Author Topic: If I were the President of the United States  (Read 20265 times)

Offline luoshuiyu

If I were the President of the United States
« on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 03:48:01 »
If I were the President of the United States, I would perform the following reforms.

First, fully withdraw our troops from Iraq,. I would command the soldiers to return home before Christmas. Their mothers and fathers are eagerly waiting for them to come back and to have the whole family share the Christmas dinner together again.    

Second, I would concentrate on the financial crisis. The rich must help the poor. When the economic situation improves, wealthy enterprises and individuals would be compensated for their help under the supervision of the people and participation of the state. I hope that come next Christmas, everyone could enjoy a delicious turkey on their Christmas table.

Third, I would abolish irrational spending. Especially anything on Apple. Not only are the wage earners reluctant to buy products, but the students who don’t have so much money in the first place are going on Ebay and Lightinthebox to buy supercheap Chinese smart phones. If it was me, I would feel embarrassed. Since I cannot control the markets, I would just get rid of this and other dominating brands.

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 04:03:25 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:07:20 by kill will »
I <3 BS

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 10:46:13 »
Holy crap!  I hope you are never president.  (I guess you would be a dictator with that power)

If I could mold the government, I'd rectify the excesses of our federal government and reign it back in.  Specifically, I'd do the following:

Repeal the 17th ammendment - US Senators are meant to represent the state governments and should be elected by and report to the state legislatures.  These massive state-wide elections wasting millions of dollars need to stop.  And senators need to do their job and represent their state government interests...  not investigate baseball, school lunches, entertain celebrities, etc.  Ridiculous.

Slash the size of the Federal Government - Because a need exist doesn't mean it is the federal government's job to fulfill it.  Retirement, health care, unemployment subsidies, education, etc, etc should be handled at the state and local level.  The federal government should be limited to national defense and inter-state commerce.  I would eliminate the majority of the federal government as well as put a cap on how long Congress is in session.  When state legislatures are in session, the US Senators should be THERE, not in DC.  When they are in DC, they should stay in a barracks and NOT set up residence.  Same with US Representatives.  Spend the time in your home districts when not in DC (and stay in those same barracks when Congress is in session).

Get rid of the Federal Income Tax - Get rid of this tax and dismantle the huge infrastructure (IRS) that is needed to manage it.  Go with either a MODEST national sales tax (my preference) or have each of the states pay a certain, representative sum to the federal government for it's operations.  The states can fund their budgets however they like...state income tax, sales taxes, etc.  If we don't like how one state does it, we have the choice to move to another state.

Term Limits - Two terms max for all offices.  And no retirement plans, special health care plans, etc for members of Congress.  Serve your country and then return to the workforce.  The president is a special case and should be treated as such (inline with current policy...although I don't see why we need to fund their libraries or allow them to rent out space to secret service agents.  They should provide lodging for the secret service...buy a house with a spare bedroom for crying out loud!)  

It time to stop believing that it is the "rich people's" fault when we have massive federal debt and deficits.  This blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the Federal Government and our willingness to allow them to continue to spend like idiots.  The federal govt doesn't need to have its hands in all the various cookie jars (and shoiuldn't).  The Federal govt should not play the role of our safety net.  If we want/need that, set them up locally at the state/county/city level.  The Federal govt should have a very specific and limited role (as the forefathers intended).

Offline msiegel

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 11:06:50 »
Quote from: iMav;254335
If I could mold the government

too practical. where's the Pork, man! THE PORRRRRK!!!

;D

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 11:51:30 »
If I ruled the world, I'd free all my sons.  Black diamonds and pearls, if I ruled the world.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 11:58:19 »
wow imav. next i expect to read about you in the news, about how you disappeared into the woods and lived in a rundown cottage for a few years, then reappeared with a U-haul filled with fertilizer, circling around government buildings...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:02:46 »
The problem is, we ran lean at one time (The Articles of Confederation), and that was an absolute disaster.  The country wouldn't have stayed together.  The states had too much power, and there was little or no Federal tax, so there was nothing that could be funded at the national-level (armies and such).  Things would be a helluva lot simpler if there were no states or no nation.  Our country is kinda odd in that regard.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:06:07 »
Quote from: itlnstln;254371
The problem is, we ran lean at one time (The Articles of Confederation), and that was an absolute disaster.  The country wouldn't have stayed together.  The states had too much power, and there was little or no Federal tax, so there was nothing that could be funded at the national-level (armies and such).  Things would be a helluva lot simpler if there were no states or no nation.  Our country is kinda odd in that regard.

this.

dissolving power back to the states would only recreate that former anarchy, and lead to the dissolution of the US (to the delight of our fascist enemies everywhere).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline iMav

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:09:05 »
Actually, we ran lean under the current constitution for quite a while.  It's about a BALANCE of power...not shifting to one or the other.

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:12:07 »
Programs like unemployment insurance and social security fall under the powers of the Federal government as outlined in the constitution.

Quote from: US Constitution, Article I, Section 8, Clause 1
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

The sort of weak federal government we had under the Articles of Confederation would be an even bigger and quicker disaster today with high-speed communication, travel and integrated global commerce.
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:12:47 »
Quote from: iMav;254377
It's about a BALANCE of power...not shifting to one or the other.

i can agree with that in principle, tho prolly our understanding of what constitutes a good balance will probably be a bit different...

I definitely think the fed govt acts as a great balance and as protection for individuals who can appeal to it when they're exploited by any given state govt.

civil rights movement is a great example of that. Individual states would have continued having racist laws if it hadnt been for federal intervention based on the principle of uniform rights for all citizens gauranteed by a federal constitution which did (and ought to) override racist state constitutions in that regard.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:15:49 »
Quote from: iMav

It time to stop believing that it is the "rich people's" fault when we have massive federal debt and deficits.  This blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the Federal Government and our willingness to allow them to continue to spend like idiots.  The federal govt doesn't need to have its hands in all the various cookie jars (and shoiuldn't).  The Federal govt should not play the role of our safety net.  If we want/need that, set them up locally at the state/county/city level.  The Federal govt should have a very specific and limited role (as the forefathers intended).

This. I agree wholeheartedly with iMav.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:19:08 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;254381
This. I agree wholeheartedly with iMav.

no surprise there. And I think imav just winced ;)

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:22:54 »
Quote from: wellington1869;254382
no surprise there. And I think imav just winced ;)

I doubt that. Unlike you, I actually contribute more to this board than pure trolling.

Nice try though.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:41:01 »
The biggest problem with the US is that there are too many layers of government: city, state, and federal.   We manage the city and state levels very well, for the most part (IL and CA excluded).  What we don't manage well is the state to federal relationship. The question, then, becomes do want to be one country or fifty countries?  If I live in the US, I want every right that I have in one place to be valid in another.  If you shift too many public programs to the states, that won't be the case.  At that point, you would have 50 countries, and I don't think very many states would have the ability to defend/sustain itself on its own.  The US is unique in this regard.  Pretty much all other countries are the "one country" model, thus easier to govern.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:47:43 »
No, it's actually Bud Light.  Nobody drinks Lone Star.  That's for the tourists; same with Pearl.

Secession is still a popular idea here.  We would be one of the only states that would be able to stand alone.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:49:21 »
Quote from: itlnstln;254408
The biggest problem with the US is that there are too many layers of government: city, state, and federal.   We manage the city and state levels very well, for the most part (IL and CA excluded).  What we don't manage well is the state to federal relationship. The question, then, becomes do want to be one country or fifty countries?  If I live in the US, I want every right that I have in one place to be valid in another.  If you shift too many public programs to the states, that won't be the case.  At that point, you would have 50 countries, and I don't think very many states would have the ability to defend/sustain itself on its own.  The US is unique in this regard.  Pretty much all other countries are the "one country" model, thus easier to govern.

Interesting comment.
Look at home gov't and services are layered in Canada. Similar organization, but the power layer holds is different (in decision making power).
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:51:08 »
Canada is pretty similar to the US in some ways.  You have Quebec, we have Texas.  Both want to be their own countries.

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 12:54:09 »
It time to stop believing that it is the "rich people's" fault when we have massive federal debt and deficits...

A big part of the current deficit is caused by the current economic downturn. The economic downturn itself was caused by speculation on exotic financial derivatives traded by financial services firms, and the collapse of the resulting bubble. When the bubble created by the "investment class" collapsed, they came asking for a handout. Privatize the profits, socialize the losses.

The "rich people" are the ones that created this economic disaster, and they're going to do it again.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:02:42 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;254385
Unlike you, I actually contribute more to this board than pure trolling.

This is one of the reasons i love you KBL. You say these things which are so hilariously off the mark that there's nothing to do but smile.

took me a while to count up all those zeroes.  And 5 whole wiki contributions! You must have worked really hard that day ;) Talk to me once you've hit 158. And gotten above zero in the other categories. And a firmer grasp on reality ;P
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:06:29 by wellington1869 »

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:06:32 »
Quote from: wellington1869
This is one of the reasons i love you KBL. You say these things which are so hilariously off the mark that there's nothing to do but smile.

took me a while to count up all those zeroes.

The truth is you haven't posted **** about keyboards in months and you know it. The value and usefulness of your videos/mods etc. IMHO is questionable at best. I've seen a lot of FUD spreading by you on here.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:07:13 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;254442
The truth is you haven't posted **** about keyboards in months and you know it. The value and usefulness of your videos/mods etc. IMHO is questionable at best. I've seen a lot of FUD spreading by you on here.

in other words - blah blah blah you're wrong and  you cant admit it.

I know you have a man crush on me but come on. I'd respect you a lot more if you can just admit when you're dead wrong.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:08:10 »
Quote from: wellington1869
in other words - blah blah blah you're wrong and  you cant admit it.

In other words, no. The proof of your trolling is already evident and I'm not the only one on this board who has called you out on it. So quit crying and whining.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:13:22 »
And then there's that whole thing about food subsidization for forum trolls, but that might be out of scope for this discussion.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:23:41 »
If I were president.. I'd go.."Wow, how'd that happen?", and resign.  Who wants that crap job?
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:43:02 »
I'm no supporter of the invasion of Iraq, but given that US troops are around, they might as well stay around until the job of stabilizing the country is properly done. Likewise, the idea that the US and Co. will be able to happily run away from Afghanistan in 3-4 years is naive in the extreme - it took the Brits 30 years in Northern Ireland to pacify far less insane people in a far smaller country - that's what the US can look forward to in some way or another.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:58:25 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;254446
In other words, no. The proof of your trolling is already evident and I'm not the only one on this board who has called you out on it. So quit crying and whining.

thats right kbl, you are the voice of reason here.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 13:59:43 »
if i were president i'd outlaw atm fees.

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 14:00:37 »
We've already been in Afghanistan longer than Russia was, and look how well it worked out for them.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 14:10:14 »
We've already been in Afghanistan longer than Russia was, and look how well it worked out for them.

I love arguments that make sense.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 November 2010, 14:16:49 by ch_123 »

Offline iMav

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 14:11:00 »
Quote from: itlnstln;254421
Canada is pretty similar to the US in some ways.  You have Quebec, we have Texas.  Both want to be their own countries.
Except that Quebec can legally do it if they get the votes.  States cannot legally secede from the union (hence, the Civil War).

Offline chimera15

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 14:28:32 »
Quote from: ch_123;254467
I'm no supporter of the invasion of Iraq, but given that US troops are around, they might as well stay around until the job of stabilizing the country is properly done. Likewise, the idea that the US and Co. will be able to happily run away from Afghanistan in 3-4 years is naive in the extreme - it took the Brits 30 years in Northern Ireland to pacify far less insane people in a far smaller country - that's what the US can look forward to in some way or another.

Yup you're right.  I'm studying the Congo war right now for history class in college in order to write a research paper.  It's the worst war since ww2 with the most people dead, yet almost no one knows about it or what happened.  

You look at what happens when the world/America ignores these places, you get genocide.  It's what happened in Bosnia, Somalia, and Africa.  You have people without any education or goals they just end up killing each other.  Largely it's a result of interference in the first place and the imperialistic colonies of the West.  We can't just wash our hands of it.

The worst case is that after they get done killing each other they start sending terrorists to us which is what happened with Afghanistan.  We have a responsibility to these regions to restore peace and nation build them to be stable or it just ends up hurting us in the end.  That was what 911 proved.

The problem of course is it makes us the police of the world, pretty much hated by everyone as the police are in a gang/crime ridden neighborhood, and causes us financial hardship, and unable to compete economically with the world since so much our budget goes to defense and the war machine.  They can rely on us to protect them, and convert all the money they should be spending on defense themselves into economical and social programs like health care.    Really the good nations of the world need to pay us taxes to keep the world stable.  We should start charging the world protection fees. lol
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 November 2010, 14:34:22 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline mike

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 14:38:11 »
Quote from: itlnstln;254408
At that point, you would have 50 countries, and I don't think very many states would have the ability to defend/sustain itself on its own.  The US is unique in this regard.  Pretty much all other countries are the "one country" model, thus easier to govern.

There are plenty of countries smaller than most states that manage to sustain themselves; similarly defence can be managed - often with the use of mutual defence treaties. In fact the CIA world fact book compares the geographic size[0] of a country with US states for comparison - for instance France is slightly smaller than Texas, and the Czech Republic is about the size of South Carolina.

As to the 'one country' model of governance, I can think of three countries off the top of my head which don't fit that model - UK, Spain, and Germany. All of which are comprised of countries that really were separate countries in the past - unlike the states of the US (except for Texas and California).

0: I personally think when comparing countries, it is better by far to compare population sizes - people are by far the most important resource a country has.
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 14:45:05 »
itlnstln is a roll! haahaa

Quote from: chimera15;254459
If I were president.. I'd go.."Wow, how'd that happen?", and resign.  Who wants that crap job?

LoL!
I hurt my back yesterday and this ^^^ made me laugh so hard it hurts more!
Classic! =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Lanx

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 15:04:34 »
japan can have hawaii! who needs that tourist trap
canada and russia can fight for alaska they can divide the palins up equally.
cali and texas can go off on their own!
in fact the US should just be the original 13 colonies and probably just annex florida so we have a place to put the old ppl.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 15:41:14 »
Quote from: chimera15;254495
We can't just wash our hands of it ... We have a responsibility to these regions to restore peace and nation build them to be stable or it just ends up hurting us in the end.

QFT

"A people will forgive you for conquering them if along the way you give them better schools, better roads, and a higher standard of living than they had before. Look at Germany and Japan. A people will not forgive you for conquering them if you then go home to watch the Superbowl."
- writer Daniel Keys Moran, after the first George Bush war.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Parak

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 15:45:54 »
If I were the president of the USA... actually, that's useless in more ways than one. I wouldn't settle for anything less than The Dictator of Humanity. I'd be a benevolent one. Mostly. I promise. Mostly.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 15:59:53 »
Quote from: ripster;254543
I doubt most people here could become President of the Harvard Law Review let alone the US.

I dunno...there's a lot of people here who can "talk" :D
And that seems to be pretty much the only requirement anymore :(

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 16:30:23 »
Quote from: chimera15;254459

thats the sarah palin school of governmental philosophy.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 05:45:31 »
If I was prez, there would be black jack and hookers

Offline godly_music

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 16:18:47 »
Topic is a bit redundant. You don't get to be president until you've sold out, until you've suckled on the corporate teets, until you've learned to play the game and keep your humanity in a self-sustaining bubble for the little things like taking your kids to the park or boning your wife, while you're being a royal prick at the office.

It's easy to point your finger at things wrong with the political program while your heart's still a healthy shade of red. A worthy re-purposing of this thread would be to list politicians that should not be put to the wall and shot when capitalism turns our world into a frenzied wasteland.

I'm putting spikes on my leather jacket as we speak.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 16:41:01 »
i could watch clinton all day.

he looks a little emaciated here, that's just him loosing weight and saying oh sh## i'm eating too many burgers.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-september-16-2010/exclusive---bill-clinton-extended-interview-pt--1

Offline Brian8bit

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 18:42:38 »
If I was president of the USA I'd apologise for being "that" guy at the party of the world. The obnoxious ****. That drinks to much. Get's belligerent. Breaks other peoples ****. Then tells them it's for their own good.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 19:20:58 »
Holy crap!  I hope you are never president.  (I guess you would be a dictator with that power)

If I could mold the government, I'd rectify the excesses of our federal government and reign it back in.  Specifically, I'd do the following:

Repeal the 17th ammendment - US Senators are meant to represent the state governments and should be elected by and report to the state legislatures.  These massive state-wide elections wasting millions of dollars need to stop.  And senators need to do their job and represent their state government interests...  not investigate baseball, school lunches, entertain celebrities, etc.  Ridiculous.

Slash the size of the Federal Government - Because a need exist doesn't mean it is the federal government's job to fulfill it.  Retirement, health care, unemployment subsidies, education, etc, etc should be handled at the state and local level.  The federal government should be limited to national defense and inter-state commerce.  I would eliminate the majority of the federal government as well as put a cap on how long Congress is in session.  When state legislatures are in session, the US Senators should be THERE, not in DC.  When they are in DC, they should stay in a barracks and NOT set up residence.  Same with US Representatives.  Spend the time in your home districts when not in DC (and stay in those same barracks when Congress is in session).

Get rid of the Federal Income Tax - Get rid of this tax and dismantle the huge infrastructure (IRS) that is needed to manage it.  Go with either a MODEST national sales tax (my preference) or have each of the states pay a certain, representative sum to the federal government for it's operations.  The states can fund their budgets however they like...state income tax, sales taxes, etc.  If we don't like how one state does it, we have the choice to move to another state.

Term Limits - Two terms max for all offices.  And no retirement plans, special health care plans, etc for members of Congress.  Serve your country and then return to the workforce.  The president is a special case and should be treated as such (inline with current policy...although I don't see why we need to fund their libraries or allow them to rent out space to secret service agents.  They should provide lodging for the secret service...buy a house with a spare bedroom for crying out loud!)  

I agree with you here, but I'd go a little further. Here's what I would do:

First off, I'd bring back analog TV (I miss my Sony Watchman!). I'd have simply decreased the bandwidth instead of eliminating it altogether. You don't need all that much to fit six channels.

Create a Constitutional amendment restricting budget deficit.

Phase out any welfare at the federal level. Leave that up to the states.

Abolish Obamacare. Leave that up to the states too.

Abolish all public employee unions.

Phase out Social Security. It's getting to the point where you're going to be paying more into the system than you'll be getting out.

Reform the postal service and allow private shipping companies to use US Mail boxes.

NO subsidies/special interest spending till there is a budget surplus that is 120% the amount alotted for such purposes.

A good way to do this is to gradually phase out these welfare programs and give states the opportunity to take over them. In the end, the federal government would be much smaller and more efficient.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 20:30:35 »
I hope y'all are running for office with all of these wonderful ideas.  Your confidence is inspiring.

Offline maclover

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 22:25:50 »
  • I would pass legislation that would require voters to pass an extensive test about political theory, economic theory, policies and issues before being eligible to vote. I would also pass legislation that would let people vote during one week instead of one day and have one day during that week be a national holiday.
  • Legalize gay marriage.
  • Let gays serve in the military.
  • After that I would use 90% of the defense budget on research and development, and education in order to compete with China.
  • I would cut out the middle man and let citizens and corporations loan directly from the fed. Subsidizing the financial sector is ineffective and wasteful.
  • In order to cut costs for the federal government and the public I would move to a single payer health care system. I would void all patents related to health care, again cutting costs. Patents should serve the public good.
  • In order to boost the creative industry and compete with China I would reduce copyright term and patents to 2-5 years. I would also extend and modify the concept of fair use.
  • Private prisons would be removed, the death penalty would be removed. The current prison system would be reformed and more thoroughly regulated. The current crime rate in prison is far too high.
  • Reform telecom, broadband regulation in order to increase competition and investments in infrastructure. It's been done in other countries. Force corporations that want to get a license from the government to operate as a telecom to invest a percent of their profit on upgrading infrastructure.
  • Regulate the financial industry more. There is still too much risk.
  • Force the FBI to focus on corruption within corporations and government(especially police and prisons).
  • I would start taxing corporations and millionaires more effectively by removing as many tax loopholes as possible. If you want to operate in the United States you pay taxes in order to fund the infrastructure that you benefit from. I would make the tax code more progressive(the rich pays more) and less regressive(the poor pays more). The rich will still be rich but the poor will be a little less poor.
  • Enforce competition in markets where there isn't enough of it. Split up most large corporations into different entities in order to increase competition. Hunt down and destroy cartels more effectively either through legislation or better enforcement. The market isn't as effective when there's monopolies or oligopolies that do not compete.
  • I would remove all military bases from the middle east and place them along the border of Mexico. Then build more nuclear power plants in the USA and legalize weed.
  • Force Israel and Palestine to create a two state solution more forcefully.
  • Cooperate with China in order to force South and North Korea to reunite.
  • Stop supporting totalitarian regimes. Stop sending money to Hamid Karzais personal bank account.
  • Create legislation that would promote a 6 hour work day. Play farmville at home instead.
  • Give Julian Assange a medal.

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 02:17:14 »
Quote from: maclover;255334
  • After that I would use 90% of the defense budget on research and development, and education in order to compete with China.

Where would you get the loan from?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 06:55:08 »
I vote for maclover.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 07:53:33 »
he didn't say he'd legalise weed. Can't get my vote like that

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 08:18:05 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;255518
he didn't say he'd legalise weed. Can't get my vote like that

Yes she did. Although I agree with that one, Maclover is way too liberal for my tastes...some of her ideas are ridiculous. Spend 90% of the defense budget on R&D? That statement doesn't even make sense. iMav gets my vote =)