Author Topic: Early Model M with AT connector, only $1999  (Read 10758 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Early Model M with AT connector, only $1999
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 05:48:26 »
[deleted redundant post]
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2015, 04:36:13 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 05:50:54 »
[deleted redundant post]
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2015, 04:36:25 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Bucake

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 06:02:55 »
oh, the good ol' triple post :D

i've done the hours-of-qtipping on a model f xt plate.. yeah, fun times :(
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 08:45:12 »

When you spend hours using Q-Tips™ to dig

Really? As arduous as cleaning around spring barrels can be,

The operative word was "hours" but maybe you were speaking figuratively.

A couple of hours, maybe 3 if you don't have experience, will do a Model M bolt mod.

Not my idea of "fun" but with everything broken down to parts, you can get every single component spotlessly clean throughout.

I look at that as simply a reassurance for something that I bought from a stanger on ebay.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:34:28 »
When you spend hours using Q-Tips™ to dig...

The operative word was "hours" but maybe you were speaking figuratively.

Yes, I was being a bit dramatic. That can happen when you have a great keyboard; it's always tempting to type more than necessary.

Not my idea of "fun" but with everything broken down to parts, you can get every single component spotlessly clean throughout... I look at that as simply a reassurance for something that I bought from a [stranger] on ebay.

But let's face it, dude: If you're going to catch ebola, flesh-eating disease, bubonic plague, etc. from a KB, you're probably dead the moment you open the box.

Speaking for myself, I'm happy if the keycaps, shell and barrel plate are clean. As long as everything works, the state of the inner assembly never crosses my mind, any more than how clean the bottom of my car is. Life's too short. (Well, my life, anyway... If there are Keyboard Immortals among us, you'd certainly be one of 'em.)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 20:55:33 »
If there are Keyboard Immortals among us, you'd certainly be one of 'em.)

Hardly. I am just a guy who is happy to go to a lot of effort to do it all "right" - but only on the rare occasion.

The keyboard that I am typing on now, a 122-key Model F, I probably spent 10 hours on it, over the course of a week (much of it waiting for paint to dry) - 3 years ago. It was utterly immaculate throughout. Since then, it has probably gotten a quick vacuuming or 2 and perhaps 5 light alcohol wipe-downs. And nothing else, but it looks and feels great.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 20:46:47 »
As long as everything works, the state of the inner assembly never crosses my mind, any more than how clean the bottom of my car is. Life's too short.

*eye twitch* if you knew the amount of meticulous sanding and painting I'm in the middle of... hahaha. To each thier own, 'tis a great hobby no matter how you slice it  :thumb:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 05:42:43 »
*eye twitch* if you knew the amount of meticulous sanding and painting I'm in the middle of... hahaha. To each thier own, 'tis a great hobby no matter how you slice it  :thumb:

In other words, it's a hobby that lets people be as neurotic as they please. (Indeed, let's face it: Many of us are fascinated by cleaning, repairing, and otherwise manipulating keyboards with their many small, precise parts organized in tidy geometric rows—a classic symptom of Asperger Syndrome.) This aspect of it gets my hearty endorsement.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 22:23:23 »
Well, that's interesting!  You should see how many FAILED shots I have too!  Maybe I should go for a change of career!

Show Image

....That didn't work.
That's not just you!  When I started, my keeper rate was about 1:20.  Now my non-keeper shots is 1:10.  :))

The great thing is that with today's equipment, almost anyone can get at least one awesome shot if they keep at it.  If you ever get a chance to use a Canon/Nikon with a 2.8 70-300 lens you'll know what I mean by this--you could shoot at poop and it would look great!

As a photographer, once you can get that awesome shot every time, you're a pro--at least that's what another pro told me.  Pros can get the shot every time, every condition, almost any camera.  Getting paid or not is a whole different story as that's more on the lines of business, and is a whole different topic.

I've only had two shots I couldn't get--one was because of time and the other was just impossible to convey what I was looking at into a photograph.  I think I have about 700,000 shots in my archive.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 22:27:39 »
Oh!  I found my other picture that I forgot to upload....

Show Image

Edit: This is a picture from before njbair helped me out with a new NumLk/ScrLk key!
It's not a bad picture at all.
Prettttyyy...  :cool:

If you would have had a dark cloth on that table, that shot would have been pretty killer for just something put together.  When shooting products, the thing to keep in mind is that you don't want anything in the background to take away from the product.  Pretty simple concept and seems intuitive, but it's really hard to remember sometimes if you're not used to it.  Try it the next time you shoot any of your keyboards.  :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 22:31:34 »
...a classic symptom of Asperger Syndrome.) This aspect of it gets my hearty endorsement.
Wait, can't you get medicare/medicaid for this?  lol

I can just see a bunch of people filing for disability and then using the funds to restore keyboards--it would be an industry in itself!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 22:32:50 »
Oh!  I found my other picture that I forgot to upload....

Show Image

Edit: This is a picture from before njbair helped me out with a new NumLk/ScrLk key!
It's not a bad picture at all.
Prettttyyy...  :cool:

If you would have had a dark cloth on that table, that shot would have been pretty killer for just something put together.  When shooting products, the thing to keep in mind is that you don't want anything in the background to take away from the product.  Pretty simple concept and seems intuitive, but it's really hard to remember sometimes if you're not used to it.  Try it the next time you shoot any of your keyboards.  :thumb:

Have you even went to and gone through my pictures in my imgur album?
Hmm.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 23:36:58 »
Have you even went to and gone through my pictures in my imgur album?
Hmm.
I have to admit that I haven't.  Something I'll put on my todo list for when I have some free time.  :thumb:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 02:07:37 »
...a classic symptom of Asperger Syndrome.) This aspect of it gets my hearty endorsement.
Wait, can't you get medicare/medicaid for this?  lol  ... I can just see a bunch of people filing for disability and then using the funds to restore keyboards--it would be an industry in itself!

They'd probably insist on monitoring our eBay browsing.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 07:49:19 »
Wait, can't you get medicare/medicaid for this?  lol  ... I can just see a bunch of people filing for disability and then using the funds to restore keyboards--it would be an industry in itself!

They'd probably insist on monitoring our eBay browsing.
But then we could probably get a bailout when our 'business investments' go south.  :))

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 04:37:44 »
BTW, I have no idea why that 3x post of mine occurred up there... I'm pretty careful about such things, so I'm guessing it was a forum glitch. Nonetheless I'm willing my face to be red because I'm such and agreeable and modest guy.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 04:52:05 »
BTW, I have no idea why that 3x post of mine occurred up there... I'm pretty careful about such things, so I'm guessing it was a forum glitch. Nonetheless I'm willing my face to be red because I'm such and agreeable and modest guy.

Tapatalk, perchance?  That is known for it's double-posting shenanigans.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 18:48:05 »
Anytime there's some lag or packet loss, you can almost always be assured of a double-post.  Happens to everyone at some point.

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 04:10:17 »
That reminds me of when I bought a brand new inbox Model M 1390131 for $430 and then a few months later when I moved apartments the box was squashed and I threw it out. Now its worth $50!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 07:56:49 »
That reminds me of when I bought a brand new inbox Model M 1390131 for $430 and then a few months later when I moved apartments the box was squashed and I threw it out. Now its worth $50!

Only the box was ruined? I consider the 1390131 to be the most desirable of the "standard" Ms, and a pristine specimen, down under, should be worth at least $100, if not a good deal more.