Author Topic: [IC] had60 - An accessible, minimal, and universal-ish 60% PCB  (Read 41231 times)

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
[IC] had60 - An accessible, minimal, and universal-ish 60% PCB
« on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:14:51 »
---------
Updates
---------
[October 16, 2021]
- GB for rev1.1 is up now senselessclay.com
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115012.0
[April 14, 2021]
- The boards are now available along with daughterboards on senselessclay.com!
All sold!
[February 12, 2021]
- Equipment and boards have been ordered, just waiting at this point.

[January 15, 2021]
- Added support for the Kei based on the larger indentations on hiney's h60.

[January 14, 2021]
- Design is finalized! Buy will continue with fulfillment happening in later February or early March given the upcoming Chinese New Year.

[October 9, 2020]
- Stream checking out the fit and feel of the PCB in a Unikorn will be on October 10 at 12:00 PM PT at twitch.tv/hadipotter. The switches have been pre-lubed, so I don't suspect it will be a terribly long stream. Hoping to see you all there!

[September 30, 2020]
- I'll be building a prototype case I designed for this PCB and testing it within the Unikorn on stream in October.

[September 27, 2020]
- 25 units of the PCB will be available for EU folks.  GB will run after initial US run.
- I'll be prototyping a plastic (POM) plate with matching flex cuts in October. 
- I designed an acrylic case for this board that leverages the same mounting style as the Unikorn if anyone's interested. I'll post more details once the prototype arrives in October. I expect to produce 5-10 for GB members in the United States since some assembly is required on my part. Target price for the case will be between $60 and $80 with a display stand and lube station included potentially. Daughterboard will be required.   
- Still trying to source nitrile O-Rings less than 70A, preferably 50A. If anyone has any recommendations that don't start with McMaster and end with Carr, let me know!

--------------
Original Post
--------------

Hello, Geekhack!

The had60 is a board I prototyped back in the summer and would now like to make available to the mechanical keyboard community as a token of my appreciation. The goal was to consolidate some current trends in PCB and keyboard design that I thought looked neat, and I’m very much not trying to take credit for the layout of the board or the visual language employed. To be clear, Wilba, TGR, Singa, and Gondolindrim have all heavily influenced this board along with the art additions to it. Functionally, the PCB is intended for use with the Unikorn but it should fit other 60% boards depending on whether or not they have tight connector slots.

Since this is a first for me, these PCBs will be offered at cost with an optional donation for those who would like to see other projects like this one come to fruition. Ran into several unanticipated costs between packaging, shipping, and hosting services, so I'll need to take a bit to cover the additional losses. Sorry.

USB fit and Unified Daughterboard sample
More

Features
- USB Type-C Connector
- QMK compatible (and VIA, maybe?)
- 4-pin JST Header pre-soldered (pinout conforms to the Unified Daughterboard standard)
- Basic ANSI, ISO, WKL, and HHKB support (preflashed, if desired)
- Green soldermask (or clear—we’ll see)
- ESD protection on power and data lines
- Overcurrent protection via a PTC
- EMI filtering on power via a ferrite bead
- Too much flex
- Absolutely no LEDs
- Some nifty board art

Price
About $30 depending on order quantity and locale (not including PayPal fee or shipping). I’m guessing we can get to the lower half of this range (or even less) easily enough, especially with plain, ol’ green.

Quantity/Availability
Two batches of 5-25 units, one for CONUS and one for EU, FCFS. We will run more extensive rounds if this is successful. Multiples will be allowed if we don't hit the cap in either region.

Potential additions
- Community submissions and designs for front solder-mask art.
- Coupled daughterboard with various connector extensions (typically 0 mm from the front edge per the Unified Daughterboard specification, but 1 and 2 mm are useful for non-metal cases with thicker walls) and a 200mm cable. The pair would be about $5-10, again depending on order quantity.
- QMK layout configuration and flashing for an additional fee (if I don’t get VIA support up in time). $1-10 depending on extent of customization, no macros or custom functions pls. Working to get VIA support up by fulfillment.
- A separate connector-less version, depending on feedback.   Just one version for the time being, with option to desolder for an additional fee ($2).
- Plates?
- O-Rings? Not a ton of great sources right now

Changes to production run
- Component package sizes - Switch from 0402 to 0603 since the former are dwarfed by the controller in my opinion.
- Pads for switch pins - The exposed teardrop pads are a little meme-y, but I’m down to leave the soldermask stopped if people find them interesting. I’ll build a board soon-ish to confirm how they affect soldering/desoldering.
- Front soldermask art - I’m still working on finalizing the front of the board given that the owl featured is a reproduction of a silkscreen print, ‘Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons’, by Kevin Tong (@tragicsunshine, https://tragic-sunshine.myshopify.com/) that I threw together for prototyping. I did get permission from the artist to share these photos but would rather stick to something that is either entirely mine or sourced from the community. If you have any recommendations or owl art you own, let me know!
- Connector extension - If anyone has a 60% PCB that uses USB Type-C lying around, I’d love to know how far the connector extends past the main edge of the case along with its position relative to the ‘Escape’ and ‘1’ keys. It would be great to make the PCB as compatible as possible with other cases. 
- Connector position - Seems like the connector may need to be moved a bit more to the right. I'll build my Unikorn with the PCB to confirm it's indeed centered.
- Column traces between Rows 2 and 3 will be moved to the bottom.

Timeline
Interest Check : September - November 2020
Accepting orders : December 1 - 14 2020 WILL BE SOLD AS IN STOCK DUE TO CONCERNS WITH PROTOTYPE, DATE TBD
Order/Production : December 15 - January 15, 2021
Shipping/Fulfillment : January 15 - February 30, 2021 ~March, 2021

Form
https://forms.gle/qpXt2PttKQV1ANkk9
I’ll send an email to responders closer to the end of the IC as a notification for the buy.

Terms
- Group buy members may not resell the pieces for profit. Anyone found to be violating this request will be banned from participating in all future rounds.
- I’ll order a few extra to have as backups if anything happens to the PCBs under typical usage, but refunds might be more convenient for this initial run. Just let me know and I’m sure we’ll be able to work something out.

TODO
- Order final prototype with updated art, pads, and connector position (if changed) Who needs to prototype when you have unfounded confidence and excess capital
- Get a shipping label printer so that the local postal service proxy doesn't slap me with printing charges DONE
- Source packaging for the boards along with an adequate flat-rate shipping option
- Make sure PayPal doesn’t lock my account No PayPal, sorry

Shameless self-promotion
I run a small YouTube channel and Discord server for makers looking to implement their own keyboards from scratch. If you’d like, we’re always looking for new members to join and collaborate on projects. I stream a bit of some of my design work on the side, too, and will probably give a prototype or two of this PCB away at some point.   

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpWGAJr2AU7LPUwVYbBQZRg
https://discord.gg/E6ujkUG
https://www.twitch.tv/hadipotter
https://www.patreon.com/hadiiskandarani

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 October 2021, 12:40:56 by Hadi »

Offline ilikerustoo

Re: [IC] had60flex - An accessible, minimal, and Unikorn-compatible 60% PCB
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:20:46 »
I'm in.

Can we get clear solder mask?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:24:05 by ilikerustoo »

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:28:01 »
I'm in.

Can we get clear solder mask?

Clear is significantly more expensive than green soldermask, but I'd be willing to get a quote for those interested. 

Offline kidpid

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:30:35 »
 +1 for clear/black solder mask. Would be cool if the final art was towards the middle of the PCB so it's visible with half plates. Do you have any typing & flex demos?

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:31:49 »
Feel like Wilba deserves a shoutout at the very least here for the very obvious WT60-D "inspiration".

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:33:01 »
+1 for clear/black solder mask. Would be cool if the final art was towards the middle of the PCB so it's visible with half plates. Do you have any typing & flex demos?
Not yet, but I'll work on getting a plate for the Unikorn and posting a video within the IC period.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:39:08 »
Feel like Wilba deserves a shoutout at the very least here for the very obvious WT60-D "inspiration".

Sure! Wilba, TGR, Singa, and Gondolindrim have all heavily influenced the design of this board and the art additions. I've been open on other social media sites regarding this inspiration, and I am not looking to make a profit on this run. See https://www.instagram.com/p/CEPqSs7H2M4/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ifabfn/green_soldermask_can_be_beautiful_too/g2mc9nw/.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:53:01 by Hadi »

Offline n.rdy

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 15:17:52 »
ummmmm yes. ummm. holy ****. yes. plz gib. also, finish your youtube series! <3

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 18:52:20 »
Interested..

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 19:02:10 »
Can someone give a high-level outline of what the flex cuts mean/how they affect type feeling, what mounting styles this would work best with, etc?

This looks cool and I'd love to support the project, but at the moment (and for the foreseeable future) the only 60% cases I have are top/tray mount, with which I am not positive flex will really matter.

But I may be wrong, and people with less experience may also want to know.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 19:22:39 »
Can someone give a high-level outline of what the flex cuts mean/how they affect type feeling, what mounting styles this would work best with, etc?

This looks cool and I'd love to support the project, but at the moment (and for the foreseeable future) the only 60% cases I have are top/tray mount, with which I am not positive flex will really matter.

Honestly, if you have a metal or otherwise decently rigid plate and type normally, the effect might not be terribly noticeable. I just saw the slots as a challenge to routing and thought it would be fun to get feedback from other people in the community as to their impact on feel. I'll be comparing the stock PCB with a brass plate to at least one plastic plate with this board in the near future. Standard tray mount without a plate might see reduced rigidity, but I think Gondo's Lasgweloth may still offer more flexibility overall if you intend on using mounting points. I imagine this would work best in boards that already are implemented with flex in mind (i.e., those with a plastic plate, relief cuts, and/or some kind of gasket solution for mounting).
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2020, 19:31:35 by Hadi »

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 19:24:36 »

Your won't "benefit" from a flex pcb, It will just provide a different typing feeling, in this case, this pcb would only work in a case with o ring mounting or top mount. The difference the pcb would have as to a normal one is that when it's paired with a half plate, the flex cuts will allow the alpha section of the pcb to flex more when typing, providing a bouncier/softer typing feel as opposed to a uncut pcb with half plate or full plate.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 20:52:18 »
such a gorgeous pcb, looks like it was a fun project. no unikorn but i'd still buy one as part of an aspirational step towards owning one eventually  :p

Offline icemountainguy

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 22:54:44 »
Looks Fantastic.
And it will probably pair really well with Bakeneko 60.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 23:26:35 »
Looks Fantastic.
And it will probably pair really well with Bakeneko 60.

Hmm, I'm not too positive about that. Taking a look at the GitHub repo, the case may need to be modified to not interfere with the USB connector.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 23:32:28 »
Get this sucker in a Unikorn and let us know what you think.  My unikorn is willing and ready

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 23:34:14 »
Nice. Now all I need is a Unikorn.

Offline wencan008

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 14:56:03 »
I like the idea. Would be interested in potentially picking up one or two. I will second asking for a different solder mask, but it's not a deciding factor for me, just would be nice to have a different color.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 20:50:15 »
I like the idea. Would be interested in potentially picking up one or two. I will second asking for a different solder mask, but it's not a deciding factor for me, just would be nice to have a different color.

I absolutely adore the green but will try to get a quote for clear soldermask. Is there a particular color you'd like?

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 20:55:22 »
Get this sucker in a Unikorn and let us know what you think.  My unikorn is willing and ready

Sure! I'll build it on stream eventually and give my initial impressions. Just need to throw together a plate or two at some point.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 12:04:17 »
Accidental quote, deleted.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 September 2020, 12:06:20 by Hadi »

Offline wencan008

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 17:10:50 »

I absolutely adore the green but will try to get a quote for clear soldermask. Is there a particular color you'd like?

Not particularly looking for clear, seems like some people above were though. Maybe yellow? I think it would be cool to see some colors that aren't common on PCBs. I'd also be happy with black, white, or red which might be "safer" colors. In the end, if it increases the price significantly, it's not worth it in my opinion, and I'm perfectly content with green.

Offline kbye

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 17:32:22 »
Very cool - I'd be interested in clear soldermask!
Big fan of your YT videos, keep up the great work

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 15:56:48 »
Very cool - I'd be interested in clear soldermask!
Big fan of your YT videos, keep up the great work

I'll definitely get a quote for clear within the next month or so, but I suspect the option will be at least 30%-50% more expensive. And thanks for watching! I appreciate the support tremendously.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 16:03:42 »
Not particularly looking for clear, seems like some people above were though. Maybe yellow? I think it would be cool to see some colors that aren't common on PCBs. I'd also be happy with black, white, or red which might be "safer" colors. In the end, if it increases the price significantly, it's not worth it in my opinion, and I'm perfectly content with green.

Sounds good. I will compare green, clear, yellow, and red soon, but probably will not go with black or white since they tend to make the board look pretty plain in my opinion. Regardless, I'll rotate through options in the future if this venture ends up being popular.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 11:52:44 »
Matching plate and foam have arrived! I'll be building up the board with Gateron yellows and giving my impressions at 12:00 PM PT tommorow, Saturday, October 10, at twitch.tv/hadipotter. The switches have been pre-lubed, so I don't expect it will be a terribly long stream. Hoping to see you all there!
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 October 2020, 12:16:53 by Hadi »

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 15:09:55 »
So, building the Unikorn with a flexible plate (POM) causes the band to warp the PCB slightly. Since there isn't a ton of room in the board, this results in bottoming out for rows 4 and 5 given the closest mounting positions are near the stabilizers. I'll be testing out a few more plate options with different copper fill combinations, but I think this present configuration may be problematic for those not using something like brass or FR4. Do people just intend to use these with a stock plate?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 19:46:42 »
I was planning to use a brass plate that I have sitting around.

Offline wencan008

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 21:01:01 »
I didn't have a plate in mind, I could keep it in mind and use with an alu half plate or something. Is the issue caused just because the pcb and plate are too flexy?

Offline kidpid

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 21:31:43 »
I intended to use it with a half plate. Maybe brass or alu.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 21:37:42 »
Meme cut meme cut

Tree leaf says memecut
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 23:18:48 »
I didn't have a plate in mind, I could keep it in mind and use with an alu half plate or something. Is the issue caused just because the pcb and plate are too flexy?

Generally speaking, yes, but the one-sided copper fill also contributes to the warping slightly. I'm going to order a few different FR4 plates next week to see if I can compensate for the tension using another of the prototypes. Alternatively, I'm also considering replacing the ground plane with a much smaller one around the controller given the original PCB seems to work fine without one. Either way, we can rule out soft plates for this run.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 23:23:16 »
Meme cut meme cut

Tree leaf says memecut

Meme indeed, but it was fun to implement and cuts are en vogue in the hobby.

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 12:42:24 »
how many flex cuts do you want?
> yes

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 14:47:03 »
Meme cut meme cut

Tree leaf says memecut

Meme indeed, but it was fun to implement and cuts are en vogue in the hobby.

YEs, I agree. Good job and I will be excited to see how good of a job it does
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 12:00:09 »
Amazing work and great tutorial.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:17:03 »
Hey all,

I've been working on a few things to go along with this PCB and will be shifting to an in-stock model for fulfillment. Date TBD, but those that have filled out the form will receive notification when available. Thanks for the patience.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 14:20:31 »
Hey all,

I've finalized the design and, if there's still interest, I'll place an order within the next two weeks with U.S. fulfillment around late February/early March given the upcoming holiday in China. It's looking like we should be able to meet the lower end of the price range if we manage to order 50, and I'd be comfortable grabbing extra for other projects since only 25 people filled out the form thus far. If you guys still want these and are fine with the final implementation/artwork, let me know! Note that this is just an SVG render and, as such, may differ from the actual product in terms of silkscreen quality and color.

Otherwise, I can order another round of prototypes if actual product photos are preferred. I'm just wary of getting a ton in light of the fact that there are more feature-rich boards out there for like $10 more. I have a friend willing to coordinate a smaller buy in Europe, but I imagine it'll be more expensive given the increased import fees. Regardless, the EU fulfillment will have to be separate and thus follow later on in the year.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 March 2021, 20:09:53 by Hadi »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 14:22:46 »
Still interested here :)

Offline kidpid

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 17:29:41 »
I'm still interested. Do you know if the cutouts support the Kei?

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 18:09:25 »

Well, the cutouts seem to be in the same positions relative to the switch footprints, but I'm unsure about the exact clearances. Do you have an outline file, measurements, or a straightish top-down photo? If so, editing the profile to fit should be fairly easy, but I imagine the USB connector would still have to be removed based on what I can glean from build videos. Happy to do it for you using hot air if it ends up working out.

Offline kidpid

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 18:40:13 »

Well, the cutouts seem to be in the same positions relative to the switch footprints, but I'm unsure about the exact clearances. Do you have an outline file, measurements, or a straightish top-down photo? If so, editing the profile to fit should be fairly easy, but I imagine the USB connector would still have to be removed based on what I can glean from build videos. Happy to do it for you using hot air if it ends up working out.
Here's the product page for the PCB the Kei uses:
https://hineybush.com/collections/pcbs/products/h60-hotswap-daughterboard?variant=32196671635558

Here's a timestamp to Taeha's stream where he shows off the PCB:

Picture from a Discord user that has a decent shot of the PCB:

Another picture from a Discord user:

I don't think outline files are available, but we might be able to ask hiney.

Offline Xdoc6

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 21:02:16 »
Still interested here as well; just filled out the form!

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 00:10:21 »

Here's the product page for the PCB the Kei uses:
https://hineybush.com/collections/pcbs/products/h60-hotswap-daughterboard?variant=32196671635558

Here's a timestamp to Taeha's stream where he shows off the PCB:

Picture from a Discord user that has a decent shot of the PCB:

Show Image

Another picture from a Discord user:
Show Image

I don't think outline files are available, but we might be able to ask hiney.

So the answer is no, not at the moment, but making it compatible would just require adding two circular cuts at the top and expanding two at the bottom to match (in red, see photo). The other, smaller indentations are unnecessary, right? The USB platform is ever so slightly extended on my board, but I don't think the ~0.5mm will hit the case since the overall dimensions still seem to be smaller than those of the H60.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 March 2021, 20:53:23 by Hadi »

Offline wencan008

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 03:17:17 »
Would still be interested

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 16:02:10 »

So the answer is no, not at the moment, but making it compatible would just require adding two circular cuts at the top and expanding two at the bottom to match (in red, see photo). The other, smaller indentations are unnecessary, right? The USB platform is ever so slightly extended on my board, but I don't think the ~0.5mm will hit the case since the overall dimensions still seem to be smaller than those of the H60.

I went ahead and expanded the cuts since they were extras to begin with. I'm guessing it should be compatible now based on hiney's store listing. Here's a (very low-quality) png export for reference.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 March 2021, 20:10:27 by Hadi »

Offline kidpid

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 16:43:48 »

Show Image

I went ahead and expanded the cuts since they were extras to begin with. I'm guessing it should be compatible now based on hiney's store listing. Here's a (very low-quality) png export for reference.

Show Image

That looks like it would work! To answer your prior question about the small indentations -- no, those are not necessary for the Kei. Only the large indentations are necessary due to board being screwed together from the top. Those large indentations are so you can screw the board together.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 17:19:51 »

Show Image

Show Image

That looks like it would work! To answer your prior question about the small indentations -- no, those are not necessary for the Kei. Only the large indentations are necessary due to board being screwed together from the top. Those large indentations are so you can screw the board together.

Great! I'll just order this version if there aren't any objections.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
Re: [IC] had60flex - An accessible, minimal, and universal-ish 60% PCB
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 02:23:10 »
Hey all, one quick sanity check before ordering. Does anyone have strong feelings about the stabilizer orientation for ANSI Enter? The original Unikorn PCB has north-facing wires with plate cutouts to boot, but I much prefer south-facing since it allows for all of the stabilizers to match across the modifier keys. For the record, I tried the PCB using the stock brass plate and didn't notice any interference immediately.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2021, 10:34:51 by Hadi »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 07:44:53 »
The plate I plan to use supports either direction so I don’t have a preference. 

Offline kidpid

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 12:24:49 »
The Kei plates appear to use south facing wires, so that's my preference.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 01:57:56 »
The Kei plates appear to use south facing wires, so that's my preference.

The plate I plan to use supports either direction so I don’t have a preference. 

South-facing it is! I'll make sure to note it for buyers just in case anyone's expecting north-facing.

Offline Diggidy

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 05:11:13 »
Would it be possible to have an option to have the USB port deleted? I'd plan to just use a daughterboard and the JST.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 10:50:18 »
Would it be possible to have an option to have the USB port deleted? I'd plan to just use a daughterboard and the JST.

Sure! I can probably remove it for a small fee, no more than $1-to-2 depending on whether the connector comes off cleanly.

Offline kidpid

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 19:58:13 »

Sure! I can probably remove it for a small fee, no more than $1-to-2 depending on whether the connector comes off cleanly.

How difficult would it be to remove with a normal soldering iron? My plan is to put it on the Kei, which uses a daughterboard, but that's not going to ship for a while, so things may change. I wouldn't want to have the port removed in case my plans change and I want to use it on a board that doesn't use a daughterboard.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 20:02:15 »

How difficult would it be to remove with a normal soldering iron? My plan is to put it on the Kei, which uses a daughterboard, but that's not going to ship for a while, so things may change. I wouldn't want to have the port removed in case my plans change and I want to use it on a board that doesn't use a daughterboard.

I'd recommend just buying two honestly, especially at the price point I'm trying to hit. Happy to give you a small discount since some of the cost comes from packaging.

Offline kidpid

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 20:08:21 »
I'd recommend just buying two honestly, especially at the price point I'm trying to hit. Happy to give you a small discount since some of the cost comes from packaging.

Haha, quite the tempting upsell. Yeah, I suppose I'll buy two. Won't hurt to have a second anyways!

Offline Saks

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 20:50:50 »
Answered your google forms asking to consider some extra cut-outs to make another 60% case compatible. PM me if you need extra details!

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 21:58:31 »
Answered your google forms asking to consider some extra cut-outs to make another 60% case compatible. PM me if you need extra details!

I'm guessing this is in reference to the Poseidon PSD60 compatibility? If so, does KPR even have a PCB on the market that makes use of the mounting points for reference?

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 15:55:26 »

You messaged me privately but I'd prefer to keep the correspondence on the thread if that's okay. In short, if you have measurements or a reference file, happy to try to add support! There is certainly room on the bottom for additional slots, but I won't extend compatibility if they interfere with the Unikorn or Kei indentations.

Offline Saks

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 03:55:20 »
Hi Hadi

Here are the measurement of the standoff of the psd60 case
I would like to give credits to feli_cetti#8427 (don't know if he has user here) to making the measurements of the case for me

I think that it's possible to add support, maybe just the bottom left one are really close to the cut that already have

What about the QMK/VIA support, is it going to be avaliable?
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2021, 04:09:51 by Saks »

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 12:54:00 »
Hi Hadi

Here are the measurement of the standoff of the psd60 case
I would like to give credits to feli_cetti#8427 (don't know if he has user here) to making the measurements of the case for me

I think that it's possible to add support, maybe just the bottom left one are really close to the cut that already have

What about the QMK/VIA support, is it going to be avaliable?

How confident are you regarding the length of the protrusions? They seem very large and will require modifying the existing indentations in the design.

QMK will be be compatible by default, and VIA support will be added as soon as I get a pull request merged.

Offline Saks

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 15:27:59 »
Since the QC control of these cases are not the best, to be 100% compatible I guess that it would be necessary a cutoff of half circle with 5mm radius, since the 4mm that we measured varied a bit

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 16:13:48 »
Since the QC control of these cases are not the best, to be 100% compatible I guess that it would be necessary a cutoff of half circle with 5mm radius, since the 4mm that we measured varied a bit

To be honest, I'm not terribly fond of the resultant intersection between the bottom-left mounting position you've specified and that of the Unikorn. The thin section is bound to deform with use, and I don't even think the circle is centered in between the switches--in short, it's just weird. If there were a significant number of similar requests within the thread or the IC form, I'd roll with the shortcoming, but I think a Dremel/file is a better approach since this was originally pitched as an alternative for the Unikorn. Just trying to stay true to what a I imagine people expect of the board.

Alternatively, I can leave the smaller indentations (~3mm) in place as references for DIY'ers to file down until they no longer interfere with the protrusions. I'd also happily run a smaller number of compatible boards in the future. If people have other opinions, please do let me know.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 17:11:04 »
Would love another standard pcb in 1.2mm. But this is cool too.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 17:12:19 »
Its gonna be a no from me dawg.

Also it doesn't seem like there's gonna be too much room for flex in that case(PSD60), it already seems like a tight fit for the switch pins base on the pics.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 17:16:25 »

Happy to tackle other requests, let's just get this first run out the door. I feel like I've been working on it forever ha.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 17:34:38 »
Its gonna be a no from me dawg.

Also it doesn't seem like there's gonna be too much room for flex in that case(PSD60), it already seems like a tight fit for the switch pins base on the pics.

+++

The top positions are intuitively placed in between switch footprints, but those to the bottom-left seem random. (I imagine it has to do with bottom row interference...?) There was very clearly an attempt at symmetry (see the bottom-right point), though.  In the designer's defense, the original positions for the Unikorn and 356 Mini are kind of wonky, too.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 18:31:04 »

Happy to tackle other requests, let's just get this first run out the door. I feel like I've been working on it forever ha.
Totally understandable. Hopefully next round :D

Offline CPU_Cartel

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 02:34:34 »
Is it possible to add bluetooth capabilities?

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 15:08:31 »
Is it possible to add bluetooth capabilities?

In a future round, sure, just trying to get something super simple and inexpensive out the door to start.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 12:26:02 »
Support for the PSD60 case would be really appreaciated!
Would be a nice and cheap alternative in combination with this pcb for trying out the gummy worm gasket mount.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:33:16 »
Support for the PSD60 case would be really appreaciated!
Would be a nice and cheap alternative in combination with this pcb for trying out the gummy worm gasket mount.

In order to stay true to the original goals of the project and provide a replacement PCB for the Unikorn (and then the Kei, given the overlap with the extended support added shortly thereafter), I decided to not expand the bottom indentations further at this time. There was only a single request to do so in the IC form (two if you'll count yours), and the mounting positions just seemed kind of random and relatively large. For the few that would like to use this in the PSD60, I imagine simply filing down the edge of the board would work, but I don't have a case in hand to confirm. I'll definitely follow up in the next run, let's just get this version finalized.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 03:19:54 »
Id love to see the next iteration to support 3-1-3 spacebars :eyes:

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 00:56:52 »
Id love to see the next iteration to support 3-1-3 spacebars :eyes:
Honestly, not a fan of the configuration for 60% boards, but I may concede if there are a ton of requests in a subsequent suggestions/requests form.

Offline steebs

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 20:16:32 »
any plans for split space? pretty please...

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 17:56:50 »
any plans for split space? pretty please...

Not in this first run, no, but I'll put out a request form afterwards and try to incorporate as many submissions as possible. While LEDs and Bluetooth might be hard given the space constraints imposed by the channels, alternative layouts should be straightforward.

Offline kidpid

Re: [IC] had60 - An accessible, minimal, and universal-ish 60% PCB
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 17:39:25 »
Are you still waiting on components? I hope I didn't miss the run of this!

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 03:33:01 »
Are you still waiting on components? I hope I didn't miss the run of this!

Just waiting on the boards to ship, hoping to have them up for sale within the next couple of weeks. I'll post here with a link if everything checks out!

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
Hi everyone, the 60% PCBs and daughterboards are available now on my website! They are discounted at $25 and $8, respectively, for the next 24 hours. Just sharing on Geekhack for now.
https://senselessclay.com/

The boards comes pre-flashed with ANSI, and you can find instructions to program the board using VIA on the 'Downloads' page pending the merge for official support.
https://senselessclay.com/pages/downloads

Thanks for your patience throughout this process. If you appreciate the affordability of the pieces, please consider donating to help fund additional projects like this one.
 https://senselessclay.com/products/donation
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2021, 03:08:23 by Hadi »

Offline catamscott

very cool, definitely in for a few! also it looks like the 'remove pcb' variant is unavailable, is this an error or intentional?

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
Bought one and a daughter board (just 'cause), gotta support my fellow Oregonians!
P.S. I actually like the distressed looking silk screen on the back.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 April 2021, 17:52:50 by Extra Fox »
A-a-ron

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
very cool, definitely in for a few! also it looks like the 'remove pcb' variant is unavailable, is this an error or intentional?

Intentional and stated in the terms. Stock for variants on a single product are configured separately, so I need to update the two manually to avoid over-selling. One should be available now!

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
Bought one and a daughter board (just 'cause), gotta support my fellow Oregonians!
P.S. I actually like the distressed looking silk screen on the back.

Honestly, a part of me wants to complain to the manufacturer, but it's been months and I just want to get over this project. Thanks for the order! Should have it picked up tomorrow.

Offline wencan008

Hi everyone, the 60% PCBs and daughterboards are available now on my website! They are discounted at $25 and $8, respectively, for the next 24 hours. Just sharing on Geekhack for now.

Hi looking on the site right now, it seems like the discount is already gone?

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri

Hi looking on the site right now, it seems like the discount is already gone?

You messaged me on Discord! Sorry for the hassle, only meant for the discount to apply for single pieces, not multiple. Ended it a little early in light of the mistake.

Offline it99

hey Hadi, working on getting a plate done out of POM. Do you happen to have files for a plate with matching flex cuts so I don't lose out on most of the flex? I think you said you were working on also selling those (I'm getting a custom plate for a custom acrylic gasket mount so I have to make my own sadly, prolly can't use the ones you'd sell although I'll prolly still get one lol) so if you have any files you could send me I'd really appreciate it!

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
hey Hadi, working on getting a plate done out of POM. Do you happen to have files for a plate with matching flex cuts so I don't lose out on most of the flex? I think you said you were working on also selling those (I'm getting a custom plate for a custom acrylic gasket mount so I have to make my own sadly, prolly can't use the ones you'd sell although I'll prolly still get one lol) so if you have any files you could send me I'd really appreciate it!

I think you messaged me on Discord but I'll reply here in case you're not the same person. No, I do not have any production-ready files at the moment, but I'd honestly just recommend going with a half plate. If you matched the cuts, you'd just add support and end up with really thin areas near the stabilizers.

Offline Ranger_Trivette

do you have a drawing of the board?
i need the over-all dimensions (width and length) and the distance of one switch from the sides.

so i'll know if it fit in my board! thanks :)

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
do you have a drawing of the board?
i need the over-all dimensions (width and length) and the distance of one switch from the sides.

so i'll know if it fit in my board! thanks :)

Hi Ranger. The board is 284.5mm x 93.8mm. FWIW, people generally design keyboards around the GH60 specification. See https://i.imgur.com/LQXco3J.png

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Okay, so I've been messing around with my had60 and plates for the past two hours and I've found something that works and feels really nice. 

Background story:
I am a proud owner of a R1 Unikorn.  It looks lovely... but I hate the way it feels.  It must be a combination of the mounting and the switches I chose, but it has no life to it.  It's really boring.  The switches are gateron milky tops, lubed wtih 205g0.  The springs are a bit light on them (can't remember, but I think they were TX 55g or 60g springs).  These are paired with the black aluminum plate from TGR x Singa.   Simply put, I hardly every use it because it feels "off."

Today:
I get my had60 in the mail.  What a flexiboi!  I have a full FR4 and half FR4 plate to try with it.  Well, neither really worked out for me.  It's entirely too flexible to use in the Unikorn case with a 1/2 plate.  We're talking switches hit the bottom of the case with normal typing.  The thing is, the Unikorn has very small clearance under the PCB.  So any large flex is going to cause issues.  I could probably line the case with thin fabric or plastic, but you'll still feel that bottoming out on the case.  The full plate honestly took almost all of the flex out of the PCB.  I really couldn't tell I had a flex cut PCB in it.

Then I remembered I had a PC plate cut about 5 years ago that I had never used.  Oh man... it's perfect.  1.5mm PC is very flexy if you've never tried it.  This setup is perfect for the Unikorn.  If I press hard around the G and H the PCB hits the standoff there.  So, I'll probably line it with paper or tape to be safe.  However, this setup brings my Unikorn to life!  This is what I had expected to feel from the board from day 1.  Really happy that I tried this combo.  POM/Delrin would probably also be a great solution here as well.  I know that Ponoko has it in 1.5mm thickness b/c I had one cut for my Prophet.

I'm also thinking about using the 1/2 plate with the stock PCB.  But that's a story for a later day.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2021, 15:54:40 by pixelpusher »

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
Okay, so I've been messing around with my had60 and plates for the past two hours and I've found something that works and feels really nice. 

Background story:
I am a proud owner of a R1 Unikorn.  It looks lovely... but I hate the way it feels.  It must be a combination of the mounting and the switches I chose, but it has no life to it.  It's really boring.  The switches are gateron milky tops, lubed wtih 205g0.  The springs are a bit light on them (can't remember, but I think they were TX 55g or 60g springs).  These are paired with the black aluminum plate from TGR x Singa.   Simply put, I hardly every use it because it feels "off."

Today:
I get my had60 in the mail.  What a flexiboi!  I have a full FR4 and half FR4 plate to try with it.  Well, neither really worked out for me.  It's entirely too flexible to use in the Unikorn case with a 1/2 plate.  We're talking switches hit the bottom of the case with normal typing.  The thing is, the Unikorn has very small clearance under the PCB.  So any large flex is going to cause issues.  I could probably line the case with thin fabric or plastic, but you'll still feel that bottoming out on the case.  The full plate honestly took almost all of the flex out of the PCB.  I really couldn't tell I had a flex cut PCB in it.

Then I remembered I had a PC plate cut about 5 years ago that I had never used.  Oh man... it's perfect.  1.5mm PC is very flexy if you've never tried it.  This setup is perfect for the Unikorn.  If I press hard around the G and H the PCB hits the standoff there.  So, I'll probably line it with paper or tape to be safe.  However, this setup brings my Unikorn to life!  This is what I had expected to feel from the board from day 1.  Really happy that I tried this combo.  POM/Delrin would probably also be a great solution here as well.  I know that Ponoko has it in 1.5mm thickness b/c I had one cut for my Prophet.

I'm also thinking about using the 1/2 plate with the stock PCB.  But that's a story for a later day.

Would love more feedback like this! Glad to hear you found a solid combination, pixel.

Your experience with the Unikorn sounds pretty similiar to my own when prototyping, and the lack of space beneath the PCB almost put me off of implementing the board. I'd be appreciative if you have photos of any of the half plate assemblies to send over for future projects. I'm on Discord, hadi#8307.

Offline beigeandbrown

Hey there, wanna buy one of these for some ultra flexy no/half plate action on the fjell I just ordered. I was wondering what the thickness of the pcb is? It isn't listed anywhere, I'd assume its normal 1.6mm, but with how much you were aiming for flex, I wouldn't doubt that it could be a 1.2mm.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
Hey there, wanna buy one of these for some ultra flexy no/half plate action on the fjell I just ordered. I was wondering what the thickness of the pcb is? It isn't listed anywhere, I'd assume its normal 1.6mm, but with how much you were aiming for flex, I wouldn't doubt that it could be a 1.2mm.

1.6mm, standard.

Offline sumbody

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 08:20:43 »
I don't know if anyone here tried to fit this PCB into a Kei, but the different location of the JST header doesn't allow the case to be closed together.
The H60/Plain60 has a different location for the JST head.

The attached image shows the groove where the JST rests within the Kei case
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2021, 09:03:19 by sumbody »

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 13:15:12 »
I don't know if anyone here tried to fit this PCB into a Kei, but the different location of the JST header doesn't allow the case to be closed together.

Mea culpa--Kei compatibility was more of an afterthought in response to feedback in this thread, and I hadn't realized the clearance was so minimal. I'll update the location of the header if I run the board again with a coupon for anyone affected.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 17:07:28 »

Time to get out the dremel..

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 02:27:32 »
hi, i'm trying to buy pcb from senseless clay, but the web site seems offline.
do you know when will be back?

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 20:28:30 »
The site indicates he's taking a (early) Summer break, so I'd say some time in the fall.
A-a-ron

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 20:45:53 »
Anyone have a copy of the VIA hex available? I never got a chance to DL it before the site got locked down.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 22:38:01 »
I threw one together from the Default keymap if you're interested.
A-a-ron

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 22:43:42 »
Also, I'm attaching a few pictures of my finished board. The build specs of which are:
  • had60 board (naturally)
  • P3D layered acrylic 60% case, Glass Green.
  • Everglide Aqua King 68g switches.
  • Everglide clear stabilisers.
  • G.SKILL Crystal Crown keycaps, white.
272093-0
272095-1
A-a-ron

Offline chungsteroonie

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 09:43:16 »
Any solid plans for another run of these boards?

Offline Riizmaa

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 01:04:15 »
Would it be possible to get some pcbs that fit bakaneko and support 10u spacebar?

Offline Riizmaa

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 01:06:09 »
Would it be possible to get some pcbs that fit bakaneko and support 10u spacebar?
I wanna see how much something like this would be

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 16 October 2021, 16:25:01 »
Any solid plans for another run of these boards?

Yes, here you go:
https://senselessclay.com/products/had60flex

I wanna see how much something like this would be

10U is silly, just do 7U like everyone else.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 12:40:21 »
If anyone's curious, the GB thread is live!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115012.0

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 13:55:56 »
To be clear, Wilba, TGR, Singa, and Gondolindrim have all heavily influenced this board (...)

That's awesome man, I feel honored. Keep it up!
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 07:22:22 »
Going to attempt putting the Had60 on the Ciel. There is so much to look at on this pcb. It is super duper interesting and beautiful. Will absolutely pick up more when these get run again. Happy that I nabbed 1 of each. (Please run them again :D.)