Author Topic: [IC] Signature Plastics 6.5u Alps spacebars (ARRIVED! Pricing updated)  (Read 7595 times)

Offline vewy_nice

IC FORM UP HERE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc-zlof-K7SidpMM7bNjJBjjSY2ShrdnLD6S80wEFwBE-aRSg/viewform

I could have sworn I limited it to 1 response, but I have a couple duplicates of emails, and reddit usernames... Hm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PICS HERE:
https://imgur.com/a/40ShM

ALL SPACEBARS HAVE BEEN ORDERED!
And according to the form numbers, about half of them have been "claimed"!
I'm sure it'll sell out fast once everything is all set and the GB officially launches :)

I have been trying to hunt down a 6.5u alps spacebar to replace the broken one in my AEKII keyset, and without having much luck, turned to Signature Plastics to see what they could do.

They have the ability to produce spacebars in 6.5u, alps stem, MX stabilizer mounts, and made of ABS. I asked about PBT, and they can't do it.

I would assume the most popular choice for a color would be an un-yellowed AEK color match to replace gross yellow bars, but I was thinking about how neat it would be to have something like navy blue, deep red, or possibly purple or retro brown. 
I would for sure run a color match, and if there's overwhelming support for another color, that too, maybe 2 different colors.

The quoted lead time would be around 8 weeks from order date to arrival, plus a week or so (probably 2) to package and ship them. (I am in the USA)

Depending on how much interest there is, if the projected cost is under $300 (25 spacebars in 3 colors?), I'll shell out my own money to pre-buy everything, and then send out invoices once the bars arrive. I have never run a group buy before, and I'm fairly new to the community, so I figure that would be a good way to gain some trust and merit.

Anybody have any questions or think they might want to get in on this?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/1/18 EDIT:
More
I have contacted SP about pricing and the possibility of color-matching.

I think I am going to buy 50 color matched bars, and 25 navy blue (BFU) bars to start, and just sell them, instead of doing a full GB style thing. I have materials to make artisan caps coming, too, so I will probably sell them through my future store.

Soon, I will make up a Google form to take pre-orders, but I won't send out invoices until I have everything in line.

PRICING IS STILL TBD, especially with the new stab wire revelations. 
Especially with the wire issue, I very well may have the spacebars set and ready to go by the time I get everything settled and send out invoices/start selling.

2/5/18 EDIT:
More
Color matching carries an $800 min-buy, which isn't going to happen this time around.

I have purchased 7 different color chips from SP to try and find a match.
(WFK, WFO, GSL, GRX, GTQ, GTR, GAL)
Let me know if you have any other good color ideas.

2/21/18 UPDATE
More
I selected a color based on comparison with 3 different AEK keysets, and the winner ended up being... GAL, I think? I can't remember it's sitting on my desk at home.

I've been very distracted lately, but I am hoping to place my order tonight, and then production can start. I'm going to see if I can get the first bar off the line shipped to me so I can start work on the stabilizer design. I haven't had any luck sourcing anyone else's SP bar, yet.

I've decided to buy 50 grey bars, 25 navy blue bars (BFU), and 25 royal maroon/dark red bars (RAS).

As soon as I get a spacebar, and work out the stabilizer shape (and make a jig to make them), I'll open a form to take orders, and start churning out stabilizer wire.

2/27 UPDATE:

More
Order placed, looks like lead time is 6 to 8 weeks to receiving.

50x GAL
25x RAS (Dark red)
25x BFU (dark blue)

I am working with another user to get my hands on an Alpine Winter spacebar soon so I can start stabilizer work. 
Also might be in cahootz with the user running the Cherry/Alps stem converter on direct-fit cherry mount Alps style stabilizers (with the proper offset). I will try and get my hands on a prototype and see where that goes.

I am not opposed to re-running these in other colors. I've seen lots of support for pastel colors, so maybe that will be next. 
I don't see many sources of spacebars for AEK keysets, so maybe I can become the "unofficial source" or something, we will see.
I am thinking of a scheme for getting these out to people... I MIGHT limit it to one AEK grey bar per person to start if there's more than 50 people initially interested in 2 or more. If there's still suffucuent demand, I could do a larger quantity round 2 of the grey color in the near future.

3/1 UPDATE:

More
Someone on Reddit rose the concern of the mismatch in profile.
I'm aware of this, and I'm sure pretty much everyone interested knows we can't get exactly the same... 
I found this chart: 
http://i.imgur.com/kFxqOm8.jpg

And did some rudimentary snip-snip paintwork 
https://i.imgur.com/5BW2G6d.png

It's really not a bad fit! The front of the caps are virtually identical height (according to this chart), but the angle is just a bit off. I think it's actually going to be a better match than I thought!

Mods: What do I do with this thread? I wouldn't consider what I'm doing a "group buy"... I'm just footing the bill and re-distributing later... I'll just keep adding updates here until someone tells me to stop I guess.

3/17 UPDATE

More
See post 25 for images of DCS spacebar on AEK key profile

Still kicking around stabilizer ideas. I am working on a tool to cut an Alps stabilizer hole into the MX cross mount. It seems to work alright, but I am also going to look into 3D printing an alps style insert with an MX cross mount.

Also on the table is an optional stabilizing post like the original spacebars. I found some Delrin rods that are the right height and diameter, and I'd make a fixture to epoxy them in place permanently.

3/22/18 UPDATE

More
I have worked with BlindAssasin (of the NEXUS Alps slider GB) to order 100 pairs of his custom stabilizer inserts. This will allow for the use of the original Alps stabilizer wire!

We're on the eve of 3 weeks since I placed the spacebar order. Best case sccenario, we're half-way there! 

The stabilizer inserts will definitely beat the spacebars (My transaction was outside Assasin's GB). Once they get here, I will provide some pictures and feedback about how they work!

Later today I will open an official GB thread. I will not send out invoices until everything is ready to ship.
PRICING: It's looking to be about $6 per bar/insert pair, and I'll figure something out for shipping, but that will be cheap. Expect sub-$10 all-inclusive! (Inside the USA, international might be a tad bit more)

4/11/18 UPDATE

So the spacebars will be arriving at my place TONIGHT! 
And the stabilizer inserts are scheduled for TOMORROW.

I will be opening up the official GB on Wednesday or Thursday.

I have also purchased a few things for some nifty packaging, so you're not just getting a spacebar in some bubble wrap!
And when everything arrives, I'll start sending these out! 
Expect shipping to begin the week of the 23rd (pending payment, of course) 
This is by no means a promise, but If everything arrives when it says it should, then it's a damn good estimate.

FINAL PRICING:
Space-bar plus NEXUS stabilizer inserts - $6.50

Shipping for 1 spacebar kit -                   $3.60
Shipping for 2 spacebar kits -                  $4.50

The shipping is an estimate. There's a good chance it will be LOWER.

I will post a GB thread when I have pictures of everything.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 April 2018, 16:43:28 by vewy_nice »

Offline Jacob4341

Re: [IC] Signature Plastics 6.5u Alps spacebars (AEK color match and others)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 16:45:02 »
This is cool! In for a pair of AEK color matched ones for sure if it goes to GB!

Offline punkpc

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 16:52:05 »
I would be in for 2 at least, maybe more depending on other color options.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 20:09:10 »
In for 2 at least as well.  Would be nice to have other colors like 9009 or Muted Space Bars.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 20:23:23 »
Everyone want these

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 21:26:16 »
this intrigues me
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ZayaCaps

• Instagram
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 21:37:24 »
Count me in for two in AEK gray.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 04:14:21 »
How do we source stabilizers for it and is the alps 64 kit compatible with a 6.5u space bar mx stabilizer?

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 06:56:20 »
I've got a bunch of extra alps stabs at home, I'll do some experimenting when I get out of work.

I was poking around, and saw something that I hadn't thought of that looks promising. 
http://i.imgur.com/DdPscvM.jpg

Alps mount stabs are just half of an MX mount if you think about it right...

And looking at the Matias page for their stabilizers, the MX style mounts (that I also have a ton of extras from vintage boards I've salvaged) also work. 
https://matias.store/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set
This image right here --> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1315/1471/products/Cherry_Top_Hook_large.jpg?v=1495601138
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 January 2018, 07:00:22 by vewy_nice »

Offline daviddoctorrose

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 11:00:47 »
Interesting. I’d probably get in on this. I for at least two (maybe more?) regardless of color/options. Very interested.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 14:30:31 »
I've got a bunch of extra alps stabs at home, I'll do some experimenting when I get out of work.

I was poking around, and saw something that I hadn't thought of that looks promising. 
http://i.imgur.com/DdPscvM.jpg

Alps mount stabs are just half of an MX mount if you think about it right...

And looking at the Matias page for their stabilizers, the MX style mounts (that I also have a ton of extras from vintage boards I've salvaged) also work. 
https://matias.store/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set
This image right here --> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1315/1471/products/Cherry_Top_Hook_large.jpg?v=1495601138

The MX style mounts you linked are "Costar" mounts.  Matias boards use Costar stabilizers for their spacebars, and not Alps, which is why they include a set of them in their stabilizer pack.

I've never had to deal with this EXACT issue, but I have used SP alps keycaps on my matias board and had to mod ALL of the stabilized keys that had alps mounts.

The issue is not only the shape of the insert, but the position on the keycap.  The mounts on MX caps are set further inwards (closer to the center point).  Alps stabilizers will not reach the inserts when installed.  Also, Alps wires are going to be too tall on the bent portion, not allowing the keycap to be pressed down fully.  Alps inserts allow the wire to travel all the way up to the top edge of the keycap when depressed.  You can see that costar mounts don't work the same way.

The solution is to rebend the wire.

I've mocked up the solution for rebending.  I did this on my V60 board so that I could use DSA lightcycle Alps caps.  This is not fun, but it works. 

Another problem is that most people probably don't wish to bend their only AEKII stabilizer wire.  I suggest you find someone with a wire bender (like a du-bro) and get them to make new wires for these space bars. 

When all is said and done, you'll just have to try it out and see what works best and let us know.

Hope this helps

P.S.

Costar stabilizers are not long enough across the bottom to be inserted into the alps stabilizers that are on the plate.  This would be a good solution if they were about 3mm wider.  However, you can use costar stabilizer wire as a guide for where to bend as far as height goes.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 January 2018, 14:54:28 by reececonrad »

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 23:38:35 »
I'm definitely down for one, if not two, of these.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 08:39:13 »
I'm going to do some poking around with respect to stabilizer wires...

I have a wire bender already for other things, maybe I could just get a ton of piano wire and spend a weekend making custom stab wires to go with them...

I have also contacted SP about pricing and the possibility of color-matching.

I think I am going to buy 50 color matched bars, and 25 navy blue bars to start, and just sell them, instead of doing a full GB style thing.

Soon, I will make up a Google form to take pre-orders, but I won't send out invoices until I have everything in line.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 10:17:00 »
Color matching carries an $800 min-buy, which I cannot pull at this moment.

I purchased 7 color chips from SP to see if I can find a good match. 
(WFK, WFO, GSL, GRX, GTQ, GTR, GAL)

Let me know if you have any other chip suggestions. I tried going by hex color codes quoted on Deskthority, and hec matching from images of good condition AEK II's I found online, but lighting differences were rendering the results pretty useless... And hex matching from SP's pictures of the chips was leading to even worse results.

I resorted to just looking, and buying everything I saw that I thought might be close.

I also started work on a prototype wire bender (a 3d model, mostly), but I am going to wait until I get one of the SP spacebars to measure things up properly for different stab types.
(Anyone want to let me borrow their SP alps 6.5u spacebar?

Offline amatecha

• Matecha.net
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 16:24:32 »
I'm interested, the spacebar on my alps64 is pretty nasty and scraped up (and cracked), so I'm game for a replacement.  Thought the entire "donor" AEKII I got cost me $10, hahah

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 23:00:20 »
GKK, GQJ

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:40:30 »
GKK, GQJ
Those are PBT colors... I tried real hard to get them to even consider trying to do a PBT spacebar, but I guess it's just absolutely off-limits.

The color chips I got have shipped, and should be here soon (tomorrow according to USPS), I'll post a lot of pictures in all kinds of light, and see what people think.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:42:34 by vewy_nice »

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 07:52:28 »
I selected a color based on comparison with 3 different AEK keysets, and the winner ended up being... GAL, I think? I can't remember it's sitting on my desk at home.

I've been very distracted lately, but I am hoping to place my order tonight, and then production can start. I'm going to see if I can get the first bar off the line shipped to me so I can start work on the stabilizer design. I haven't had any luck sourcing anyone else's SP bar, yet.

I've decided to buy 50 grey bars, 25 navy blue bars (BFU), and 25 royal maroon/dark red bars (RAS).

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 08:07:35 »
I think the 6.75u Alps spacebars they sell on PMK are actually 6.5u. The spacebars they have are in Alpine Winter colours which had 6u, 6.25u, 6.5u and 7u spacebars, no 6.75u. Might be worth a shot if you can't get one otherwise.
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline oluigenuma

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 08:23:26 »
I am very interested in this. Would be in for two original colored spacebars and maybe one more in a pastel color?

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 11:54:18 »
Order placed, looks like lead time is 6 to 8 weeks to receiving.

50x GAL
25x RAS (Dark red)
25x BFU (dark blue)

I am working with another user to get my hands on an Alpine Winter spacebar soon so I can start stabilizer work. 
Also might be in cahoots with the user running the Cherry/Alps stem converter on direct-fit cherry mount Alps style stabilizers (with the proper offset). I will try and get my hands on a prototype and see where that goes.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 12:03:14 »
That's great news.  Thanks for the update.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 09:25:52 »
I've put up an IC form. Consider it a "soft preorder", as everything will be FCFS, but I'll consider people on the form "at the front of the line"

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc-zlof-K7SidpMM7bNjJBjjSY2ShrdnLD6S80wEFwBE-aRSg/viewform

Offline oluigenuma

Filled out form. Sad that the other colors are both dark ones. Doesn’t really fit the light aek scheme in my opinion.

Offline vewy_nice

Yeah, I sort of just went for it.

I really wanted a dark red (for my Alps64 in a dark wood case), and a dark blue (for my space grey AEK64), and I'm weird and don't mind taking a loss to get them haha...

Based on what I've seen, I'm pretty confident I'll be running another round to get more grey bars, and will open it up to the community for color suggestions.

I do see the appeal of lighter colors, though 
http://i.imgur.com/kdvpfn8.jpg
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 10:06:11 by vewy_nice »

Offline vewy_nice

This spacebar is ALPINE WINTER COLOR, this is NOT THE COLOR MATCH!

Flipped: 

And on the stabilizer front: 

I'm working on a tool to basically just cut an Alps insert slot into the MX cutout. 
It fits in nice and stiff! 
This would be paired with a new wire. 
Costar inserts are JUST slightly too tall, and hit the plate before the switch bottoms out, so I wanted to try and figure something out with the original inserts. 
I won't be able to offer any original inserts for sale, though.

I might also be working on 3D printing original style inserts with an MX cross mount...

Offline ullr

On the insert front have you seen what the dude doing the Nexus slider GB is doing? Maybe you can work something out with him.

Offline vewy_nice

I was working with him, and was hoping to get my hands on some prototypes, but that slipped, and I'm hesitant to straight-up buy 100 sets without having seen/felt them first.

Offline vewy_nice

I ended up ordering 100 pairs of the NEXUS alps stabilizer insert, which will allow for the use of the original AEK style Alps stabilizer wire!

Pricing isn't quite hammered down yet, but expect sub-$10 shipped within the USA.

See the main post for more detail.

Offline vewy_nice

Re: [IC] Signature Plastics 6.5u Alps spacebars (ARRIVING TODAY!)
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 10:00:24 »
Spacebars are out for delivery today! 
Stabilizer inserts are scheduled for tomorrow.

I'll open a GB thread when I get pictures of everything.

FINAL PRICING for each spacebar/stabilizer kit is $6.50, shipping should be between $3 and $5 depending on how many spacebars you buy.

I have chosen to limit the grey spacebars to 2 per person, and the colors to 1 per person.

This will most likely be the last update before the GB thread opens.

EDIT: They're here!
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 April 2018, 16:42:56 by vewy_nice »

Offline midnight2903

Re: [IC] Signature Plastics 6.5u Alps spacebars (ARRIVING TODAY!)
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:35:26 »
Spacebars are out for delivery today! 
Stabilizer inserts are scheduled for tomorrow.

I'll open a GB thread when I get pictures of everything.

FINAL PRICING for each spacebar/stabilizer kit is $6.50, shipping should be between $3 and $5 depending on how many spacebars you buy.

I have chosen to limit the grey spacebars to 2 per person, and the colors to 1 per person.

This will most likely be the last update before the GB thread opens.

EDIT: They're here!

Wait so all spacebars are gone?

Offline vewy_nice

Re: [IC] Signature Plastics 6.5u Alps spacebars (ARRIVED! Pricing updated)
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:47:13 »
No, I haven't sold any yet.

My internet at home has been out for like 2 weeks, and I can't do much at work (where I am now), so I haven't opened the buy yet.

Plus, this week I am house/dog sitting, so I'm not even home at all to work on packaging things up.

SoonTM

Offline midnight2903

Re: [IC] Signature Plastics 6.5u Alps spacebars (ARRIVED! Pricing updated)
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:59:18 »
No, I haven't sold any yet.

My internet at home has been out for like 2 weeks, and I can't do much at work (where I am now), so I haven't opened the buy yet.

Plus, this week I am house/dog sitting, so I'm not even home at all to work on packaging things up.

SoonTM

Nice, I'm glad I didn't miss anything. Totally forgot about this buy with all the other buys coming out recently  :p