Author Topic: Industrial ibm  (Read 8556 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Industrial ibm
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 18:12:36 »
That's mine.  And it's the only other painted industrial I've ever seen apart from chyros's.  It is not standard for industrials to be painted.

Woo, a Model M with gray paint! Catch me, I'm swooning.  :?D

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a bad guy here. I just think it's hilarious that people are willing to pay so much more dough for one of these simply because of its color, when all BS Model M's are already twice as good as any other keyboards because of the wonderful, actual technology they contain.

It's just a funny example of human nature—how our values are so easily diverted by the power of suggestion (i.e. someone telling you something's especially valuable for an entirely superficial reason). We're certainly surrounded by examples of that phenomenon.

Sincerely, E29, I hope you were happy with the price you got, and that the buyer enjoys it. I suppose that's all that really matters. – A.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 21:24:46 »
I just think it's hilarious that people are willing to pay so much more dough for one of these simply because of its color...
Knowing IBM, it was definitely more than just color--these were designed for a harsher environment than a regular M.  So while there are changes that won't matter for a daily driver, I'm sure they do have some guts that make them beyond a regular M.

I never thought of owning one, but because of the environment some of my Ms are in, I'm really thinking I need at least one at some point.  Some things are a better fit.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 21:29:01 »
I thought they were made with heavier gauge steel inside, among some other differences.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 21:56:10 »
I thought they were made with heavier gauge steel inside, among some other differences.

Why do you think they were called "Industrial IBM" because they were frequently used in factories of all sorts.

There was once some ancient IBMs at our old Gold sorting facility until the company swapped them over for membrane garbage, that was water proof.  The older IBMs were waterlogged due to the water cleaning pressure sprays, used to sort certain sizes of loads, when it entered the skips for manual sorting.

Everything now is computerized hence manual sorting, has now passed into history.  Goes to show how long I've worked at the same place for decades.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 22:01:57 »

Why do you think they were called "Industrial IBM" because they were frequently used in factories of all sorts.

There was once some ancient IBMs at our old Gold sorting facility until the company swapped them over for membrane garbage, that was water proof.  The older IBMs were waterlogged due to the water cleaning pressure sprays, used to sort certain sizes of loads, when it entered the skips for manual sorting.

Everything now is computerized hence manual sorting, has now passed into history.  Goes to show how long I've worked at the same place for decades.
That doesn't happen anymore. The average millennial stays with a company for 18 months before taking a job elsewhere. But can you blame them? With no pension plan and with employers cold-bloodedly laying people off, there's no reward for loyalty anymore.

It's no wonder keyboards are being made cheaper and cheaper. Why build them to last if the people typing on them don't last?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 22:15:06 »
It's no wonder keyboards are being made cheaper and cheaper. Why build them to last if the people typing on them don't last?
Sad but true.

As an employer, we find that people are always looking for the best bang for buck too, so when something better comes along, people switch.  Maybe back in the day there was more to the work than just the compensation package, but people have gotten real about what their time is worth (and working is a lot of time).  I've lost two employees in the last year because they found better jobs.  I couldn't blame them for leaving even though it made a huge mess for us and all the training was time money down the toilet for us.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 02:10:35 »

Nope. Effectively, they were just pre-grimed... Rather like the way the Army defaults to olive green. It hides dirt and grass stains well.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 07:44:56 »
It hides dirt and grass stains well.
I hope no one is having to worry about grass stains when using a keyboard--that's an odd job for sure!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 02:19:12 »
Can't say for sure—but I understand some of those snipers spend long periods of time lying in wait. Doing a bit of email would help break up the monotony.