Author Topic: Cherry Profile vs DSA?  (Read 27503 times)

Offline Pavilions

Cherry Profile vs DSA?
« on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 23:41:26 »
Which one do you prefer and why? the Cherry Profile or the DSA keycaps? and why?
 :D
also if possible suggest any keycaps that you feel it looks perfect :cool:

Offline zslane

Re: Cherry Profile vs DSA?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 11:48:34 »
I prefer DSA because I dislike cylindrical keycaps and love spherical keycaps. However, I do wish DSA had sculpted profiles as an option. The good news there is that Signature Plastics is working on making new DSS molds, albeit very slowly.  :thumb:

Offline JianYang

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 12:26:30 »
Cherry (Gateron PBT)
DSA I find promotes hovering higher above the keys, which reinforces poor typing habits. I really don't mind the DSA, and I like the look, but cherry is more practical.

Offline meniscus-

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 14:42:57 »
I prefer DSA because all the keys are the same, this means that I can place any key where I want.

Also, I love how it looks. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t care how many keys look, it is a very important part of customization for me.
Anything larger than a 65% is extraneous!

Offline tofu-water

• I make video game art and sweat
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 16:39:04 »
I just love the look and feel of DSA, though I do think sculpted profiles are more practical for your fingers to know where they are on the board. But DSA is too pretty for me to now use it. Currently drooling over 9009 though. Such a classic looking set. Also DSA Seafoam.  ;D
Current daily driver: Atreus62 w/ vintage blacks and Zealios with QMX clips. Acrylic is bae.

Offline meniscus-

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 19:26:20 »
I prefer DSA because I dislike cylindrical keycaps and love spherical keycaps. However, I do wish DSA had sculpted profiles as an option. The good news there is that Signature Plastics is working on making new DSS molds, albeit very slowly.  :thumb:

Check out Zfrontier’s KAT profile
Anything larger than a 65% is extraneous!

Offline starhacker

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 15:47:39 »
I like OEM/Cherry profile. The aesthetics and feel are great. I like it for programming and gaming. I just got HyperFuse Origins in Cherry and it looks great! Although you do lose customization possibilities with sculpted profiles. Certain keys must go on certain rows.

Unless my eyesight is failing me, I couldn't find a pg-up/pg-down with the proper profile to fit the Tada68 with my HyperFuse set. The Tada68 has pg-up and pg-down on the lower rows.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 04:14:33 »
I like OEM/Cherry profile. The aesthetics and feel are great. I like it for programming and gaming. I just got HyperFuse Origins in Cherry and it looks great! Although you do lose customization possibilities with sculpted profiles. Certain keys must go on certain rows.

Unless my eyesight is failing me, I couldn't find a pg-up/pg-down with the proper profile to fit the Tada68 with my HyperFuse set. The Tada68 has pg-up and pg-down on the lower rows.

Unless you just go for blank keycaps, then there is no limitation on customization.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 05:40:51 »
Lower profile and more contour is better IMHO. Of those profiles mentioned so far, Cherry profile is therefore the best. Signature plastics' "DCS" profile is even better.
As to spherical vs. cylindrical, I don't have an opinion.

Unless you just go for blank keycaps, then there is no limitation on customization.
One problem when using blank keycaps on custom layouts and custom keyboards is that they often have too few home row keys.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 July 2018, 05:45:03 by Findecanor »

Offline JianYang

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 11:13:50 »
One problem when using blank keycaps on custom layouts and custom keyboards is that they often have too few home row keys.

Well, I guess that depends on your layout, but a 104 key set has enough 1u keys for a 50%. I usually have a problem with the bottom row, and have to resort to mixing profiles.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 13:23:30 »
Well, I guess that depends on your layout, but a 104 key set has enough 1u keys for a 50%. I usually have a problem with the bottom row, and have to resort to mixing profiles.
Well, if the key set came with dished or bumpy F and J keys, and you don't like them on your 60% - TKL  ... a typical full-size set has only two additional keys without bumps on the numpad, leaving no key for a nav column or cursor keys on home row.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 04:11:22 »
Well, if the key set came with dished or bumpy F and J keys, and you don't like them on your 60% - TKL  ... a typical full-size set has only two additional keys without bumps on the numpad, leaving no key for a nav column or cursor keys on home row.
Yup. But on the upside, they are usually so much cheaper that you can just buy 2 sets  :D

Offline method_

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 03:50:49 »

Check out Zfrontier’s KAT profile

Wow, amazing
thock program.

Offline hknmng

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 22:31:31 »
I have just bought a DSA profile keyboard (the Vortex Race3). I have been using Cherry / OEM profile keyboards until now.

I find DSA profile is tiring for my fingers when I type on it. I find that I have to curve my fingers too much to type, and I make more typos with this DSA profile keys.

Cherry or OEM profile lets my finger rest on the keys naturally and I can type for hours on it with my fingers feeling comfortable.

I think I will go back to my OEM profile keyboard (Durgod Taurus K320 - cherry mx silent red).

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 11:26:05 »
Cherry for comfort/speed/aesthetics/acoustics all day, SA is probably the only profile more aesthetically/acoustically pleasing.. Not as comfortable as cherry and speed seems to depend on the person.. I can type on SA just about as fast as Cherry profile.

DSA for looks?  Overall a pretty boring set of keycaps that I cant for the life of me seem to type very fast on without a lot of mistakes.. Granted I only played with them for a week or so, perhaps I didnt give them enough time or something, but intuitively, they are definitely not for me..

Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 00:29:58 »
I know the keyboard diagrams on my web site (the domain name expired, I've fixed that, but wait a day before visiting, as it may not have propagated to your area) were made to look like old-style keyboards, rather than the style the IBM PC introduced. I did not now they have a technical term for them now - SA Profile for stepped (which is what my diagrams use for simplicity) and DSA Profile for sculpted. (Oops; at least according to the Signature Plastics web site, it's the other way around.)

I am glad to have learned this, now I can find such keycaps for sale, and find more information.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 April 2019, 00:31:53 by quadibloc »

Offline Bahm78

• https://blog.naver.com/hjg7808
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 18:46:34 »
I prefer Cherry profile.
Maybe it's a result of familiarity.

Offline zslane

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 11:59:51 »
SA Profile for stepped (which is what my diagrams use for simplicity) and DSA Profile for sculpted.

To clarify terminology:

Keycaps aren't stepped. Curved plates are responsible for producing stepped rows.

The SA profile is sculptured; it simulates the effect of a curved plate, but we do not use the word "stepped" to describe this. The DSA profile is uniform flat, it is not sculptured (and we don't use the word "sculpted" either because that is what statues are, not keycaps, unless you are talking about fancy artisans). There is a sculptured version of DSA called DSS, but Signature Plastics is not yet finished getting molds for all the rows.