Poll

Preferred port

Mini USB
74 (15.6%)
USB C
401 (84.4%)

Total Members Voted: 475

Author Topic: [IC] Rukia (GB form opens Thursday 5/23/19 @9pm PST, confirm your local time)  (Read 67510 times)

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
Re: Plastic Alice
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 03:51:03 »
May I know if cerakote is applicable on plastic?

Offline vegs

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 04:34:40 »
It is!
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 06:20:50 »
poll added!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline ninjapirate

• @ninjapirate9901
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 06:57:11 »
Oooh yes please!

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 08:01:13 »
another must-buy.

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 08:13:19 »
I am in for this as long as I can buy a PCB at the time of the GB.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 10:06:31 »
I am in for this as long as I can buy a PCB at the time of the GB.
Yes, you will be able to!

Offline genesisx

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 10:34:00 »
IC filled, excited about this! Already ordered my plate and PCB, this is exactly what I need...

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
Re: Re: Plastic Alice
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 10:54:12 »
normally i'd agree but if you read the OP he got sam's permission first so it doesn't really apply here

Yea like I said I'm not particularly concerned when it comes to this design in particular - having the okay from the creator is for sure the most important thing, I just figured a word of caution may apply regardless because like I wrote in the last paragraph, being a prospect GB/community effort it has to sit well with everyone not just with Sam.

who are the others in the community that should have an opportunity to speak their disapproval/uneasiness?

Let's ask anyone with over 5000 posts.

anyone who assumes post count is a measure of intelligence clearly hasn't met either of us

Speak for yourself.

At least one of you is self aware.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 10:57:23 »
Please take notice of the poll added to the top of the thread.
USB C white PCB is pretty much certain. BUT the USB cutout is designed to accommodate both USB mini and C without too much space for the male end to get stuck outside the female end. Hate when that happens...

Offline noahf

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 11:19:50 »
can you explain how the male end gets stuck outside the female end?  ;D

and im in.

Offline swangful

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 11:40:02 »

and im in.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 12:01:51 »

and im in.

Show Image

slow clap

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 13:05:39 »
The more I look at it, the more I see that white a some sort of ceramic version of the Alice and I love it!

Offline Shadow_Key

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 14:08:12 »
hmm Lubrigante rumored to be much cheaper, and half plate.

and lasered sheets of a cheaper plastic rather than cnc

lubrigante's target price is 100-110 usd

half plate is cheaper than full plate anyway, but obviously that's not gonna account for $250 of difference

they're totally different products that occupy the same niche

My Lubrigante case from Ponoko cost about $60, and they have a $20 off coupon for first time users.  I got a black acrylic with a Gold mirror on one side.  It's the best $40 I've spent all year.

I'm also doing a case from Pololu - a company in Las Vegas, which is not Poloko - although the name is very close.  They made me an acrylic board where the middle layers are clear but the top and bottom are brushed aluminum for a more premium look.   That case cost $93.00, and for a couple more bucks you can do some really nice engraving.

Next I'm having a Sculpteo case made from Okoumé plywood.  The size of their sheets is giving me some issues.  If I can get it to fit on 1, its $60, and if I need 2 it will be $120.  Which is probably too much for a "fake wood alice". 

I'm planning on posting pics, and sound tests comparisons for everyone when my PCB and plate arrive. 

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 14:19:30 »
Can you post pics of the lubrigante? And were there any weird things you had to do, or just fill out to forms and provide the DXF?

Offline kustom3

• bonjour
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 16:55:53 »
Just curious what are the pros/cons of using UHMW vs nylon?
Seeing that video of it diffusing light reminded me of the M65-A nylon bottom

didn't some nylon bottom pieces for the M65-A have warping issues during storage (in warm environments)?

Yeah nylon is notorious for not handling humidity really well. My nylon M65-A bottom piece arrived warped but once assembled with the alu top piece, it's straight as an arrow.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 17:01:35 »
hmm Lubrigante rumored to be much cheaper, and half plate.

and lasered sheets of a cheaper plastic rather than cnc

lubrigante's target price is 100-110 usd

half plate is cheaper than full plate anyway, but obviously that's not gonna account for $250 of difference

they're totally different products that occupy the same niche

My Lubrigante case from Ponoko cost about $60, and they have a $20 off coupon for first time users.  I got a black acrylic with a Gold mirror on one side.  It's the best $40 I've spent all year.

I'm also doing a case from Pololu - a company in Las Vegas, which is not Poloko - although the name is very close.  They made me an acrylic board where the middle layers are clear but the top and bottom are brushed aluminum for a more premium look.   That case cost $93.00, and for a couple more bucks you can do some really nice engraving.

Next I'm having a Sculpteo case made from Okoumé plywood.  The size of their sheets is giving me some issues.  If I can get it to fit on 1, its $60, and if I need 2 it will be $120.  Which is probably too much for a "fake wood alice". 

I'm planning on posting pics, and sound tests comparisons for everyone when my PCB and plate arrive.

lubrigante will have a pcb included but i see your point
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 20:58:42 »
I think it's great those options are there :)
And one of the cool things about this community is the maker aspect.
This IC offers something different though imo.
I'm not just trying to make a budget Alice. If budget is what you're going for, the files have been open source for a long time, and the Lubrigante is proven to work now.
This is a new material that I think will excel in areas I think are important: sound, feel, durability.

I don't want people to be confused, though, about what this IC is for. If you post pics of the other builds based off the Alice files, please clearly label them as what they are in the post itself. I appreciate it.

Offline swangful

Re: [IC] Plastic Alice
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 22:34:41 »
seems like a far cry but will a wrist rest be possibly offered?

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 22:42:15 »
seems like a far cry but will a wrist rest be possibly offered?
I’ll look into it, but at the minimum I can just draw  one up and make the step files open source. But yeah a wrist rest would be sweet

Offline swangful

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 02:33:50 »
This IC is not going to last very long. I plan to start the GB as soon as prototypes are proven to not explode or have other
glaring defects/oversights.

How fast are we expecting? Lubrigante GB ends in a week and im debating which one to jump on. If this IC somehow doesn't reach GB, id regret not jumping on lubrigante >.<

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 02:59:47 »
This IC is not going to last very long. I plan to start the GB as soon as prototypes are proven to not explode or have other

How fast are we expecting? Lubrigante GB ends in a week and im debating which one to jump on. If this IC somehow doesn't reach GB, id regret not jumping on lubrigante >.<
I won't even get the prototypes in a week. However, this is definitely going to GB. I just value the IC phase, especially with a new material like this.
For the Lubrigante, you're getting an Alice layout keyboard in an acrylic case for a good price. I wouldn't try to choose between the two if I were you.
If you can swing it financially, go ahead and get in on the Lubrigante while you can. This kit will also be available and offer a different feel, look and durability if that's what you're after.

Offline swangful

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 03:10:11 »
For sure, thanks for the speedy replies. Definitely want this one since it’s going to be a more solid board. :D

Offline Randalljai

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 03:42:42 »
Is there a limit to the GB?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 06:42:10 »

They have a specific air dry formula for using on plastics..I think its not made specifically for plastic, but Im currently talking with a gun company and the guy says he can cerakote my Dolch pac keyboard case..
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 07:53:47 »
Is there a limit to the GB?

I'm optimistic and want to say "no limit," but this is also my first GB. Other, more experienced people, might have advice as to why I should limit it.
The first thing that comes to mind is QC and timelines. Limiting the number lets me make sure that every board that goes out is perfect. Also, I would have to
eat the cost of anyone that backs out, and I can't afford that.
But optimistically, exactly as many people that want one can have one. And then I'll have extras for late-comers.

They have a specific air dry formula for using on plastics..I think its not made specifically for plastic, but Im currently talking with a gun company and the guy says he can cerakote my Dolch pac keyboard case..

Right, so the person I talked to specifically said it is proven with ABS, and UHMW has similar heat tolerances to ABS.
Both are right at the lower limit, though, of what is possible with Cerakote.

Offline CrazyNun

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 18:04:28 »

I could only see the GB for the PCB and Lubrigante's github files...is there a GB for the acrylic case too?  (I couldn't find it)

Offline swangful

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 19:20:17 »

I could only see the GB for the PCB and Lubrigante's github files...is there a GB for the acrylic case too?  (I couldn't find it)

Rather not post links confusing people but the lubricante is on mechmarket

Offline Randalljai

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 20:39:14 »
Will this be branded as tgr just with a different material? Using the same manufacturer as thr original and etc. Or will this be branded as something else?

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 01:57:54 »
Will this be branded as tgr just with a different material? Using the same manufacturer as thr original and etc. Or will this be branded as something else?

Different manufacturer.
No branding.
It's not my original design.
Putting a name on it to me is disingenuous. Someone new to the scene might think I came up with it, when all I did was try to recreate one for myself from the original designer's open source files.

Yuktsi gave the go ahead to share it with others, but it doesn't have his magic spit on it, so I can't put TGR on it.

Also, I don't usually like branding, but the TGR logo is pretty darn nice. I've tried to come with something that aesthetic, but to no avail.

I could as a joke put a vector outline of a crayon'd attempt at the logo, signifying my childish attempt to recreate the original for myself.
But I actually think the board will be far from a plastic toy. I hope it to be a tank you can beat up for years and years and still enjoy.
Other cheaper options are great for what they are. But I wouldn't put it in a soft bag and take it to work everyday.

Offline mdlt97

• This **** is still better than Keebtalk
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 03:46:08 »
is the material that expensive to work with? idk much about it just seems pretty expensive since the aluminium version was not that much higher in price

interesting for sure
TX60 | Duck TC-V3 | Duck Eagle V2 1/1 Bottom | Zephyr r2 | Duck Sidewinder | Mech27v2 | TX75 | LZ CLS | Duck Viper v2 | Orion v3 | HHKB pro 1 | TGR 910 | Omega60

Offline vodan

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 06:37:16 »
Already have a PCB but not the plate, so would be great if there is an option to buy the case and the plate, but not the PCB.

Offline CrazyNun

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 08:17:27 »

Rather not post links confusing people but the lubricante is on mechmarket

Yeah, sorry for posting about this at all on this IC, just couldn't see...thanks for the info

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 10:03:58 »
is the material that expensive to work with? idk much about it just seems pretty expensive since the aluminium version was not that much higher in price

interesting for sure
Machinists don't want to try anything complicated with it

Already have a PCB but not the plate, so would be great if there is an option to buy the case and the plate, but not the PCB.
Yes. There are others in similar situation who can choose just the case

Offline Petch

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 11:28:56 »
I'm interested, hopefully it's no more than $350 for the case, plate and PCB though.

Is there any chance of a completely clear case?

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 13:59:45 »
I'm interested, hopefully it's no more than $350 for the case, plate and PCB though.

Raw UHMW is the white from the video in the op. So clear is not possible. 
And just hfor clarification, black is black all the way through, not painted or surface treatment.

Offline swangful

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 15:41:13 »

Raw UHMW is the white from the video in the op. So clear is not possible. 
And just hfor clarification, black is black all the way through, not painted or surface treatment.

Any ETAs on prototyping? Who will be producing the PCB? :O

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 15:49:39 »
friendship ended with Irma

UHMW Alice is new best friend

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 02:00:29 »
I hope to get the prototypes in before the end of the month, but i have no hard date yet.
A couple I can hand deliver for feedback.

The PCB is produced by projectkeyboard. I was impressed with the plate I got from the GB, and I'm looking forward to this PCB.
Please give me feedback for color or design options for the PCB.
I remember seeing pics of a prototype translucent purple Alice PCB, I think. But wasn't that missing the ground plane or something? It looked cool, though.
I'm not sure how much the PCB will show through with the thickness of the UHMW case, but a pretty PCB is always good if it works well.

On an aside:
VIA is not taking requests right now, but OMG! I used it with an Aegis build I just finished, and VIA is the truth!
I literally said out loud, "Uh, do I just close it?" So EASY!
QMK configurator is great, too. Heck, I even really like bootloader for how easy it is. But if we can get VIA somehow for the PCB, even down the road, it's worth it.

You can have more than one friend ;)
But I understand about having a bestest friend.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 03:22:08 »
Motherboard requests:
1) QMK (I don't know Via so that may be an option)
2) USB-C please
3) Consider hot-swap or at least capable of adding Kailh hot swap to it.

For those considering Lubrigante, it is closed now.  This is your option.

Sent from my Mediatek MTK8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 03:27:08 »
Motherboard requests:
2) USB-C please

I can agree with the first two options but I would prefer a soldered PCB.

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline hormbre

• I am not played by keycaps = =!
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 03:39:32 »
Are there arrows on the right bottom ?

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 04:02:34 »
Motherboard requests:
2) USB-C please
1) yes
2) yes, possibly mini option as well
3) Sorry no. Please see below.

Lubrigante is closed, but if you want an acrylic case, those files are open source.

I can agree with the first two options but I would prefer a soldered PCB.

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk
For me personally, hot swap is not for this board.
It’s great for testing out what you like. Tofu RGB is a well supported option at a great price.
I have one and use it for that and for breaking in switches.
Hot swap is great and convenient until it’s not.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 04:03:46 »
Are there arrows on the right bottom ?
No, that’s the EM7. Also an amazing keyboard.

Offline swangful

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 12:08:49 »
I hope to get the prototypes in before the end of the month, but i have no hard date yet.
A couple I can hand deliver for feedback.

The PCB is produced by projectkeyboard. I was impressed with the plate I got from the GB, and I'm looking forward to this PCB.
Please give me feedback for color or design options for the PCB.
I remember seeing pics of a prototype translucent purple Alice PCB, I think. But wasn't that missing the ground plane or something? It looked cool, though.
I'm not sure how much the PCB will show through with the thickness of the UHMW case, but a pretty PCB is always good if it works well.

On an aside:
VIA is not taking requests right now, but OMG! I used it with an Aegis build I just finished, and VIA is the truth!
I literally said out loud, "Uh, do I just close it?" So EASY!
QMK configurator is great, too. Heck, I even really like bootloader for how easy it is. But if we can get VIA somehow for the PCB, even down the road, it's worth it.

You can have more than one friend ;)
But I understand about having a bestest friend.

I've always been a fan of wilba's PCBs. Black and copper is super clean. Although since the case is a milky white, it might be better to go white/copper.
And I'm not 100% sure on the ground for that PCB but it is amazing. I'd be okay with any PCB that looked like that, any color lol.

I've personally never had issues with configuring QMK but i can see the huge benefit of VIA. Definitely makes things easier.

Offline iammeuru

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 02:35:28 »
Pretty sure I could be into this... Depends on timing... So many amazing boards, including the Irma as well :)

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 09:26:25 »
So, which is coming first, this or Irma? Because now you confused me and I don't know which one I want ;)

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 12:08:50 »
So, which is coming first, this or Irma? Because now you confused me and I don't know which one I want ;)

Well, honestly, with the new material, I won't know which design will need revisions until I get the prototypes in hand and have them Cerakoted and whatnot.

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 19:34:12 »
I am really looking forward to seeing and buying this, for the PCB color, I'd say since the base color is white, white with copper traces does make the most sense or even translucent white for the RGB to diffuse better if possible.