Author Topic: [GB] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us. [Closed]  (Read 55187 times)

Offline mustcode

Hi all!

Today is the day! Thank you for waiting patiently for all this time. My first GB, my first custom design, the MC-76K "Fat Boy" is available for order. If you've been following the development in the IC thread (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101040.0), then you should already know most of the details, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the support that you guys have been giving me. If this is the first time that you hear about this project then, please look at the details carefully as it is a little different from other customs.

First let's take a look at some renders and the prototype. Thanks to Proji Keep Look (https://www.youtube.com/user/proboy84) for the nice pictures and typing videos :D

This keyboard was designed with two goals in my mind: I want it to last, and want it to be customizable.

When I said I want it "to last" I mean 20 or 30 years from now, I want to still be able to use this keyboard, just like how we're still using the Model F or even the Beamspring.

When I said I want it to be customizable, I wanted this to be a platform for us for experiment with switches, plates, controllers, mountings, etc.
Next, I'll try to explain each of the design decisions that I made to satisfy the two main goals of this project.

First, the Fat Boy has covers on the top and back instead of the bottom like most keyboards. This design allows the keyboard to be easily opened up so that you can get inside of it with minimum effort. No keyboard flipping required (unless you want to mess with bumpons).

The Fat Boy comes standard with CNCed top-cover with side-mount screws to hide it from view for aesthetic reasons, and a laser-cut friendly back cover, which can be customized easily to support any custom connectors that you desire. A new poodle-shaped connector becomes a new standard 44 years from now? No problem, just replace the back cover with the cutouts for the new poodle-shaped connector.

But wait!, there are more you can do with the covers. The Fat Boy also has extra screw holes to support laser-cut top cover. This allows you to easily customize the top cover to support different layouts, leds, knobs, connectors, etc. As you can see, the prototype is taking some advantage of this feature :)

Here are some concept renders from an old model to get the idea across:

Next, the Fat Boy has a unique mounting system that allows you to easily experiment with different way to cushion your plate. I'll let the picture explain this one. This allows you to easily swap out the included silicon o-rings with many other materials. This also allows you to easily replace the standard o-rings 20 years from now when they finally lose their elasticity. No worries about custom gaskets disintegrating in the future.

Next, the PCB with a removable controller. This totally separate the matrix from the controller. Just like how the controller on the Model F and the Beamspring works, you can very easily remove the controller from the matrix. This is done not only so that 44 years down the line you can replace the controller to support the now standard poodle-shaped connector, but also for us modders to be able to easily change the matrix for new layouts or new switches. Since you can have more matrix than controllers, you can have a matrix of linears and a matrix of clickies, and switch between them in minutes.

Okay, now that're familiar with the goods, here's the specs and prices:

- Price per kit is 460USD + 5% to cover Paypal fees + actual shipping
- I can accept Payment through Paypal only
- MoQ is 20, no hard maximum, but I don't think I can handle much more than 50 units, so FCFS may apply when I have to make the cut-of.
- At 50 units I'll be able to absorb the Paypal Fee
- You will get an invoice for the order after MoQ is met
- You will get another invoice for the shipping cost once the keyboard is ready to be shipped
- The shipping will be from where I live, Bangkok, Thailand.

- Each kit includes:
   - Case
       - CNCed 6063 aluminium
       - Two anodize color choices: Silver or Black
       - Top cover (CNCed with side-mount screws)
        - Back cover (Laser-cut)
        - 5.6 degree typing angle
    - Plate
       - Aluminium
       - Support MX switches only
       - Support one layout only (check layout picture below)
       - Silver only
   - 1 set of PCBs (matrix + controller)
      - Matrix support MX or Alps switches
      - QMK
      - USB-C
      - Holtite friendly
      - No RGB, sorry :(
   - All the required hardware: screws, o-rings, bumpons.

- Extra plate+PCB set is 60USD per set (plate + matrix + controller)
   - 35USD for just an extra plate+matrix PCB
   - At 50 units of extra plate+matrix PCB, price will be reduced to 30USD

- Estimated timeline:
   - GB period 02-May-2020 - 02-June-2020
   - Production time + shipping to me for packaging 60-75 days
   - Packaging and shipping 15 days

Now, on to some less positive details:

The plate currently does not support ISO, which means ISO is not "officially" supported, yet. This is due to my own lack of confidence and I'm very sorry to all the ISO users that are let down. I have never used ISO before, and I want to reduce my chances of making costly mistakes in the production units, so I've decided to not risk it. However, I've already asked Yiancar, the PCB designer to add ISO support to the PCB, so if the project is a success, I'll do a special run of ISO plates for those who want it.

And finally, a disclaimer, please read this carefully before committing to purchase:

I could not get a "high-end" machine-shop to work with me on this project. I'm not very active socially, so my connections in the community isn't the best, and because this is a low-moq project that is quite difficult to machine (or so I'm told), not a lot of shops are interested in working with me. So, for better or worse, I decided to go back to work with the shop that created the prototype, which was done quite well and I have high hopes that the production units will be even better. It is a machine-shop in China that is not specialized in or has any experience in making custom keyboards. So, please expect a solid workhorse keyboard that looks and feels great and comes with a great PCB; but please please don't expect absolute perfection in the cosmetic department. Also, please don't be mistaken that I'm asking you to accept tons of ugly imperfections, because I don't want that as well, but I am asking you up-front to accept some minor imperfections. Please don't see this keyboard as a precious art-piece, but a functional tool that is meant for years and years of daily use. I own many custom keyboards, I know how they should look, and I'm not setting my bar low, so what I can promise you is by taking your money, I'm responsible to deliver a custom keyboard worth that amount.

Now that you've read EVERYTHING, here's the link to order form:
https://forms.gle/JvFsjKGLPYoA5EeB9

Thank you once again for all your support, interests and patients, especially during this hard time. Stay safe and healthy. I hope this is the beginning of something awesome for us keyboard lovers!

- Maethee "Eddie" Chongchitnant (a.k.a. mustcode)
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 02:11:09 by mustcode »

Offline mustcode

Re: [GB] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 04:29:41 »
5/13/2020
Some invoices have been sent out :)
You can check your order status here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nhCivzmeaHlIKTPpzk6lYt_TLM5uaPaDWQbu7jDKEMw/edit?usp=sharing
I update this manually, so please let me know if you have any questions or if I made any mistakes.

6/03/2020
Group buy is now closed. Will be waiting for invoices to be paid (or canceled) and I'll give the final count for the order to the factory.

6/08/2020
The factory has accepted the order and the quote is as expected. Funds will be added to my credit card and put down the deposit tomorrow.

6/09/2020
Deposit is paid to the factory. They should be able to start production soon after the payment is cleared for them.

7/07/2020
Factory started packing the cases, full balance is paid for and the factory should begin shipping the case to me soon.

8/06/2020
The shipment has arrived at my home! I've built a production unit with the prototype PCB to confirm that everything fits together properly, and everything fits!
So next we'll go ahead and order all the PCBs and while we wait for the PCBs to be manufactured, I'll prepare the rest of the packaging.

9/06/2020
The PCBs has arrived and flashed. Randomly tested around 10 sets, which all worked. Next is packing and figuring out the shipping cost. I'll start invoicing for the shipping cost once I figure out the shipping estimates :)

9/17/2020
I've started sending out invoices for the shipping cost. I've only invoiced about 1/3 of all participants, so don't be alarmed if you haven't received it yet.
And since I can't carry 30+ boxes to the post office by myself, my plan is to visit the post office a couple of times a week starting this Saturday and send out as many units as I can each visit.
I'm sorry I can't do this fast enough as I can only do this after I got off work and on weekends, but I'll keep you guys updated on the progress as much as I can :)

10/22/2020
Almost forgot to update this. All units shipped :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2020, 15:42:00 by mustcode »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:10:28 »
Approved :thumb:

(Image attachments are pretty broken right now site-wide, please upload pics to an external image hosting service and update the OP)

Offline fcoury

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:17:56 »
This looks fantastic!

Offline mustcode

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:19:47 »
Approved :thumb:

(Image attachments are pretty broken right now site-wide, please upload pics to an external image hosting service and update the OP)
Thank you so much! I'm going to fix the images right now  :thumb:
edit: images fixed!
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:45:36 by mustcode »

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:48:16 »

Show Image

Show Image

Woww some of these photos are bonkers. Really excited by how that proto turned out.

Offline Jaltr

I'll be joining this in a couple weeks or so.. hope the 50 units arent out by then

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 12:12:20 »
Congrats to mustcode on the GB launch, just filled out my GB entry! Been a great time following the IC, and I can't wait to build this!

Offline mustcode

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 12:44:49 »
Thank you! I'll do my best to make the Fat Boy live up to your expectations :thumb:

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 12:47:48 »
Well, I'm in

Offline f1

You suggested mustcode, now we must code on this don't we!
All the best with the GB!

Sent from my smartphone which I have. Case, charger and everything.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 21:43:24 »
In! 60% with F-row is what I have been looking for :cool:
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 00:49:50 »
I've been keeping up to date with this project since it's initial IC post. Hope to get one next week if I can, if I can't congratulations on finally getting this project in GB phase and good luck!

Offline beekey

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 01:29:30 »
This is such a cool project. Will sell some unused stuff and get one of these.  :thumb:

Offline mchanneh

• trying to reset terrible typing habits!
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 07:47:51 »
Looks great - I'm in the GB!
Kailh Box Royals | Cherry Reds | Knockoff Blues

Offline mustcode

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 11:18:07 »
Wow, thank you everyone! We are already only a few units away from meeting our moq of 20! We can do this!!

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 11:20:58 »
Do I need this board? No, I do not. Do I want this board because it’s a ****in chonker and cool as hell? Yes, yes I do.

Offline mchanneh

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 18:28:44 »
Hi mustcode

Quick Q- while there are extra pcb and matrices available to purchase, I can see no additional plates offered... does this assume that the switches need to be pcb mounted/5pin?

Thank you

Offline mustcode

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 21:09:08 »
Hi mustcode

Quick Q- while there are extra pcb and matrices available to purchase, I can see no additional plates offered... does this assume that the switches need to be pcb mounted/5pin?

Thank you
Doh! You're right, I completely forgot about extra plates. I'm going to fix it soon, thank you for pointing it out. The board should allow for both PCB-mount and plate-mount switches :thumb:

Offline mustcode

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 21:31:57 »
Post fixed, the plate is included when you purchase an extra PCB set or matrix PCB. Sorry for the confusion :)

Offline mchanneh

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 08:43:26 »
Ah perfect - thanks a lot!

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 12:17:17 »
Would it be possible to get a frosted acrylic top?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 13:48:55 »
Would it be possible to get a frosted acrylic top?
Yes, all the CAD files for this project is available for you, so you can go to your preferred laser-cutting service and order the top cover, back cover, or plates in any material that's available to you. Laser cutting is not expensive, so you won't even need to spend that much.

Offline Softkore

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 23:08:21 »
How thick is the case, and how much does it weight? I'm tempted, but at that price point and with all the disclaimers about possible cosmetic issues I'm also super hesitant. I love the look, but I didn't see an example of the top case with side screws with the prototype?

Also, is the grey color in the renderings closer to what we could expect from the grey anodizing? I'm assuming the prototype was not anodized
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 23:19:23 by Softkore »

Offline mustcode

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 23:21:04 »
How thick is the case, and how much does it weight? I'm tempted, but at that price point and with all the disclaimers about possible cosmetic issues I'm also super hesitant. I love the look, but I didn't see an example of the top case with side screws with the prototype?
The case is pretty think, a little bit over 3.5cm at the tallest part and around 2cm at the front before it chamfered down to about 1cm.
It's very heavy, especially for its size. Fully built, the prototype is almost 3kg. And yes, you're right, the prototype only have the laser-cut top, the top cover with side-screws is quite expensive to make so I decided to only use the laser-cut top for the prototype. :)

Offline mustcode

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 23:29:35 »
Also, is the grey color in the renderings closer to what we could expect from the grey anodizing? I'm assuming the prototype was not anodized

The prototype is anodized, just not colored. If you choose silver, I expect it to have the same color as the prototype. The color in the rendering is not what you'll get. It was just a grey-ish shade that I pick for the rendering in CAD, sorry if that was misleading.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 07:47:04 »
the top cover with side-screws is quite expensive to make so I decided to only use the laser-cut top for the prototype. :)

So is that the version we'll be getting in the Group Buy? I must admit I was always confused by how many options the board presented  :p

Offline mustcode

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 08:17:59 »
the top cover with side-screws is quite expensive to make so I decided to only use the laser-cut top for the prototype. :)

So is that the version we'll be getting in the Group Buy? I must admit I was always confused by how many options the board presented  :p
Yes, you'll be getting the top cover with side-screws as standard. These side-screws top are CNCed, so they are expensive to make just one, so I wanted to include as standard, because it'll be expensive to do it afterwards with low volume. On the other hand, the laser-cut top like the prototype are cheap to make and anyone can make their own whenever they want. The reason I included the support for the laser-cut top are so that those who want to mod the board with different layouts can make their own top cover. Also, the top cover wasn't critical to the prototype so I decided to save some funds by going with just laser-cut top cover.
I hope this clears up some of the confusions, sorry for the confusing detail ("-_-)

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 08:27:29 »

Yes, you'll be getting the top cover with side-screws as standard. These side-screws top are CNCed, so they are expensive to make just one, so I wanted to include as standard, because it'll be expensive to do it afterwards with low volume. On the other hand, the laser-cut top like the prototype are cheap to make and anyone can make their own whenever they want. The reason I included the support for the laser-cut top are so that those who want to mod the board with different layouts can make their own top cover. Also, the top cover wasn't critical to the prototype so I decided to save some funds by going with just laser-cut top cover.
I hope this clears up some of the confusions, sorry for the confusing detail ("-_-)
That definitely clears it up for me. Thank you!

Offline Krionking

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 12:41:22 »
I'm so sad I don't have the funds for this board as of now. This would be one of my favorite boards, but alas. I think its a super cool idea though. That its a board built around the idea that you should customise it yourself.

Offline Softkore

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 09:39:41 »
Are there hotswap sockets on the PCB? I'm assuming not because I didn't see it mentioned, but it seems like a natural fit for a keyboard that's aimed at modders

I know holtites are an option but have heard pretty negative things about them and their longevity in comparison to Kailh's sockets

Offline Jaltr

Are there hotswap sockets on the PCB? I'm assuming not because I didn't see it mentioned, but it seems like a natural fit for a keyboard that's aimed at modders

I know holtites are an option but have heard pretty negative things about them and their longevity in comparison to Kailh's sockets
I mean, you could mod it yourself and add sockets.

Offline Softkore

Ahh I see, I could just buy Kailh sockets and solder them onto the PCB? Please forgive my ignorance. I know holtites can be added to many PCBs (all PCBs? I know it's based on hole size), and I've heard of Mill Max sockets - but I was under the impression that Kailh sockets had to be added at design time.

Offline Jaltr

Ahh I see, I could just buy Kailh sockets and solder them onto the PCB? Please forgive my ignorance. I know holtites can be added to many PCBs (all PCBs? I know it's based on hole size), and I've heard of Mill Max sockets - but I was under the impression that Kailh sockets had to be added at design time.
No worries, man. Mill max sockets are way better and sturdier than Kailh sockets. They have a longer lifetime and will last a bunch more (not sure about the amount of insertion and pull outs).

Not sure about which size mill max sockets would fit. OP, could you tell us which size would be the better option? Between 0305 or 7305 that is.

Offline ab042896

Yes, Kailh sockets must be designed into the PCB, so it is not possible to add these after the fact. Millmax sockets are much superior to holtites, but once you solder them in, they are somewhat comparable to Kailh sockets.

Offline Softkore

No worries, man. Mill max sockets are way better and sturdier than Kailh sockets. They have a longer lifetime and will last a bunch more (not sure about the amount of insertion and pull outs).

Thank you very much for the information, I didn't know Mill Max were better than Kailh - clearly I have no experience with either :p

That's awesome news for me. Assuming I can just solder Mill Max sockets in there, I am so in. I love the design and aesthetic of this case. My only wish is that it could be the same color as the render. In the back of my mind I was pondering if it would be possible to re-anodize it in the future but I have done zero research into whether that's even possible or how insanely expensive it might be.

Offline Softkore

Yes, Kailh sockets must be designed into the PCB, so it is not possible to add these after the fact. Millmax sockets are much superior to holtites, but once you solder them in, they are somewhat comparable to Kailh sockets.

Thanks very much for the information. I need to do some more research. Can you expand on "somewhat comparable"? I'm very interested to hear people's opinions and experience.

I've wondered if it might be possible to have a custom PCB manufactured since we'd have access to the CAD files so that I could put in some contactless switches or something. But again, I'm not sure how expensive (or even possible) that would be. I know everything in the keyboard world is much cheaper in bulk haha

Offline Jaltr

Thank you very much for the information, I didn't know Mill Max were better than Kailh - clearly I have no experience with either

That's awesome news for me. Assuming I can just solder Mill Max sockets in there, I am so in. I love the design and aesthetic of this case. My only wish is that it could be the same color as the render. In the back of my mind I was pondering if it would be possible to re-anodize it in the future but I have done zero research into whether that's even possible or how insanely expensive it might be.
I've never tried mill max sockets, but learned a lot about them through people that recommended them to others. Just passing my limited knowledge about them haha.

If there's a factory near you that do anodizing, you'll be fine. Maybe you could cerakote it even? I dont think it costs much and also depends on size and complexity of what you'd like. Options are endless!

Offline ab042896

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 10:30:56 »
Thanks very much for the information. I need to do some more research. Can you expand on "somewhat comparable"? I'm very interested to hear people's opinions and experience.

I've wondered if it might be possible to have a custom PCB manufactured since we'd have access to the CAD files so that I could put in some contactless switches or something. But again, I'm not sure how expensive (or even possible) that would be. I know everything in the keyboard world is much cheaper in bulk haha

I suppose it's difficult to quantify, but Kailh's are more foolproof IMO. Holtites aren't soldered onto the PCB, which can lead to crooked or loose switches, it seems to be dependent on your given switch, PCB, etc.. Millmax sockets are nice because you can take virtually any non-hotswap board if you solder these guys in properly, and your switches should stay in place quite nicely. You can also feature various layouts that are impossible with Kailh sockets since they would overlap each other.

But making your own PCB is not as expensive or difficult as you may think, even at low quantities. You can start by check out ai03's PCB design guide here: https://wiki.ai03.me/, it's very well done. I've used JLCPCB to order my own PCBs before, min order is 5 PCB, which for a near full size layout cost me only around $35 CAD.

PM if you'd like any more info, don't want to derail this GB thread too much ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 10:35:25 by ab042896 »

Offline mustcode

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 10:34:39 »
Hi, I'm sorry I'm a bit late to the conversation. Yea, I wanted the PCB to support Alps, because that'll be something that's difficult to add afterwards. While Kliah sockets are nice, but I decided to have Alps and use MillMax or holtites for hotswap rather than no Alps and use Kliah sockets. I hope that's the right decisions 😉

Offline Softkore

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 10:46:31 »
But making your own PCB is not as expensive or difficult as you may think, even at low quantities. You can start by check out ai03's PCB design guide here: https://wiki.ai03.me/, it's very well done. I've used JLCPCB to order my own PCBs before, min order is 5 PCB, which for a near full size layout cost me only around $35 CAD.

PM if you'd like any more info, don't want to derail this GB thread too much ;D

Awesome reference there, I've never seen that guide. Thanks very much for the offer, I'll shoot you a PM soon

Hi, I'm sorry I'm a bit late to the conversation. Yea, I wanted the PCB to support Alps, because that'll be something that's difficult to add afterwards. While Kliah sockets are nice, but I decided to have Alps and use MillMax or holtites for hotswap rather than no Alps and use Kliah sockets. I hope that's the right decisions 😉

I think that is probably the right decision - it maximizes the number of switches that are possible to use in the stock PCB. I doubt I'll personally ever use Alps but I appreciate having the option to do so in the future. Do you know which size Mill Max socket is more compatible with this board?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 11:20:53 »

I think that is probably the right decision - it maximizes the number of switches that are possible to use in the stock PCB. I doubt I'll personally ever use Alps but I appreciate having the option to do so in the future. Do you know which size Mill Max socket is more compatible with this board?
Hmm, may be Yiancar can answer this better than me since he designed the PCB, but I've not tried MillMax, however, I've used Holtites with the prototype and it fits pretty well. A little on the loose side, so a touch of solder will help if you find some misbehave switches.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 11:34:20 »

Ok, I just remembered I had some MillMax left over, so I tried and it fits very well. I don't remember the size of it, but these were MillMax that I got from one of the MillMax GB a while ago, so I imagine it's the "usual size" that most custom PCBs used

Offline Softkore

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 11:41:13 »
Ok, I just remembered I had some MillMax left over, so I tried and it fits very well. I don't remember the size of it, but these were MillMax that I got from one of the MillMax GB a while ago, so I imagine it's the "usual size" that most custom PCBs used

Awesome, well looks like it's time for me to fill out the GB form :D Now to try to contain my excitement during the wait for production

One more question for now, then I'll give it a rest for a while. Does the laser cut back plate come with a hole for the USB cable as pictured in the renderings?

I also noticed that, because of the way the cable plugs into the controller, if you were to accidentally pull on the cable (because you're a klutzy dumbass like me) there might be potential to damage the controller or PCB. I wonder if there is any technique or rig I could use on the interior to transfer the point of stress onto the cable and away from the controller.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 11:54:26 »

Awesome, well looks like it's time for me to fill out the GB form :D Now to try to contain my excitement during the wait for production

One more question for now, then I'll give it a rest for a while. Does the laser cut back plate come with a hole for the USB cable as pictured in the renderings?

I also noticed that, because of the way the cable plugs into the controller, if you were to accidentally pull on the cable (because you're a klutzy dumbass like me) there might be potential to damage the controller or PCB. I wonder if there is any technique or rig I could use on the interior to transfer the point of stress onto the cable and away from the controller.
Yes, the back cover will come like the prototype, but in aluminum, but if you worry that you will damage the controller by pulling too hard on the cable, you can tie a couple of zip tie on the cable just before it exits the case to act like a stopper, and that should stop the cable from going too far out  and prevent any force going all the way to the controller. Or you can get a short usb-c male to female cable and mount the female on the back cover if you want a more traditional usb port :)

Offline Softkore

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 12:15:49 »
Yes, the back cover will come like the prototype, but in aluminum, but if you worry that you will damage the controller by pulling too hard on the cable, you can tie a couple of zip tie on the cable just before it exits the case to act like a stopper, and that should stop the cable from going too far out  and prevent any force going all the way to the controller. Or you can get a short usb-c male to female cable and mount the female on the back cover if you want a more traditional usb port :)

I think ultimately I'd like to mount some sort of connector on the back cover, but probably something more fun and exotic than USB. My concern is getting it mounted in a way that looks clean and professional. The zip tie method sounds pretty brilliant in the short term.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 12:19:12 »

I think ultimately I'd like to mount some sort of connector on the back cover, but probably something more fun and exotic than USB. My concern is getting it mounted in a way that looks clean and professional. The zip tie method sounds pretty brilliant in the short term.

It could be a lot of fun to make all sorts of back plates for this board, I think that's the fun of it. Even if they don't really look polished, it's on the part of the board that you don't usually see.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 13:26:25 »

It could be a lot of fun to make all sorts of back plates for this board, I think that's the fun of it. Even if they don't really look polished, it's on the part of the board that you don't usually see.

Still on the fence about the board but if I do get in on this, Jae is going to be starting his carbon fiber gb for plates and whatnot. I'm thinking about getting the top and back clear acrylic done in carbon fiber. I'm sure i'd just get the plate done in carbon fiber as well. yeah man, i really want this board. Maybe even do some kind of slider or knob in the top area.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 18:03:39 »
Great news! We have reached our MOQ!
The Fat Boy will be made! :D

Offline Softkore

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 19:27:10 »
Awesome! I'm stoked  ;D  Pretty early in the GB to hit MOQ too. Can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy, although not looking forward to shipping to the US. You said the proto was a whopping ~3kg without the CNCed top  :eek: :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2020, 19:38:33 by Softkore »