offline honoka

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 03:25:57 »
The cost of a product is never only the cost of a product.
You are paying for the time and effort of the people behind the product. You are also paying for future time and effort for future products.
Complaining about the price point for a product you don't have to buy is super weird to me.

Do you think a pair of Nike shoes cost that much to manufacture?
Come off it and put some ice on the hurt butt.