Author Topic: Leopold FC660M Cherry MX Red  (Read 20257 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
Leopold FC660M Cherry MX Red
« on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 13:19:39 »
This is my first mechanical keyboard and this is my first mechanical keyboard review.

Some things to note is that I do not know much about PCB boards so I did not take it apart and talk about the PCB, but rather this a general review for anyone who just wants a general feel about the keyboard.

So a little backstory to how I bought the board:
I bought the board off of eBay from GH netizen Valerie. She didn't want the board because she rather have the MX Browns and this was a steal because she was selling it for $50. So I was like, "Instead of buying an uber expensive board. I will buy this one and buy another board later." So, I bought this with MX Reds (although I wanted to try brown at first, but reds are still very nice and I like it).

Here is a side view of the box where it says how many keys, operating systems , etc.

This is what was included in the box. What you see is what I got. Nothing more, nothing less. I read somewhere that the colored caps were a promotion. I was pretty bummed out, but it's whatever.

This is the manual for dipswitches and Fn functions. I don't read Chinese, so I hard to peruse around elitekeyboards website to the FC660C page to find out what the dipswitches do.

*Captain Falcon* Okay! Now to review aspects of the board!

Build Quality
Right when I picked it up I knew it was a solid board. It had a great heft from the plate mount, and the shell felt very sturdy. No qualms about the chassis.
Grade: A

Keycaps
The keycaps are PBT with gold print. They felt really sturdy and the texture is a nice rough texture that I like because I have sweaty hands so it feels good to know that my fingers won't just slip around. The keycaps are quite small in height compared to the KBC black blank PBT keycaps sitting here on my desk, and they are almost flat. I personally don't like the flatness of the keycaps, because I end up misclicking. Even though my fingers are sausages, I find that the small keycaps combined with the flatness of the tops causes me to misclick. This was a huge curveball when I first started typing.
Grade: B

Format
This board is unique in that it is not a full 60% board. I like the small form factor as it is easy to carry with me to school, and doesn't eat my desk like my old HP keyboard did. It really is easy to get to my mouse, and it helps in games like League of Legends where I like to communicate with my teammates. The one problem I do have is that the left control key feels awkward. This is particularly the case with FPS games where my left-ctrl is crouch. I used to use shift as crouch and ctrl as walk (CS:GO), but I found my palm accidentally activating the left ctrl key. To solve this issue, I used dipswitch 1 to make my capslock key my ctrl key which made it more comfortable. I like the format, but the size of the keys kinda threw it off as well.
Grade: B

Dipswitch
There are four dipswitches on the underside of the keyboard that have different functions. You could change the capslock to left ctrl and vice versa, the left alt to windows and vice versa, the Fn key on the right to windows and vice versa, and the final switch is to turn the windows key off.

The only two switches I use out of these are the first and last switches for FPS gaming. I like it, but having to unplug your keyboard, turn it off, get the switches activated with your nail, turn it back over, and the replug it may turn some people off. I'm not that lazy so I don't mind it too much. The other switches I have not found a use for so I can't really say much about them.

Function Layer
Due to its small form factor and reduced keys, the FC660M, like the FC660C, has a seperate layer for different keys activated by the Fn key. 1-0 are F keys when pressed with the Fn key, and print screen, home, end, pgdn, etc. are also activated on the main keys with the Fn key. Pgup, pgdown, home, and end can also be accessed by Fn + arrow keys. Hitting Fn+Q turns the Esc key into a permanent [~] key (which lights up the insert key led).

There wasn't too much to get used to because of the arrow keys being dedicated and work better than the other keys for home, end, pgdwn, and pgup. I don't really use the ~ key too much so that wasn't really a problem either.

Using the F keys were pretty easy so not much learning there either. Even though it doesn't have media keys, Authotkey does wonders, so no complaints about no media keys.

Cherry MX Red
This was a learning curve for me. I was so used to typing on a membrane keyboard (like many of you might recall), and at first I was struggling. I misclicked so many times I dropped a whole 20 WPM. I'm starting to get used to it the more I type in daily functions (like this review), but I am still getting used to the switch, caps, and form factor. I haven't tried any other switches (besides the blues on a Blackwidow Ultimate in the Microsoft store), so I can't really compare it to other switches, but I can tell you how they generally feel.

These things are like, but have a nice resistance. I have the WASD switch, cap, and o-ring tester (review misplaced in the keyboard section), and I enjoyed the reds on the single switch. I think it is the keyboard, but they feel kinda stiff compared to when I tested it on the switch tester. They feel stiffer on my left hand (specifically my left pinky [left shift, left ctrl, etc.), but that might be from my left pinky being a little weird. I also suffer from slight carpal (drumming :P) so that might be it too, but my wrists hurt a bit when typing on it.

Bottoming out is like the only way I can type efficiently right now. I am getting better and better at a turtle's pace, but I still end up bottoming out on typing tests. I am waiting on red silica o-rings from IMSTO coming in the mail so maybe that might remedy the harshness of bottoming out. I love the sound when it doesn't bottom out though.

In terms of overall feel, I really enjoy the typing experience on MX Reds. Very smooth and light but with a nice resistance that pushes your fingers up (but not as much as blacks of course).
Grade: A- (they feel stiff on this board so can't be an A)

Typing Sound
Instead of telling you what I hear I can show you a bideo!

I don't know if you can hear it in the video, but you can hear a slight ping from the plate, but it is slight so it doesn't really bother me. I like how PBT caps sound. Doesn't sound mushy but sounds more concrete than ABS.

Notes
I don't know if its because its defective or if its just the nature of this board, but whenver I hit the ['] key there is a delay. I'll press it and the action doesn't occur unless I press a key after it. When I hit ["] sometimes it would double up. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Conclusion
Overall good board. Small form factor is a learning curve and sometimes the left ctrl makes my hand feel weird and ache. The build is sturdy, hefty, and strong. The keycaps are a solid PBT. MX Reds are great but definitely a learning curve for those new to mechanical keyboards such as myself.
Overall Grade: A-
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 14:04:54 by TimIsABat »
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Leopold FC660M Cherry MX Red
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 13:27:53 »
I really like the detail you put into this review. Like your struggle with carpel tunnel and how it affects your typing. I have some things I'd like to point out though:

- On the Nostalgia theme, you can't see the "Uploaded by ImageShack" tag. It's black on black
- Don't ever TL:DR if you want people to read your reviews thoroughly. People will just look at the pictures and then the TL:DR then say on great review, it was too long but I liked it. Make them read it to the bitter end :P
- I'd love to see pictures of the backside and maybe the profile of the caps so a side view picture.

I really loved the font you used for your headers and your grading system. Also I've found with longer reviews, if people are looking back to them as a reference, you can use like in article links. Let me know if you want some examples of this.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 13:33:09 »
I really like the detail you put into this review. Like your struggle with carpel tunnel and how it affects your typing. I have some things I'd like to point out though:

- On the Nostalgia theme, you can't see the "Uploaded by ImageShack" tag. It's black on black
- Don't ever TL:DR if you want people to read your reviews thoroughly. People will just look at the pictures and then the TL:DR then say on great review, it was too long but I liked it. Make them read it to the bitter end :P
- I'd love to see pictures of the backside and maybe the profile of the caps so a side view picture.

I really loved the font you used for your headers and your grading system. Also I've found with longer reviews, if people are looking back to them as a reference, you can use like in article links. Let me know if you want some examples of this.

Examples are great! Thanks for the advice. I'm still new to writing reviews. I will post pictures of the backside and the profile of the keycaps. I will also show picture comparison with ABS and my KBC PBT keycaps.

Edit: Changed TL;DR.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 13:35:10 by TimIsABat »
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline Jack Karneval

• I'm gunna pop some keys, only got $20 in my pocket
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 14:06:56 »
Awesome review Tim, I find it interesting you're bottoming out which is what happens when I type on MX Blues switches (basically same spring resistance as Reds). After trying MX Green switches I don't think I'd go back to a lighter resistance switch. You might want to try MX Blacks, Greens, or Whites if you can get your hands on any of those.
: CM Storm Trigger (MX Green) : KBT Pure Pro (MX Blue) :

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 14:13:17 »
As per request of CPTBadAss:

Back Label

Back Dipswitches

Keycap Profile
NOTE: I know the picture isn't the best, but I did my best :P. They red cap is an ABS red blank cap that came with my sampler kit. Added on it just to see how it would look with a single red cap.

Keycap Profile
From order of left to right: FC660M keycap, KBC PBT keycap, ABS Keycap from WASDkeyboard.

Full backside
The rubber feet are nice, and with the raisers it makes it even better. Doesn't slide at all around my desk.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 14:14:56 »
Awesome review Tim, I find it interesting you're bottoming out which is what happens when I type on MX Blues switches (basically same spring resistance as Reds). After trying MX Green switches I don't think I'd go back to a lighter resistance switch. You might want to try MX Blacks, Greens, or Whites if you can get your hands on any of those.

Thanks. I like Blacks, might get another board with either blacks or browns. I really want to get me some clear switches and either panda or ergo-clear them.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 14:25:40 »
Thanks for the extra pictures. It's just nice to see a full board; not just the top view.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 23:36:03 »
Great review Tim! Always nice to read other people's views on boards, especially from a fellow FC660M owner. Don't worry too much about bottoming out man, it happens ... especially with Reds. So are you leaning towards using OEM height (the KBC blanks) over the stock Leopold keycaps?

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 23:43:36 »
Great review Tim! Always nice to read other people's views on boards, especially from a fellow FC660M owner. Don't worry too much about bottoming out man, it happens ... especially with Reds. So are you leaning towards using OEM height (the KBC blanks) over the stock Leopold keycaps?

I am leaning towards the OEM height. This is an improper board to really test out the OEM heights (waiting on my Poker X), but the lower height and flat surface really feels awkward. I am still waiting on my o-rings so I can change the travel and feel for bottoming out so it would be less taxing on my wrists.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 23:56:00 »
Really enjoyed your review!  Have you considered a small wrist rest?  I can't go without one now--major difference for my wrist comfort and noticeably lower strain with one.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 00:20:56 »
Really enjoyed your review!  Have you considered a small wrist rest?  I can't go without one now--major difference for my wrist comfort and noticeably lower strain with one.

I'm dying to get one. I might get a nice cheap one. I really do like the leather ones from elitekeyboards. I really want to get one that fits my keyboard. Might get me a wooden one, but I really want to get one that is portable.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 01:20:38 »
Excellent review - very well written!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 16:30:48 »
Though I can imagine you probably don't really feel like opening it up, could you check if there is any room in the PCB for leds?
In this review it seems like the arrow cluster has room for leds. I would be deliriously happy if the DEL-key had it too.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 16:41:28 »
It does look like those areas have holes for LEDs.  I see diodes soldered next to every switch, but not sure if there's a resistor somewhere leading to the LED holes.

http://diybbs.zol.com.cn/gallery-34252-226-8003187.html

Too much blur on those photos.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 17:07:13 »
Here is a better partial shot of a pre-production model:
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 17:27:57 »
@TimIsABat: On the website it says something about FN+Q = LED. What does that mean?
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 17:44:59 »
It toggles the Esc to ` and vice versa. It also turns on the LED on the Insert key to show that the swap is active.

Offline insomniak

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 10:41:07 »
I have this board also with MX Clears.  Have you noticed after some use that the lettering started to fade?  I still am getting used to the rough feel to the PBT keycaps but the build quality is great.  I've been more than satisfied with this board as my first 60%+ keyboard. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 10:56:11 »
I have been using this board for about a month now. It has brown switches. I just made a change using the dip switches, I switch FN for windows key. Now the access of PgUp, PgDw, Home and End keys is very natural, keeping the FN down with the left and navigating with the right.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 16:10:54 »
I have this board also with MX Clears.  Have you noticed after some use that the lettering started to fade?  I still am getting used to the rough feel to the PBT keycaps but the build quality is great.  I've been more than satisfied with this board as my first 60%+ keyboard. 

Fading legends is one of only two problems reported by a few people about these keyboards.  The other is lighter springs in the arrow keys, but I think that is more the FC660C variant.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 16:16:39 »

Fading legends is one of only two problems reported by a few people about these keyboards.  The other is lighter springs in the arrow keys, but I think that is more the FC660C variant.

I don't use the original caps, I replaced them right out of the box with original cherry DS. It feels awesome.

Offline lilky

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 11:12:41 »
Nice review! Unusual layout, but looks like a nice keyboard :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 14:49:29 »
Nice review! Unusual layout, but looks like a nice keyboard :)

Unusual but very useful.

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 17:20:16 »
FC660Ms are selling for $50? What a steal!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 18:00:05 »
I don't use the original caps, I replaced them right out of the box with original cherry DS. It feels awesome.

For sure, always replace the inferior junk with high quality Caps, that way your purchase works as it should......perfectly  :thumb: .

Plus with so many GB's running I'm sure you can find even more caps to fill your keyboard with as time goes by.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 18:20:01 »

I have never saw an FC660 for $50, do you have a link for the interested parties?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 18:22:36 »

:eek:

Link?!?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 18:23:35 »

For sure, always replace the inferior junk with high quality Caps, that way your purchase works as it should......perfectly  :thumb: .

Plus with so many GB's running I'm sure you can find even more caps to fill your keyboard with as time goes by.

That's right. I hope the Macross / Robotech GB to run smoothly so I may get another super nice set for this already awesome board.

Offline legodt

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 19:19:37 »
No way this board goes for 50USD

Great review, thanks for showing off the dipswitches!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 19:23:55 »

:o

Link?!?

Rowdy's right, for $50 I'll get a few of them for sure  :thumb: .

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 22:32:33 »

I have never saw an FC660 for $50, do you have a link for the interested parties?

Me either. This guy who reviewed it said he got one used for $50. If I knew where, I'd already have one lol.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 00:30:59 »

Me either. This guy who reviewed it said he got one used for $50. If I knew where, I'd already have one lol.

Oh yeah, but I think it was a one time isolated event. I suppose the guy/girl who sold it does not know about its actual value, or he/she was in an urgent need for some money.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 01:18:05 »
did anybody here actually read the review?

I bought the board off of eBay from GH netizen Valerie. She didn't want the board because she rather have the MX Browns and this was a steal because she was selling it for $50. So I was like, "Instead of buying an uber expensive board. I will buy this one and buy another board later." So, I bought this with MX Reds (although I wanted to try brown at first, but reds are still very nice and I like it).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 08:22:14 »
did anybody here actually read the review?

I read it when it was written, but I already forgot the original "plot". And you may have peace of mind, I have both red and brown, and they both feel pretty much the same.  :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 11:55:06 »
The upcoming Skull Squadron set fits this nicely. Take a look at it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:23:48 »

The price for the skull squadron set has drop down to only $44 for the base set.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 08:31:36 »
That's what I plan to do.

Also trying to get a custom plate designed so the board becomes more compatible with a variety of keysets.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 10:33:33 »

Also trying to get a custom plate designed so the board becomes more compatible with a variety of keysets.

I supose you meant the stems positions of the space bar. i do not see any other key that may be relocated, unless you redesign the PCB also. You may want to consider the new PBT DSA set that it is now at the IC phase. It will enter the GB phase very soon.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 March 2014, 10:43:47 by ideus »

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:46:39 »

I supose you meant the stems positions of the space bar. i do not see any other key that may be relocated, unless you redesign the PCB also. You may want to consider the new PBT DSA set that it is now at the IC phase. It will enter the GB phase very soon.
Yeah, that's the main thing. Those weird stabs make it difficult to fit any custom keysets.

Thanks for the heads up. Never really been a fan of the classic two-tone colour combination though.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x