Author Topic: What's your favorite pointing device?  (Read 92878 times)

Offline rdjack21

What's your favorite pointing device?
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 21:40:47 »
Ripster I think you have decided to keep those Lego's. You keep coming up with new ones pretty much everyday.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 25 September 2009, 07:53:57 »
I think it might be time to reconsider this whole retirement thing, ripster.  There seems to be an issue in productively using your time.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 25 September 2009, 09:48:41 »
his wife goes to work and he stays home to play with his legos ;-D

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline d2v

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 11:57:20 »
Lately, I have been toying with mousekeys using the number pad, instead of moving over to the mouse. I cranked it to full speed and full acceleration, with Ctrl and Shift modifier options for speed up and slow down. How is your experience with mousekeys, lads ?
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 12:56:45 »
Quote from: d2v;123124
Lately, I have been toying with mousekeys using the number pad, instead of moving over to the mouse. I cranked it to full speed and full acceleration, with Ctrl and Shift modifier options for speed up and slow down. How is your experience with mousekeys, lads ?

Wow! I haven't used the keyboard to control the mouse since I had an Atari ST! It was very useful back then given that sometimes and sometimes you'd have a joystick plugged into the mouse port and it was really really hard to unplug and plug accessories in the early Atari STs. It sometimes took over a minute to wiggle one of those Atari 2600 style joystick plugs into an empty port and get a good enough fit so that it was recognizec by the computer.

A strange part of using the keyboard for mousing on the ST was that you got computer generated clicks whenever a key was repeated so you'd be moving the mouse around to the sound of "cleek cleek cleek cleek cleek..."
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 17:58:16 »
Quote from: d2v;123124

I bet more people would use it if MS explained how it bloody worked! I've always meant to learn it but been put off by its funny behaviour.

The good old BBC comes to the rescue!...

Now I just need to work out why the Alt-Shift-NumLock toggle has no effect, and how to use it with tenkeyless boards.

Offline d2v

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 20:12:40 »
Quote from: Rajagra;123239
I bet more people would use it if MS explained how it bloody worked! I've always meant to learn it but been put off by its funny behaviour.

The good old BBC comes to the rescue!...

Now I just need to work out why the Alt-Shift-NumLock toggle has no effect, and how to use it with tenkeyless boards.

I'm sure more people could benefit from using it. Perhaps we can create an article on GH wiki, explaining how to use it. What say ?

Regarding the tenkeyless boards, I am not sure how it will work. It surely doesn't work on my laptop keyboard (which has the Fn key and the number pad printed on 7890-uiop-jkl;-m,./ keys )
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 20:40:29 »
Mousekeys works on my TypeMatrix 2030. And my Cherry G84-4100.
Also works on my Realforce 87U, though I need to configure it to use Mousekeys when NumLock is *On* because of how the numpad is enabled.

It doesn't work with AutoHotkey simulating the numpad, although AHK has its own ways of moving the mouse I believe.

Offline konz

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 14 October 2009, 15:27:35 »
I used MouseKeys on and off, sometimes quite a lot, before switching to Datahand.

There is an explanation in (Windows XP) Help and Support Center, type MouseKeys in the search box.  However, it is pretty mangled since it, like most of the material in Help and Support Center, was automatically extracted from .hlp/.chm files.  I once managed to open the original file, but have totally forgotten how.

In any case, the eight keys surrounding the 5 button move the mouse in the corresponding direction.  Clicking is accomplished by pressing 5, double-clicking is +. For selecting and dragging, button make is 0, button break is . (period).  There is some internal state that determines which mouse button is currently mapped these keys, initialized to left button.  This state is changed to right button with -, to both buttons with *, and back to left button with /.

Offline d2v

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 16 October 2009, 10:41:26 »
I am now using mousekeys for all casual browsing and light clicking work (office apps). The only time I need to use a mouse is when I use the meshing software at work, which involves precise clicking and selection (much like the photoshop).
I have noticed that most of the daily clicking is left button alone, very rarely does one have to select right click (quite clumsy, as we are used to mice).

Offline d2v

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 16 October 2009, 11:13:49 »
Quote from: webwit;126000
I use the mouseless browsing extension for Firefox which is even better.

You mean, vimperator ?

EDIT: Ah, I see it. It is Mouseless Browsing that you were referring to. Looks useful. Does it work similar to what Lotus Notes does when you press Alt ? (i.e. show numbers for every link on the screen)
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2009, 11:18:51 by d2v »

Offline d2v

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 16 October 2009, 12:20:18 »
Quote from: webwit;126051
I don't know. The first and last time I used Lotus Notes was 14 years ago. Why won' t it die?

IBM are the masters of the lock-in strategy. Probably inspired the likes of Microsoft.
Lotus Notes seems like a great idea in theory... its the implementation that has given it the reputation.

Offline RFJunkie

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 20 October 2009, 06:31:33 »
Wolf King Trooper gaming mouse.

I use it for CAD/CAM,  but its the most comfortable mouse I have found so far.
I can sit and use the computer at work for 8 to 10 hours programming and drawing parts for the CNC machines without my had falling asleep, like it used to with the cheap crap the IT guy there would get us to use.(OEM Microsoft).. Seems like if you want something good to use, you have to go and get it yourself.

The adjustable DPI is a plus too.

Offline d2v

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 20 October 2009, 10:05:08 »
Quote from: RFJunkie;127140
Wolf King Trooper gaming mouse.

I use it for CAD/CAM,  but its the most comfortable mouse I have found so far.
I can sit and use the computer at work for 8 to 10 hours programming and drawing parts for the CNC machines without my had falling asleep, like it used to with the cheap crap the IT guy there would get us to use.(OEM Microsoft).. Seems like if you want something good to use, you have to go and get it yourself.

The adjustable DPI is a plus too.

Consider yourself lucky, my workplace won't even allow me to use outside peripherals. I too sit 8-10 hours doing detailed CAE work everyday.

Offline mike2h

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 20 October 2009, 12:29:24 »
steelseries ikari laser.
 best mouse ive ever owned-& that is actually saying someting:).

Offline J888www

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 21 October 2009, 05:45:31 »
Since we all have different needs and different opinions, maybe someone with enough spare time can start a Listing for everyone to submit their favourite Pointing Device, only ONE vote per Member allowed. Then we can keep count as to THE most popular, rodent/  sphere etc etc etc.
   Maybe a Listing of our current favourite Keyboard would also be interesting.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline d2v

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 21 October 2009, 10:46:48 »
Quote from: J888www;127343
Since we all have different needs and different opinions, maybe someone with enough spare time can start a Listing for everyone to submit their favourite Pointing Device, only ONE vote per Member allowed. Then we can keep count as to THE most popular, rodent/  sphere etc etc etc.
   Maybe a Listing of our current favourite Keyboard would also be interesting.

Well, the favourite pointing device keeps changing with new arrivals. So, the items on the list will have to change with time. Just a thought.
EDIT: I think that holding such a poll periodically (something like twice per year) is more realistic.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 23 October 2009, 08:21:15 »
Well, I just got a CH DT225, and I'm pleasantly surprised how precise it is for an electromechanical mechanism.

And just for fun, I decided to try to play Mirror's Edge with the DT225, and, in some ways, it actually made the game easier. I'm still trying to adjust to the difference in the way the trackball accelerates the cursor, though.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 02:15:33 »
1. Logi G3
2. Logi G5
3. Diamondback

I like the G3 more. It has the shape of an old school Logitech, it's smaller than the Razer, and it's got back/forward buttons on the R/L sides of the mouse (something that I just prefer)
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 08:01:17 »
I'd say that the Microsoft Serial mouse is one of the best mice ever made. They last virtually forever and are very well-built. They also have just two simple buttons, no bells and whistles. Those Microsoft mice are basically high-quality mice that just get the job done and they do it well.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 10:19:43 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;129029
They also have just two simple buttons, no bells and whistles.

Yep, and I'm sure I could survive on two buttons if I used Windows 95 too!

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 10:20:45 »
Quote from: ch_123;129087
Yep, and I'm sure I could survive on two buttons if I used Windows 95 too!

If you talk about the lack of buttons needed, OS X wins by default.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 10:21:46 »
As usual, you're completely missing the point.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 10:38:08 »
Quote from: ch_123;129089
As usual, you're completely missing the point.

Of course.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 14:36:42 »
Thank you for that truly profound insight...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 14:46:15 »
I use Windows 2000 everyday with two buttons.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 15:37:48 »
I know. The rest of us have moved on already...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 18:37:10 »
Moved on to what? Bloated, less reliable versions of Windows that cost hundreds of dollars?

Personally, I'd rather stick with the operating system that has never crashed on me in over 2 years. It works fast and just gets the job done. Windows 2000 is also just old enough not to have all the anti-piracy hassles XP and newer have, but new enough to have just about all modern software compatible with it.

Windows 2000 is a very well-made operating system. I have no plans on "moving on" any time soon.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 18:43:54 »
Windows 7 is by far the most reliable version of Windows I've ever used, and I've had extensive experience with pretty much all of them. Sure it's bloated, but that's what you get for using Windows...

What horrifies me most about the thought of a two button mouse is web browsing. I'm sure I was able to survive back in the day without a scroll wheel and a quick way to open tabs (middle button) but it's definitely not an experience I would like to repeat.

Offline ds26gte

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 22:14:48 »
Quote from: timw4mail;129088
If you talk about the lack of buttons needed, OS X wins by default.

Why do mice need even the one button?  The mouse could be used to solely move the cursor, an activity that is currently not kinesthetic enough on modern keyboards.  However, I see no particular convenience in attaching clicking and dragging to the mouse rather than to the keyboard.  I find it rather pleasant to use my trackball as a zero-button device (with my left hand) and Mouse Keys for clicking.  

A pointing device that just points may allow for considerably more freedom in its ergonomic design: no pesky button areas to allocate, and all parts of the hand in contact with the device can be commandeered for making it point.
Bloody B820R with LK blues. Logitech Marble Mouse unplugged and inside a drawer for emergencies.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 07:07:14 »
Quote from: ds26gte;129314
A pointing device that just points may allow for considerably more freedom in its ergonomic design: no pesky button areas to allocate, and all parts of the hand in contact with the device can be commandeered for making it point.

Who are you, Steve Jobs? (I mean the no-button, thing)

Most people would balk at the idea of having to use two hands in order to just do a left click. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal to have a one-button mouse in OS X, because you really don't use right-click that often.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2009, 07:13:48 by timw4mail »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 07:13:36 »
Quote from: ch_123;129282
Windows 7 is by far the most reliable version of Windows I've ever used, and I've had extensive experience with pretty much all of them. Sure it's bloated, but that's what you get for using Windows...

What horrifies me most about the thought of a two button mouse is web browsing. I'm sure I was able to survive back in the day without a scroll wheel and a quick way to open tabs (middle button) but it's definitely not an experience I would like to repeat.

I have almost never used anything other than a standard two-button mouse (or the trackball on my M5-2 but it acts as a standard mouse) for web browsing.

When I want to use tabbed browsing, I use Firefox and either press Ctrl+T for a new tab or click on the New Tab button. If I want to scroll, I just use the arrow keys, PgUp, PgDn, Home, and End. It's actually much faster than using a scroll wheel.

Offline ds26gte

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 08:22:15 »
Quote from: timw4mail;129335
Who are you, Steve Jobs? (I mean the no-button, thing)

Most people would balk at the idea of having to use two hands in order to just do a left click. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal to have a one-button mouse in OS X, because you really don't use right-click that often.

If a buttonless trackball is attached under a desk, say, you should be able to move it with the knee or side of leg to position the cursor.  The hands don't need to leave the keyboard.  One can already experiment with this notion by placing a contemporary symmetric trackball on the floor and rolling it within its acetabulum using one's (clean) heel.  While you can develop a fine kinesthetic sense for cursor positioning, using the foot (or toes) to also manipulate the buttons is demonstrably tedious -- and luckily unnecessary, given the hands on the keyboard.
Bloody B820R with LK blues. Logitech Marble Mouse unplugged and inside a drawer for emergencies.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 08:35:30 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;129338
When I want to use tabbed browsing, I use Firefox and either press Ctrl+T for a new tab or click on the New Tab button. If I want to scroll, I just use the arrow keys, PgUp, PgDn, Home, and End. It's actually much faster than using a scroll wheel.

I meant the tab thing in relation to opening a link in a new tab. Sure I could right click, move the mouse then select 'Open in New Tab', but that's just slow. And as with the scroll wheel, I find it alot more precise than using keyboard buttons.

My point is that unlike keyboards, mice are getting better and more useful as time goes on. I really can't see any way in which an old MS two button mouse is better than even a basic contemporary model, but I can see loads of ways in which it is worse.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 09:03:08 »
Quote from: ds26gte;129355
If a buttonless trackball is attached under a desk, say, you should be able to move it with the knee or side of leg to position the cursor.  The hands don't need to leave the keyboard.  One can already experiment with this notion by placing a contemporary symmetric trackball on the floor and rolling it within its acetabulum using one's (clean) heel.  While you can develop a fine kinesthetic sense for cursor positioning, using the foot (or toes) to also manipulate the buttons is demonstrably tedious -- and luckily unnecessary, given the hands on the keyboard.

I think most interface options are a little too precise to make that kind of setup practical. The mouse was developed to be moved with the hands, because that's where the most fine motor control usually exists.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 12:54:42 »
Quote from: ch_123;129356
I meant the tab thing in relation to opening a link in a new tab. Sure I could right click, move the mouse then select 'Open in New Tab', but that's just slow. And as with the scroll wheel, I find it alot more precise than using keyboard buttons.

My point is that unlike keyboards, mice are getting better and more useful as time goes on. I really can't see any way in which an old MS two button mouse is better than even a basic contemporary model, but I can see loads of ways in which it is worse.

I never knew of that little middle click shortcut. I got an old 3-button mouse lying around so I'll have to try that.

With scrolling on the keyboard, I bet it takes some getting used to, just like a mouse's scroll-wheel.

The older Microsoft Serial mice aren't the prettiest in the world and they don't have all the features in the world, but they are far superior in quality and comfort (at least for my hand) to a basic contemporary mouse. In my eye it is like comparing a Model M to a modern rubber-dome multimedia keyboard. The Model M doesn't have Windows keys, keys which run functions in your internet browser, or keys which adjust the volume, but it's a very well-built product with a good feel.
This doesn't mean that all new mice are junk though. There are many very high-quality ergonomic mice out there which I'd definitely find to be better than an old serial mouse. Just like high-end keyboards which outdo the Model M. But for a cheap old mouse, the Microsoft Serial Mouse is excellent.

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 17:27:02 »
Quote from: ripster;129366
Gawd I love trackballs.  They are hilarious.

Warning, NSFW! - Linky.

*looks at related videos panel*

my... god :fear:
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 12:17:03 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;109695
I'd say that my favorite pointing devices are the trackball integrated into my keyboard and my IBM Trackpoint L40 which I got NIB off of Ebay for 5.95USD.
Show Image

It was made in 1991 (before the conventional pointing stick was commercially available) and transforms from a mouse to a trackball. It also comes with an amusing owner's manual and a mouse driver for DOS on a 720K floppy.

I've seen a few of these on eBay going for next to nothing. I'm going to get one for the lulz.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 13:09:45 »
Mine was never opened and it came with the manual and everything. They're a neat piece of computer history and go well with my machines. I use the program that came with it on my DOS computer so I can use a mouse in all the programs.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 13:14:52 »
At my workplace, there's a big box that a whole PS/2 computer system came in. I hope to get it and use it for storage.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 13:23:21 »
I like that old IBM. Is it hooked up to your PS/2?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 13:33:21 »
I like those IBM PS/2 mice. Wouldn't pay for one though... I'd say I'll stumble across one in a skip some day.

I just got that Trackball/Mouse for a princely sum of €13, including shipping across the Atlantic.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 13:38:41 »
I mean the 001 one that you showed above. I bought an L40 Trackball/Mouse an hour ago.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 13:42:15 »
I just ordered that IBM Trackball/mice and and I can't wait! I've been wanting to get one of those Kensington Trackballs but didn't want to spend $60+ on one.
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 13:44:53 »
I must say, the Expert mice are worth it. Real great all-rounders, and not as prcey as some of the fancier models.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 14:22:49 »
Quote from: webwit;137210
I scored one of those newer PS/2 IBM mice once, with this computer setup I picked up for free for the keyboard, but can't say I care for it, and I don't see the fuss about them. Old mice like this are inferior because of the plastic balls to track movement (good thing we left those behind), lack of buttons and lack of scroll wheel. The keyboard however...

I agree completely. My point was moreso about the retro charm of the really old IBM mice -

As for the L40, I do have an actual use for it - I saved an old SGI Indy in my college from being dumped. It has no USB ports, and it's OS does not recognize scroll wheels. I plan on setting it up in my room along with an old thin client Pentium 4 machine that I intend to set up a load of old and esoteric OSes on.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 15:07:00 »
I have one of those IBM clunky mice in storage ... here it is now ... geeze, like a 9 foot (3 meter) cable: far longer than my arm span... put it on a USB adapter... increase pointer speed ...voila.  

Retro. I'm bad, I'm bad.

Darnit, Right click needs me to really bear down on the button. Maybe that's why I put it into storage. Hey! Maybe it's time for a laser USB scroll wheel upgrade project...

EDIT:
Whine. I miss my scroooool wheeeeeel.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 November 2009, 15:22:16 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 15:35:44 »
I don't have a scroll wheel to miss.

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #198 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 07:36:26 »
I think I mentioned it already, but this is my favorite mouse:

why did they discontinue it? damn you logitech, damn you all to hell!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 07:56:22 »
Oddly enough, Linux identifies the MX518 as a G3.