Author Topic: A new, eager student  (Read 2633 times)

Offline The Mick-a-nator

A new, eager student
« on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 11:14:40 »
Greetings, all!

I'm relatively new to the world of mechanical keyboards (I think the first one I ever used was the one I bought with my first pc build ~1 year ago!) and since I recently refreshed my soldering techniques replacing my laptop's power port, I now feel like an electronics god! I'm also a stickler for ergonomics (standing desk, check. anti-fatigue mat, check. dvorak, check. stretch routine, check) so I've decided to make an ErgoDOX. I also want to make a couple of modifications to the design; just customisations, nothing major.
You guys & gals have all the knowledge, so once I get the ball rolling I'll probably start a thread to track my progress and harvest your advice!
See ya around, folks!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: A new, eager student
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 11:17:42 »
Welcome! Any thoughts on what switch type you're going to use in the Ergodox? Perhaps some Ergo Clears?

Offline The Mick-a-nator

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 11:28:30 »
Welcome! Any thoughts on what switch type you're going to use in the Ergodox? Perhaps some Ergo Clears?
I just picked up a bunch of Gateron browns for now. They seem like a nice middle-of-the-road switch for my needs (I'm a gamer and a programmer. I'd like both to be comfortable with the one keyboard.)
Switch mods are probably a bit beyond me at this point too, and I'm not sure the benefits would be worth the time and effort for me. Perhaps for version 2 though! :P

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 11:30:46 »
I just picked up a bunch of Gateron browns for now. They seem like a nice middle-of-the-road switch for my needs (I'm a gamer and a programmer. I'd like both to be comfortable with the one keyboard.)
Switch mods are probably a bit beyond me at this point too, and I'm not sure the benefits would be worth the time and effort for me. Perhaps for version 2 though! :P

Makes sense, at least you know what you're after, so it seems like you're off to a solid start! :thumb:

The switch mods seem intimidating, but it's not as bad as you'd think (and if/when you do decide to do it, skip the stickering portion, as it's just a huge time sink for minimal to no gain).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 12:54:20 »
Greetings, all!

I'm relatively new to the world of mechanical keyboards (I think the first one I ever used was the one I bought with my first pc build ~1 year ago!) and since I recently refreshed my soldering techniques replacing my laptop's power port, I now feel like an electronics god! I'm also a stickler for ergonomics (standing desk, check. anti-fatigue mat, check. dvorak, check. stretch routine, check) so I've decided to make an ErgoDOX. I also want to make a couple of modifications to the design; just customisations, nothing major.
You guys & gals have all the knowledge, so once I get the ball rolling I'll probably start a thread to track my progress and harvest your advice!
See ya around, folks!
Do you have one of those standing desk treadmills? I watched a Linus Torvalds office tour video recently, and he has one of those. Anyway, welcome to GH, I look forward to seeing that ErgoDox if you decide to post pictures  :D
Chris Schammert

Offline The Mick-a-nator

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:27:45 »
Do you have one of those standing desk treadmills? I watched a Linus Torvalds office tour video recently, and he has one of those. Anyway, welcome to GH, I look forward to seeing that ErgoDox if you decide to post pictures  :D
No way, my desk is way too ghetto for that! I built it on a budget from some bookcases and furniture board. Part of me really wants one, but another part of me thinks that a stool might be better as I tend to pace and move a lot anyway.

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:47:21 »

Sounds like a hell of a fun project dude! Make sure to keep us updated!  :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:26:30 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a whole ergonomics section, where you might be able to share some of your knowledge and experience of ergonomics.

The best place to create a build log thread is in making stuff together.

Out of curiosity where are you getting your Ergo Dox kit from?  Massdrop?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The Mick-a-nator

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 04:13:19 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a whole ergonomics section, where you might be able to share some of your knowledge and experience of ergonomics.

Thanks! I've had a browse of the ergonomics section and I might share some of my findings from my dvorak experience.
As for the ergodox, I'm actually trying to source all the parts myself.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 04:09:10 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks! I've had a browse of the ergonomics section and I might share some of my findings from my dvorak experience.
As for the ergodox, I'm actually trying to source all the parts myself.

That would be great if you could :)  Questions about alternative layouts do come up from time to time.

Sourcing parts yourself is possible, but probably a bit more expensive than buying a kit, the reason being that you're only buying enough for one keyboard and thus won't get much, if any, discount on the parts.  Compared to someone buying enough parts for 1000 keyboards and selling them on.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ