Author Topic: [GB] Round 1: CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit (CLOSED)  (Read 236808 times)

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
So, my CA66 is having a strange issue. I was using it with my work Macbook Pro, and it was fine for hours, but then I woke the laptop from sleep mode. The LEDs turned white, and the keyboard is no longer working. I unplugged and replugged it, which didn't work. I have tried reflashing it but it will not enter bootloader mode. The LEDs come on but are solid white. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Sounds exactly like an issue myself and some other QMK users are experiencing (with an M65-A). There was a closed issue on GitHub that I recently posted on and resurrected - please read through this and follow these instructions. I think it will help. And ignore the "boot magic" stuff, it seems to just be an issue when going in/out of sleep mode with RGB on.

https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/issues/2197

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home from work. I tried it on three different computers and nothing worked, so I'll see how these instructions go!

Offline Brammm87

I just tried some LEDs for some in switch lighting but noticed that the LEDs are suuuper dim. Can you adjust brightness somehow or is that just the way it is? I see on the flashing tool that there's apparently keys to increase brightness on the first layer, but I can't seem to control anything. Mind you, I haven't soldered in switches yet, I'm just jumping the contacts atm with pieces of wire, maybe I'm doing something wrong. What's the default layer 1 button?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 June 2018, 11:06:19 by Brammm87 »
pls gief bbv2

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
I just tried some LEDs for some in switch lighting but noticed that the LEDs are suuuper dim. Can you adjust brightness somehow or is that just the way it is? I see on the flashing tool that there's apparently keys to increase brightness on the first layer, but I can't seem to control anything. Mind you, I haven't soldered in switches yet, I'm just jumping the contacts atm with pieces of wire, maybe I'm doing something wrong. What's the default layer 1 button?

Please try to flash the board with your own hex file first, and put some light function keys to increase brightness.
That might do it.

Offline Brammm87

She's a beaut. Need to get a fitting cable and maybe some different keycaps. Though I sorta like how Oblivion looks on the blue gray.
pls gief bbv2

Offline Stagione

Show Image

She's a beaut. Need to get a fitting cable and maybe some different keycaps. Though I sorta like how Oblivion looks on the blue gray.

I think it looks great the way it is :thumb:

Offline KeLorean

Also here goes my build, I'll put some more info once I resolve left arrow key issue.
pretty nice! is that the red case with dev/tty hipro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline Brammm87

Please try to flash the board with your own hex file first, and put some light function keys to increase brightness.
That might do it.
Have my own hex flashed now, everything works much better. Google Translate was sorta needed to find my way around the Chinese :p
pls gief bbv2

Offline child

Also here goes my build, I'll put some more info once I resolve left arrow key issue.
pretty nice! is that the red case with dev/tty hipro?

It is /dev/tty, but the profile is named MT3 I think, HiPro usually refers to rare Realforce (Topre) profile.

Offline child

Show Image

I also like this color combination. I tried some of my keysets and the one that looks best on my dark red case is /dev/tty with white alphas.

Offline BobCarltheThird

Hey does anyone have the translation for the Chinese symbols on the TMK layout editor? Changing the language doesn't seem to help.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline wowremy

Can we talk about bottom row layouts? Why do some people prefer the 1u in by the spacebar and others on the outside? I feel like Alt should be larger and next to space. Why change it?

Offline CptSpck

Finally got the whole thing put together, and I'm getting a strange issue.  When I press any of the keys in the row above the homing row, it registers the key I pressed and then the key directly below it, and if I hold the key down it sees the key below it as being held down.  All the other rows are working fine

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
Show Image

Looks awesome, I have SA Oblivion due in a few weeks (hopefully) seriously considering it for my board after seeing that.

Offline Lndefinite

Finally got the whole thing put together, and I'm getting a strange issue.  When I press any of the keys in the row above the homing row, it registers the key I pressed and then the key directly below it, and if I hold the key down it sees the key below it as being held down.  All the other rows are working fine

Dang, did you check if the PCB worked normal before soldering? There might be something shorting the top and bottom rows.

Offline Bael_Zharon

So, my CA66 is having a strange issue. I was using it with my work Macbook Pro, and it was fine for hours, but then I woke the laptop from sleep mode. The LEDs turned white, and the keyboard is no longer working. I unplugged and replugged it, which didn't work. I have tried reflashing it but it will not enter bootloader mode. The LEDs come on but are solid white. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Sounds exactly like an issue myself and some other QMK users are experiencing (with an M65-A). There was a closed issue on GitHub that I recently posted on and resurrected - please read through this and follow these instructions. I think it will help. And ignore the "boot magic" stuff, it seems to just be an issue when going in/out of sleep mode with RGB on.

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home from work. I tried it on three different computers and nothing worked, so I'll see how these instructions go!

Any luck?

Offline Brammm87

Can we talk about bottom row layouts? Why do some people prefer the 1u in by the spacebar and others on the outside? I feel like Alt should be larger and next to space. Why change it?

Most of the time I'm on a Mac. I'm used to having the OS key next to the spacebar. For keycap compatibility, most Alt's are 1.25u and you always have lots of 1u novelties that you can use for an OS key, so that's why I've decided to put the 1u key next to space.

Show Image

Looks awesome, I have SA Oblivion due in a few weeks (hopefully) seriously considering it for my board after seeing that.

This board begs for SA keycaps. Do it.
pls gief bbv2

Offline CptSpck

Dang, did you check if the PCB worked normal before soldering? There might be something shorting the top and bottom rows.

It was working before I soldered it, and I also checked with a multimeter to see that it wasn’t actually an electrical issue (ie, when I pressed one of the switches on the top row, the contacts of the switch below it did not have conductivity). Then, while in the process of frustratedly mashing keys, it suddenly stopped having the problem, and it now works fine. I’m guessing that it was some sort of software issue with the firmware.

Offline Lotsati

A part of me was hoping I wouldn't like this board so I could sell it and have some extra money but... look at this thing X_X

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep

Any luck?

Sorry, I'm on the graveyard shift and haven't had a chance until now to get to work on it. I'll let you know what I find out! Really hope I can get it working, love this board so much.

Offline feedbaack

A part of me was hoping I wouldn't like this board so I could sell it and have some extra money but... look at this thing X_X

Show Image

Damn that's classy af I can understand that haha   :))

Offline child

I just used some cheap car silencing mat - one layer near the bottom (because I think another one would not fit), two layers in the upper half. Echo is gone and the keyboard is significantly heavier, which is to my liking.

Unfortunately it seems it's the Zilents springs that are causing ping, so I need to think about replacing or lubing (?) them.

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
Update: my CA66 is still unresponsive after attempting on different computers, holding down all different combination of buttons, trying multiple times to enter bootloader mode, and even flashing DFU-programmer. The LEDs light up but it is not recognized by any computers. It doesn't even show up as a USB device. At this point I am not sure what else to try, and I'm nervous about using my backup PCB as I have no idea what caused this issue. If anyone has any ideas I am all ears.

Offline Brammm87

I made a little sound clip comparing the CA66 with my box navies to a lubed Leopold FC980C. Mic isn't the best quality, things sound a little sharper IRL, I feel. But you can hear the pinging quite well.

https://soundcloud.com/brammm-1/leopold-fc980c-lubed-vs-ca66-with-box-navy-switches

I've ordered some sound dampening foam and will glue that to the bottom plate, hopefully that resolves some things. Or should I attach it to the bottom of the pcb? 
pls gief bbv2

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
Final update: Looks like the culprit is likely my Macbook Pro at work. It's one of the new USB-C only versions, and people are reporting that these are frying peripherals due to weird power surges in the ports. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16971052

I've messaged PlayKeyboardTW and hopefully there are extra PCBs available, because I do like having a backup. Be careful where you're plugging in your keyboards apparently!

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.

Finished my build last weekend, Dark Grey case, Brass plate, MX Zilent switches, MaxKeys SA Ashen caps.

This is such a nice board. it's far lighter than it looks like it should be, but still has a nice heft to it.
Programming was super easy with qmk configurator. though or some reason the up arrow of the arrow cluster and the bottom key in the nav column were switched when I flashed it.

Thank you PlayKeyboardTW for running such a great GB!

Offline KeLorean

noice!! this looks great!

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline Bael_Zharon

Show Image

Finished my build last weekend, Dark Grey case, Brass plate, MX Zilent switches, MaxKeys SA Ashen caps.

This is such a nice board. it's far lighter than it looks like it should be, but still has a nice heft to it.
Programming was super easy with qmk configurator. though or some reason the up arrow of the arrow cluster and the bottom key in the nav column were switched when I flashed it.

Beautiful!

Offline ctrl

For those who want to custom your plates and badges, you can find them files here (also in the bottom of main post):
https://goo.gl/DXNwqL

Enjoy! :thumb:

Excellent! Thank you! :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Got my CA66 week before but i've waited with the build in order to get my experimental plate.
IMG_6696 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr
IMG_6699 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr
IMG_6717 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr
IMG_6721 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr
IMG_6729 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr
IMG_6739 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr

Offline KeLorean

Got my CA66 week before but i've waited with the build in order to get my experimental plate.
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
looks good man

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline Bael_Zharon

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Looking really good! I happened to get my hands on one from /r/mechmarket and built it last night with your SA sculpt on it. I’ll post photos soon.

Offline Duckunderscore

kinda kicking myself in the ass for missing this rip

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop

Show Image

Love the combo. I am always into blue stuffs. :p

Show Image

Thanks for the love. :-*
It's lighter than other keebs since we kinda want everyone has the opportunity to bring it around. :p

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Wooooo nice to see the designer I like sharing his own keyset as our commercial photos. :eek:
Would you mind to share your experiment with me? ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 June 2018, 20:32:30 by PlayKeyboardTW »

Offline online

Here is mine.

Offline Vigrith

Offline toastyparty

can't wait for this to hit again. goddamn it's so beautiful.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
Wooooo nice to see the designer I like sharing his own keyset as our commercial photos. :eek:
Would you mind to share me your experiment with me? ;D

Hey really like the CA66 keyboard.

In case of my experiment: I am still testing. Had to relube my switches from superlube to krytox. Was not happy with superlube. I will probably release an article here on geekhack about my experimental plate, so every keyboard designer may consider to feature it in their keyboard ;) So far i am really pleased with the result of my experiment.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr

Offline 1corazon

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE PLEASE CAN SOME ONE EMAIL ME I NEED THIS CASE !!!!!!!

Offline Kerasan

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE PLEASE CAN SOME ONE EMAIL ME I NEED THIS CASE !!!!!!!

it's normal, I understand you, when this hobby becomes an illness, we have all these reactions.  :)) :p

KMK Labs.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Would you mind to share me your experiment with me? ;D

Here you are ;)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96105.0

I have to say it's more than interesting. Might need to make one to feel it in person. :eek:

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Here is mine.

Oooh, old school look ;)

Show Image

This is some classic color combo.

Offline driftingbunnies

Any extras? or maybe R2? :)

Offline vewy_nice

This was already round 3 (or 3.5, can't remember)
I think it was the last round, too.

Offline garbo

Any extras? or maybe R2? :)

that you have all these people interested in another GB, it should happen again soon, right?  :p

Will make another IC after all orders are done completely.

Offline Daellin

Not sure if this was already mentioned: I've ordered some sound dampening foam (neoprene specifically) to help get rid of the hollow sound. It definitely worked, but 1/4" inch was too big and i could only screw on the top 3 screws of the backplate.

So I'd recommend 1/8" neoprene if you can find that specific thickness for anyone looking for a more solid sound.

I think typing without the backplate also helps to get rid of the hollow sound, but sound dampening foam with the backplate screwed on is the best typing experience.

Offline vewy_nice

More
Show Image

How has nobody commented on this?
Is that just a camera trick? That looks SO WHITE! I'm actually kind of jealous...
BEAUTIFUL!

Offline broden

I also wanted to post that I finally got around to building mine. Box Royals which feel a lot smoother on the SA Row1 than I anticipated. (Scratchy experience with Hakos in the past).

This has been a great GB experience for me, lots of communication and status updates, even videos on the shipping. It might feel mundane but I know participants like me just loved the transparency of it.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
More
Show Image

How has nobody commented on this?
Is that just a camera trick? That looks SO WHITE! I'm actually kind of jealous...
BEAUTIFUL!

I did! :p

I also wanted to post that I finally got around to building mine. Box Royals which feel a lot smoother on the SA Row1 than I anticipated. (Scratchy experience with Hakos in the past).

This has been a great GB experience for me, lots of communication and status updates, even videos on the shipping. It might feel mundane but I know participants like me just loved the transparency of it.

Show Image
Show Image

Oh! Love this retro look. :thumb: