Author Topic: Gedday from Melbin Astraya  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Sakeb

Gedday from Melbin Astraya
« on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 23:16:38 »
Hello online pals,
Long time lurker, first time poster over here, as you can see.
I've been a mech fan since my first IT job in the early 2000s, when my boss gave me what I now know was a Model M. He explained why mechanical keyswitches were important, and in the manner of the young professional I was, I said "whatever, old man" and proceeded to stash it somewhere because I didn't have a DIN to PS/2 adapter at home. It was a different time.
It is probably somewhere in storage at Mum's place, among the young adult novels and broken guitars.
Several millenia later, after I had tossed in the IT towel, I devolved into a literature student and ironically I found myself typing a heck of a lot more. I invested in a WASD v2 and did a custom design (as seen below) that I quite liked. I still type on this today, but many spilled beers and wines have made the Cherry Blues a little uncomfortable to use, so I find myself looking for something new and expensive and shiny - I'd love to try Topre one day, but I'm still not quite sure about making the jump. I'd also really like to try the SA profile, so I may stick with MX for now. Graagh! So many options, so few dollars.
Anyhow, here's some photos of my WASD, and I look forward to engaging discussions and empty wallets!

http://imgur.com/a/iV0Ee
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2016, 19:50:31 by Sakeb »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Gedday from Melbin Astraya
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 02:59:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Are those alpha keys from QWERkeys?  Or did the whole lot come from WASD?

Most keyboards don't like liquids, especially the sticky kinds.  Especially MX blues!  Those tiny sliders in the switches gum up quite easily.  Apparently they can be cleaned by disassembly and immersion in isopropyl alcohol, but that's a lot of work, especially for plate-mounted switches, and you'd still have doubts as to how long the switches would last.

Model Ms, at least some models, have drainage channels :))

There is a RealForce with Topre switches and keycaps similar to SA - you could kill two birds with one stone.

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rf104&pid=yk2100
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gain

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 03:10:32 »
Welcome! If you're not too far from inner-eastern suburbs and still keen on Topre (or whatever switch for that matter, I have too many for my own good, that's what this forum does to you :P) you're welcome to give'em a shot  :thumb:

Enjoy you stay and my condolences in advance to your wallet.

Offline Sakeb

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 18:05:53 »
@rowdy - The whole lot is from WASD. The font on the alphas is called Akzidenz-Grotesk, a forerunner of Helvetica. Have I inadvertently ripped off someone else's design? Apologies if so...
I have replaced a few individual switches - at ~$1 a pop, I find it hard to justify the effort involved in an alcohol bath :p I have a decent desoldering station that makes it easy (I had another past life in electronics) and have swapped a couple out already, but the whole keyboard is starting to just feel a bit like pushing through mud... OH WELL NEW KEYBOARD TIME Maybe a $300USD Topre will encourage me to keep drinks away from the computer! Those caps do look awesome...

@gain - Thanks for the awesome offer! I would love to take you up on that. I'm pretty hectic over the next week, but after that I might send you a pm?

Offline gain

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 19:36:25 »
@gain - Thanks for the awesome offer! I would love to take you up on that. I'm pretty hectic over the next week, but after that I might send you a pm?

Sure  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 20:07:11 »
@rowdy - The whole lot is from WASD. The font on the alphas is called Akzidenz-Grotesk, a forerunner of Helvetica. Have I inadvertently ripped off someone else's design? Apologies if so...
I have replaced a few individual switches - at ~$1 a pop, I find it hard to justify the effort involved in an alcohol bath :p I have a decent desoldering station that makes it easy (I had another past life in electronics) and have swapped a couple out already, but the whole keyboard is starting to just feel a bit like pushing through mud... OH WELL NEW KEYBOARD TIME Maybe a $300USD Topre will encourage me to keep drinks away from the computer! Those caps do look awesome...

Nope, QWERkeys had various keys in that three shot style, but I don't recall seeing a full set of alphas before.  I think they mainly did WASD keys and function keys, it just looked similar.

The worst I've done is gotten a few drips, literally, of coffee on my first Ducky Shine.  A couple of keys went slightly mushy, but came good again after a bit of mashing.  I've been extremely careful ever since.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ