Author Topic: Greetings from the 70's  (Read 5851 times)

Offline Ictinike

Greetings from the 70's
« on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 00:09:41 »
GeekHack,

Greetings.  I am Ictinike (Ick-tah-knee-kay) or Icky (Ick-ee) for short and would like to introduce myself.

I am of the 70's generation, 73 to be exact, so that likely makes me older than most here statistically.  Oh sure, there are the exceptions and I'm sure there is some resident 'old guy' like me who hangs around teaching all you young-fry how it was 'back in the day', amright? ;)

So I'm a 20+ year .. 'victim' .. of the IT world from the early '90's until this very day.  Software Engineer by day and father/husband by night (which a whole lot of gamer in between) I have been using various types of tech since their origin and one that I never really adopted, until now hopefuly, are mechanical keyboards.

See, back in the day (oh crap, there's that saying again), most of the keyboards I had used were in fact mechanical and while I don't remember specifics I don't remember anything different because there were little differences but most where already mechanical.  Since then, like most, I've adopted the membrane and really for what I do [coding, emailing, threatening employees of mine] these have done well but upon investigating some recent images I've seen of the Planck and Preonic on MassDrop; I've decided to jump back in the kiddie-.. Gentlemans-Pool again with mechanicals.

I see much has been going on and things are up-and-coming and that excites me.  I never really had a preference until I read I should have a preference (lmao) so I'm jumping in with both feet on a new OLKB Preonic w/ 65g Tactile Zealio's (who I've been reading here awhile before joining, woo! go ZealPc!) from MassDrop.  I'm sure I'll have fun building it and only when I've shown my 2 sons, now 17 and 15, did it spark something inside of them (unless it was gas from the previous 'Taco Tuesday') so I may be in this for the long run, which if we calculate as well take into account family histories; really only has me lasting another 28.64 years, LOL.

So, just wanted to come in and spray some urine around like most old dogs do trying to carve out their piece of the territory.. So if I happened to splash a little extra your way or you happened to take offence of anything I might have stated, well.. yeah.. Sorry?

~Icky

Offline jaffers

Re: Greetings from the 70's
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 00:52:36 »
hi

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:57:29 »
Ya youngsters with ya clicky-boards, back in my day I used to type on a typewriter, now that's what I call a real keyboard, not these flimsy sheets of plastic, Bah!

Don't worry, just joking! I'm only 19, but collect and still use typewriters, welcome to the forum! 

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 19:57:37 »
All that time spent with mechanical keyboards and you don't remember the specifics? Blasphemy I say!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 20:08:36 »
The older the better! Keyboards, people, scotch, you name it  :p
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 06:00:07 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There are quite a few more mature members here, child, and most have deep technical knowledge that they are able to impart in an easily understandable way, often with pictures, and usually as they have gone down those roads many times themselves over the centuries.  I mean years.

There is a love of vintage keyboards too, and it's amazing how we took them for granted back in the day, and then for some reason didn't miss them at all until suddenly we are faced with a modern mechanical keyboard :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ictinike

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 11:20:01 »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone but due to my age it may take me a bit to process it all.. lol

Welcome to Geekhack!

There are quite a few more mature members here, child, and most have deep technical knowledge that they are able to impart in an easily understandable way, often with pictures, and usually as they have gone down those roads many times themselves over the centuries.  I mean years.

There is a love of vintage keyboards too, and it's amazing how we took them for granted back in the day, and then for some reason didn't miss them at all until suddenly we are faced with a modern mechanical keyboard :D

Yes, literally took them for granted back in the day..

It's a shame but I am so happy the new generations are picking up where we failed at times.. Well, OK with keyboards mainly cause the rest of the world's problems.. That's the generations before me (lmao, it's always that way, huh? ;) )

The older the better! Keyboards, people, scotch, you name it  :p

Ahh yeah.. There's something about the smell of a vintage keyboard, scotch.. umm, OK well maybe not people.  I do find myself exhibiting quite the array of smells lately, lol

Ya youngsters with ya clicky-boards, back in my day I used to type on a typewriter, now that's what I call a real keyboard, not these flimsy sheets of plastic, Bah!

Don't worry, just joking! I'm only 19, but collect and still use typewriters, welcome to the forum! 

Ha! yeah I really remember my High School typing class, back when they still had them.  I really enjoyed it because I was quite proficient, compared to the other teens at that time with me, because of all my programming done on my C64!  Glorious days! 

It's good to see the next generations picking up and expanding our legacy, lol ;)

All that time spent with mechanical keyboards and you don't remember the specifics? Blasphemy I say!
Show Image

I know, right?  I do remember some like the old IBM keyboards working with an AS400 back in the day and others but as stated by others I took them from granted and they became as common as 64k boot and double sided-double density disks! :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:49:50 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, literally took them for granted back in the day..

It's a shame but I am so happy the new generations are picking up where we failed at times.. Well, OK with keyboards mainly cause the rest of the world's problems.. That's the generations before me (lmao, it's always that way, huh? ;) )

The new generation has backlit keyboards.  And coloured aluminium cases.  And fancy keycap sets.  And matching USB cables.

What happened to the old beige boxes with matching beige keyboards?  Everyone had the same thing, and you just used them.  We didn't worry about customising them back then, in fact there wasn't much you could do to a keyboard.  Except type on it, that is.

I wouldn't necessarily say we failed at anything, just that the younger generation likes shiny flashing things, whereas we were content to just do our work and get away from the computer to enjoy life more.  Maybe.  Sometimes.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ictinike

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:01:43 »

The new generation has backlit keyboards.  And coloured aluminium cases.  And fancy keycap sets.  And matching USB cables.

What happened to the old beige boxes with matching beige keyboards?  Everyone had the same thing, and you just used them.  We didn't worry about customising them back then, in fact there wasn't much you could do to a keyboard.  Except type on it, that is.

I wouldn't necessarily say we failed at anything, just that the younger generation likes shiny flashing things, whereas we were content to just do our work and get away from the computer to enjoy life more.  Maybe.  Sometimes.

Well stated my friend, well stated!

:thumb:

Offline Metapunk

• Location: Munich, Bavaria, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Laniakea
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:21:36 »
Oh, you are my age.

I started with typewiters. First electronic keyboard was a Commodore VC 20.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 05:58:54 »
Oh, you are my age.

I started with typewiters. First electronic keyboard was a Commodore VC 20.

Colour?  Built in sound?  Luxury!

Offline Metapunk

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 06:07:17 »

That's obviously the point.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 06:13:29 »

My first computer had 128x48 graphics (monochrome) and 16KB RAM.

Offline Metapunk

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 06:24:42 »

TRS-80?

I was 5 years old when that one came to market.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 05:45:56 »

TRS-80?

I was 5 years old when that one came to market.

System 80 - Aussie version of the TRS-80.  It has a built-in cassette player and a wood grain pattern on each end of the plastic case.

So 70s!

Offline izilla

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 20:23:01 »
I am also in software development and I pretty new and green 5 years or so experience and I have always enjoyed a great keyboard. Its like a chef who has a good understanding of their knives. I never really got that from my first years in Uni but as you begin courses in design and patterns a logical connection between and the tactile and product is a clear analogy. Especially now that I care about what I create (software wise) and how I create it. You would never know the difference between a nice meal created with sharp can lid and some fancy hand-built cutting knife but of course the enjoyment of the process is for the Chef and not you the consumer likewise a well written novel scribed into the sand with a stick would not be any less enjoyed than one penned with $1000 fountain pen.zzzz

Offline cozmonort

• Coz Caps
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 09:22:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!!

Always good to have some more mature members, my kids sometimes make me feel ancient....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 02:47:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!!

Always good to have some more mature members, my kids sometimes make me feel ancient....

Kids always make you feel old, especially as they seem to grow up so quickly.

Offline hippiepete

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:07:46 »

sounds like a beast !!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 01:18:02 »

sounds like a beast !!

It was heavy enough!

Offline eohmiller

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:22:36 »
Must have been fun to grow up with such cool keyboards everywhere(:

Offline khirin

• Do more, with less.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 04:45:48 »
Welcome to geekhack!.  I'm from 70s too.   When people  here say vintage keyboards, those kb are actually of keyboards I used when I was a teenager or so. Things have gone fast.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 02:10:07 »
Must have been fun to grow up with such cool keyboards everywhere(:

You didn't even notice back then, you just used them and appreciated all that wonderful new technology.

It was only when the good keyboards were gone and membrane keyboards became widespread in the interests of cheaper manufacturing costs that we started to miss the old keyboards.

Offline Ictinike

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:01:42 »
Ha!  I love the responses and too many and too good to quote them all!

I'm glad there are other members of my age bracket and yes my kids also make me feel old when they ask things like, what were regular phones like?  Regular phones?  Yeah the corded to the wall ones that you had to spin the dial to call someone.  Ugh..

I remember the 80's and 90's as well the Rotor (a TV antenna calibration device, because we did not have cable) and my very first Commodore which I still have to this day; keyboard/cpu as well 5 1/4 disk drives and the elusive cassette tape loader!  Maybe I should pull out the 'ol Commodore and take some vanity shots, lol..

Again, thank you all for the warm replies and after receiving my first mechanical, the MagicForce 68key off Amazon; I know I made the right choice picking up both the Preonic and Planck as well others from abroad and MassDrop.  I'm going to be in mechanical heaven around June to Aug! :)

Cheers,
~Icky

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:46:06 »
I don't know about the US, but the old rotary dial phone used to be on a small stand in the middle of the hallway.  If you wanted to make or receive a phone call, you had to stand in the hallway.  We had a notebook and pencil for taking messages.  And everyone shared the same phone.

Sounds unbelievable in today's world where nearly everyone has a mobile phone.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 07:16:22 »
I don't know about the US, but the old rotary dial phone used to be on a small stand in the middle of the hallway.  If you wanted to make or receive a phone call, you had to stand in the hallway.  We had a notebook and pencil for taking messages.  And everyone shared the same phone.

Sounds unbelievable in today's world where nearly everyone has a mobile phone.

AFAIK US base housing had those rotary phones during the 80s. I was an industrious little three year old but I couldn't figure out how to dial out with it. I blame Ghostbusters :)) I think it was one of the ones with a clear dial assembly but I could be mistaken

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 07:38:58 »
I'm sure there is some resident 'old guy' like me who hangs around teaching all you young-fry how it was 'back in the day', amright? ;)

Ah, yes.  I believe you are looking for fohat.digs;)

Welcome to geekhack!  Enjoy your stay, and try not to get sucked in too far.  ^-^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 02:20:44 »
I'm sure there is some resident 'old guy' like me who hangs around teaching all you young-fry how it was 'back in the day', amright? ;)

Ah, yes.  I believe you are looking for fohat.digs;)

Welcome to geekhack!  Enjoy your stay, and try not to get sucked in too far.  ^-^

Personal text "weird funny old guy" - seems to match the profile!