Author Topic: IBM Model M Modification, Codename: Hatchetfish  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Talfrey

IBM Model M Modification, Codename: Hatchetfish
« on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 21:06:20 »
I am starting a project I though might actual warrant a post.

I just bought an IBM model M off of ebay and plan to do some modding to it.

First thing I plan to do is replace the current key set with a set of blank black keys from unicomp. Trying to source a location that still sells them since I didn't see them on pckeyboard.com.

The second thing I plan to do is use plastidip to dunk the entire keyboard deck in a nice durable black grippy plastic finish. I already have plastidip, just might actually need more than I currently have to coat the entire board.

The final modification will be in the form of a side embedded LED lighting system, intended to light the area around the keys, but not backlight the keys themselves. I already have a set of LEDs and the everything I need to wire it, only thing I'm not sure of is if the original connection will be able to power the sucker. Does anyone know much about replacing such things?

Offline wcass

IBM Model M Modification, Codename: Hatchetfish
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 08:36:05 »
If i were you, i would just dye the keys with RIT. Full black-out is actually easy to get as most dark dye colors end up there if you leave them in the dye bath a few minutes too long.

as for the the LEDs, others get away with adding multiple LEDs so you should be OK. You might check this out:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:21436