Author Topic: Hi all!  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Norwegian

Hi all!
« on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 00:08:31 »
Hi,

I'm a 34 soon to be 35 year old male from Norway, and I happened to come across this forum not too long ago, when I was searching for some reviews and comparisons of various mechanical keyboards. I spent quite some time reading various threads, and thought it was an interesting forum.

So, how did I come upon mechanical keyboards? Well, a few years ago I overheard a conversation about these "mechanical" keyboards, but didn't really register. It wasn't until almost a year ago when I accidentally spilled Coke on my cheap 12-years old Logitech wireless rubber dome, that I had to consider finally getting a new keyboard. First off, I realize I said I spilled Coke on a keyboard - something that probably is a scary thought to many on this forum (and still is to me) - but what happened really won't happen again, as I don't drink near my keyboard in the first place, so...

I cleaned my keyboard, but it just wasn't the same. When telling some friends that I wanted a new keyboard, I was re-introduced to the concept of mechanical keyboards again, but this time I got a thorough explanation, which really interested me.

After a couple of days of reading, I bought my first keyboard: The Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Green LED, with MX Brown switches. I chose Brown because they sounded like nice all-around switches for my usage (some gaming, mostly typing).

And the first time I tried them, I was in heaven. I had actually planned on keeping the old rubber dome - perhaps for nostalgia for lasting so long, but when I tried typing on it again after an hour on the Ducky, I felt violated if not desecrated, and almost offended, and promptly threw it straight into the trashcan, with zero regrets...

Then not too long after I bought that keyboard, I came across a rather nice offer for a new Filco Majestouch2 91 tkl MX Red, so I bought that too...

And then I came upon a new in box, unused Model M 52G9658, which I also purchased...

And so I realized that with mechanical keyboards, it's hard to have only one keyboard. They are different. They make you look at your wallet many times. And well, I guess you all know how this is!

Now a year later, I just recently purchased two more keyboards, which I really look forward to receiving, and using: The Leopold FC660M MX Green, and the HHKB Pro2 PD-KB400W. (The American and European prices for the HHKB is too much for me, but purchasing it from Japan was much more reasonable.)

My current WPM is at about 90, though I want to raise it to 120. I  type using QWERTY, and haven't really thought about either Dvorak or Colemak, and I'm not sure if I should consider it or not. Perhaps one day I'll try it.

Well, with a bunch of keyboards I realize I still want more, and there's plenty of models - both vintage and new that I am interested in.

Nice to have found your forum, I'll keep on reading various threads!
Ducky Shine 2 Green LED MX Brown | Filco Majestouch2 91 TKL MX Red | Model F 5150 XT | Model M 52G9658 | Leopold FC660M MX Green | HHKB Pro2 PD-KB400W

Offline Chau

• .5 Korean, .25 Vietnamese, .25 Chinese, Oz accent
Re: Hi all!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 00:36:14 »
Welcome. Do you have a favourite switch?

Offline Norwegian

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 00:42:42 »
Hi Chau,

I've used Ducky the most, which has the brown switches, and I really like it. But typing on the Model M is also quite fantastic. Now and then I change keyboards and then type on the Model M instead of the Ducky.

The red switch was nice, but I don't enjoy typing on it that much. With the Leopold and HHKB coming to me soon, I wonder how the green switches will feel compared to the brown, and in particular how the the Topre will be.
Ducky Shine 2 Green LED MX Brown | Filco Majestouch2 91 TKL MX Red | Model F 5150 XT | Model M 52G9658 | Leopold FC660M MX Green | HHKB Pro2 PD-KB400W

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 04:28:26 »
Fint å se at det finnes ande i landet med like sære hobbyer.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 04:29:39 »
Fint å se at det finnes ande i landet med like sære hobbyer.

:thumb:
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)