Author Topic: Stenograph as keyboard?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline okyup

Stenograph as keyboard?
« on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 00:01:42 »
Random idea, but I'm wondering if any talented geekhackers have figured this one out, yet: using a stenograph machine as a keyboard.

This would be the ultimate in input devices... over 200 wpm, personalized dictionary, cool as ****, etc.

My girlfriend has one, but it's not a fancy new digital one, so I'm not sure how the new ones work. Can they only be used with specialized software? Is there any built-in notion of using them as a generic input device? What would be required to use them as a keyboard? A keyboard driver that does translation?
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 00:03:42 by okyup »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Stenograph as keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 00:18:51 »
While I can't speak from experience, I have no idea if a newer one would work on a PC.  That being said, I doubt it would be efficient, as by nature, stenography is extreme short hand and has to be transcribed to actual text at a later time.  The reason is so the stenographer can keep up with natural speech, also possibly involving multiple at the same time.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline okyup

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 00:56:49 »
I'm guessing that transcription can be done almost in real time in the digital age, based on the customized dictionary.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 01:06:42 »
I'm guessing that transcription can be done almost in real time in the digital age, based on the customized dictionary.

The problem would be implementing it into software.  It would basically have to act as auto complete type dictionary at the firmware level.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline okyup

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 01:23:41 »
Here's an example of real-time software translation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owW1eYQnlos

Could similar functionality be implemented at the device driver level instead of the firmware level? Having it implemented in the firmware on the stenograph itself would be ideal, but I imagine much harder to do if stenographs aren't already designed with this feature (ie. how to customize your dictionary, etc).
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 01:26:34 by okyup »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:17:43 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:24:11 by jacobolus »

Offline okyup