Author Topic: Hello from Canada, eh!  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Enz0man

Hello from Canada, eh!
« on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 01:20:46 »
Hey guys! I'm new here and relatively new to mechanical keyboards. My main keyboard is currently a Logitech G710+ which I am just starting to do a few basic mods to. Painting and new keycaps :)

I also have a Fujitsu Peerless FKB4725 which I actually found in an electronic waste dumpster outside of a school! I had no idea what it was so i took it. Sadly while taking the keys off for cleaning, I broke the plastic mounts for the spacebar support, so now it's all floppy :(

And my most recent purchase is an IBM Model M2 from my local classifieds for $10. Brought it home and was excited to use it, however the 1 Q A and Z keys didn't work for the first few tries, then comes the famous Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights. So unsurprisingly, that one needs some new resistors. This keyboard is actually how I found out about this site!

I am glad to be a new member and hope to learn lots very soon, so bear with my noobiness for a while XD

Offline Coreda

Re: Hello from Canada, eh!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 02:34:20 »
Ahoy! Welcome aboard.

Looks like you'll have a couple little projects on your hands :) Were you searching for Model M repair threads?

Offline Enz0man

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 02:41:15 »
Ahoy! Welcome aboard.

Looks like you'll have a couple little projects on your hands :) Were you searching for Model M repair threads?

Yeah i knew about the IBM Model M before, and knew that it had buckling springs, but really didn't know much more than that. Then one day i started to look around at keyboards and on reddit and various other places and kind of got a new found interest for keyboards. So i just quickly searched for keyboards on my local classifieds and stumbled upon that M2. I didn't think it would be anything cause it didn't look like a normal Model M, but i figured it was worth a google anyway. Then as soon as I found out it had buckling springs, I jumped on it. I know it's not an original Model M, but it was cheap and it'll be an interesting project.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 06:05:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Those Model M are built like tanks - chances are it's something simple like a ribbon cable slightly unseated.  You'll need a special socket driver to open the case, but once inside it's fairly simple.  Provided there's not something more sinister happening, like all the rivets fell off, which is also fixable.

The FKB4725 can probably also be fixed - that's the great thing about mechanical keyboards, that they are made from a number of mechanical parts that can usually be replaced :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ