Author Topic: [GB] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us. [Closed]  (Read 55188 times)

Offline mustcode

Yup, a bit too late now. Wait for a used one or round 2 :thumb:

Offline rondg

No extras? I had to prioritize things when this ran and wasn't able to get one.

Offline mustcode

No extras? I had to prioritize things when this ran and wasn't able to get one.
Sorry, there won't be any extras. The only extras are the 2 (one of each color) that I ordered for myself, which I'm willing to give up in case something went wrong. Sorry, I'm really pushing the price down, so I couldn't afford too many extras. :-[

Offline mustcode

More pics from the factory in Discord. I'll post them here later tonight. :thumb:

Offline mustcode

http://imgur.com/gallery/XjmwelK
Here are the promised images for those that are not on Discord. Enjoy!

Offline Robosculpts

My only regret is not buying more pcb's to make different builds

Offline mustcode

My only regret is not buying more pcb's to make different builds
I ordered a few extra pcbs in case of failures, so I will update with what I got left after everything is shipped :thumb:

Offline Robosculpts

youre the man!

Offline Krionking

I'm hoping that if this goes well, that you might consider a round 2 in the future. Of course everything is up to you.

Offline mustcode

I'm hoping that if this goes well, that you might consider a round 2 in the future. Of course everything is up to you.
Thanks, I hope there'll be a round two as well :thumb:

Offline mustcode

The factory is already packing up the cases, they are quick!
So, I just paid the remaining balance and the cases should be on their way to me soon!

Offline Robosculpts

that was hella fast.

Offline mchanneh

• trying to reset terrible typing habits!
second that!^
Kailh Box Royals | Cherry Reds | Knockoff Blues

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
The factory is already packing up the cases, they are quick!
So, I just paid the remaining balance and the cases should be on their way to me soon!

Excellent!!! Can't wait to build this

Offline Axariel

Everything looks so great given the speed and the complexity of your design! I am extremely hyped!  :thumb:

Offline mustcode

The factory informed me that there were a few units that didn't pass their QC, so they are going to remake those and delay their schedule for a few days.
Welp, a little delay is fine for me as long as their QC is on point. ^-^

Offline mustcode

The PCB has been updated to support ISO as promised. Thanks agian Yiancar! I'll work on an ISO plate so that those who wanted ISO can get the dxf file and have it laser-cut. :thumb:

Offline mustcode

The factory has shipped the case  :cool:
Should reach me within a few weeks  :thumb:

Offline mustcode

Big update!
The shipment has arrived! I finally have the production units in my hands :D

So, to make sure that every part fits together properly, I've transplanted the prototype PCB into a production unit to test, and everything fits!

Compared to the prototype, we now have the final top and back cover, proper PCB mounting, and nice aluminium plate :thumb:

Now that we've confirmed that all parts fits together, all the PCBs will be green-lit for manufacturing. And while we wait for the PCBs, I'll work on the rest of the hardware and packaging stuff so that I can get all these Fat Boys off my living room as soon as possible :D

Offline biothermal

• Art
Big update!
The shipment has arrived! I finally have the production units in my hands :D

Damn! That's super exciting. Kudos to you, they're looking really good  :thumb:

Offline beekey

Wow, these look super nice. Sad I had to skip it back then. :(

Offline darkcl

Awesome, cannot wait to build it :thumb:

Offline mustcode

Another quick update. But first, I want to apologize for being a bit slow to update on geekhack compared to Discord. I haven't got a chance to sit down in front of my PC for a while, but discord is easy enough for me to update with my phone. :-[

I'm told that the PCB will be on its way to me soon, so hopefully, I can start doing all the packing and shipping within September. In the mean time, my friend over at Proji Keeb Look has made a build stream (Thai language) and a new assembly/typing video with all final parts except for the PCB. Enjoy  :thumb:

Offline mustcode

Re: [GB] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us. [Closed]
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 09:31:57 »
The PCBs has arrived! I'll need to flash the firmware before I can pack and ship them out. It'll try to do it as fast as I can. The finish line is very close, and thanks you all for bearing with me all this time. I promise to not be slow on this! :D

Offline mustcode

Re: [GB] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us. [Closed]
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 14:33:13 »
All controllers have been flashed! I randomly tested around 10 sets, which all worked correctly. Next is packing and figuring out the shipping cost. I'll start invoicing for the shipping cost once I figure out the shipping estimates  :thumb:

Offline mustcode

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 14:21:59 »
I've started sending out invoices for the shipping cost. I've only invoiced about 1/3 of all participants, so don't be alarmed if you haven't received it yet.
And since I can't carry 30+ boxes to the post office by myself, my plan is to visit the post office a couple of times a week starting this Saturday and send out as many units as I can each visit.
I'm sorry I can't do this fast enough as I can only do this after I got off work and on weekends, but I'll keep you guys updated on the progress as much as I can :)

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
I've started sending out invoices for the shipping cost. I've only invoiced about 1/3 of all participants, so don't be alarmed if you haven't received it yet.
And since I can't carry 30+ boxes to the post office by myself, my plan is to visit the post office a couple of times a week starting this Saturday and send out as many units as I can each visit.
I'm sorry I can't do this fast enough as I can only do this after I got off work and on weekends, but I'll keep you guys updated on the progress as much as I can :)

Awesome. Do what you need to but I’m def excited to see that invoice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline snoofy

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 02:11:47 »
any update?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 07:12:45 »
any update?
Hey! Sorry that I haven't been updating this thread. I'm still in the process of shipping all the orders.
24 out of 36 units has shipped, only 12 units to go before this GB concludes :thumb:

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 06:31:10 »
just got mine in today!!

Will likely show on stream on Sunday although I think I'll need build instructions as there is a lot of parts :D

Offline mustcode

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 06:47:16 »
That is awesome to see! :D
I should have some materials that are useful as a build guide, I'll gather them up and post it here later tonight.  :thumb:

Can't wait to see more people receiving and building their Fat Boys! :D

Offline mustcode

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 07:23:57 »
Btw, the last 3 units goes out tomorrow.  :thumb:

Offline mustcode

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 10:13:31 »
Here are the best reference materials that I have for those that are looking for build instructions:

This video by my good friend Proji Keeb Look is probably the best one. I recommend watching this first:

And here are the steps of how I build:

First, do the switch-plate-pcb as you normally do, and once you're done, attach the mounting bracket like this:
254194-0

Next, attach the controller board to the plastic mounting and then to the matrix pcb:
254196-1

Next, place the post pins in the case as follows:
254208-2

Next, is the most difficult part. Carefully place the switch-plate-pcb sandwich into the case, lining up the holes on the mounting bracket with the pins in the case. I usually try to line up the bottom brackets before the top brackets. Once the bottom is in, the top is easy to do because you have extra space at the top of the case to work with.
Make sure every pins goes in all the way as pictured below, you may need a tweezer to push the pins through all the holes:
254200-3

Screw in the controller mount to the case:
254202-4

Attach your preferred USB cable:
254204-5

Close him up and that's it! Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions  :thumb:
254206-6
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 October 2020, 10:19:27 by mustcode »

Offline mustcode

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 00:44:32 »
All units shipped! Tracking updated, this group buy is finally coming to an end. I will continue to provide support for any issues that you guys might have with your unit and anything that you might need if you plan to mod your Fat Boys

Also, I apologize in advance if your unit is not flawless. I have checked every unit and I've kept the two with the most visible defects. If something slipped my eyes and you found a major defect on your unit, please let me know and I'll be happy to swap it out with what I have or even provide full or partial refund in the case that you are unhappy with it.

While running this GB almost solo was A LOT of work, the keyboard that dreamed of in all you guys' hands and desks are all the rewards that I need :D

Thanks you all from the bottom of my heart for being a part of this project.  :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 October 2020, 02:45:52 by mustcode »

Offline snoofy

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 22:33:01 »
I recived keyboard today!

But I think, someones are droped my package during delivery.

So my fat boy's under left was dameged :eek:

Can I take the after service?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 22:41:03 »
Ouch! Can I see the damage? I only have one silver left on me with a minor defect on it. My black one was already sent out as replacement for a similar issue. But, I'll see what I can do! :)

Offline snoofy

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 22:49:27 »
Ouch! Can I see the damage? I only have one silver left on me with a minor defect on it. My black one was already sent out as replacement for a similar issue. But, I'll see what I can do! :)

Offline mustcode

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 22:58:20 »
Wow, that box went through hell! Alright, no worries, I'll send you a pm and we'll figure something out  :thumb:

Offline snoofy

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 00:55:33 »
Wow, that box went through hell! Alright, no worries, I'll send you a pm and we'll figure something out  :thumb:

Oh! god! thank you so much!

I wait for you :thumb: >:D

Offline mustcode

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 00:58:53 »

Oh! god! thank you so much!

I wait for you :thumb: >:D
Already sent a pm to you :)