Author Topic: What's your favorite pointing device?  (Read 92672 times)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
What's your favorite pointing device?
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 07:26:23 »
Quote from: bigpook;140861
try rubbing the ball against your forehead or side of your face. that should help to smooth things out.

I should do that to mine... the rock sticks just a hair sometimes.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #251 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 12:47:26 »
Hey weren't you part of the ruthless gang who jumped my **** when I mentioned being gouged on shipping? I could have sworn...
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #252 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 17:49:46 »
Is that you in the picture?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 17:52:21 »
It must be, if you look at the computer screen you can clearly see he is looking at the Geekhack forums.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 17:52:59 »
Good point!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #255 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 18:02:15 »
Interesting isn't it? Like staring into the tunnel of Geekhack.org...  I refer to this phenomena as the double mirror effect. It is what happens if you hold a mirror parallel to another mirror and gaze into the bigger of the two mirrors.  I don't know if there is an official name for this, so I made my own.  

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2009, 18:31:47 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #256 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 18:36:23 »
Windows Æro did't really seem up your alley...

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #257 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 18:37:31 »
It works quite well actually on this old 128mb nVidia FX5200
tp thread is tp thread

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #258 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 18:39:27 »
Well, all a video card needs for that is support for some newfangled Direct-X version mine doesn't work with.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 18:40:03 »
It needs a good computer, thats why it doesn't work for you.
tp thread is tp thread

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #260 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 18:42:35 »
What I have works perfectly well most of the time.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 19:05:26 »
Quote from: ripster;140932
I prefer oils from the inner thighs of Vestal Virgins

You oil your balls from what? Does your family know you do that?

--
I have to agree. I've been using the trackball despite its inferiority to my first one, and it's getting better with age.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 19:06:39 »
Maybe some new trackballs just have to be broken in.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #263 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 20:35:57 »
Quote from: ripster;141184
It's called the "Lady From Shanghai" effect

If someone dies or gets bloody scratches on his chiseled oiled-up abdomen, it's then referred to as the Enter the Dragon effect.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 08:42:55 »
It was the beard.  It's like the hair of Samson.  They had to shave Chuck for this scene so Bruce would have a chance.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #265 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 20:49:43 »
Quote from: ricercar;140811
Ah, crapola. My just-received $52 eBay trackman FX trackball isn't as smooth as my $5 flea market version of the same hardware.

Well, eBay came through with number two. I won a superfluous Trackman FX in an auction that never took off to rise above my lowball bid. THIS one is smooooooooth, just like my original. Good thing work is paying for one of them....

Who was that person who 'always wanted a Trackman FX' recently? Shoot me a PM. I have a serviceable spare.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #266 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 20:52:15 »
Hey I think that was me.

PM sent.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2009, 20:58:07 by 1839cc »
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Langley

« Reply #267 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 19:25:18 »
There was this Pac Man machine at a Pizza Hut when I was a kid that had the most responsive trackball I've ever seen. It was sort of shaped like a table and you looked down at the screen.

Offline ibu

« Reply #268 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 01:13:41 »
My favorite pointing device would be (unfortunately it has never produced) a really large and heavy optical trackball (like the one in "Logitech TrackMan Marble FX PN 804251-0000" which has a diameter of 52,5mm) integrated into a splitted ergo keyboard.
Mockup:

I have this wish since the usage of an old mac power book with an integrated trackball.

The motive simply is: you do have to remove your fingers from the standard position for pointing.
And the feeling of a heavy trackball is dimensions nicer than of a tiny trackpoint gnupsy - for my fingers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2009, 01:33:09 by ibu »

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #269 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 03:11:35 »
Quote from: webwit;137210
I scored one of those newer PS/2 IBM mice once, with this computer setup I picked up for free for the keyboard, but can't say I care for it, and I don't see the fuss about them. Old mice like this are inferior because of the plastic balls to track movement (good thing we left those behind), lack of buttons and lack of scroll wheel. The keyboard however...

Sorry to resurrect the dead corpse. I wish to say that I've used one of those IBM mice on my first computer. They're perfectly fine -- there's nothing "inferior" about them. If anything, they fit the hand better than mice today.

Also MW commented on the L40 thing having the floppy disk included (webwit probably left his trackpoint L40 sealed), well I opened up the manual from its shrink wrap, lo and behold there was a floppy disk! The manual shows how you can actually change the speed of it via the DOS driver program. And I tried one of them on a high resolution, it works actually quite well...

I'm also starting to like the trackball. After you get used to it, it's quite fun. Especially holding the L40 like a remote as MW said.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #270 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 03:23:57 »
Quote from: ripster;219452
Wow, this IS an old thread.

Anywhere there is a new contender!
Show Image

I find my finger gets too dry and sore if I use the iPad too much...
Maybe apple should release the "iPad finger grease", that way your finger wouldn't have so much friction against the screen...

ALSO, the screen gets lots of fingerprints on it anyways... there should be a matte screen film to add onto those things. I hate glossy.

But other than that, it has a few fun games and stuff. I particularly like the iBOOK library, lots of books are downloaded from gutenberg. So as a digital book to read while on the bus or something, it works really well! The IPS screen is pretty good too... except it being glossy... GRRRRR.

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 03:29:57 »
My favourite pointing devices is IBM/Lenovo Trackpoints and Logitech Trackman Marble FX. I'm also quite fond of the Kensington Expert trackball.

On keyboard less units I naturally prefer multi-touch touch-screens.
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #272 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 19:24:32 »
I like the old Microsoft serial mice.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #273 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 20:45:53 »
Quote from: ripster;219452
Anywhere there is a new contender!
Show Image
I like this idea better:

The "MouseTrapper". It is a touchpad that is mechanical and tactile!
It works almost like the Rollermouse, except that there are two rollers with a rubber mesh stretched between them. You move the mesh around, and you can also press on it to click. The "advance" model supports scrolling with the fingers on the right side of the pad, but it does of course not support "multitouch". Unfortunately, the price of this thing is around $300 ... used, and I doubt that we see many of these outside of Sweden.
About a year ago, another company in the same building as the one I was working in was throwing away over a dozen of these. I was ignorant enough then not to grab at least one from the recycling bin ... gah!

The name "Mousetrapper" comes from the very first model which had a single bar like the Rollermouse, but without any electronics. You had to get a ball-mouse separately and strap it into the "trap" so that the ball touches against the roll-bar. When you moved the roll-bar, it moved the ball on the mouse!

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #274 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 20:57:32 »
Quote from: Findecanor;219708
I was ignorant enough then not to grab at least one from the recycling bin ... gah!

We all make that mistake at one point or another... darn.

Quote from: microsoft windows;219694
I like the old Microsoft serial mice.

Isn't the L40 better than a microsoft mouse?

woody

« Reply #275 on: Sun, 05 September 2010, 05:53:50 »
Ripster is right - the best pointing device is DA FINGER! :evil:
________
one vaporizer reviews
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 February 2011, 13:35:25 by woody »

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #276 on: Sun, 05 September 2010, 06:00:30 »
hmm...  my favorite pointing device didn't show up anywhere in this thread.  It would have if we had more female members.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #277 on: Sun, 05 September 2010, 06:40:10 »
Quote from: Oqsy;220069
hmm...  my favorite pointing device didn't show up anywhere in this thread.  It would have if we had more female members.

?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #278 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 17:03:14 »
I bet that mouse would give you carpal tunnel syndrome.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Logitech MX518
« Reply #279 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 20:44:14 »
Got me two of these. It owns...IT OWNS!

Offline MyNameIsDan

« Reply #280 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 11:22:55 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;220609
Got me two of these. It owns...IT OWNS!

Got one of those that I gave to my little sister to use. Bought one when I was in early high school or late middle school... roughly 5-6 years ago.

My current fav: Steelseries Xai
Current Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 104 Browns (FKBN104M/EB)

Current Mice: Steelseries Xai (1400cc//800cc) on Steelseries 9HD.

Anyone want to donate me a keycap remover? <3

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 12:18:34 »
Quote from: MyNameIsDan;221635
Got one of those that I gave to my little sister to use. Bought one when I was in early high school or late middle school... roughly 5-6 years ago.

My current fav: Steelseries Xai

For twice the price of mine it looks like it got a lot of bad reviews...also I'm skeptical whether laser is much better than optical

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #282 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 14:48:17 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;221642
For twice the price of mine it looks like it got a lot of bad reviews...also I'm skeptical whether laser is much better than optical

Shame they haven't cut the prices on them, still can't believe it's 85-90 after almost, if not a year after release. If it was 60 or so I'd bite but that extra 20-30 dollars sure deters, shame really because it's the kinzu that is causing the xai more issues since both look similar people think the xai sucks cause the kinzu has issues with certain sensitivity that some use.

But when I was considering buying the xai I did quite a lot of research and lot of the negative reviews are isolated incidents or people who are so damn picky and so stuck up they continue to use a mouse that is as old as their gaming experience.

Laser is fine it's caught up and surpassed optical at least for features, both are pretty much equal but there is a few slight acceleration issues with the Avago 9500 though I think those issues are really uncommon and might be either a programming error or just a simple fix. Still laser issues are a thing of the past it's just people who ***** and moan like usual about older laser mice.

Ask lmnop about the xai, she has a lot of information on it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 September 2010, 14:53:18 by Arc'xer »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #283 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 21:16:23 »
I really like my steelseries xai, but I wish my steelseries ikari laser had the Avago 9500 laser sensor because it's like putting your hand in a baseball glove.

Offline ClackHead

« Reply #284 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 21:40:26 »
There is no greater minesweeper mouse than the original Intellimouse with optical sensor.

Back when I played counter-strike, I used an Intellimouse Explorer. I went through 4 of them. They all failed where the wire attaches to the mouse board.

I then switched to the iconic MX 510/518/G5 series from Logitech for several years even though I hated it and they gave me cramps during long periods of gaming. I stuck with them though because I wasn't gaming much during those years and was instead programming my way through university.

Now I use a Razer Naga. This is an excellent FPS and MMO mouse. Once you get used to having the numbers on the mouse, you can't go back. I love the way my hand fits around it and you can grasp it both palm and finger style with zero problems. I can't recommend this thing enough.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 September 2010, 21:50:10 by ClackHead »

Filco Majestouch TKL MXBlue

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #285 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 21:47:35 »
Quote from: lmnop;221841
I really like my steelseries xai, but I wish my steelseries ikari laser had the Avago 9500 laser sensor because it's like putting your hand in a baseball glove.

Wow why did I not think of that before. Sounds like an awesome combination for an ergonomic mice was gonna buy an Ikari a few years ago but went over to the G5v2 was too annoyed by the whole optical/laser issue that it had. Though I've always been curious on gaming with my left-hand rather than right hand, so the xai became interesting because of it's fairly comfortable ambi design.

If there is any difference at least in mentality and cerebral use over right handed.

Shame they don't have some sort of left-sided QWERTY, instead of QWERTY it's YTREWQ but on the right hand side so it's basically a mirrored layout. It's silly but I guess I'm just a traditionalist with WASD and whatnot should break the habit but I guess I've gotten used to hitting the larger keys for the accuracy and differential guess I found myself using the keyboard clumsily often times.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #286 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 22:21:21 »
Quote from: Findecanor;219708
I like this idea better:
Show Image

The "MouseTrapper". It is a touchpad that is mechanical and tactile!
 Unfortunately, the price of this thing is around $300 ... used, and I doubt that we see many of these outside of Sweden.

The Mousetrapper is actually quite popular, and works well for those that like the idea of the Rollermouse but not the mechanics.

Also, since nobody has mentioned it yet, there is a new Vertical Mouse in town, little changes but an improvement none-the-less.

Later.............
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 September 2010, 22:24:06 by MsKeyboard »

Offline J888www

« Reply #287 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 09:32:51 »
To answer the OP "What is your favorite pointing device ?"

This is not a jest, no trolling intended, am quite serious.

My favourite pointing device is my Right fore-finger. My second favourite pointing device is a Razer Abyssus.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #288 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 04:32:40 »
After testing a Zowie EC2 white, which is certainly a very good mouse, over the weekend it's still the Xai.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 06:09:22 »
Quote from: J888www;221975
My favourite pointing device is my Right fore-finger

You know, it's rude to point at people.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #290 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 04:19:00 »
At the risk of being a mainstream gamer kiddy fan boy wanker:

Razer DeathAdder (the new version)

I honestly am very happy with it. Innitially, I was never ready to spend more than 10€ for a mouse (same as with keyboards back then ;) ) and was always quite content with whatever logitech mouse I got cheap from the store.
Then I recently bought a new rig, thought "ah to hell with it, u spend that much on your new system, have stuff like an SSD and Radeon HD5870 working in it and u gonna take a 10€ Logitech mouse to command it?!?"
So I went ahead and checked out those Roccat and Razer mice everyone was talking about.
Roccat blew it quickly, I just think they suck. Razer felt surprisingly awesome and the deathadder really fit my hand well. So I went ahead and bought one and haven't regretted it since. The only thing I miss on the razer are stuff like a search key or sth. like that. 5 Buttons just ain't that much. But the feel is awesome and every time I use it I feel happy. With the Logitechs I had before I didn't even want to look down ;)

Offline lmnop

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 05:15:47 »
I didn't want to create a thread.

Logitech unveils the Logitech M570 wireless trackball.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #292 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 16:52:48 »
I <3 my Kensington Expert v5 (Although I think the original 2 button Turbo was my actual favorite, but Mac only...)
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 22 September 2010, 18:30:26 »
I had a small and heavy Logitech EX110 wireless mouse once that I equipped with teflon sliders and used a round mat of rather specific texture that's hard to describe (I bought it at a museum in Greece). It was kinda perfect for RTS (with the additional bonus of minimising hand movement).

Offline J888www

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 22 September 2010, 19:48:45 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;222644
You know, it's rude to point at people.
Seriously, I use my right fore-finger with Touch-Screen, I wasn't being rude or a smart-aleck.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline bigpook

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 22 September 2010, 19:49:37 »
Right now it is the kensington slimblade...
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #296 on: Thu, 23 September 2010, 04:05:53 »
Quote from: ripster;225620
How's that elbow of yours??

: ) much better now.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline ErikRuud

« Reply #297 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 12:09:36 »
At work I use a  Bamboo Pen & Touch.
At home I use my older Bamboo Fun.
I really, really miss my MS Trackball Explorer. May it rest in peace.

I also use this trackball a lot at home.
Typematrix 2030-PS/2
Bamboo Pen & Touch

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #298 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 18:50:02 »

There is nothing better as far as mice are concerned.

Offline Brian8bit

« Reply #299 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 18:52:56 »
Apple magic mouse. It's magical.