Author Topic: 【IC】New layout keyboard idea Update! 02.09.2016  (Read 14959 times)

Offline Edde

Re: 【IC】New layout keyboard idea
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 10:34:03 »
1. I threw together this layout a few days ago, ignore the swedish
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/156bdc4d80260b1f0343f8b9e03b9eb4
The idea is that the right hand will have to travel less when using the mouse but you still have a numpad for it, I'm guessing it's also slightly more ergonomic because of the distance. Not so original I guess, just an idea I had.
2. Aluminium, I don't know about profile
3. Blanks, preferably GMK or SP
4. I don't use LED, so IDK

Hmmm...the layout cannot open but anyway, I was thinking a keyboard which the short cut keys are on the left hand side which can full release right hand but just an idea also haha. How about the NPKC or JTK caps? I know GMK is popular but what we can do right now is to consider the cooperation with these two factory. Just for the preliminary intention. Thanks for your ideas! ;D
Oh forgot about NPKC and JTC, it doesn't reallly matter for blanks as far as ISO is available. This is the layout I was talking about, hopefully it makes sense with my description. In short, more ergonomic because of better distance (I assume) and shorter travel distance for the right hand while still maintaining the numpad. As you also can see, blanks would be necessary.
(Attachment Link)
EDIT: Updated the layout, would something like this be possible?
(Attachment Link)
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/156bdc4d80260b1f0343f8b9e03b9eb4 Maybe it works now

Aha, that layout is pretty good, does it put the split the alpha keys and put the number keys in the middle? The updated layout minght makes the keyboard size be larger, it's not what we are thinking at beginning but I will take it's idea haha. ;D
The idea is simply to put the numpad in the middle, it's something I'd want to see more of.

Offline miya

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 10:41:44 »
i want this
That's my dream too! Here's to hoping someone makes a board to support it :)

Im never use 60% before because i really need arrow keys. Thats why i really like that layout have arrow keys
I have a 68% keyboard but the main reason for this layout is the case and keyset compatibility. If the PCB has underglow then you get more choices when it comes to transparent cases :)

Transparent case looks cool and I love it haha :p

Offline miya

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 10:44:51 »
I'm gonna go with 75% too. I feel like there isn't enough 75% boards available.

Not sure, It's looks like not too many, but everyone want one. :eek:

Offline miya

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 11:05:10 »
I've got two layout ideas, one which is my dream board that I'll never have the money to build (A) and one which is more accessible (B).

A. I don't use caps lock almost as much as I don't use right shift, so switching the two is a no-brainer. Esc moves to caps lock's location, but with some space between it and A to avoid accidental presses (which happens from time to time with my fat fingers). This layout also maintains compatibility with DSA keycap sets. Perfection. I only wish I figure out something else to put in place of the right win key. Maybe a second function key for a programmable layer? I don't know.
Show Image

B. 4 F keys with media controls. I don't use them, but it looked weird with esc hanging there by itself. I'm also not a fan of the short right shift. Meh.
Show Image

2. I like the look of aluminum, but I prefer the cost of acrylic.

3. Signature Plastics DSA PBT with white (WFJ) keys, red (RBH) escape , green (VAZ) enter and blue (BCT) arrows. Classy. I'd also love to see the Troubled Minds set in DSA.

4. RGB lighting doesn't matter to me at all. Had it, didn't use, done with it. That being said, a nice white LED is where it's at.

A looks nice. Yes I dont use right shift as well even some time I don't know what is use for haha.hmmm for my frist plan I want try start with Acylic case or just ABS case maybe and then I will go with aluminum case, aluminum case is expensive to me to starting new keyboard design in frist time :p :p :p. But I like your Idea A anyway and  noticed too.

I have one Trouble minds set haha I really really enjoy it and love it.Haha.

Yes Everyone said RGB as not very important . Anyway Please let us know if you have other ideas haha Thanks for you reply. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline miya

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 11:10:58 »
Another vote 75%.
Either no LEDs or just white LEDs with brightness control. (I don't need them for I use a desk lamp)
Full aluminium casing, flat not raised with optional feets.

Any Cherry profile keysets to match it in color would be nice.

Haha 100% people like 75% keyboard and also white LEDS are popular as well. I think Cherry profile keysets is the best choice. :p :p

Offline miya

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 11:13:37 »
All new keyboards should have split space bars.

Keycap makers need to start making more keys for the bottom row in Space Bar profile: both short space bars and 1.5u or 1.25u keys that are used for operators.

We need to get this guy appointed as the president of the United Nations.   Splitting the space bar is one of the best things to happen in keyboard design.

Hahah +1 in both of you said.

Offline Camelopard

Re: 【IC】New layout keyboard idea Update! 02.09.2016
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 13:03:01 »
Hi Guys!

Miya is back haha. BTW, becoz I'm not working for var** anymore, so I cannot help you guys for people who want to get one, very sorry about that.

And I just want to do IC for following questions:

1. What kind of keyboard layout you guys are interesting with? Or do you have any new ideas for keyboard layout?

2. What kind of case materials you prefer? (metal or acrylic) And then please show me your ideal keyboard profile if you have.

3. Which is your most wanted keycaps to put on the keyboard? (brand & color)

4. Do you think only double-shot keycaps is significant for the RGB lighting effect? or it's doesn't matter.

Hey, I collect all your suggestions and has finished three layouts :p Please have a look and choose the one you prefer.

Option A: we can have both arrow keys on left and right, just select which side is convient for you. And all keys can be programmable so don't care about the other side arrow keys.
Show Image

Option B: This one is more symmetry and has no extra gap between keys. But the right arrow key is straggered.
Show Image

Option C: This is the most symmetry one but the arrow keys might be a little bit controversial.
Show Image

Please sharing your idea in here if you can and we will see what we can do next. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ;D ;D ;D

Hmm option A ofcoz.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 09:51:05 »
The elements of my preferred keyboard are already available, what I would like is to get them as a set, maybe, depending on pricing.

Layout: HHKB with no splitted right shift and 6u space bar; because I prefer the elegance of the simplicity of a 59 keys board.
Case material: acrylic, low profile, or maybe aluminum.
Key caps: GMK, a low cost set designed specifically for the board.

Additionally, I'd like to see a sixty PCB, like the GON, but with TMK.

Again, there is nothing in my wish list that is not available already, the plate for my preferred layout can be cut at local laser cutters; which is what I am doing now, and the Nerd60 support it, I am not sure if other sixty PCBs do it as well, the cases are already available from some vendors; regarding key caps, most new GMK sets run by sensible leaders include both, a 6u space bar that support 18XX and HHKB clones and the proper keys for backspace, control and bottom row, as well. The only grip is that everything should be bought independently with the obligatory shipping costs and hassle of getting the stuff separated. I am not sure if there is interest for authentic MX HHKB clones, though, because there are a few options to put together a similar layout but with a 7u space bar, that, in my humble opinion is not the same.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 23:07:55 »

GMK or low cost.  Pick one ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 23:37:06 »

60 keys cost less than 100+, that's what I meant by a low cost GMK set.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 12:40:02 »

60 keys cost less than 100+, that's what I meant by a low cost GMK set.

But that's too few keys for a a 75% board :P

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 12:43:34 »

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 14:16:58 »
I prefer layouts that are compact but useful like 75% since they have arrow keys and not much need for function layers. For the case itself i prefer aluminum for the most part, simple but unique in design.