Author Topic: its a heatwave  (Read 13583 times)

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 23:16:56 »
its not as bad as they predicted but its bad enough.

broke down and bought a new AC from bestbuy.  My old one was a glorified dehumidifier when i got it, and is currently a glorified window fan.

Problem is the fuse in our apartment keeps blowing cuz everyone's got their ac's blasting.  I'll be adding mine to the mix, and together my roommates and I will ensure that no one gets to use their ac, lol.

I'll have to set up a schedule where we turn on our ac's one at a time in shifts!  If someone doesnt follow the schedule, easy -- just turn yours on anyway and the fuse blows and no one gets ac ;)
Lol.

Bought an 'energy star' model. Feeling very environmentally friendly, tho truth be told I was forced to look for a low-current-draw model because of that fuse problem, lol.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
its a heatwave
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 05:44:46 »
This sucks, but I know the problem well...
Washing-machine, water-heater, vacuum-cleaner, microwave,
if I turn on more than one of those, our fuse flips as well! >_<

Offline lmnop

its a heatwave
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 06:36:40 »
why don't you buy a fuse that has more amperage?

Offline itlnstln

its a heatwave
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 06:44:31 »
Pussies.

Offline hyperlinked

its a heatwave
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 06:53:04 »
Quote from: itlnstln;200187
Pussies.

It's not dry heat. ;)

One of my summers in Boston I spent riding out a heat wave in a very hot and very poorly ventilated apartment. It was so hot that I barely got more than a hour or two of sleep 15 minutes at a time for three days. When I finally was so exhausted that I slept for a full hour, I woke up to the sound of splashing water when I rolled over.

I jumped straight out of bed. "What the ****!! I pissed in my pants? I can't believe I pissed my pants!"

Then I patted my pants. They were damp, but not all that wet. I took a sniff. Nope, didn't smell like I used my bed as the loo. It was so hot that a puddle of sweat gathered on my bed.

Gross at it might sound, I was so tired that I splashed back into bed and slept for another hour.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline itlnstln

its a heatwave
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 06:56:12 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;200188
It's not dry heat. ;)

It isn't here, either.  90%+ humidity pretty much every day. We get the Gulf air coming in from the south.

Our living spaces, offices, etc. are setup to better handle heat, though.

Offline gr1m

its a heatwave
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 07:24:09 »
I might take my computer and set up at the local mall that has AC. I hope nobody minds my interval masturbating.

Offline phillip

its a heatwave
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 07:35:37 »
i'd die without a/c

Offline itlnstln

its a heatwave
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 07:42:05 »
I go out and play disc golf in this.  It's no biggie.  Just make sure you have plenty of water with you.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
its a heatwave
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 07:57:10 »
Quote from: lmnop;200185
1. I live in a flat for rent, so the landlord would kick my ass when I tinker with his electro installations without authorization...
2. Even worse, if the house burns down, the insurance wouldn't pay a single cent, and I had to pay like a million dollars on my own

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
its a heatwave
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 07:59:36 »
Quote from: itlnstln;200205
I go out and play disc golf in this.  It's no biggie.  Just make sure you have plenty of water with you.

Why not play real golf?  Just hope they are watering the greens when you are playing.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline itlnstln

its a heatwave
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:03:21 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;200208
Why not play real golf?  Just hope they are watering the greens when you are playing.

Real golf isn't as fun.  Besides the lack of greens in disc golf, we don't have any water in this part of the state, either.

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:04:07 »
Quote from: lmnop;200185

well i have to assume this amperege cutoff is in there for a reason... and that if we increase it the place would burn down from an overloaded outlet somewhere...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:05:35 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;200182
This sucks, but I know the problem well...
Washing-machine, water-heater, vacuum-cleaner, microwave,
if I turn on more than one of those, our fuse flips as well! >_<

another plus here is this AC comes with a remote control (my first remote control AC unit, feels decadent). I usually have to turn off the AC when I turn on the microwave :)  and the remote makes it a lot easier to do that.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:39:36 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:09:05 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;200188
It's not dry heat. ;)

One of my summers in Boston I spent riding out a heat wave in a very hot and very poorly ventilated apartment. It was so hot that I barely got more than a hour or two of sleep 15 minutes at a time for three days. When I finally was so exhausted that I slept for a full hour, I woke up to the sound of splashing water when I rolled over.

omg that was me last night. My bed was soaked. I got like 2 hours of sleep. Picking up my ac unit from BB this afternoon, cant wait.

yea, not a dry heat :)

I looked into dehumidifiers but they're just as expensive as AC's. Also dehumidifiers heat up a room cuz their heat exchange isnt sitting outside on the window sill. Its too bad because their current draw is probably somewhat less than an AC.

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:18:30 »

I used to play tennis in this, back in the day. I could never do school work in this tho. Or sleep well. Just came from a long weekend at my friends place in jersey, having experienced central air for 3 days, I guess I got spoiled ;)

So I have high hopes for this ac unit.  Its got "low starting voltage" feature, and a low power "economode". Draws about 4.5 amps, which is low (at 5000 btu's, most units drew over 5 amps). I hope it works.  

According to the guv'ments energy star table, this model is "13%" more efficient than the norm. (Damn, big guv'ment knows everything).  I did see two models that were "20%" more efficient, which sounds like a lot, but they cost $400. (I got this one for a mere $123).

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:19:45 »
Quote from: gr1m;200197
I might take my computer and set up at the local mall that has AC. I hope nobody minds my interval masturbating.

hell they'd probably join you.

Offline Nonmouse

its a heatwave
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:22:01 »
Quote from: wellington1869;200213
omg that was me last night. My bed was soaked. I got like 2 hours of sleep. Picking up my ac unit from BB this afternoon, cant wait.

yea, not a dry heat :)

I looked into dehumidifiers but they're just as expensive as AC's. Also dehumidifiers heat up a room cuz their heat exchange isnt sitting outside on the window sill. Its too bad because their current draw is probably somewhat less than an AC.

A dehumidifier is just a smallish AC unit- they just condense the water out on the cold side of the circuit.  Many (most?) ACs have a dehumidifier setting these days.

100° and 90% humidity here yesterday.  Had to keep the AC cranked to keep my reef tank from boiling its inhabitants.

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:22:47 »
I think this unit has a dehumidifier mode (unclear from the description tho i've seen that feature on the latest window AC units). That might allow me to keep it running constantly (lower power draw?) and still get some cooling effect from dehumidification. Fingers crossed.

Offline Nonmouse

its a heatwave
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:29:13 »
Does it have a powersave mode?  On mine, when it's on "Energy Saver", it switches the fan off when the compressor goes off, instead of running it constantly, so it uses less juice

Offline phillip

its a heatwave
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:41:16 »

well you're a crazy dude

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:58:11 »
Quote from: Nonmouse;200221
Does it have a powersave mode?  On mine, when it's on "Energy Saver", it switches the fan off when the compressor goes off, instead of running it constantly, so it uses less juice

I think it does. That might be the economode. Its got like a dozen modes.

One interesting mode is "sleep mode" where it raises the temperature by a few degrees an hour while you sleep. I think the idea is that as the outside air cools down overnight it will reduce its power consumption that way.

Not that the outside air has been cooling overnight these days.

I actually came in to work early just so i can sit in the freezing cold of my office :)  They crank the ac in here.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
its a heatwave
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:20:17 »
Just to add some picture evidence:

And that was after the car was sitting in the shade for 6 hours.

EDIT: I fixed the pic.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:42:37 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:27:27 »
How long do your window AC units last?  (ie, effectively cool down a room).  I've never had one that lasted more than 2 years. (Even when diligently cleaning the filter). Is it because i've always bought the inexpensive ones? Does that make a difference?

I dont get that because refridgerators use basically the same mechanism and those last for decades.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:32:49 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:34:06 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;200235
Just to add some picture evidence:

Show Image

And that was after the car was sitting in the shade for 6 hours.

cant see pic

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
its a heatwave
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:37:23 »
I don't have an air conditioner. Up here in CT there's no need for one.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:41:38 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;200241
I don't have an air conditioner. Up here in CT there's no need for one.

how can that be? you're between ny and boston and right in the middle of the heatwave!

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
its a heatwave
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:43:37 »
Just look at the evidence:

That was in CT.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
its a heatwave
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 11:14:29 »
Quote from: wellington1869;200237
How long do your window AC units last?  (ie, effectively cool down a room).  I've never had one that lasted more than 2 years. (Even when diligently cleaning the filter). Is it because i've always bought the inexpensive ones? Does that make a difference?

I dont get that because refridgerators use basically the same mechanism and those last for decades.

We had a sleeve type unit (sleeve != window, but similar build style), a late 1980s/early 1990s Electrohome.

We got it used and ran it all day, every day, every summer of my life until 2-3 years ago (I'm 20 now), and it now does similar duty for a family friend.

It won't stand up to all day abuse anymore as the compressor is worn to crap and it'll drop into some sub-functional really noisy condition if run for more than a few hours at a time, but it still runs. It's been serviced a maximum of 5 times in those 20 years.

It does happen to dim every light, CRT TV and monitor, and digital clock upon being turned on, so probably not the most energy efficient unit...but damn, that's longevity.

Gave it away upon moving into a house with central air. Unfortunately, the unit here is a good 15 years old, and apparently that's on the high end of central air life expectancy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2010, 11:17:09 by kishy »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 11:29:55 »
Quote from: kishy;200310
We had a sleeve type unit (sleeve != window, but similar build style), a late 1980s/early 1990s Electrohome.

We got it used and ran it all day, every day, every summer of my life until 2-3 years ago (I'm 20 now), and it now does similar duty for a family friend.

It won't stand up to all day abuse anymore as the compressor is worn to crap and it'll drop into some sub-functional really noisy condition if run for more than a few hours at a time, but it still runs. It's been serviced a maximum of 5 times in those 20 years.

It does happen to dim every light, CRT TV and monitor, and digital clock upon being turned on, so probably not the most energy efficient unit...but damn, that's longevity.

Gave it away upon moving into a house with central air. Unfortunately, the unit here is a good 15 years old, and apparently that's on the high end of central air life expectancy.

hmmm, maybe i should put a sleeve on the unit. (thats what she said). Wonder if that makes a difference.
I know folks who've had window units that lasted a decade. I've had like four AC's so far, each lasted only about 2 years. I must be doing something wrong or buying the wrong kind.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
its a heatwave
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 11:42:45 »
'Sleeve' being the metal box in the wall specifically designed for air conditioners, necessitating an air conditioner which has no side vents...using a window unit (especially one of decent size) in a sleeve is likely to result in death within 2 years.

I'm having a hard time finding a photo of one though, a lot of results for 'air conditioner sleeve' don't look like the right thing. It's basically a metal box, permanently mounted in the wall, with the inside and outside parts removable so the a/c can stick through. You then fill in the space around the unit with foam insulation.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2010, 11:45:48 by kishy »
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 11:58:25 »
Quote from: kishy;200330
'Sleeve' being the metal box in the wall specifically designed for air conditioners, necessitating an air conditioner which has no side vents...using a window unit (especially one of decent size) in a sleeve is likely to result in death within 2 years.

I'm having a hard time finding a photo of one though, a lot of results for 'air conditioner sleeve' don't look like the right thing. It's basically a metal box, permanently mounted in the wall, with the inside and outside parts removable so the a/c can stick through. You then fill in the space around the unit with foam insulation.

home depot sells just the sleeve, i think they have one for window units. Though you're right, the placement of the vents would be key.

When i move out into my own place I'll spring for a more expensive unit, just to see if it lasts longer.

I just walked outside, it was like a furnace blast in the face. Its like standing under a magnifying glass being held over you by some 50-foot kid.

Less humid than yesterday though.

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 12:05:33 »
i got a zipcar, by the way.  looking forward to taking one for a spin soon. Maybe i'll take one to pick up the AC.

got a discount on the annual fee thru my school.  The zipcar parking spot is like a block from my house.

They have some neat models to rent, too. Including a bmw (never driven one, i'm going to rent the zipcar one just to drive it), a mini (ditto), a mazda 3 (ditto), and some cool suv type stuff.

Cheaper than a cab... $8/hour, gas included, insurance included, 180 miles included. Not bad at all.  Road trip, anyone? :)

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
its a heatwave
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 12:06:28 »
Yesterday was gorgeous. It was warm, but there was a little bit of a cool breeze. Wasn't too humid either.

At least here in CT, it's more humid than yesterday, but it hasn't gotten to 100 degrees outside (It's 102 in the office I''m working in right now).
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline wellington1869

its a heatwave
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 12:11:20 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;200340
Yesterday was gorgeous. It was warm, but there was a little bit of a cool breeze. Wasn't too humid either.

At least here in CT, it's more humid than yesterday, but it hasn't gotten to 100 degrees outside (It's 102 in the office I''m working in right now).

lol, dude, you're so full of ****. If i cant trust your weather reports, how will i ever trust your views on the good society?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
its a heatwave
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 12:12:50 »
It actually is 102 in the office I've been working in today. I'm working on a computer in an office in a school, and there is no air conditioning. There are just big windows and closed doors (Heard of greenhouse effect).

Offline lmnop

its a heatwave
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 13:42:10 »
Quote from: wellington1869;200211
well i have to assume this amperege cutoff is in there for a reason... and that if we increase it the place would burn down from an overloaded outlet somewhere...

3 summers ago I had 2 window units installed and a fuse was blown so I bought a pack of fuses but they kept blowing because the amperage was to low so I bought a pack of fuses with double the amperage, closed one eye and screwed it in.

I haven't had a problem since and my apartment hasn't burned down. I run 2 computers and 2 5000 BTU window units on 1 fuse.

it's 44'c today with the humidity.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
its a heatwave
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 13:44:09 »
Typical circuits are given 10 or 15A breakers/fuses.

Going beyond that is a fire risk - the limit is 15 for a reason. Air conditioners are ideally given their own circuit with nothing else on it. If not possible, just put as few things as possible on the same one.
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
its a heatwave
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 13:45:47 »
Remember folks, wires are only rated to take so much current over them. If a circuit in your house was given a certain Amperage of fuse, it was probably done so for a good reason.

Offline lmnop

its a heatwave
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 13:53:28 »
yeah remember folks italians have more balls than brains.

I don't know much about electrical. my fuse box is labeled 1, 2, 3, 4 I had to guess which one was which. 1=Living Room and Kitchen, 2=Kitchen Oven, 3=Bedrooms, 4=Bathroom.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
its a heatwave
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 13:53:46 »
I made an air conditioner the office. I put a fan inside a refridgerator that was turned on.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
its a heatwave
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 13:57:44 »
Quote from: lmnop;200386

I don't know much about electrical. my fuse box is labeled 1, 2, 3, 4 I had to guess which one was which. 1=Living Room and Kitchen, 2=Kitchen Oven, 3=Bedrooms, 4=Bathroom.

Simplistic circuit breakers suck.

Our old 2 bedroom apartment had no less than 10 breakers (15A for all the normal circuits). Very well set up, if we'd wanted to we could have run a LOT of stuff without issue.
kishy.ca

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
its a heatwave
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 14:20:45 »
My house doesn't have circut breakers. I still use fuses.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
its a heatwave
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 14:27:37 »
I think the forum moderator should consider banning MS Windows.  His input is utterly worthless...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline lmnop

its a heatwave
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 14:34:39 »
I like him he is nostalgic :)

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
its a heatwave
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 14:37:08 »
I don't have any issue with him, he just says some of the most useless information sometimes.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

its a heatwave
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 14:41:08 »
What it's like when microsoft windows joins a thread (he's in the back):

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
its a heatwave
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 14:43:23 »
Good one muchadoaboutnothing.  Now we just need to wait for him to say something about all this.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline lmnop

its a heatwave
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 14:44:39 »
seniority is a ***** :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
its a heatwave
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 14:49:09 »
Quote from: lmnop;200386

In Italy, electricity was originally distributed in houses in two circuits until the 1970s - one for appliances, and one for lighting. The reason being that the government deemed electrical lightning an important need and appliances were seen as a luxury, so the electricity for lighting was charged much cheaper than the electricity for appliances.

The result? Lots of appliances were hooked up to light fittings...
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2010, 14:54:23 by ch_123 »