Author Topic: TS65 - The Split 65% Keyboard  (Read 154886 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
TS65 - The Split 65% Keyboard
« on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 12:05:30 »
I built, used and then sold my Ergodox because I couldn't get used to the vertical stagger and drastically different layout to a "standard" keyboard. It was a great board and great design, just not for me. However, using a TKL/1800 now feels very unnatural because of the superior comfort offered by the Ergodox.

The 65% keyboards have been intriguing me for a while and I tried out a mock sort of setup using my 1800 and realised that this was the right layout for me as it is the most practical, however all the 65% on offer will still cause ulnar deviation. I then decided I have to make a 65% with a split. I used the Input Club Ergodox' Left-hand KiCAD project as a blue print and then started to work on the PCB. The decision to use the ICED was as it had support for two PCBs communicating with each other.

This brings us to today, I have completed the PCBs for both the left and right side of the keyboard. I will be uploading the project to Github soon once. However I am at a conundrum for a decent bottom row, one that is practical and one that has decent compatibility with existing keysets.

Features:
- Open Source Design
- Fully Programmable Keys
- Split design for better ergonomics, while maintaining the currently "standard" keyboard layput
- PCBs and case designed so that the two sides can be aligned perfectly like a 65%, for others using the board, cleaner desk while not at it, etc.
- Multiple layers
- Alps/Cherry (PCB/Plate) switch support
- PCB mount stabs supported
- Backlight LED on top to maintain compatibility with the few backlit keysets out there
- 3 Indicator + CapsLock LED
- 18 SMD RGB LEDs on the bottom of the PCB for under/side glow
- SMD (SOD-123) diodes
- Individual resistors for the LEDs not required as it uses a dedicated LED driver
- Using large (0805) capacitors and resistors so it is easier to hand-solde

Optional features supported:
- Possibility to add a buzzer
- Possibility to add a PS/2 trackpoint to either halves.
- Possibility to add a rotary dial for changing volume, LED brightness, etc.

Layout options decided/implemented:
- Split backspace
- Split left shift
- ISO support
- Off-center capslock
- 2.75 and 1.75 right shift
- Multiple bottom rows supported

To Do (immediate):
- Add support for RGB LEDs to EasyAVR
- Add support for MCP23018 to EasyAVR
- Add support for buzzer to EasyAVR
- Add support for PS/2 trackpoint to EasyAVR
- Add support for rotary encoder to EasyAVR

GitHub Link:  https://github.com/mohitg11/TS65AVR

Current PCB design:

What it's gonna look like:
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:17:29 by MOZ »

Offline cy384

• cy384
Re: TS65 - The Split 65% Keyboard [Need assistance on bottom row options]
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 12:48:53 »
A quick minor aesthetic suggestion, for the right side bottom row, you could consider moving the keys over a bit to fill that ~0.5u gap next to the arrow keys.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 12:51:04 »
The space is intentional, that small gap makes using the arrow keys easier as there is a distinction from the rest of the bottom row.

Offline kevral

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 02:22:32 »
At first glance that looks perfect. My first 2 keyboards were MS Naturals, and I have a Kinesis Freestyle somewhere. Didn't start using a regular keyboard until a few years ago, when I wanted to learn be able to use both laptops and 60 % mechanicals - plus I realized the angle of the Naturals made me change the stagger of the left hand keys, so I needed to relearn proper touch typing.

That said, your layout looks perfect. Ideally I would want a longer right and shorter left space, but realize that might be hard to fit regular keycaps.

Your decision to make each part connectable on its own is the only correct one.

Personally I would add a column of keys to each side, to the right on the left side and vice versa, to use as macro keys for gaming or other assignable for general use. But that would make it less ideal to snap together like a normal keyboard, so I am not necessarily recommending you do it.

With a nice alu case I would buy, if someone sold one.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 04:04:30 »
At first glance that looks perfect. My first 2 keyboards were MS Naturals, and I have a Kinesis Freestyle somewhere. Didn't start using a regular keyboard until a few years ago, when I wanted to learn be able to use both laptops and 60 % mechanicals - plus I realized the angle of the Naturals made me change the stagger of the left hand keys, so I needed to relearn proper touch typing.
Just in case there is a confusion, the left and right side will be two individual PCBs and have their own case, giving the user the flexibility to lay them out as they wish, with an angle or not, the distance, different heights, etc.

That said, your layout looks perfect. Ideally I would want a longer right and shorter left space, but realize that might be hard to fit regular keycaps.
I went with the longest key that is still fairly easy to get a hand on, anything longer is very very hard to find and hardly any sets have those keys barring 7bit's Round 5/6.

I'm quite happy with the right side bottom row, just trying to have a config for the right side, where when can cap it with 125 TKL and either, Tsangan kit or Ergodox kit. So probably two layouts. I think the 1.75U Right shift is going to become popular and be a part of the base sets moving forward given the popularity of Whitefox and growing appreciation for 65% boards.

Offline kevral

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 02:59:37 »
No confusion on my part.

In 1995 the MS Natural was the closest you could get, but the Kinesis has 2 separate halves connected by a wire, each able to be tilted and placed separately.

I like the bottom row. The extra 1.25 key on the left hand looks like a particularly useful thumb key. I assume each Space key is individually programmable?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 03:14:12 »
I like the bottom row. The extra 1.25 key on the left hand looks like a particularly useful thumb key. I assume each Space key is individually programmable?
Yes, each key is going to be individually programmable. :)

Am I the only one interested in a split 65%? :(

Offline Charger

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 10:28:45 »
Am I the only one interested in a split 65%? :(
no you now have me wanting one lol.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 10:31:45 »
Subscribed.  Always interested.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:58:35 »
Project is up on GitHub!

I have implemented a number of layouts for the bottom row, it should allow one to fill the board with a base TKL, short right shift and either Ergodox, Planck, Tsangan kit, only key that might be a problem is the 2.25 "space".

Now to get on to the case and firmware.

Feedback, criticism, etc highly appreciated.

Offline regack

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 17:43:58 »
Looks really great MOZ, lots of options on the bottom row.  I kept thinking about it, and in the end I think I like your default layout the best.  Will your case be able to sort of snap together, or will they always be separate pieces?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 23:19:00 »
Looks really great MOZ, lots of options on the bottom row.  I kept thinking about it, and in the end I think I like your default layout the best.  Will your case be able to sort of snap together, or will they always be separate pieces?

Thanks! When you say snap, do you mean snap like using magnets and the two halves connected electronically use board to board connection like on the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard; or just physically allow the user to have it placed in the standard 65% layout?

Offline regack

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 07:16:32 »
... just physically allow the user to have it placed in the standard 65% layout?

I really just meant this, but I like the idea of adding magnets to actually have the two halves stick when they are placed together.  I feel that doing some kind of board-to-board interconnect (like the UHK) would be overly complicated, and the benefits don't necessarily outweigh the complexity.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 08:08:47 »
... just physically allow the user to have it placed in the standard 65% layout?

I really just meant this, but I like the idea of adding magnets to actually have the two halves stick when they are placed together.  I feel that doing some kind of board-to-board interconnect (like the UHK) would be overly complicated, and the benefits don't necessarily outweigh the complexity.

I'll look into the option of including neo magnets in the bottom most layer. BTW do you think it will have any negative effect on the electronics?

Offline regack

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 08:30:03 »
For small neodymium magnets (3mm x 1mm) once you get about 5mm away there is very little magnetic field.  I think it drops off logrithmically from the magnetic source (or some other mathematical function).  I don't think it would have much effect on signals out on the edge of the case like that.   Strong neodymium magnets are inside of a hard drive ~15mm from the platters, so I don't think you'll mess up the signalling in a keyboard.

Edit: Apparently it's "the magnetic field falls off as the cube of the distance (1/r3)" - here's a neat little calculator.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 February 2016, 08:32:58 by regack »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 09:00:18 »
For small neodymium magnets (3mm x 1mm) once you get about 5mm away there is very little magnetic field.  I think it drops off logrithmically from the magnetic source (or some other mathematical function).  I don't think it would have much effect on signals out on the edge of the case like that.   Strong neodymium magnets are inside of a hard drive ~15mm from the platters, so I don't think you'll mess up the signalling in a keyboard.

Edit: Apparently it's "the magnetic field falls off as the cube of the distance (1/r3)" - here's a neat little calculator.

I have some magnets with me, will test how a few pairs hold through a layer of 3mm acrylic.

Also decided to better utilise the empty space ont he top left side of the right hand, will work on adding 3 LEDs that can be used either fr showing lock statuses or current layer.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 14:02:50 »
following this closely
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 03:19:46 »
this is awesome MOZ, subscribed!  :thumb:
Realforce 87U

Offline simonyunhe

Re: TS65 - The Split 65% Keyboard
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 06:25:29 »
interest
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 03:57:39 »
Oooooh, this is very interesting.  :thumb:

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 11:40:31 »
Excited to see how this develops. Definitely a great alternative to the VE project going on  :thumb:

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 13:27:30 »
I like this a lot, if an aluminum case could be made for it I would be all over it

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 11:25:18 »
I like this a lot, if an aluminum case could be made for it I would be all over it
I have absolutely no idea how to use 3D CAD tools, if someone would like to, they are more than welcome to, all the required files are on GitHub.
-----------------------------------------------

Finally the layered acrylic case design is done, here is a snapshot of the SVG file (Uploaded to GitHub)

As usual suggestions, critics, questions welcome. :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 11:58:36 »
Just did a complete revision of the PCB, the two different PCBs have been combined into one, this should make ordering PCB easier. Latest revision uploaded on GitHub.

In case someone wants to build a non-split 65, then that is a viable option too, although I wouldn't recommend it as there will be two MCU and LED drivers, so higher costs as compared to some other 65% PCBs like the WhiteFox, however there is support for Alps switches ;) The left and right side can be connected using direct cables via the debug headers on the board rather than using the second pair of USB connectors. Only one USB Type C on either side will suffice. Oh and as it stands right now, only the split spacebar is available, I'll look into adding full size space bars if the board permits.

Still have to update the case, that is designed for v0.1, PCB dimensions have changed.

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2016, 12:04:06 by MOZ »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 08:26:13 »
I'm looking at creating a fork of this project, one that uses the ps2avrGB, it has support for the lock LEDs as well as RGB LEDs which is currently lacking with the KLL firmware. Driving the RGB LEDs with ISSI chip is also troublesome.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 11:20:00 »
Updated the case file on GitHub to Rev 0.2 PCB. Only minor changes as the PCB outline has only slightly changed.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 22:31:06 »
This looks fantastic.  This is so close to the layout I want to build.  Does the image in the OP represent all the bottom row layouts that the PCB currently supports, or could it also support a bottom row like this?

127809-0

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:22:25 »
How about putting two columns of function keys on the left-hand side?
That would make the left and right sides the same width and thus make it easier to tent them at the same angle.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:52:58 »
That would make it the same as the Vergo Type.T with one row less.

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 11:26:45 »
moz r u planning to assemble these? or get aluminium cases done?
Realforce 87U

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:10:06 »
I'd appreciate if someone can design an aluminum case once the PCB is finalized as I have 0 skills with 3D CAD. I have designed the acrylic case, for the latest PCB revision and is uploaded on GitHub. I would be op3n to providing assembly service, obviously for US, Canada and Europe there are other people who provide assembly service and would be cheaper.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 07:31:31 »
This looks fantastic.  This is so close to the layout I want to build.  Does the image in the OP represent all the bottom row layouts that the PCB currently supports, or could it also support a bottom row like this?

(Attachment Link)

The image in the OP represents all the layouts possible for either sides, so you can mix a left and right side configuration, however those are the only possible layouts for each side. The bottom row split is 7.25 - 8.75, the one you have posted is 7.5 - 8.5. Also, the matrix has only 5 switch positions on the left side, your suggest layout has 6.

================================================

Last week it struck me, embarrassingly late, that these Freescale MCUs don't come pre-programmed with a bootloader and that whoever builds the board from scratch would require a flasher. I was about to go back to an AVR based solution as not having the bootloader preprogrammed was a deal breaker for me.

However, after about a week of debating and weighing things including discussions with Matt_, I've decided to go ahead with the Freescale MCU, I know it is another item required (Flasher) as well as another step, but looking at the scenario where a single board would be manufactured as well as GB, the bootloader being pr-programmed or not, is really not that a big deal.

PCB design with the WS2812B RGB LEDs is complete, I've also added the JTAG connector back on the board for easier flashing during manufacturing. Once the cleaning up of the silkscreen and some cleanup of traces (Differential pair routing) is done, I'll commit the changes onto GitHub.

I've placed an order for a WS2812B strip (With the Logic Level Shifter pre-assembled) and a Teensy 3.2, time to start work on the firmware end of things.

Changes made to PCB from v0.2:
- Added WS2812B RGB LEDs via a 74HCT1G125
- Removed the 0805 underglow LEDs
- Changed the MXAlps footprint to one without slots in favour of circular holes for better compatibility with various fabs, and also because it provided better copper area for soldering switches on the bottom row, where things get real crowded.
- Added 10-pin tag-connect header on the board
- Added three indicator LEDs
- Added some protection circuitry for ESD, overcurrent, overvoltage.
- Retraced some of the clock/signal and differential pair traces, so they are traced as they should be and same length.
- General minor changes here and there
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2016, 02:00:02 by MOZ »

Offline regack

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 16:29:27 »
I was about to ask why you had the buffer for the leds, and then I answered my own question when I realized that the MCU is 3.3v...  I'm a little slow.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 00:11:46 »
I was about to ask why you had the buffer for the leds, and then I answered my own question when I realized that the MCU is 3.3v...  I'm a little slow.

hahaha, not as slow as me, I  realised I'll need a flasher for MCU 1 month into designing the board. :P

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:29:00 »
Moz, really happy to see your project. I'm happy enough with my split board, but might actually get tempted enough to buy yours... if only there was a properly organized GB.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:31:07 »
I am highly interested in this project and I hope someone runs a group buy for this.
Even a sandwich style acrylic case would be entirely fine by me.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 02:03:12 »
I've got the Teensy 3.2 and FeatherWing Neopixel boards to start working on them, and infact I did try out the kiibohd controller firmware and it was working well as well as the FastLED library.

Now I have to find a way to integrate them, this is going to be a headache as kiibohd is in C and FastLED in C++.

Almost done on the PCB, there's been a number of changes since 0.2. I'm quite happy with it now.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 23:55:59 »

(Attachment Link)

The image in the OP represents all the layouts possible for either sides, so you can mix a left and right side configuration, however those are the only possible layouts for each side. The bottom row split is 7.25 - 8.75, the one you have posted is 7.5 - 8.5. Also, the matrix has only 5 switch positions on the left side, your suggest layout has 6.

Ahh, yes.  That was careless of me.  I miscounted the units and I have practically no experience reading PCBs.  I have to say, though, that this PCB is sexy.  The options put this layout above virtually all others in my book.  I used to think that a well-designed 60% layout would be best but the more I see the 65% layouts, the more I like them.  I have a feeling that 65% boards will be the next big trend in mechanicals.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 02:08:33 »
Definitely think 65% is superior to 60%.

I finished the PCB, but can't commit to GitHub on office network. Will be up when I get back home.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:14:31 »
PCB rev 0.3 updated on GitHub.

Changes made to PCB from v0.2:
- Replaced bottom LEDs with WS2812B RGB LEDs
- Changed the MXAlps footprint to one without slots in favour of circular holes for better compatibility with various fabs, and also because it provided better copper area for soldering switches on the bottom row, where things get real crowded.
- Added 10-pin tag-connect header on the board
- Added three indicator LEDs
- Added some protection circuitry for ESD, overcurrent, overvoltage.
- Retraced some of the clock/signal and differential pair traces, so they are traced as they should be and same length.
- General minor changes here and there
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:18:19 by MOZ »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:26:18 »
So.........

In a dramatic turn of events last week, I have now moved the project to an AVR based solution. The reason is that I started working on the firmware, however the WS2812B libraries I intended to use are C++, and the kiibohd controller firmware in C, I did try to get them to work together bud didn't. So without beating around the bush, I decided to go with QMK, as it has support for MCP23018 for split design as well as WS2812B LEDs and backlight LEDs.

Now the exciting news, I've spent my free time the last 3 days flashing a variant of the LUFA Mass Storage class bootloader and now I've got a ProMicro that runs the user application when plugged in and after grounding the RESET pin shows up as a Mass Storage device on the system. So all you have to do is replace the FLASH.BIN and replug the device. Voila!

I'm really happy about this, as it means if the user has a hex file, they don't need any special software on the system, so a web configurator like MassDrop/Infinity would be great with this solution. For a desktop application like JigOn/EasyAVR, generating the bin file and then sending it to the Mass Storage device shouldn't be an issue either. For the super-efficient, command-line to compile the bin file and copy it to the Mass Storage deivce should be trivial.

Now moving forward:
1. Redesign the PCB with new controller. Idea is to use microUSB/USB Type C to connect to PC on left side and USB Type C/USB3.0 to connect the two halves. I'm keen on using the Type C because I need 6 connections between the two halves, the Type C is designed for repeated connects, so it should be robust.
2. Redesign the case. With the bulk of the controller parts being on the left side and only the MCP23018 will be on the right side, I'm thinking to bring symmetry to the design, have the controller parts in two column width on the left of the left hand and remove the extra area on the top part of the PCBs.
3. Make the required changes to the QMK firmware to support the matrix, configure RGB LEDs, and configure backlight.
4. Make a configurator for the layout as well as LED options. Still to decide which one first, web or desktop? What do you think?

Offline geniekid

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:37:39 »
More
So.........

In a dramatic turn of events last week, I have now moved the project to an AVR based solution. The reason is that I started working on the firmware, however the WS2812B libraries I intended to use are C++, and the kiibohd controller firmware in C, I did try to get them to work together bud didn't. So without beating around the bush, I decided to go with QMK, as it has support for MCP23018 for split design as well as WS2812B LEDs and backlight LEDs.

Now the exciting news, I've spent my free time the last 3 days flashing a variant of the LUFA Mass Storage class bootloader and now I've got a ProMicro that runs the user application when plugged in and after grounding the RESET pin shows up as a Mass Storage device on the system. So all you have to do is replace the FLASH.BIN and replug the device. Voila!

I'm really happy about this, as it means if the user has a hex file, they don't need any special software on the system, so a web configurator like MassDrop/Infinity would be great with this solution. For a desktop application like JigOn/EasyAVR, generating the bin file and then sending it to the Mass Storage device shouldn't be an issue either. For the super-efficient, command-line to compile the bin file and copy it to the Mass Storage deivce should be trivial.

Now moving forward:
1. Redesign the PCB with new controller. Idea is to use microUSB/USB Type C to connect to PC on left side and USB Type C/USB3.0 to connect the two halves. I'm keen on using the Type C because I need 6 connections between the two halves, the Type C is designed for repeated connects, so it should be robust.
2. Redesign the case. With the bulk of the controller parts being on the left side and only the MCP23018 will be on the right side, I'm thinking to bring symmetry to the design, have the controller parts in two column width on the left of the left hand and remove the extra area on the top part of the PCBs.
3. Make the required changes to the QMK firmware to support the matrix, configure RGB LEDs, and configure backlight.

4. Make a configurator for the layout as well as LED options. Still to decide which one first, web or desktop? What do you think?

I feel like web configurators tend to be more limited when it comes to more complex configuration options, but maybe that's just because metalliqaz's EasyAVR has blown away every other configurator I've ever used (NerD, JigOn, TMK Keymap Generator, Ergodox Configurator, etc.).

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:43:23 »
EasyAVR is a beast!

Offline regack

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:44:21 »

If you're going to do both, I'd target web first for ease-of-use-for-everyone.   If it's running QMK/TMK, then even if the web version goes away as a result of loss of webserver/service etc... it can still be managed/maintained The Old Fashioned Way. 

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:51:29 »

If you're going to do both, I'd target web first for ease-of-use-for-everyone.   If it's running QMK/TMK, then even if the web version goes away as a result of loss of webserver/service etc... it can still be managed/maintained The Old Fashioned Way. 

Hmm, in terms of ease of use, I don't think the EasyAVR is hard at all, just download and run the exe. Granted the extra step of downloading the tool.

Offline regack

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 14:58:55 »

Hmm, in terms of ease of use, I don't think the EasyAVR is hard at all, just download and run the exe. Granted the extra step of downloading the tool.

Yup, extra step, downloading :D

When you said desktop, I thought you were talking about your own configurator, not EasyAVR... so in that case, getting it into there would probably be my first choice.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 22:40:44 »
I might go that route, reason is that it is quite popular and many users are likely to have a know how of the interface.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 15:54:06 »
Spent a decent time understanding wireless (BT) solution, USB charging, etc and have devised this circuit. Obviously it's not compulsory but going to be optional, so you can solder the extra components required and connect a UART Bluetooth module and at least 2.5V battery, so you can connect two series AA bateries or LiPo/Li-Ion, etc.

So what's happening here... MCP73831 is used for charging the battery connected on the "2PIN" connector. There are two LEDs for indicating charging and charged. VUSB is the 5V from USB connector.

The load sharing circuit ensures that if USB is not connected, VBAT goes to VINU (VIN unregulated) if however USB is connected, battery does not supply power to the keyboard but VUSB does. The Schottky diode is to ensure current doesn't flow from the battery into MCP73831's charge input supply.

The MCP16251 is used to boost the signal to 5V, it will boost both the power from battery and USB (Which will see some drop across fuse and Schottky diode). The regulated 5V then powers rest of the board. There is a jumper (Will switch to dipswitch) JP1 between the booster and VDD, so that the board can be powered off when using battery, debugging, connecting/disconnecting battery, etc.

And finally the "4PIN" connector can be used to connect to a Bluetooth module like the Bluefruit. There is p-channel mosfet so that the clean 5V goes to the bluetooth module, however when plugged into USB, it will not be powered. There is a switch (JP2) though that can be turned off so that the Bluetooth module will continue to be powered even when plugged into USB, this will allow the keyboard to be connected to two device (One via USB and other via BT).

One thing to note is that the backlight and RGB LEDs on the bottom of the board will be connected to a jumper that will allow you to tie the supply for the LEDs to VUSB or VDD, this is because LEDs will eat up a lot of juice from the battery. The charge indicator and other indicator LEDs (There are 4 of these on the board) will be connected to VDD.

Edit: Forgot to mention there is a jumper that will allow you to connect VUSB to VDD directly if not using the wireless capability. Also remember the keyboard is not 100% wireless as the two halves will be connected together via a USB 3.0 cable.

I'd appreciate comments and critic, also if some expert can review the circuit that would be wonderful.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2016, 16:07:18 by MOZ »

Offline harlw

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 16:00:25 »
Awesome MOZ, in for a GB on PCBs when that comes around!
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 17:58:13 »
Wow... this board goes to another level!
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|