Author Topic: [IC] Bacca70 70% Keyboard (GB September 17th!)  (Read 20045 times)

Offline Chewwy

[IC] Bacca70 70% Keyboard (GB September 17th!)
« on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 17:07:44 »
Welcome to the Bacca70 Interest Check!

274391-0

For those who do not know I am Chewwy the Co-Designer of the Bacca60/Squid60 along with BlindAssassin. After 3 successful runs of the Bacca60 and Squid60 (same board just a rename for a special run) I am here introducing the new Bacca70!

Group Buy is September 17th 12:00PM CT at https://3dkeebs.com/

FILL OUT THE FORM HERE! https://forms.gle/svrhkDrk2GHYjvad9

You can check with 3DKeebs for Group Buy Updates or the Mechs on Deck Channel
For up to date info on the Group Buy join the MechsonDeck Discord and type !bacca70 for updates.  Link here https://discord.gg/p8taPFGjDV
I will also simultaneously post on the 3DKeebs discord here https://discord.gg/sxRr9ynMGu

PRICE

I want to go ahead and list the price right now because I know that many people will stop reading after the price is shown. THIS BOARD WILL BE $550

This is an expensive board. I know.  I am not happy that I am having to charge that much for this board.  Why is it so expensive?  Aluminium prices are through the roof.  Most raw materials are through the roof. MCU Shortages for the PCB have caused PCBs to be way more expensive than they usually are. This board is also a very thick and hefty keyboard that requires a lot of metal. To be able to afford extras so that I can ensure that everyone in the GB gets an A-Stock board, I have to charge $550.

The board can be purchased in either Anodized Black or E-White

What do you get with your purchase
Bacca70 Keyboard
Bacca70 Plate
Bacca70 PCB
(Still working out details for a carrying case)

PCB
So with this layout I had to have a proprietary PCB made to fit the case and layout. I highly recommend buying a second pcb.  I don’t know when the next time I will run this board again and have no plans to keep the pcb in stock after the group buy.
The PCB was designed by BlindAssassin with a left mounted USB Type-C Port.
I am in the process of getting the PCB ported into QMK and VIA with the help of Keebnewb.  It has not been 100% ported yet for mass use but I do not want to ship the PCBs or orders out without the PCB fully functioning.

The Design

I am sticking with the familiar design language as the Bacca60 with the unique side profile and focus on the plate having minimal layout options for maximum stiffness in the plate. The mounting style is sandwich mount.
This design is a continuation of the Bacca60.  I bought a TX60 many years back and loved that board so much but thought there were a few things about it, especially the plate, that could be improved and I asked BlindAssassin to help me design the Bacca60.

The Layout
274403-1
The Bacca70 layout was something I thought about a few years back. I really love how keycap sets look with the F-Row.  My favorite layout (until getting this prototype) has been 60% for its symmetry but I always hated not being able to use the F-Row caps to round out the design of keysets. Having an F-Row has its benefits of adding more keys to layer one without adding any horizontal space to the board. I am not the first person to design a board in this layout but there are very few boards that have this layout and no public group buy that I can think of that did this layout. 

Issues with my past boards and how they have been addressed.
WKL spacing on the original run of the Bacca60 has been fixed since the Squid60.
The plate had a small amount of rattle around the WKL blockers. This issue persisted with the Squid60.  I have built the prototype Bacca70 and I can hear no rattle or ping from this area as we have taken steps to prevent this from happening again.

DEBACCABEAN
274399-2
After a long courtship by Dededecline and JnlyBean, I have decided to release an ortholinear version of this board called the Debaccabean layout. This is a 79 or 81 keys ortholinear layout with the option for split 3u spacebars or a 7u spacebar on the bottom row.  This version will cost $10 more than the group buy totaling $560 due to the extra machining on the plate.  You also have the option to add a plate/pcb to the standard Bacca70 board with the plate and PCB costing $50 each.
Please indicate if you are interested in this layout in the google form at the bottom of the post.

Fulfillment and Quality of A-Stock
3Dkeebs will be selling and shipping the boards but I will be going to the warehouse to personally QC all of the boards.  A-Stock boards are boards that have no blemishes or scratches when the board is completely built.  There are also no blemishes or deep scratches on the inside of the board but I will not consider light machining marks on the inside of the board B-Stock.  I also do not consider hook marks that are on the inside of the side of the case a B-Stock.  These are things that once the board is built will not be seen or have any effect on the boards look and function. 

Specs
70% Layout(60% with F13 F-row)
7 degree typing angle
Sandwich mount
Aluminum case
Brass Plate
Brass Weight
Proprietary PCB
~7 pounds/~3175g  fully built

I am running this board through the US vendor 3DKeebs and there will be 40 boards available for purchase in either E-White or Black.  The Group Buy will run September 17th at 12:00pm CT and will be open for 1 week or until the 40 Units have sold.  At this time I have no plans on any overseas vendors.  This is the first run of this board and I plan on running future group buys for this board and I may consider more vendors for those boards but not this run.

Here are pictures of the Prototype Board
274393-3
274395-4
274397-5
274401-6

FILL OUT THE FORM HERE! https://forms.gle/svrhkDrk2GHYjvad9

Special thanks to BlindAssassin, Dededecline, Keebnewb, 3DKeebs, 0sirisTV, JnlyBean, StaticAge and many others for all of the help and support!

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 September 2021, 13:55:51 by Chewwy »

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
Re: [IC] Bacca70 &0% Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 17:13:52 »
DeBaccaBean gang!

Offline paperassgasket

Re: [IC] Bacca70 70% Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 17:19:00 »
This might actually make me an ortho convert.

Offline IO Sam

• IO Sam Hub
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 17:19:31 »
Looks incredible!!! Stunning design!

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 17:21:38 »
That symmetry, especially on the ortho version, so hawt! I love how the proto turned out.

Offline 10peaches

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 17:24:58 »
I like this more than expected! If the timing is right, would definitely join.

Offline pnw-g

• i have a dog
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 17:47:44 »
cool. glwic, chewwy.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 19:42:09 »
Very very  nice layout!

Woukd be good to know where they will ship from geographically.

Offline Chewwy

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 19:48:54 »
Very very  nice layout!

Woukd be good to know where they will ship from geographically.

Good call. Thanks for the input.  Adding in the post but ships from US.

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 03:05:00 »
Great design and layout! I once saw a Niz board with this layout and it's been on my list of "have to try" ever since.
I love that it's WKL as well! It checks all the boxes for me
However, he price tag puts this out of my budget, but I definitely hope to see this layout more in the future!

Also mad props for willing to offer an ortho version.

Offline Chewwy

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 09:25:25 »
Great design and layout! I once saw a Niz board with this layout and it's been on my list of "have to try" ever since.
I love that it's WKL as well! It checks all the boxes for me
However, he price tag puts this out of my budget, but I definitely hope to see this layout more in the future!

Also mad props for willing to offer an ortho version.

Thanks for the kind words! I really wish I could make this board cheaper but raw metal and MCU shortages have caused prices to skyrocket.  My hope for this group buy is to popularize this layout as I think it is really missing from the standard line-up of boards. I want more boards in this layout.

Offline shendoo

• *RAUGHS*
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 14:54:35 »
Love the look and creativity behind it ! A bit too steep of a price for me but gorgeous nonetheless! GLWIC !

Offline davisthegreat

• 3DKeebs
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 14:45:48 »
Its a THICC 60% with F ROW, get your **** together and get in HERE!!! :)

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 09:49:35 »
Legit the only 70-75% I actually want. Damn you, sir.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 August 2021, 05:59:53 »
I'd love the layout but the price is too high. can't someone make a ****ty version with this layout? it's just a keyboard

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 August 2021, 07:54:40 »
I'd love the layout but the price is too high. can't someone make a ****ty version with this layout? it's just a keyboard

Price seems reasonable to me based on the materials and time and effort to run a GB. This community is pretty cool in the fact that you can always do it yourself if you feel that something costs too much. It might actually give you an appreciation as to what good GB runners do.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 13:09:05 »
3-1-3 Bar support on Non-ortho please! also any centered USB avail?

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 13:48:02 »
nice classic deisgn with a fun layout, glwgb, curious how much does it weigh?
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline LovelyUncle

• Vanmech
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 02:22:12 »
I am hyped for that ortho layout

Offline Chewwy

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 14:40:40 »
nice classic deisgn with a fun layout, glwgb, curious how much does it weigh?

Fully built it weighs just over 7 pounds.

Offline keywi

Re: [IC] Bacca70 70% Keyboard (GB September 17th!)
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 04:48:08 »
I love this layout and hope to see more projects adopting it. GLWIC!

Offline Grindbox

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 17:42:06 »
The Debaccabean is something we did not know the world needed.

Offline Chewwy

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 September 2021, 11:26:58 »
I love this layout and hope to see more projects adopting it. GLWIC!

I am hoping this layout catches on more.  I have been using this board for a few weeks now and as an avid 60% user I have loved every second of it. Call me biased because I 100% am but I can easily say this is my favorite layout.

Offline moh18one

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 06:00:18 »
I definitely can't  afford such a keyboard at the moment, which breaks my heart, but I really dig this particular layout (especially the one with the split spacebars because it ticks all the boxes in my search of endgame layout). I wonder why this size isn't more popular out there.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 06:08:01 »
Any plans to offer this in WK, or know any similar projects that would include that? It's very close to the perfect layout for me.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit