Author Topic: Pro Micro USB improvement  (Read 2982 times)

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
Pro Micro USB improvement
« on: Sat, 26 March 2022, 01:21:32 »
Having ripped the micro usb connector off of two pro micros (one less than an hour after replacing the first one) I decided to attempt a mechanical fix of sorts.
I put some 5-minute epoxy behind the connector and also put a dab under the front back to the edge of the pcb. Here's some pictures:
284196-0
Epoxy on front of connector
284198-1
Epoxy behind connector

I am hoping that the two glue joints will give enough mechanical attachement to prevent the poor smd pads from getting ripped off the board.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline smollchungus

• (:
Re: Pro Micro USB improvement
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 March 2022, 03:16:49 »
Have encountered this issue several times as well, started just using elite-c controllers, which have a much more robust usb-c port. Nice fix though (:

Offline hvontres

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 March 2022, 16:50:22 »
I'll probably order usb c versions going forward, but this is my last one and I really want to work on the board :)
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline smollchungus

• (:
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 04:26:19 »
I'll probably order usb c versions going forward, but this is my last one and I really want to work on the board :)

Yeah those work nicely as well! Be carefull with the dimensions when designing cases for those usb-c pro micros, they tend to be slightly longer than the original ones

Offline hvontres

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 05:31:43 »
The same trick should work on RPI picos as well.
Henry von Tresckow

Offline jamster

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 05:52:49 »
Have encountered this issue several times as well, started just using elite-c controllers, which have a much more robust usb-c port. Nice fix though (:

Any idea how to get the Elite-C recognised by the Arduino IDE? I tried it the other day and no device is recognised via any COM ports.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 12:57:49 »
The best fix for micro B is to eliminate the thing that breaks them, stress.

Lookup magnetic USB cables (several of us here use Netdot gen 10), haven't had any problems since. Bonus, it de-clutters your desk as you don't need 3 different cables for 3 different devices just one cable and three tips (type C, Micro B, Lightning). I hate sounding like an advertisement for these things, but they really are awesome.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 March 2022, 12:59:45 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline smollchungus

• (:
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 20:16:00 »

Any idea how to get the Elite-C recognised by the Arduino IDE? I tried it the other day and no device is recognised via any COM ports.

To the best of my knowledge, you would have to flash the caterina bootloader(arduinos bootloader), as the elite-c comes with the atmel-dfu by default

Offline jamster

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 03:15:02 »

To the best of my knowledge, you would have to flash the caterina bootloader(arduinos bootloader), as the elite-c comes with the atmel-dfu by default

Ah, thanks. So a bit more fiddling around than using something like an Arduino Leonardo then (which is what I ended up with, just happen to have a couple of unused Elite-Cs sitting around).

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 11:01:28 »

USB type c is trash as well, although certainly stronger than micro USB. Chromebooks powered by it continue to drop like flies at work. I wouldn't even bother prioritizing one over the other myself unless you need the specific interfacing and/or charging characteristics of type c.

I have always globbed high temperature hot glue on any tiny USB connectors on devices I have apart (besides mini USB, never been able to break one of those). It is rigid enough to prevent failure, but can be reheated to reshape easily (even with the tip of a soldering iron) and sets quickly. It can also be carefully cut and peeled off of just about any non porous surface without damaging it, especially with a little isopropyl alcohol to seep between it and the bonded surface. Project Farm (a Youtube channel) did some pretty thorough testing and found Stanley's dual melt sticks to be the most robust and after having switched to them, they're certainly the best I have ever used personally.

The only down side is that if whatever is reinforced with the stuff is sitting in a hot car for a few hours, the glue might get a little soft.

Lookup magnetic USB cables (several of us here use Netdot gen 10), haven't had any problems since. Bonus, it de-clutters your desk as you don't need 3 different cables for 3 different devices just one cable and three tips (type C, Micro B, Lightning). I hate sounding like an advertisement for these things, but they really are awesome.

These really are great. I just wish they had just a bit stronger magnetic field. Usually not a problem used static on a desk, but they just flop off when using a controller pretty easily. I imagine any stronger of a field and the flimsy plastic parts of the adapter might start snapping though. I still like them even for controllers much more than the alternative.

Offline vvp

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 13:26:19 »
Never buy a product with surface mount connectors.
That is the main problem here.
Even micro usb receptacle is not that bad if it is through hole.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 13:35:13 »
If you're designing your own keyboard for 3D-printing, another way to avoid stress on the connector would be to design that the cable goes in a cable channel with a tab that holds it in place.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 14:53:34 »
If you're designing your own keyboard for 3D-printing, another way to avoid stress on the connector would be to design that the cable goes in a cable channel with a tab that holds it in place.
True, but that makes it harder to design and change the cable.

Also most people designing their own boards are using Pro-Micros which adds thickness so they tend to be right at the back, it's just not as practical as leaving the port exposed.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion